Best current world XI?

Robbo*

------------------Alisson-------------------
Kimmich---Ramos---Van Dijk---Alba
----------------Fernandinho---------------
----------Modric----------DeBruyne----------
------Messi-----Ronaldo-----Mbappe------

Assuming a fully fit everyone, I believe that's the best team in the world currently. People picking the Ajax youngsters are a little over-enthusiastic at this stage, I'd say.
Along similar lines to my team above - think would do very well in a real game!

Bwuk

Putting together a side that’d work as a team. Plenty work rate, pace for the counter and ability on the ball.

Allison
Kimmich - Van Dijk - Ramos - Robertson
Fernandinho - De Bruyne
Bernardo - Messi - Mbappe
Cristiano​

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Putting together a side that’d work as a team. Plenty work rate, pace for the counter and ability on the ball.

Allison
Kimmich - Van Dijk - Ramos - Robertson
Fernandinho - De Bruyne
Bernardo - Messi - Mbappe
Cristiano​
Think Neuer or Ter Stegen would be better for this side. Would probably switch Ronaldo and Mbappe but they can be fluid and switch in and out.

Bwuk

Think Neuer or Ter Stegen would be better for this side. Would probably switch Ronaldo and Mbappe but they can be fluid and switch in and out.
Can understand either keeper ahead of Allison, but I’d have Mbappe wide as he’s got a better work rate going back to support Robertson where needed.

Classical Mechanic

-------------Ederson----------------
TAA-----VVD------Laporte-----Robo
------------Henderson---------------
--------KDB------------Pogba-------
Bernado-----------------------Messi
---------------CR7©-----------------

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Based solely on this season:

-------------------------- Ter Stegen -------------------------
----TAA ------------Pique-----------van Dijk ---- Robertson-
-------------------------Fernandinho--------------------------
--------------- Bernardo ---------- Silva ---------------------
--Messi-------------------Mbappe--------------- Hazard -----

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Ter Stegen
Cancelo - Koulibaly - Van Dijk - Robertson
Fernandinho
De Jong - David Silva
Messi - Ronaldo - Hazard​
How, Sway? How!? Can't get into the Portugal team and Juve are willing to let him go.

Allison

Kimmich
van Dijk
Laporte
Robertson

Fernandinho
Modric
D. Silva

Ronaldo
Mbappe
Messi

Enigma_87

You know who

• Cristiano is yet to be properly surpassed — still think he's the most deadly scorer and mover in the final-third, and will thrive off of Messi's creativity. No Hazard because he's a bit too individualistic to operate with Messi/Cristiano.
  • Thiago/Bernardo as the incisive 10/8 hybrids — the latter was consistently outstanding, but the former was quite good in his own right too.
  • Wanted to include Fernandinho/Rodri at #6, but some of their functions are similar to De Jong in terms of drifting deeper to form a passing outlet for the central defensive duo (Frenkie frequently did that for Ajax as Blind moved central). He's less defensively secure and not a proper holder, but eh...too mesmerizing as a rhythm-setting metronome to pass up.
  • A year (or two) too early for De Ligt (who is close to establishing himself as a fixture in the World XI over the '20s decade). Laporte was the best centerback in the world after Van Dijk in 2018/19, IMO.
  • Toss-up between Alisson and ter Stegen in goal, ditto Robertson and Alba at left-back.
  • All things considered a very strong season for the Premier League — in the years gone by, you would expect at least half of the XI to be comprised players from the Spanish heavyweights.

I'd probably have Sterling instead of Ronaldo and one of Eriksen/Hazard instead of Thiago. Rest is pretty much spot on.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

• Cristiano is yet to be properly surpassed — still think he's the most deadly scorer and mover in the final-third, and will thrive off of Messi's creativity. No Hazard because he's a bit too individualistic to operate with Messi/Cristiano.
  • Thiago/Bernardo as the incisive 10/8 hybrids — the latter was consistently outstanding, but the former was quite good in his own right too.
  • Wanted to include Fernandinho/Rodri at #6, but some of their functions are similar to De Jong in terms of drifting deeper to form a passing outlet for the central defensive duo (Frenkie frequently did that for Ajax as Blind moved central). He's less defensively secure and not a proper holder, but eh...too mesmerizing as a rhythm-setting metronome to pass up.
  • A year (or two) too early for De Ligt (who is close to establishing himself as a fixture in the World XI over the '20s decade). Laporte was the best centerback in the world after Van Dijk in 2018/19, IMO.
  • Toss-up between Alisson and ter Stegen in goal, ditto Robertson and Alba at left-back.
  • All things considered a very strong season for the Premier League — in the years gone by, you would expect at least half of the XI to be comprised players from the Spanish heavyweights.
Great and all but can someone explain to me how the arrows work?

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I believe that the arrows point in the direction where the players are allowed to run.

padr81

Supports
Man City
For me for this season it'd be

-------------------Oblak-------------------
TAA--------VVD--------De Ligt---Robertson
--------------------------------------------
----------Bernardo----DeJong------------
Mbappe-----------Messi-----------Hazard
-----------------Cristiano------------------

I really wanted to get a Spurs player in their on the strength of their CL performance but I just couldn't find room. A lot of work for De Jong but Bernardo would work hard beside him.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Edison
Atal - De Ligt - Van Dijk - Robertson
Verratti
Bernard Silva - Thiago Alcantara
De Bryune(Messi)
Mbappe - Hazard(Ronaldo)

Edison
Verratti - Thiago
Bernard Silva - De Bryune - Hazard
Mbappe

It is hard to not put Ronaldo and Messi in your team. They are easily still the two top attackers in football. However, Messi or Ronaldo doesn’t do enough when it comes to defending. They are passengers when the opposition has the ball. As an advocate of total football 3.0, all my players must be competent with the ball, play multiple positions and not be a passengers when it comes to pressing or winning the ball. As such, I decided to drop Ronaldo and Messi from my team.

Swarlos

Supports
Lyn FK, Liverpool
Edison
Verratti
Bernard Silva - Thiago Alcantara
De Bryune(Messi)
Mbappe - Hazard(Ronaldo)

Edison
Verratti - Thiago
Bernard Silva - De Bryune - Hazard
Mbappe

It is hard to not put Ronaldo and Messi in your team. They are easily still the two top attackers in football. However, Messi or Ronaldo doesn’t do enough when it comes to defending. They are passengers when the opposition has the ball. As an advocate of total football 3.0, all my players must be competent with the ball, play multiple positions and not be a passengers when it comes to pressing or winning the ball. As such, I decided to drop Ronaldo and Messi from my team.
Who would you like as manager?

HTG

Supports
Bayern
------------ter Stegen-----------
TAA---De Ligt--Van Dijk---Alba
----Verratti-De Jong-Thiago---
------Messi------KDB-----------
------------Suarez--------------

Not really the 11 best players in the world, but that's the team I'd most want to see play.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
------------ter Stegen-----------
TAA---De Ligt--Van Dijk---Alba
----Verratti-De Jong-Thiago---
------Messi------KDB-----------
------------Suarez--------------

Not really the 11 best players in the world, but that's the team I'd most want to see play.
Suarez.. That's funny..

Macern

Pee pee pants
Ter Stegen
TAA - De Ligt - Van Dijk - Robertson
Verratti - Kante - Bernardo Silva
Messi - CR7 - Hazard

quackattack

ter Stegen
Kimmich-VVD-De Ligt-Alaba
Kanté-Ñiguez
Ronaldo-Hazard-Messi
Mbappé

Best or not, should be able to produce a few goals...

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
So many people with really odd midfield choices and not picking De Bruyne, who is surely the best passer in the game atm and a clear choice.

Eddy_JukeZ

So many people with really odd midfield choices and not picking De Bruyne, who is surely the best passer in the game atm and a clear choice.
It was based on the past season.

And I think Messi is a better passer than De Bruyne clearly.

BolehLand

Supports
Valencia
Putting those world best first 11 it wouldn't have any spark, there wouldn't be a proper teamwork in the team.

Ronaldo wouldn't let Messi score more than him. Neymar want to prove he is better than Ronaldo and Messi. Pogba always want to do more than a hardworking Midfielder, So my first 11 wouldn't too many big players in the team but would rather have a player who can play for their team, not for their personal frame.

Neymar and Pogba will never be in the world first 11 no matter what.

De Gea (No doubt if back to his form)

Robertson (7mil world class under rated player, he won't turn up late for training, cheaper wages)
Van Dijk (No need to mention anything)
Laporte (prefer him over Pique, he is willing to listen to Van Dijk more than Pique)
TAA (Free world class under rated hard working British player, he won't keep changing his hair color, easy to manage. cheaper wages)

Kante (Every team need someone like him no doubt, a low profile fighter)
De Bruyne (He has everything in the middle)
Fernandinho (He would be the balance point of Attack and Defend)

Messi (He wouldn't mind to give Ronaldo a pass)
Hazard (World class.

Ronaldo (He always want to score more goals, so let he be)

NoLogo

Ronaldo wouldn't let Messi score more than him. Neymar want to prove he is better than Ronaldo and Messi. Pogba always want to do more than a hardworking Midfielder, So my first 11 wouldn't too many big players in the team but would rather have a player who can play for their team, not for their personal frame.
I think you can have about 3 super stars in a squad if the rest is working hard enough and provides a lot of the back bone work. I also like the team you picked, only thing I would probably change is Kanté and Fernandinho in the midfield. Switch Fernandinho for Silva and maybe, just maybe Hazard with Mané to bring a touch of pace into the side. Another point for debate might be de Gea's footballing ability but I'm almost certain the footballing ability of the rest of that squad would make up for that in spades. Last point I'm okay with Laporte in the side but I feel like there are quite a few contenders for second best defender in the world after VVD. Two years ago I would have said it's 100% Ramos, simply for the fight and fire and big game performances he brings, but he seems to have declined quite a lot in the last year and a half.

So I'll go with:

de Gea
A.-Arnold -- van Dijk -- Laporte -- Robertson
Kanté
de Bruyne ------- Silva
Messi ----------------------- Mané
Ronaldo
Just a last second thought. Maybe I'll replace de Bruyne with Kroos. Not because Kroos is better but because de Bruyne is too forward thinking and might get into the space that Messi loves to occupy. Kroos on the other hand likes to play deeper and spread the ball around with his precise passing. He might be the closest thing we get to Xavi these days.

Last edited:

BolehLand

Supports
Valencia
I think you can have about 3 super stars in a squad if the rest is working hard enough and provides a lot of the back bone work. I also like the team you picked, only thing I would probably change is Kanté and Fernandinho in the midfield. Switch Fernandinho for Silva and maybe, just maybe Hazard with Mané to bring a touch of pace into the side. Another point for debate might be de Gea's footballing ability but I'm almost certain the footballing ability of the rest of that squad would make up for that in spades. Last point I'm okay with Laporte in the side but I feel like there are quite a few contenders for second best defender in the world after VVD. Two years ago I would have said it's 100% Ramos, simply for the fight and fire and big game performances he brings, but he seems to have declined quite a lot in the last year and a half.

So I'll go with:

de Gea
A.-Arnold -- van Dijk -- Laporte -- Robertson
Kanté
de Bruyne ------- Silva
Messi ----------------------- Mané
Ronaldo
Just a last second thought. Maybe I'll replace de Bruyne with Kroos. Not because Kroos is better but because de Bruyne is too forward thinking and might get into the space that Messi loves to occupy. Kroos on the other hand likes to play deeper and spread the ball around with his precise passing. He might be the closest thing we get to Xavi these days.
To be honest I'm not really sure about Spain league, but what I want to highlight is football is not only about personal skill, teamwork is the most important things after all. That's why we can not have Pogba and Neymar but prefer Kante and Hazard or Mane in the team. Balance up your team is very important. Besides, Cavani, Ibram and Ramos also out of my list because of their personalities, it would bring something good in the dressing room.

Ooge_

Supports
Werder
-----Cristiano-----------Benzema-----
----------------Hazard---------------
------Thiago------------de Bruyne----
----------------Kante----------------
Robertson--Van Dijk--de Ligt--Kimmich
----------------Oblak----------------

renatosanches85

Oblak

Alexander Arnold
Van Dijk
Koulibaly
Robertson

Pogba
Kante
Bernardo

Messi
Ronaldo
Mbappe

spaceboyRSA

Remember the good old days when liverpool had a shit defence and terrible keepers.

Amazing what just a few good signings do... now most people have at least two liverpool players in their back five.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
His injuries last season certainly didn't help. I doubt that anyone will exclude a fully fit De Bruyne from their best XI.