Best individual performances at OT by the opposition

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
We often talk about legendary performances of Manchester United players, but what about legendary performances against us? Most notably at Old Trafford. Which individual performances come to your mind first? Ideally I'd like to combine the best XI.

An obvious shout — Luis Ronaldo scoring a hat-trick against us in one of the best CL games in history. He was applauded off the pitch by our fans:

Kaká tears our makeshift defence to shreds in the 2007 semi-final:

Dejan Savićević was on another level to anyone else in the 1991 European Super Cup:

I can't seem to find a video of his full performance, but Fernando Redondo was simply majestic that day. Notice how the whole stadium suddenly went silent after his outrageous skill:

Any other nominations?

AJ10

That Burnley keeper always seems to have a great day at OT.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Wimbledon dominating at Old Trafford in the FA Cup 4th round with Scholes getting the most undeserved goal in the 90th minute to make it 1 nil. I was only 7 but it was absolutely gutting to see us play so well and concede right at the death... But then up steps Wimbledon's GOAT Robbie Earle to send a bullet header past Schmeichel and equalise in the 92nd. Was my first long journey away game too. What a moment and performance from the Dons.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Danny Murphy.

Scored the winning goal three times in 4 years at Old Trafford when he played for Liverpool.

ashfritz

Supports
Liverpool
Torres tearing up Vidic in 2009. Gerrard also scored a long range FK that game (or maybe it was Fabio Aurelio?), and Dossena got an outrageous lob. Haven't seen a Ferguson side torn apart like that OT before. I'm not including the post-Fergie years.

harms

Staff
That’s a good one @ashfritz. Fantastic performance by the whole Liverpool team - and you’ve humiliated Madrid somewhere around that time as well if I’m not mistaken. Thankfully we still managed to seal the title!

ashfritz

Supports
Liverpool
That’s a good one @ashfritz. Fantastic performance by the whole Liverpool team - and you’ve humiliated Madrid somewhere around that time as well if I’m not mistaken. Thankfully we still managed to seal the title!
Thanks, and yes we did a similar number on Madrid with Dossena again scoring an identical long range outrageous lob for the 4th. I think that was the only season under Benitez when we were genuinly attacking and exciting to watch.

So if we are going for an XI, I'd say Ronaldo, Torres, Danny Murphy are in with a shout. Gerrard had a few good games there as well, scored twice in the Moyes season, and long range rocket when he wore #17. For me that Moyes season shouldn't be taken into consideration. Ideally we should be looking for players who manages to embaress Fergie (peak Utd) at OT, and those are hard to come by. Maybe Arsenal and Chelsea fans can recall performances from Drogba, Henry, goalkeepers. Aguero too?

Last edited:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Dirk Kuyt scoring a hattrick against us.

Fellaini in a game against us for Everton where he played like Pele

SirAF

Ageist

Kaka was mainly down to the clowns in defence that night.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Morten Gamst Pederson for Blackburn ages ago, maybe 2005/6?

Some legendary keeper performances against us too.

Red_toad

Best defensive display by an opposing player was Sol Campbell when he was at Spuds a long long time ago. 1 man wall on that day, he was amazing. Much harder to pick an attacking player, as there's been quite a few who turned it on at OT.

Irwin99

Vieira in the FA Cup 4th round in 2003 was special. He was embarrassed by Phil Neville in his previous encounter at OT but he really stepped up for that game. Probably his last great performance against us as Keane and Scholes tended to win the later encounters.

Torres vs Vidic was overrated, Gerrard played better that game, won the penalty and the free kick that got Vida sent off.

Sir Scott McToMinay

David Silva and Aguero in that 1-6.

Fellaini with Everton in the 4-4 match.

I remember Ballack playing really well at OT with Leverkusen in 2002, think he scored one of the goals.

Someone already mentioned him, but Heaton for Burnley at OT was possibly the best opposition GK performances in recent years.

harms

Staff
Dirk Kuyt scoring a hattrick against us.

Fellaini in a game against us for Everton where he played like Pele
Kuyt’s hat-trick was one of the most underwhelming hat-tricks that I’ve ever seen though. Suarez ran us ragged that day.

RedStarUnited

Bilbao in 2012. Ive never seen a team run like they did that day, we couldn't live with them.

In RVP first season, Pochettinos Southampton came to OT and played us off the park. We won 2-1 but we barely touched the ball. I remember Fergie said that was the best a team had played at OT in a long time.

2plus2is4

Supports
Ze Germans
Manuel Neuer had two great games against United in 2011. Can't remember if the performance at OT was better or the game auf Schalke. But that's easily one of the best GK perfomance vs. a United side.

harms

Staff
Manuel Neuer had two great games against United in 2011. Can't remember if the performance at OT was better or the game auf Schalke. But that's easily one of the best GK perfomance vs. a United side.
His best performance was definitely at Schalke. We somehow won 2:0, but he looked invincible.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Ronaldo. But didn't Freddie ljundberg have a hex for a while? Sorry for the spelling and not remembering how many were at OT

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Bale basically ended Rio Ferdinand's career at OT in 2012. That was a wild game, but Bale was clearly the best player on the pitch by a mile.

norm87cro

It pains me to say it but I would say Torres in the 1 4 loss to the Dippers. Ronaldo had a great game but not a brilliant one. Barthez was a nightmare on the night.

Snafu17

Maybe not the best ever but I remember Mata being pretty amazing in 2013.

Guy Incognito

Best defensive display by an opposing player was Sol Campbell when he was at Spuds a long long time ago. 1 man wall on that day, he was amazing. Much harder to pick an attacking player, as there's been quite a few who turned it on at OT.
Ashley Cole when he was at Chelsea did a very good job nullifying Ronaldo.

Same season I think Fabregas completely bossed the midfield and Arsenal came away with a 1-0 win. First real wobble that season but Ferguson and the players stepped up to win the title. :)

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I thought it was one immense game and then he was poor in the return leg? Almost certain I recall him making at least one howler in the second leg.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Can't think of a particularly amazing Chelsea individual performance at OT even though we have a habit of getting results there (circa 07-11 excepted).

Maybe Alex in the 2011 title decider (we lost but he single handedly prevented a cricket score after coming on at HT) or Flo in 2000 but beyond that i'm struggling.