Best match you’ve ever been to?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
For me it’s either 3-2 against Milan in 2007 or 4-3 against City in 2009. Both emotional rollercoasters. I’ve always favoured night games so if I had to pick I’d have to go Milan. I remember being in school the day after buzzing about it. Although Owen’s winner in stoppage time is easily the loudest I’ve ever heard OT.

I had a ticket for the Macheda game against Villa but didn’t go cause I was sick. That one wouldve been up there for sure.

WakeAndBeek

The Roma 7-1 was electric- the build up was tense with rumours of stabby Romans out for revenge for clashes in the away leg, but in the ground everything went United’s way. Ronaldo was blistering, Carrick scored a couple of crackers, even Alan Smith looked world class. Fantastic atmosphere too.

Eriku

Atmosphere would definitely be 1st UCL semi final against Arsenal in 09, never heard OT, or any other stadium that loud. Can’t imagine what it’d be like in the second leg when you seal a final :eek.

Seeing Xavi, Iniesta, and Messi in full flow in the 11 final was incredible, albeit painful.

My first match was our win against Chelsea in 05, with Fletcher’s looping header. Also notable for Smith’s first foray into being a midfield hard-man :lol: That was a pretty good and close match as well.

Last edited:

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Thailand vs South Korea 98 Asian games. Thailand was hosting the games and up against the Koreans in the quarter finals. We had a nailed on penalty not given before taking an early lead and trying to shut up shop as underdogs do. Go down to ten men and Korea equalize late from a free kick right outside the box. The game goes to extra time and it seems inevitable that we're gonna lose before a worldie free kick in extra time gets us the win and sadly it's still one of our most impressive international performances ever.

Drizzle

Define 'best match'.

Best overall experience was 99 CL final by a mile, but that wasn't a great match, in fact it was mostly rather unpleasant until the very end.

1984 cup winners cup 2nd leg vs Maradona's Barcelona at Old Trafford was the best atmosphere and vibe. Was walking on air for days after that.

Another beautiful occasion was the match v Blackburn at Old Trafford the night we'd just finally won the league again in 1993. The pure shining joy around the stadium was glorious.

Tiber

This was the first game I ever saw at Old Trafford. Will be hard to beat.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Beating the dippers at OT with a Berbatov hattrick that involved a bicycle kick.

Also winning the League Cup final vs Aston Villa, in 2010 I think.

Big Andy

Bloke
Best atmosphere was Barca at home in the Sem Final 2nd leg in 08, a mixture of buzzing and shitting it all rolled into one game. We were on the back foot for most of the game, Scholesy scored a cracker and then we held on for the best part of the next 60-70 minutes.

The release at the end was amazing. I was still in the ground about an hour later just sat in my seat exhausted.

oLeSoLsKjAeR20

I'm coming at this from a best atmosphere/occasion point of view. CL Semi Final 2nd leg v Barca 2008. "VIVA Ronaldo" non stop in the pubs beforehand with the scarves swinging for hours on end. Scholesy's top corner rocket. Then an absolutely gut churning 2nd half when Messi was torturing us and Henry nearly scored. So did Tevez and Park mind you. The defending we did towards the end. Wes Brown was immense. I'll do well to witness a better atmosphere.

And I actually bought my ticket for that game off a tout outside OT 10 mins before kick off! £300 was a lot to part with as a 22 year old! Ended up being worth it and more...!

Best match in a purely footballing sense was probably the 3-2 v Scousers when Berba got the hatrick. Honourable mention to the Leeds game a few weeks ago (not a close match of course but United were unplayable at times and it was great to see)

Foxbatt

When we beat Barca at OT with Maradona in the side. Robson got two. We were 2-0 down from the first leg. We had Robson, Wilkins and Moses in the middle.
Forget about the Red Sea. Even the original Moses could not have done it any better.

EverReddy

CL Final v Bayern. Oh what a night. Late in May in 99. Ole scored a goal in extra time. What a feeling, what a night.

Couple of days in Barcelona beforehand. Ramblas all night. Unforgettable.

AaronRedDevil

First match I ever went too. The one where Wenger got sent to the stands. We were a couple of rows behind him.

poleglass red

Define 'best match'.

Best overall experience was 99 CL final by a mile, but that wasn't a great match, in fact it was mostly rather unpleasant until the very end.

1984 cup winners cup 2nd leg vs Maradona's Barcelona at Old Trafford was the best atmosphere and vibe. Was walking on air for days after that.

Another beautiful occasion was the match v Blackburn at Old Trafford the night we'd just finally won the league again in 1993. The pure shining joy around the stadium was glorious.
bingo, that was the exact same one I was going to say.

RUCK4444

Rooney overhead kick vs City

8-2 vs Arsenal.

Edit: With regards to atmosphere have to give a special mention to Ronaldo's 2nd debut the other week against Newcastle. The atmosphere was unbelievable, even G Nev and few other ex players said they can't remember the stadium and city being so bouncing.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The 8-2 against Arsenal

Withnail

The Roma 7-1 was electric- the build up was tense with rumours of stabby Romans out for revenge for clashes in the away leg, but in the ground everything went United’s way. Ronaldo was blistering, Carrick scored a couple of crackers, even Alan Smith looked world class. Fantastic atmosphere too.
I was about to post this. That was my first match at OT. It was a package thing which was fly in before and fly out straight after the game which I'll never do again. Totally worth it though. It was a great game.

largelyworried

The 4-3 Real Madrid match was definitely an occasion, a lovely hazy warm evening & I was just slightly drunk going in. It all passed in a blur. Beating Barca 1-0 was another good one. I couldn't sleep for about 3 hours after I got home.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The McT game against City, which we suspected at the time may end up being the final game before lockdown, will be pretty hard to beat for me.

Macheda was pretty special too.

RomfordRed75

A few I can mention:

6-2 away to Arsenal in the league Cup in 1991 (Sharpe hat trick)
3-2 Liverpool Berba hat trick
7-1 against West Ham in 2000 (I was away with west ham fans all weekend the Saturday night was fantastic!)
But I think the 3-3 against Barcelona in 1999 really stood out as an incredible game of football

Speako

Trying to stay away from all the obvious games, I’ll go for Arsenal at home, August ‘89. Knighton juggling the ball, Stretford end bouncing, investment in the team, and beat the champions 4-1 on the opening day. We went home thinking we’d already won the league! How wrong we were.

wolvored

I was lucky to go to se the q/f against Porto when we won 4-0. This was the time 97? I think it was when for me we finally started to become a decent team in Europe. Ronny Johnson played in midfield, but when defending made it a back 5. I went for a piss and missed Mays goal l ol. Fantastic atmosphere and I felt we could have gone on to win it that season.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I haven't been to OT for well over a decade but a few spring to mind:

- Game where we beat Liverpool 3-0(?) and Masch was sent off
- Time we beat Newcastle 6-0 and Renaldo scored his first career hattrick (admittedly more of a I was there moment)
- The time Rooney scored that worldie against Newcastle (again, more of a wow that was class moment)

choccy77

1996 FA Cup Final win vs Liverpool for the Double

Beckham's goal from Half Way line at Wimbledon.

These two come to mind as so historic

Longshanks

Real Madrid 03 probably, won the game lost the tie. Incredible atmosphere incredible match some absoulte legends on the pitch the Brazilian Ronaldo getting a standing ovation, John o'shea nutmegging figo. It had everything other than the result of course.

Although like the OP AC Milan in 07 was also pretty special.

Lentwood

Nottingham Forest 1 - 8 Manchester United
Manchester United 1 - 0 Barcelona
Manchester United 1 - 0 Chelsea (the Darren Fletcher looping header - electric atmosphere)
Manchester United 3 - 2 AC Milan
Manchester United 7 - 1 Roma
Manchester United 5 - 2 Tottenham Hotspur (0-2 at HT)
Manchester United 4 - 1 Blackburn Rovers (2007)

My memory is terrible so I am sure I have missed loads of good ones but they stand out for one reason or another

Minkaro

Not the best result, but the 5-5 against West Brom for entertainment value.

Lentwood

Nottingham Forest 1 - 8 Manchester United
Manchester United 1 - 0 Barcelona
Manchester United 1 - 0 Chelsea (the Darren Fletcher looping header - electric atmosphere)
Manchester United 3 - 2 AC Milan
Manchester United 7 - 1 Roma
Manchester United 5 - 2 Tottenham Hotspur (0-2 at HT)
Manchester United 4 - 1 Blackburn Rovers (2007)

My memory is terrible so I am sure I have missed loads of good ones but they stand out for one reason or another
I also enjoyed the 4-2 vs Manchester City at OT under LvG but feels a bit 'small time' because we achieved bugger all that season!

Also would add to the above the League Cup Final win over Southampton because it was one of the last games I went to with my Dad, at Wembley, winning a trophy and it was a good game.

Plus, the 4-0 win over Wigan in the League Cup because that was the first trophy I saw United lift live and the Millennium Stadium was fantastic.

vanrooney

my first game at ot - 5-2 against tottenham in 2009 and the city game with waynes overhead kick

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
United - Barca CL semi 2008 :drool:
One of class of 92 scoring the goal to put us in the final.
Stuff of dreams!

Judas

Open to offers
Barca semi in 2008 was special. The atmosphere and jubilation, the relief at the full time whistle.

CL final in Moscow is probably the one though, an emotional rollercoaster. Just an exhausting experience.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Mine aren’t worth mentioning other than to say that when I go to OT we average 3.6 goals for and 0.2 goals against.

432JuanMata

For Goals 1-6 vs City :(
For excitement 3-2 vs Villa Macheda moment.
For pure end to end 4-4 vs Everton