Best current world XI?

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
I wouldn't call this team the 'best', but this is a team that can be functional.

Ter Stegen

Trent Alexander Arnold
van Dijk
Laporte
Alaba

Fernandinho
De Bruyne
Bernardo Silva

Sterling
Ronaldo
Hazard

If Dani Alves replaces Trent Alexander-Arnold, I would replace Cristiano Ronaldo with Mbappe.

Halal Jalal

--------------Alisson
TAA---De Light---VVD---Robertson
-------Kante-----Pogba
Messi----Bernardo S. ----Ronaldo
-----------Mbappe

I don't see how could anyone argue against this selection. The most balanced formation (4-2-3-1) with absolutely elite performer in every position. Honestly I believe this team would beat Best XI of any previous era.

Messi, Ronaldo, Pogba - three players winning the most points per 90 for their teams in top 5 leagues. GOATs, no discussion here.

None of us like to see four Liverpool players in there, but you simply can't pick any other GK, fullbacks or CB. Bernardo Silva is a unique player, a #10 with Iniesta's skill and Kante's teamwork/stamina. For 45 million, he's the best purchase in recent years together with PP.

De Light is still prone to naive defensive mistakes... but you can clearly see the potential to become one of the best CBs in history. Plus he's a leader and scores crucial goals against strong opposition. Brilliant. Mbappe's prestige is slightly hindered by playing in French league against farmers... but again, at 20 he's already one of the world's best with plenty of room to develop and become Messi's/Ronaldo's heir.

pregra

Supports
FC Barcelona,Argentina
Alisson

TAA - VVD - Djené :) - Robertson

Van de Beek - De Jong - Iličić

Messi - Quagliarella - Mane

Sjaakmeoff

----------------Oblak
Kimmich - De Ligt - VVD - Alba
--------------De Jong
----Bernardo Silva - DeBruyne
Messi ------ Mbappe ----- Ronaldo

Web of Bissaka

Based mostly from last/recent season.
Some here are still too good to be put out.

C.Ronaldo -- Messi
Hazard -- Bernardo Silva -- Sterling
Fernandinho
Robertson -- VVD -- Koulibaly -- TAA
Alisson​

WireMUFC

Ronaldo Messi Mbappe
Modric Kante De Bruyne
Sandro Chiellini Van Dijk Kimmich
De Gea

My Hatred for Liverpool is evident

Halal Jalal

Ronaldo Messi Mbappe
Modric Kante De Bruyne
Sandro Chiellini Van Dijk Kimmich
De Gea

My Hatred for Liverpool is evident
We're all thankful for De Gea's contribution over the years and he saved us so many times, but lets be honest here - judging by 18/19 season alone, he's not even top 20 in the world. Poor form for couple of months is one thing, entire disappointing season is another. I think he never recovered from the World Cup humiliation (statistically the single worst goalkeeping performance in history of the tournament) and it's time to say goodbye, especially considering his contract situation.

RooneyLegend

----Ronaldo-----Mbappe------Messi-------
-------------B.Silva--------DeBruyne-----------
----------------------Verratti------------------------
Silva------T.Silva-----VanDjik------Cancelo
-------------------TerStegen-----------------------

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
De Jong is quite special - Modric as a natural holding player. The individual battle between the two of them in the Champions League Second Leg was a joy to watch. The first leg of that tie is the only game I’ve seen this season of De Jong that I thought was less than stellar.
I'd recommend you definitely don't watch the Ajax-Bayern 3-3 then. he was awful that game!

disagree about the RM game though. I watched that in the stadium and paid a lot of attention to exactly that battle you're talking of. De Jong literally tracked, as I guess he was tasked to, Modric every metre of the pitch.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
--------------Alisson
-------Kante-----Pogba
-----------Mbappe

I don't see how could anyone argue against this selection. The most balanced formation (4-2-3-1) with absolutely elite performer in every position. Honestly I believe this team would beat Best XI of any previous era.

Messi, Ronaldo, Pogba - three players winning the most points per 90 for their teams in top 5 leagues. GOATs, no discussion here.

None of us like to see four Liverpool players in there, but you simply can't pick any other GK, fullbacks or CB. Bernardo Silva is a unique player, a #10 with Iniesta's skill and Kante's teamwork/stamina. For 45 million, he's the best purchase in recent years together with PP.

De Light is still prone to naive defensive mistakes... but you can clearly see the potential to become one of the best CBs in history. Plus he's a leader and scores crucial goals against strong opposition. Brilliant. Mbappe's prestige is slightly hindered by playing in French league against farmers... but again, at 20 he's already one of the world's best with plenty of room to develop and become Messi's/Ronaldo's heir.
I really doubt it.

80s team could be ;

Zoff......

Amoros Baresi Koemans Brehme

Platini, Rijkaard, Zico

Gullit, van Basten, Maradona

Most of them are all time greats.

And still have players like Lothar Matthaus (late 80s form) on the bench.

70s could pick from Brazil 70, Holland/Ajax 70s, Germany/Bayern 70s, etc.

So Maier, Fachetti, Jairzinho, Beckenbauer, Krol, Chumpitaz, Rivera, Rivellino, Cruyff, Muller, Pele... The list goes on.

This last decade has had two exceptional players. The rest get nowhere near some of the above.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
I really doubt it.

80s team could be ;

Zoff......

Amoros Baresi Koemans Brehme

Platini, Rijkaard, Zico

Gullit, van Basten, Maradona

Most of them are all time greats.

And still have players like Lothar Matthaus (late 80s form) on the bench.

70s could pick from Brazil 70, Holland/Ajax 70s, Germany/Bayern 70s, etc.

So Maier, Fachetti, Jairzinho, Beckenbauer, Krol, Chumpitaz, Rivera, Rivellino, Cruyff, Muller, Pele... The list goes on.

This last decade has had two exceptional players. The rest get nowhere near some of the above.
This decade has been dominated by Barça, Bayern and Madrid players. Peak Neuer, Pique, Boateng, Bastian S., Xavi, Iniesta, Modric, Messi, Ribery, Robben, Bale, Suarez, Neymar, CR, etc. are all-time greats as well.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Allison
TAA VVD* Robertson
Milner Henderson Wijnaldum
Salah Firmino Mane

*Don't need a second CB with big Virg

Robbo*

De Gea

Kimmich
Ramos
Van Dijk
Alba

Kante
Thiago
De Bruyne

Messi
Mbappe
Ronaldo

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
This decade has been dominated by Barça, Bayern and Madrid players. Peak Neuer, Pique, Boateng, Bastian S., Xavi, Iniesta, Modric, Messi, Ribery, Robben, Bale, Suarez, Neymar, CR, etc. are all-time greats as well.
I guess it's down to how many all time greats you have? I'm a bit picky, maybe a few per position else feel it devalues "all time".

There are a couple in there that could have a claim though (I was already including Messi and Ronaldo when I said two before). But the rest, not for me.

Hughie77

Have to go for.
Alisson
Arnold. VVD, Chelini, Costa.
Dybrune Pogba, B Silva, Hazzard
Aguero Mbappe. ..

3 pool players there Could have 4 Robertson if Costa injured . Gone for 4-4-2

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
I guess it's down to how many all time greats you have? I'm a bit picky, maybe a few per position else feel it devalues "all time".

There are a couple in there that could have a claim though (I was already including Messi and Ronaldo when I said two before). But the rest, not for me.
The technical-tactical vision of '10s players alone is superior than pre-1998 football.

Red Star One

--------------Alisson
-------Kante-----Pogba
-----------Mbappe

I think you’re getting a bit carried away if you say that a line up with 3 Liverpool defenders and their goalkeeper would beat XI of any other era

NoPace

Allison
TAA VVD* Robertson
Milner Henderson Wijnaldum
Salah Firmino Mane

*Don't need a second CB with big Virg
Annoying stuff aside, it does make sense to name your manager and say their best XI, since Guardiola and Klopp would have different choices in some positions, for instance.

Also to say who you would pick if you had to prepare for an international tournament, since in a month you wouldn't want 11 new players and would probably want to include the spine of a team (and consider ex-players like Reus for Klopp or multiple Barca and Bayern players for Pep) and then a couple adaptable types, Messi or other stars who fits them perfectly and could seamlessly come in.

For example, I'd probably have De Jong in a Guardiola team but not a Klopp one.

Using that latter stricture, with new players in bold, old players for that manager in italics and current players under him in regular type.

Team Klopp:

--Mane-Firmino--Messi
----Koke---Gundogan----
---------Kante---------
Robertson------------TAA
----Koulibaly-Van Dijk---
-----------Allison---------

-Messi over Salah because he's better and it seemed like less trouble for the press than swapping out Firmino or Mane since I didn't like Cristiano or Mbappe as fits instead of them, but the fact I hesitated for second on this is testament to Salah and how good their front 3 is together. I briefly considered Griezmann or De Bruyne (be a great false 9) for Firmino or Mbappe for Mane but wanted to minimize changes with my midfield already so reinvented. Wouldn't quibble with either change though.

-Gundogan is my lone Klopp midfielder (had at least one great season for him). Koke is smart and runs all day, think he'd be a better version of Milner. Kante as a DM is always fine and he can cover lots of space and press.

-Back 5 I kept for harmony except with the rock solid Koulibaly in, but Pique or Varane in particular (he's a better version of a Gomez or Matip type) seem like solid choices.

Team Guardiola:

Neymar--Aguero---Messi--
---De Bruyne--BernardoSilva
-----------De Jong---------
Alba----------------------Kimmich
------VanDijk--Pique-------
--------Ter Stegen---------

-Probably could have chosen a solid DM instead of De Jong like Rodri, but that would be my plan B, with De Jong coming into midfield for De Bruyne or Bernardo Silva or hitting the bench himself
-Lewandowski or Aguero I would actually decide based on the opponent's CBs and if they were playing a high line (Aguero) or parking the bus (Lewandowski)
-Neymar over Hazard might be the wrong choice, hell it probably is, but I guess I still think Neymar is the 2nd or 3rd best player in the world when healthy
-Pique over Laporte was a tough call.

I think Sarri and Ten Hag are too close to Guardiola to be fun, so let's finish with...

Team Dyche:

--------Cristiano-Kane--------
Bale--------Koke---Kante----------Messi
Robertson-VanDijk-Godin-Kimmich
---------------Oblak--------------------

-I haven't seen Skriniar but wanted an aerially dominant defender so went with the aging Godin. Open to other good headers of the ball.
-When Messi quits because the football is shit and he's tired of being yelled at to cross the ball at the big men, I like Sancho or Dembele on the wing
-Wanted someone bigger than Koke or Kante but I couldn't leave Kante out of a defending deep midfield breaking up play and Koke has logged a lot of time under Simeone doing stuff like this in big games, also gives them a passer which Dyche seems to like from one spot.
-Cristiano first name on the teamsheet, even goes wide like Wood. Lewandowski edged out by Kane.

montpelier

including Alexander-Arsehole looks dubious to me

Klopp sometimes leaves him out due to defensive misgivings, innit?

fps

------------------Alisson-------------------
Kimmich---Ramos---Van Dijk---Alba
----------------Fernandinho---------------
----------Modric----------DeBruyne----------
------Messi-----Ronaldo-----Mbappe------

Assuming a fully fit everyone, I believe that's the best team in the world currently. People picking the Ajax youngsters are a little over-enthusiastic at this stage, I'd say.

sherrinford

I'd recommend you definitely don't watch the Ajax-Bayern 3-3 then. he was awful that game!

disagree about the RM game though. I watched that in the stadium and paid a lot of attention to exactly that battle you're talking of. De Jong literally tracked, as I guess he was tasked to, Modric every metre of the pitch.
It was his passing that game - inhibitive, no cutting edge, no progression. Just disappointing, and strange as Ajax played very well - I actually thought he was their worst, and in fact only weak, performer that night.

WireMUFC

We're all thankful for De Gea's contribution over the years and he saved us so many times, but lets be honest here - judging by 18/19 season alone, he's not even top 20 in the world. Poor form for couple of months is one thing, entire disappointing season is another. I think he never recovered from the World Cup humiliation (statistically the single worst goalkeeping performance in history of the tournament) and it's time to say goodbye, especially considering his contract situation.
I know what you’re saying mate, most united fans have a short memory though, De gea is by far the best keeper in the world end of. My team has 8 league winners and a CL winner and EL winner in it I think it’s a decent team.

Last edited:

RedDevilRoshi

De Gea

Kimmich
De Ligt
Van Dijk
Robertson

Bernardo Silva
Kante
De Bruyne

Messi
Mbappe