Supports
Time Travel
Until Rashford is back:

James Martial Greenwood
Pogba Bruno
Matic
Williams Maguire Lindelöf AWB
deGea​

Rashford and James running onto through balls played by Pogba and Bruno could be so much fun.

Dante

Average bang
I wouldn't build around one player. We made that mistake with Pogba, and then spent two years discussing how every new midfielder had to be able to "free Pogba". It's partly why we never prioritised buying another creative midfielder and ended up with the uninspiring mess we have now.

I'd rather take the Bruno transfer as a stepping stone to a new team, where Fernandes does a little bit of everything for the team next to other equally important players who do a little bit of everything for the team. No more buying franchise players who we put on a pedestal.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Pogba is a goner but if I was Ole I would try this formation

AWB--------Maguire--------Lindelof-----------Williams

----------------------------McT-----------------------------------------

-----------------Fred-------------Pogba---------------------

---------------------------Bruno-----------------------------------------

-----------------Greenwood------Rashford-------------------------

-------------------

When defending: Fred and Pogba will help to cover the flanks with one between Greenwood or Rashford dropping deep on the flanks to help. Bruno is a hardworking guy so he'll drop and help as well. We'll have a 4-5-1 system with Bruno playing as the most attacking midfielder, Greenwood and Rashy dropping on the flank.

When attacking: Greenwood or Rashy would attack from the flanks while Bruno will attack behind the striker.

cruseofried

I'd build around Fred's freekicks and shooting actually. We need to get him around the edge of the box where he's deadly. Play Bruno as an 8 and get Fred up there as a 10 to shoot on sight.

The absolute fecking weapon, I hope Mata gives him an atomic wedgey for taking that freekick.
If Fred kicked a ball off a boat he'd miss the water.

Andersons Dietician

DeGea
Bissaka Lindelof Maguire Willliams
Matic
Fred. Pogba
Bruno
Martial. Rashford
I think Pogba will be off in the summer and generally not really a fan of that system. Would rather go 433 and play Pogba and Bruno as 8’s with someone sitting behind. Only one that can do that is Matic, but I don’t see how Fred can be dropped on current form and McT was doing well but neither are really DM’s

davidmichael

If we’re talking for the remainder of THIS season then I’d love too see a 4-3-3 of De Gea, Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof, Maguire, Williams, Fernandes, McTominay, Pogba, Greenwood, Martial, James or a 4-2-3-1 with McTominay alongside Pogba and Fernandes as the 10.

Going forward though I think it’s as clear as day that Pogba will be gone in the summer so with that money I’d like to see us bring in Saul Niguez and depending on how Fernandes adapts either James Maddison or an out and out defensive midfielder, if Fernandes does the same as he did for Sporting then Fernandes, new defensive midfielder and Saul Niguez would be the dream for me.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Assuming it's long term then exclude Pogba and maybe replace for a strong midfield engine that is proven, at least decent technically and an absolute work force.

Something like McT/Fred, Bruno, Ndidi as a midfield 3.

b82REZ

I think Ole envisions us setting up

DDG

AWB Lindelof Maguire Williams

McTomminay Pogba

Fernandes

Greenwood Martial Rashford

How I think we'll line up on Saturday

DDG
AWB Lindelof Maguire
Dalot Williams
Perreria Fred

Fernandes
James
Martial

finneh

I'd like to see:

__________ DDG
__ AWB - Lindelof - Maguire
James - Fred - McT - Williams
_________Fernandes
____Martial_____Rashford

Greenwood until Rashford returns. Matic until McT returns.

Brightonian

Full strength with Pogba:

McT Pogba
Fernandes
James Martial Rashford

Full strength without Pogba:

McT Fred
Fernandes
James Martial Rashford

Right now:

Fred Matic
Fernandes
Greenwood Martial James
Which is to say... in Premier League terms, he's an attacking central midfielder. He cannot and should not play any kind of wide position in this league, nor should his attacking stats be wasted any deeper. Pogba is by far the better suited to a deeper position if push comes to shove and you have to push one further forward and one further back.

Pav1878

Personally I think Fred and Mctominay both need to play, they have been our standout performers this season in midfield. Scott in first half of season and Fred recently. Bruno could fit in next to them or even as number 10 too.

Obviously Pogba would play if he is committed to the club and then we have a selection headache but that would be a nice luxury compared to before!

Pav1878

I'd like to see:

__________ DDG
_________Fernandes
____Martial_____Rashford

Like this formation, has a lot of legs and pace and good cover

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
I'd like to see:

__________ DDG
_________Fernandes
____Martial_____Rashford

I like it. Let's face it, AWB is not good enough of an attacker to play the RB role and i think James could suit the wing back role. Preferably Lindelöf doesn't start but what options do we have.. Greenwood would run Martial close for a starting spot at this point.

Don't get the people putting McTominay as a lone defensive mid in the 4-3-3. He's not good enough on the ball and his passing is wonky at times. He loses the ball in dangerous positions at times and you can't afford that in that particular position. I like McTominay but not in that position. If we're going for a 4-3-3 then Matic is more suited to it. Dunno about Fred, maybe he could play it.

pearl1337

DDG
Jones Lindelöf Maguire
AWB Fred Pogba Williams
Bruno
Greenwood Rashford​

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Pretty much Pogba partner with either Scott or Fred behind him. Scott & Fred will be rotated, Mason & James will be rotated on the right side or even use Pereira there. In conclusion, no more Pereira & Lingard as our no 10 week in week out. Martial & Rashford will be feed with delicious service.

While Rashford remains injured, we should play Greenwood on the right to provide goal while one of Pereira or James on the left side to provide more balance. We don't need both Pereira & James out wide together, we got Bruno to provide creativity, so we need more than one goal scorer now to get the best out of Bruno. Thus why play Greenwood as right forward.

DBT85

On the subject of where he plays, here are some heat maps from this season to compare him to KDB, Grealish and Maddison. All only using league appearances. Graphis from the sofascore app.

Bruno

KDB

Grealish

Maddison

MadMike

With current squad ignoring the injuries....

Now taking injuries into consideration we swap:
- Dan James for Rashford
- Fred for Pogba
- Matic for McTominay

I don't rate Shaw, I'd rather give more minutes to Williams personally. Also Greenwood to come in for Pereira when we need more goalscoring threat around the box at the expense of midfield and wing presence. And Lingard can feck off.

After the summer, who the feck knows...

meamth

On the subject of where he plays, here are some heat maps from this season to compare him to KDB, Grealish and Maddison. All only using league appearances. Graphis from the sofascore app.

Bruno

KDB

Grealish

Maddison
That work rate though!!

Left, middle, right, final third!!

TsuWave

United fans are the only fans I still see around with this “build around” mentality. Great teams don’t build around one specific player, they just get good players all around, it’s the reason De Bruyne was gone for most of last season and City hardly lost a step.

It also adds unnecessary pressure to the players we are supposed to build around.

Canagel

United fans are the only fans I still see around with this “build around” mentality. Great teams don’t build around one specific player, they just get good players all around, it’s the reason De Bruyne was gone for most of last season and City hardly lost a step.

It also adds unnecessary pressure to the players we are supposed to build around.
I don't understand also. Why can't we build a great team with a collection of superstars just like any other successful team. The aim of the club should be recruiting as many good players as possible period. This building around mentality is an outdated mentality that stems from the Ferguson era and some are still stuck in it. Even during the best parts of his period especially the end we never had more than 2/3 superstars and we were carried by them even while rotating the majority of squad. Some fans still believe we can win in the same way while football has moved and is far more complex in this days, if your main player(s) is off/injured you're fecked basically.

Last edited:

Eleven-Eighteen

Bruno-Pogba-Fred-McTominay ---> that midfield gives me so much confidence (whether we play 3 or all 4)

The minute i accept that Pogba is on his way out, a midfield of Bruno-Fred-McTominay suddenly looks rather average again

finneh

I like it. Let's face it, AWB is not good enough of an attacker to play the RB role and i think James could suit the wing back role. Preferably Lindelöf doesn't start but what options do we have.. Greenwood would run Martial close for a starting spot at this point.

Don't get the people putting McTominay as a lone defensive mid in the 4-3-3. He's not good enough on the ball and his passing is wonky at times. He loses the ball in dangerous positions at times and you can't afford that in that particular position. I like McTominay but not in that position. If we're going for a 4-3-3 then Matic is more suited to it. Dunno about Fred, maybe he could play it.
I think with our current squad a 3-4-1-2 fits best.

AWB isn't good enough offensively to be our sole threat on the right hand side, but is defensively good enough to be a right sided centre back.

I believe Maguire is much better in a 3 also. It allows him to come out of defense and link with midfield as we saw against City. Williams also has the pace and stamina to cover those weaknesses when he moves out of defense.

I think McTominay, Fred and Bruno would be a good balance of industriousness and creativity, particularly with Maguire moving into midfield when we have the ball creating a bit of a midfield diamond

I'd also have Smalling over Lindelof ideally as I don't think Lindelof is good enough aerially (or defensively in general)

Finally I think Martial and Rashford are much better as inside forwards, rather than typical number 9's which this allows for.

romufc

Why have so many fans got Pogba in the team, he is not going to be here next season.

For this season I would like to see a 3 of Mctominay, Fred and Bruno

I hope next seasons we sign Grealish and have

Fred/ McT
Bruno Grealish

That would be very creative.

BR7

Pogba is a goner but if I was Ole I would try this formation

AWB--------Maguire--------Lindelof-----------Williams

----------------------------McT-----------------------------------------

-----------------Fred-------------Pogba---------------------

---------------------------Bruno-----------------------------------------

-----------------Greenwood------Rashford-------------------------

-------------------

When defending: Fred and Pogba will help to cover the flanks with one between Greenwood or Rashford dropping deep on the flanks to help. Bruno is a hardworking guy so he'll drop and help as well. We'll have a 4-5-1 system with Bruno playing as the most attacking midfielder, Greenwood and Rashy dropping on the flank.

When attacking: Greenwood or Rashy would attack from the flanks while Bruno will attack behind the striker.
I actually like this formtion but it won’t work. To play a diamond you need every player to do their job in attack and defence. Pogba wont carry his weight, you need to find someone else for that position. I assume you intended the diamond formation?

BR7

I’d probably play grealish in that position if you’re going for the diamond. Hard working, creative with an eye for a goal. Pogba is an extravagance for any club and he’s a bad apple.

romufc

I’d probably play grealish in that position if you’re going for the diamond. Hard working, creative with an eye for a goal. Pogba is an extravagance for any club and he’s a bad apple.
Pogba doesn't want to be here, he is our only valuable asset, sell him and get Grealish in. Spend the rest on another CM or ST.

Alabaster Codify7

As far as I'm concerned, Pogba is gone in the summer and Bruno is his replacement. Two new midfielders, CDM and #8 to be bought from Pogba money.

Next season:

------------------CDM (New) / McTominay / Matic---------------------------
------------CM (New) / Fred / McTominay-------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------Bruno Fernandes / Mata / Pereira

BR7

I find him and his supporter embarrassing really. Some of us have worked for a pittance working 10 hour plus days and this .......... he is too busy making money from other side hobbies while still raking 300k a week for nothing

Maticmaker

I am always a bit doubtful about the phrase, 'build around... a single 'player x'.

I understand (I think!) what is meant by that phrase, 'player x' is your key/best player and the teams style of play, tactics, etc. should be geared to their particular strength's. The problem always comes when 'player x' is off through injury, or loss of form, etc.

Brian Clough's old adage about the 'spine' of the team was the thing to build around, this springs to mind as the best approach, the spine being; a consistent GK, a dominant CB, a resolute DM and/or creative AM, a leader of the line and a 20 goals per season CF. To such a spine you could add, width through wingers or wing-backs, flair through a No.10, CF+1 up front as a pair (one going long, one going short), energy in tackling, or a 'box to box' capability with other midfielders, etc.

Also how long will it take Fernandes to settle in, get with the pace of the PL, try to work out what the rest of the team are doing (especially when it appears at times nobody knows and they all seem to train on a different pitch)? Will Fernandes replace Carrick, (has anyone) is that what we need? January signings are notoriously difficult transfers to bed down, look at how long it took Evra and Vidic, in the present state of chaos seeming to reign within the club and its fan base.

Lets not set up Bruno as our 'saviour' figure, it will be difficult enough as it is!

Infra-red

I doubt we'll ever see Bruno, Fred and Pogba in the same lineup - the latter will almost certainly depart in the summer.

At the moment, I'd go with a Matic, Fred, Bruno midfield three, whether that be in a 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 or 3-5-2.

Bestietom

I doubt we'll ever see Bruno, Fred and Pogba in the same lineup - the latter will almost certainly depart in the summer.

At the moment, I'd go with a Matic, Fred, Bruno midfield three, whether that be in a 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 or 3-5-2.
Probably the best 3 now, but McTominay will have something to prove also.

Infra-red

Probably the best 3 now, but McTominay will have something to prove also.
I primarily see him as competing with Fred in a high-energy box-to-box role. I'd like to see us bring in a holding midfielder with decent passing range, as a long-term replacement for Matic.

Bestietom

I primarily see him as competing with Fred in a high-energy box-to-box role. I'd like to see us bring in a holding midfielder with decent passing range, as a long-term replacement for Matic.
I think this will be our aim in the Summer, along with a right winger and forward.

The Red Thinker

The last time we built a midfield around a midfielder wearing 18, we went on to do great things.

Bruno has just said that one of the reasons he chose 18, is because he grew up admiring Scholesy.

Bestietom

The last time we built a midfield around a midfielder wearing 18, we went on to do great things.

Bruno has just said that one of the reasons he chose 18, is because he grew up admiring Scholesy.
If he turns out to be anything like Scholesy, we will all be happy.