Best Goalkeeper in the league

MUFC OK

The thing holding Alisson back is his complacency with distribution. He’s way too casual at times and lacks the long pass accuracy of Ederson or dare I say Ramsdale.

I do think Ederson and Alisson are the two best in the league currently though. De Gea looks back to his best.
Alisson is incredibly overrated. Ederson is better in that role.

Not aiming this just at you but how can Ramsdale be one of the best in the country all of a sudden whilst it’s ‘too early’ to say if De Gea is back to his best?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

Not aiming this just at you but how can Ramsdale be one of the best in the country all of a sudden whilst it’s ‘too early’ to say if De Gea is back to his best?
I’m only referring to Ramsdale’s distribution and I said De Gea does look back to his best.

On Alisson, I think his ability in one v one situations is what stands him out. I think Ederson has an edge over him because he’s less likely to make an error than Alisson is but the latter is still top three in the league.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
De Gea might be one of or the best shot stoppers in the league but there's no way he's the best overall goalkeeper.

Chance prevention (claiming and sweeping) & distribution matter a lot. For example someone like Ederson prevents approx. 7.5 goals a season more than De Gea through sweeping/claiming. Which means De Gea doesn't just have to overperform him in shot-stopping for parity, he has to overperform him by a lot. And then there's distribution on top of that. It's easy to say someone like Ederson only looks good because of City's system, but De Gea would struggle to function in that system because he doesn't have the skillset required. Ederson benefits from a system he is a key part of.

So while De Gea's shot stopping has been excellent this season, it's massively offset by the things he doesn't do because he gives ground on sweeping/claiming to nearly every other goalkeeper in the league. And it isn't a case of "it depends on what you want from a keeper", because nobody wants more goals conceded.

And I say that as one of De Gea's biggest fans on this forum. He's just too one-dimensional. But because people see goals prevented by saves in a way they don't see goals presented through claims/sweeping, they don't weigh those skills against each other properly.

That isn't to say De Gea couldn't be one of or the best goalkeepers in the league in a given season if he manages to sustain a freakishly high shot-stopping rate, but over the long run you just can't do that.
De gea is 29? I doubt he could reengineer his game to such a level.

Might get calmer, more decisive as he aged, but somehow becoming a sweeper keeper? I doubt it.

That's like asking rashford to become berbatov

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
The thing holding Alisson back is his complacency with distribution. He’s way too casual at times and lacks the long pass accuracy of Ederson or dare I say Ramsdale.

I do think Ederson and Alisson are the two best in the league currently though. De Gea looks back to his best.
If DeGea was back to his best he’d be the best keeper in the league. He isn’t.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
DDG best keeper in the league is a No. Hes certainly not the keeper he was, and IMO he doesnt get into any of the current top 3's teams on present form. For me its Alisson. Ederson is terrific with his distribution but i never really think hes a top shot stopper. Id even have Mendy over Ederson for shot stopping.

Ramsdale has been good, I like Meslier at Leeds too and Martinez at Villa

Might be controversial but i actually dont rate Pickford at all. Made a couple half decent saves against us thursday but i think hes overrated

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
DDG best keeper in the league is a No. Hes certainly not the keeper he was, and IMO he doesnt get into any of the current top 3's teams on present form. For me its Alisson. Ederson is terrific with his distribution but i never really think hes a top shot stopper. Id even have Mendy over Ederson for shot stopping.

Might be controversial but i actually dont rate Pickford at all. Made a couple half decent saves against us thursday but i think hes overrated
:lol: wow calm down. Wild take that.

Oranges038

The thing about Alisson and Ederson is that they suit how the teams play. They may not be the best goalkeepers but they are the best goalkeepers for those teams and those are the best teams in the league so it's why they get referred to as the best.

Mendy and Ramsdale have come into Arsenal and Chelsea and they suit how Arteta and Tuchel want to play so they also look like better keepers.

Even at his absolute best De Gea wouldn't suit any of those teams. I would even say he didn't suit how Ole wanted to play. If RR wants to play out from the back and press high with a high line, he won't suit that either.

NewYorkRed

:lol:

Mate as a fellow American you are not doing us a service here with takes like this. Oblak has been in staggeringly bad form this season (genuinely amongst the worst in Europe in terms of shot stopping), and Ter Stegan has been below par for 3 seasons now.

That said, the most ridiculous take is that De Gea is a top 3 keeper in the world. Do you actually think that there are only two teams in the world who'd be unwilling to swap their keeper for De Gea?
Fair enough, I’ll hold up my hand and say I haven’t seen any of Oblak this season, but watched him a ton the past few years and he’s still my #1, regardless of half a season’s form.

As for the De Gea take, I’ll stick by my take. Name me 3 better shot stoppers in Europe who have decent distribution (which he 100% does) that play for a top side.

NewYorkRed

Thank the heavens you’re no football manager either. Your assessment is completely off. Oblak isn’t the clear #1 and Ter Stegan hasn’t been in the conversation for the world’s best since about 2019. DDG is nowhere near being the 3rd best keeper in the world either.
That’s fair enough, I replied above as to why I said what I said, but still sticking by my top 3 DdG take, and I’ll pose you the same question as I did the other poster. Honestly curious to see the response, not trying to be combative in the slightest.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Fair enough, I’ll hold up my hand and say I haven’t seen any of Oblak this season, but watched him a ton the past few years and he’s still my #1, regardless of half a season’s form.

As for the De Gea take, I’ll stick by my take. Name me 3 better shot stoppers in Europe who have decent distribution (which he 100% does) that play for a top side.
Mate, De Gea is literally in the 1st percentile among top 5 goalkeepers for touches per 90. He is among the very worst keepers on the ball in Europe. He's also in the 4th percentile of defensive actions outside the box and 11th for cross collection.

He's still an excellent shot stopper but he is exceedingly poor at much of what the modern game demands from goalkeepers.

It's a fair point on Oblak's shot stopping - his track record speaks for itself and Atleti have had systemic issues / significant CB injury problems. The wider problem though is that he is from more or less the same mold as De Gea - he's also pretty poor on the ball and tends to be a bit more conservative with his positioning (though granted, Atleti's playstyle undoubtedly has something to do with this).

Regarding your question, I'm not sure there are 3 shot stoppers at top clubs who are better at that particular skill than De Gea (though to be fair there certainly are a fair few who are more consistent year over year). But that's not the end all be all of modern goalkeeping - preventing opponents from shooting by being proactive and reducing the effectiveness of opposition pressing by providing a passing option are absolutely core principles for the most elite teams.

So whilst again I'd agree with your take that De Gea is an elite shot-stopper, I again think you'd be extremely hard-pressed to find a top side willing to swap their keeper for De Gea.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Mate, De Gea is literally in the 1st percentile among top 5 goalkeepers for touches per 90. He is among the very worst keepers on the ball in Europe. He's also in the 4th percentile of defensive actions outside the box and 11th for cross collection.

He's still an excellent shot stopper but he is exceedingly poor at much of what the modern game demands from goalkeepers.
You could write exactly the same comment about Navas ^^

Withnail

It's not controversial at all, Pickford's rubbish

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
so I am totally wrong?
That was a while ago!

My first comment referred to the thread being about the best goalkeeper in the English Premier League. Casillas doesn't play there.

My second comment was about me never having seen Casillas in a list of best goalkeepers ever - but you could have that opinion of course. Mind if I ask why though? I always thought he was solid but not quite awesome.

Darlington Padgett

Is Ramsdale's distribution the best in the league? I've never payed close attention but when they played against us I was really impressed.

bimalos

For me, Ederson is the best goalkeeper in EPL. He changes how modern-era goalkeepers should play. He can block and pass pinpoint to this teammate for a goal. That is why he is the best.

KeanoMagicHat

For me, Ederson is the best goalkeeper in EPL. He changes how modern-era goalkeepers should play. He can block and pass pinpoint to this teammate for a goal. That is why he is the best.
Can’t save the ball though. Alisson can do that and save. Alisson is a far better all-round keeper.

Also he hasn’t changed anything, Neuer was doing that that when Ederson was a youth player.

Lyng

Can’t save the ball though. Alisson can do that and save. Alisson is a far better all-round keeper.

Also he hasn’t changed anything, Neuer was doing that that when Ederson was a youth player.
Yeah if Ederson wins anything its the most overrated keeper in the league

Oranges038

He's not and he's changed nothing. Pep should have been brave and dropped Ederson for Bazunu. His passing and distribution is excellent and he's also better at being a goalkeeper than Ederson.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
He's not and he's changed nothing. Pep should have been brave and dropped Ederson for Bazunu. His passing and distribution is excellent and he's also better at being a goalkeeper than Ederson.
Sorry but this is a ridiculous post, pure hyperbole. You're not gonna replace a proven, top quality GK at one of the biggest clubs in the world with a 20 year old kid who's only club football experience is a season in the 3rd division...

His distribution is nowhere near Ederson's and he isn't close to being as proven as an all-round keeper. People love to shit on Ederson (probably because he's a City player) but relative to how much he's on the ball and the risks he takes he doesn't even make that many mistakes, and his shot-stopping in much better than a lot of people here like to make out.

Let's be honest you've probably seen highlights of Bazunu in the handful of games he's played for Southampton and that's it, hardly a great sample. Very talented for sure but still has a long way to go to prove himself at a level where he'd be displacing somebody like Ederson. I remember him letting in a few long range efforts at Pompey and making a couple of absolute clangers, it's not like he's never made mistakes himself and he did this at a much lower level.

Last edited:

largelyworried

Sorry but this is a ridiculous post, pure hyperbole. You're not gonna replace a proven, top quality GK at one of the biggest clubs in the world with a 20 year old kid who's only club football experience is a season in the 3rd division...

His distribution is nowhere near Ederson's and he isn't close to being as proven as an all-round keeper. People love to shit on Ederson (probably because he's a City player) but relative to how much he's on the ball and the risks he takes he doesn't even make that many mistakes, and his shot-stopping in much better than a lot of people here like to make out.

Let's be honest you've probably seen highlights of Bazunu in the handful of games he's played for Southampton and that's it, hardly a great sample. Very talented for sure but still has a long way to go to prove himself at a level where he'd be displacing somebody like Ederson. I remember him letting in a few long range efforts at Pompey and making a couple of absolute clangers, it's not like he's never made mistakes himself and he did this at a much lower level.
Ederson is the perfect example of the right keeper for the right team. City are so good at preventing shots and crosses coming in the box that having a keeper that excels at those things doesn't really add a lot of value, but his confidence on the ball is essential.

Oranges038

Ah yeah, well I've seen him loads. Every keeper makes mistakes, but his all round ability as a goalkeeper is already at a higher level than Ederson has ever been. Ederson's shot stopping isn't under rated at all, people see him for what he is, relative to the amount of chances he faces. His passing might not be as good, but let's be honest, how often does Ederson actually do anything more than just recycle possession to his nearest defenders? He ranks in the 20th percentile in terms of touches from what I've seen compared to other keepers, where as Allison is in the 80th percentile. Plays one or two through balls once or twice a season that lead to goals and that's all people remember from his passing.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I feel the sample is way too small and very skewed considering who played who. It also doesn't really pass the eye test when you see DDG and Mendy's blunders compared to Ramsdale. I'd say the only "low quality" (not sure what that even is) shot he faced was Maddison at the near post that he let through his legs. Martinez let in some comical ones so not sure how this is weighed against good saves.

Skills

Snitch
I feel the sample is way too small and very skewed considering who played who. It also doesn't really pass the eye test when you see DDG and Mendy's blunders compared to Ramsdale. I'd say the only "low quality" (not sure what that even is) shot he faced was Maddison at the near post that he let through his legs. Martinez let in some comical ones so not sure how this is weighed against good saves.
I agree the sample is way too small yet.

And I'd say the GK at plays some role in the "quality" of shots faced as well - more proactive keepers should on the left side of the axis.

iHicksy

De Gea is a great shot stopper at his best. Nothing more, he's very very limited as a modern GK and isn't close to being the best in the league. He can't even get into the Spanish squad because of his limitations.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
All round probably Alisson. Best distributor is Ederson by an absolute distance.

I rate most of the keepers in the league tbh. Never been a big Pickford fan though, or Danny Ward.

JeffFromHK

De gea is probably the 12-15th best goalkeeper in the PL right now. But he is the highest paid goalkeeper in the world and highest paid Spanish player who can't get into Spanish national team.

We are so fecked as a football club

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Unsurprising but Alisson for me. His Roma season was off the charts and by every metric he’s been amazing for us too. Bailed us out more times than I can count. We’d probably be nowhere the success we’ve had if we had even a marginally worse keeper.

croadyman

De Gea is a great shot stopper at his best. Nothing more, he's very very limited as a modern GK and isn't close to being the best in the league. He can't even get into the Spanish squad because of his limitations.
Yeah him & Lloris worst in supposed top six

Rossa

Is there a standout goalie in the league? I’d argue that the oversll quality is high with many good goalies and few poor ones. However, I also don’t think there are anyone that is that great either. No prime Schmeichel or Neuer.

That being said, Ederson is perfect for city. On the ball and in possession, it’s like having an extra outfield player. As a shot stopper and commander of his box, he’s still good but not spectacular.

Allisson is probably an overall better goalie, but apart from his brilliant one on one abilities, he has no stand out qualities. A good shot stopper but not brilliant. Decent at crosses but not great. Good with the ball at his feet but not close to Ederson. I also thinks he has been lucky that not more of his mistakes have resulted in goals against.