Best build around Bruno Fernandes

Dr Fink

I've nearly spat my tea out reading a post about building around Fred (then spotted the white text). Then I've read how we've tried to build the team around Pogba - no we haven't, he's never been fit or been in the team long enough.

Firstly, what is Bruno's injury history like? I believe he stays fit most of the time, so yes we could potentially build a team around both him and Pogba. All the future tellers saying Pogba is "gone"............brilliant. Loads of people have inside information on United and it's workings. Oh no sorry, it's their opinion and pure speculation.

Be positive - build around both. This place needs to be far, far more positive.

Bestietom

I've nearly spat my tea out reading a post about building around Fred (then spotted the white text). Then I've read how we've tried to build the team around Pogba - no we haven't, he's never been fit or been in the team long enough.

Firstly, what is Bruno's injury history like? I believe he stays fit most of the time, so yes we could potentially build a team around both him and Pogba. All the future tellers saying Pogba is "gone"............brilliant. Loads of people have inside information on United and it's workings. Oh no sorry, it's their opinion and pure speculation.

Be positive - build around both. This place needs to be far, far more positive.
Been out once for 12 days, that's it.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Well given our striker situation, we're about one injury away from bringing back Spalletti's 4-6-0 and sticking Bruno in the Totti role.

Walters_19_MuFc

Bruno-Pogba-Fred-McTominay ---> that midfield gives me so much confidence (whether we play 3 or all 4)

The minute i accept that Pogba is on his way out, a midfield of Bruno-Fred-McTominay suddenly looks rather average again
Hence why I think we'll get another midfielder in the summer.

Assuming its a 4231, it will either be:

Attacking Midfielder
McT/Fred - Bruno

Or

Bruno
McT/Fred - Midfielder

RedIan

If pogba, as many expect is sold in summer then we need at least 2 more quality midfield players. Matic has impressed since his return from injury but age is against him. Same Mata. Pereira and Lingard are not good enough.

We cannot go with Bruno Fred and MCT alone. We need another 2 in.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
If pogba, as many expect is sold in summer then we need at least 2 more quality midfield players. Matic has impressed since his return from injury but age is against him. Same Mata. Pereira and Lingard are not good enough.

We cannot go with Bruno Fred and MCT alone. We need another 2 in.
Even if Pogba stays, he only plays well for the first 20 games of the season before taking almost the rest of the season off anyway.

meninred

I dont know why but bruno Fernandez reminded me of Mikhyatrian.

Devil may care

This will quickly become another ‘Pogba is off’ thread tbh.
In truth though you can't really answer this question without talking about Pogba as they don't fit into the same team very well and it's very likely that Pogba will go in the summer.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Bruno is not the traditional attacking midfielder, as he comes deep to start the play and likes to press aggressively. His passing stats will never be up there because he likes to risk through passes from long distance.
Even though he is slim, he won't get intimidated by bullies.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I find him and his supporter embarrassing really. Some of us have worked for a pittance working 10 hour plus days and this .......... he is too busy making money from other side hobbies while still raking 300k a week for nothing
Nonsense comparison and he's injured. Take a seat.

BR7

Nonsense comparison and he's injured. Take a seat.
SAF didn’t like his attitude, he’s a bad apple, he has never put in a proper shift for us, comparison is reasonable, take your head out of his back side little fan boy and leave the club with him. Why do we attract the most ridiculous prawn sandwich brigade of glory hunter fans. Ehh Mack, Liverpool are doing well, off you go son. We’ll see you back when we win the prem next time.

-Supreme-

I'd play this with our current squad, both Martial and Rashford can stretch play on the wings with Bruno / Pogba to operate in the attacking central positions

AWB----Lindelof--Maguire---Shaw
------------------Matic---------------------
-----Fred----Pogba-----Bruno
------Rashford----Martial

Josep Dowling

He hasn’t even played a minute of football but we should a build around him? Let’s wait to see what he can do first.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
SAF didn’t like his attitude, he’s a bad apple, he has never put in a proper shift for us, comparison is reasonable, take your head out of his back side little fan boy and leave the club with him. Why do we attract the most ridiculous prawn sandwich brigade of glory hunter fans. Ehh Mack, Liverpool are doing well, off you go son. We’ll see you back when we win the prem next time.
- SAF didn't like his attitude but still wanted to resign him
- Never put in a proper shift, yet he voluntarily played injured

Your comparison is still nonsense.

BR7

- SAF didn't like his attitude but still wanted to resign him
- Never put in a proper shift, yet he voluntarily played injured

Your comparison is still nonsense.
SAF wanted to resign him? (I’m sure you mean re-sign) Was that the same day he made a bid to re-sign ravel? Who had more,skill in one leg than pogba had in his entire body when they were kids?

Show us the source or stop remarking on other people’s posts. You can’t be a united fan. Who do you really support? Actually, don’t care.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
SAF wanted to resign him? (I’m sure you mean re-sign) Was that the same day he made a bid to re-sign ravel? Who had more,skill in one leg than pogba had in his entire body when they were kids?

Show us the source or stop remarking on other people’s posts. You can’t be a united fan. Who do you really support? Actually, don’t care.
We had Paul under a three-year contract, and it had a one-year renewal option which we were eager to sign.
https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/s...left-manchester-united-to-join-juventus-40860

I'm sorry you don't know what you're talking about and that you are too lazy to do a basic Google search. Would have saved both of us the trouble. Cheers.

How would you line up to get the best with Bruno in?

How best to fit him, Pogba and Fred in?
Honestly I wouldn't waste a second planning anything on Pogba. Him and his Agent are a distraction at this stage. Just get rid and build on McTominay and Fred being the grit in midfield that allows Bruno to be creative. Just focus on those who want to be at the club.

Pavl3n

Well, it kind of feels easy to build around Bruno with what we've got.
I'd play Matic in the CDM spot and have Pogba and Bruno in the 8 role. Sort of like Modric and Kroos or Iniesta and Xavi. Wether it's a 433 or a 3142.

In a 4231 I'm not sure Bruno fits in the traditional 10 role. I guess we'll have to wait and see where exactly Ole slots him.

Ander herrera the warrior

Honestly I wouldn't waste a second planning anything on Pogba. Him and his Agent are a distraction at this stage. Just get rid and build on McTominay and Fred being the grit in midfield that allows Bruno to be creative. Just focus on those who want to be at the club.
This. Against most of sides I think we will play Fred and Mctominay in a midfield 2 and Bruno Fernandes as a number 10. The exact 4-2-3-1 that Ole likes.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
With what we have, assuming all fit:
Rashford Martial
Bruno
Pogba McTominay
Fred
With no Pogba or Rashford:
James Martial Greenwood
Mctominay Bruno
Fred
To build next season:
Rashford Martial Greenwood
McTominay Bruno
*Carrick type
Matic, fred and Pereira/Lingard being backups. Need the deep lying playmaker signing to hold and provide creativity and passing through the lines. In all scenarios, Bruno Fernandes should be the most advanced midfielder, providing a goal threat and creativity.

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

Sell Pogba for £120-£150m

Buy Neves & Grealish for £120-£150m combined.

Bruno, Fred, McTominay, Neves, Grealish.

There's a few combos you could put any of those 5 into.

Ghostrider318

Really doubt we'll get 120m for Pogba. If we do I really hope we go for a proper CDM + Grealish. I feel both Fred and McT are more b2b type midfielders and lack the defensive discipline a prime Matic or Fernandinho had.

Skåre Willoch

I agree with this. Both Neves and Grealish would be very good additions to the squad, and address specific needs.

Maldo

----------------------De Gea
AWB----Lindelof--Maguire---Shaw
-----Fred----Mctominay-----Pogba
-----------------Fernandes
---------Rashford----Martial

Havak

Pokemon master
Assuming we sell Pogba, next season is:

de Gea
Wan-Bissaka Lindelof Maguire Shaw
McTominay Fred
Fernandes
James Martial Rashford​

There's talks of us signing say, Graelish, Koulibaly, Sancho (might be dreaming), but they would likely replace Lindelof, James, and Fred/McTominay if so.

That's all I can see at the moment, or whichever other signings we can manage still probably replace a player or two from that line-up. I don't think James and Greenwood are the no.1 choice for the right wing like some people are saying, they should be impact subs for now and play the cup games etc. Along with a midfielder, that right wing position is definitely still the stand-out one we need to fill after so long. Sancho should be the number one priority, if we can't get him then fair enough, but all the effort should be made as soon as possible.

As an example, if we signed at least Sancho, this could be a 'B-Team' for us:

Romero
Dalot Tuanzebe Bailly Williams
Andreas Matic
Mata
Greenwood Ighalo* James​

Assuming we do a budget deal to extend Ighalo's loan or make it permanent if he does OK enough to be our back-up striker for a season or two while we invest the bigger funding in a winger, midfielder and potential CB like Koulibaly.

RUCK4444

Assuming we sell Pogba, next season is:

de Gea
Wan-Bissaka Lindelof Maguire Shaw
McTominay Fred
Fernandes
James Martial Rashford​

There's talks of us signing say, Graelish, Koulibaly, Sancho (might be dreaming), but they would likely replace Lindelof, James, and Fred/McTominay if so.

That's all I can see at the moment, or whichever other signings we can manage still probably replace a player or two from that line-up. I don't think James and Greenwood are the no.1 choice for the right wing like some people are saying, they should be impact subs for now and play the cup games etc. Along with a midfielder, that right wing position is definitely still the stand-out one we need to fill after so long. Sancho should be the number one priority, if we can't get him then fair enough, but all the effort should be made as soon as possible.

As an example, if we signed at least Sancho, this could be a 'B-Team' for us:

Romero
Dalot Tuanzebe Bailly Williams
Andreas Matic
Mata
Greenwood Ighalo* James​

Assuming we do a budget deal to extend Ighalo's loan or make it permanent if he does OK enough to be our back-up striker for a season or two while we invest the bigger funding in a winger, midfielder and potential CB like Koulibaly.
That front line on both formations is not good enough really.

Martial either needs replacing or settle for a bench option imo. Zero consistency.

Same with James, I like his application and I think he could grow into a good player but we need a top class RW/RF

Havak

Pokemon master

Martial either needs replacing or settle for a bench option imo. Zero consistency.

Same with James, I like his application and I think he could grow into a good player but we need a top class RW/RF
While I'd tend to agree, the first would include Sancho over James in an ideal world. I think Martial is going to get one more season to prove he's the man to lead the line and get 20+ goals. I expect he would also be replaced eventually, but when we're touted to be trying to sign players in the £60-100m+ range at CB, Midfield, and Forward/Winger, I expect it isn't all happening in one season. Striker is the most likely to be 'postponed' until later as Martial is probably a better striker than Lindelof is a CB, or James/Greenwood would be compared to Sancho on the RW, or Fred to Graelish in most people's eyes etc. That's the way I'd be looking at it.

My optimistic hope is we sign Koulibaly/Upamecano , Graelish/Maddison and Sancho (albeit I'm not much of a Graelish fan but there's too much smoke). Even with some big funds from player sales, I think we'd have to skimp on the striker department for a season with Ighalo signing an extended loan or something of that ilk.

Cantonagotmehere

Really doubt we'll get 120m for Pogba. If we do I really hope we go for a proper CDM + Grealish. I feel both Fred and McT are more b2b type midfielders and lack the defensive discipline a prime Matic or Fernandinho had.
I think if we don't get 120m we keep him and hope for a better season for United and Pogba. I believe he'd be under contract for 2 years with the option. Risky, I know but I would not let him go unless for crazy money.

RedNed77

--------------------------DdG---------------------------

--AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Williams--

---------------McTominay - Fred-----------------

--------------------------Bruno-------------------------

-----Greenwood -------------- Rashford-------

--------------------------Ighalo-------------------------

S: Romero, Dalot, Shaw, Tuanzebe, Matic, Mata, Martial

No point planning for Pogba this season, he'll miraculously become available around the start of April to get fit for the Euro's and his summer move, then half-arse it to avoid getting an injury. Martial, I've just given up on at this point, better hope Ighalo is decent.

The team above is hard working and defensively solid, just need Ighalo to be decent and Greenwood to chip in with some more goals. I'd also drop in Dalot for AWB for games against weaker opposition as he offers more on the overlap, and hope Williams can get more involved going forward. We could do with a new striker and right winger in the summer though.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Both Bruno and Fred both have massively high energy levels and I'm looking forward too seeing these two develop a good relationship in our MF. Could be exciting and opponents could find themselves with much less time and space on the ball.

TRUERED89

De Gea
AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Williams
McTominay
Bruno - Pogba
Greenwood - Martial - Rashford​
This pretty much, 4-3-3 with two no.8's. CDM rotation between McT, Fred & Matic, Ighalo to make sub appearances off the bench for Martial, or rotate with him when necessary. If we get Pogba and McT back this month this needs to be the regular PL XI. That'll be enough for a top 4 fight, so job done until the summer.

PS: I doubt we'll see Rashy this season, so James LW.

Ghostrider318

I think if we don't get 120m we keep him and hope for a better season for United and Pogba. I believe he'd be under contract for 2 years with the option. Risky, I know but I would not let him go unless for crazy money.
His value depends heavily on his performance in the Euros. Since hes been out for pretty much the whole season if he has a poor tournament then I fully expect madrid to low ball us and hope pogba/mino throw a hissy fit

Son

If Pogba leaves in the summer I can see us playing him most often in the pivot against a lot of sides with someone like Grealish in the 10 position...

We love signing players who confuse us to their best position so I assume the same will happen to Bruno over time. This is modern day Manchester United after all.

Craig Ward

This all seems premature, he hasnt bedded in yet at all.

I think Ole played him deeper out of necessity in his debut, but like many others from what i've seen of him at Sporting and for Portugal - he's better further up the pitch.

In terms of next season - speculating on formations/signings is just all well and good but for the here and now - i just want Fernandes to have game time and hit the ground running.

I hope he isnt deployed too deep consistently - while he has the energy and workrate i think its mis-guided.

Dont wanna speak about Pogba too much, but we have seen when he plays deep he's not as effective as he could be. I'd be inclined to say Fernandes may have more experience there but still - the point is it'd be somewhat a waste of his creativity playing so deep.

Can we play him and Pogba? We probably will. Will it work? Who knows - much of that will depend on Pogba's attitude in truth, his head doesnt appear to be 100% focused so we will see.

For next season i'd still hope we signed 2x midfielders, a creative type like Grealish and a more natural DM to compete with Fred and McTom and replace Matic and permanently stop Perieria playing there.

I'm excited to see what Fernandes will bring - he looks a top player and you could see from his debut he is a talker - something we have missed. Players need to gel with him and quick

Bwuk

He's not going to play at 10. I think next season we'll move to 4-3-3.

He's the best passer of a ball we have bar Pogba, it's a waste to play him so high when he's one of the few that can dictate.

Sea-Cow

Agreed. Relying on Martial to lead the line and get goals, just hoping that he will magically develop into a Ruud or Drogba, or hell even a Tevez or Berba, is foolish. He should be a squad, rotational player at best.

For all our problems with CMs and DMs (and fullbacks and CBs....pretty much everywhere except keepers), we desperately need new forwards / wide-men. So all of these potential formations and utilizing Pogba and Bruno in dream scenarios all still scream the same eventual end result... mid-table dross, because of the forwards.

Relying on a teenager that looks completely out of his depth physically, who looks like a boy against men when he plays (because he is) is foolish.

Relying on James, a young lad relying on effort and determination in place of ability, is foolish.

Mata is decent, and a good option for the squad, but nothing more.

Lingard and Pereira..... too depressing to discuss.

Igaho? Who the hell knows. Could be decent, could be a non-entity.

Rashford is the only one worthy of starting for United.