Best Almost Goals

kidbob

So @DVG7 best goals thread reminded me of this almost incredible goal by Cantona.

I also remember a game against Watford where Giggs almost scored a similar goal and I think Ole scored the rebound (Foster was in goal) but I can't find it or remember the year.

Any other attempts that could have been legendary?

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
The Ronaldo one for Portugal :lol:
I always remember Rooney almost scored a great goal against Reading I think. Honestly a faint memory though

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
i remember an insane karate kick goal by Karl-Heinz Rummenigge when he was playing for Inter, which was disallowed for dangerous play.

Robert

08 champs league final v Chelsea on a proper direct counter when Rooney picked up the ball at right back, pinged it some distance to Ronnie who cut it back to Tevez for the header and Cech saved. Would of been an incredible goal in such a massive game.

edit: 4:25

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Giggs volley from the half way line against Charlton that hit the bar. Utterly ridiculous. Ole scored the rebound

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Rashford rabona cross to Pogba bicycle kick nearly happened.
Speaking of Pogs, he hit the woodwork 10 times in his first season. So many nearlys. Free-kick against Spurs off the inside of the post comes to mind.

kidbob

Giggs volley from the half way line against Charlton that hit the bar. Utterly ridiculous. Ole scored the rebound
Ah that's the goal I was thinking of. For some reason I thought it was Watford!

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Hans-Günter Bruns vs. Rummenigge, Lerby, Dremmler, Augenthaler and Pfaff (hit the post twice for extra theatrics)...

kidbob

08 champs league final v Chelsea on a proper direct counter when Rooney picked up the ball at right back, pinged it some distance to Ronnie who cut it back to Tevez for the header and Cech saved. Would of been an incredible goal in such a massive game.

edit: 4:25

That would have been one of the all time great final goals. Such a pity it never went in, would've seriously changed the game too.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

Deco shoulder pass to Ronaldo bycicle kick off the crossbar and in. I was at the stadium too :mad:

kidbob

The Giggs one, that probably could have been hands down the best goal ever.

kidbob

The 'controversial' Ronnie goal, although Pique is clearly playing Nani onside and the ball may have already been over the line. Either way unbelievable skill by Ronaldo.

Dante

Average bang

Scholes and Rooney both producing world class pieces of skill.

For me, a great goal contains multiple moments of top quality. And if they come from different players, then all the better. Football is supposed to be a team game, after all.

Last edited:

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
The Giggs one, that probably could have been hands down the best goal ever.
Interestingly, Rooney scored an almost identical goal in terms of range in 2014 — with Beckham in the attendance to boot!

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

- I especially love the geezer stood near the middle of the Sharp advertising hoarding who is absolutely convinced it is in and then looks inconsolable that it has been taken away from him. Also press pause on 26 seconds to see the little spoken of competition the East Stand had with itself to do their best impression of "The Scream" in unison.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Ozil vs Barcelona

Would've been one of the best Clasico goals had that gone in, so close as well to crossing the line.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Rivaldo vs. Depor in 2001/2002, although he get an assist for Saviola in the end:

Iraola vs. United in the Europa League 2011/2012 (in general he played incredibly well):

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
Deco shoulder pass to Ronaldo bycicle kick off the crossbar and in. I was at the stadium too :mad:
Why was it disallowed? Did they judge Deco offside, or handball, or Ronaldo dangerous play?

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
It was harder to miss
Not really - the ball was literally behind him and there was a player coming to tackle so he had to awkwardly shoot first time.

Would have been a great goal of course though, you're right.

Canagel

Outrageous skill. very unlucky... Deserved a goal

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Pretty sure Zizou or Ronaldo said this was their favourite link up and laughed how Zidane ballooned it over the bar

RooneyLegend

Pele and Zidane immediately came to mind. Ronaldo had a number of those 'almost' goals too.

DVG7

This, just because of how inevitable it would have been. I think atletico Madrid would just have ceased existing (think this was in the 94th minute or something)