Best MLS player of all time?

TheReligion

Abusive
A few initial thoughts and based on how they performed in MLS..

1) Carlos Valderrama
2) David Beckham
3) Marco Etcheverry
4) Landon Donnavan
5) Robbie Keane
6) Cobi Jones
7) Zlatan Ibrahimovic
8) Carlos Vela
9) Chris Wondolowski
10) David Villa

Oranges038

No Bradley?Wright Phillips that is, best player to come out of Ian Wright

FriedClams

Henry probably the best player thats ever played there, but Donovan the best week in week out performer

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Any list without Giovinco does not make sense. If we are talking about performers in the MLS he’s ahead of most of those guys.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
  • Greatest MLS player of all time: Landon Donovan
  • “Best” MLS player of all time: Sebastian Giovinco
  • Greatest player to have played in the MLS: Lothar Matthäus
  • Greatest player to have played in a predecessor of the MLS: Pelé

Carolina Red

Staff
Landon Donovan

He's 2nd all time in goals, 1st all time in assists, was part of a record 6 championship teams, and the MLS MVP award is named after him.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Landon Donovan. Actually would have seen him play more in Europe. Had a good spell at Everton.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
I saw Beckham play for LA. Even to someone who'd never been to a game in their life, they would be clear he was the best player on the field, even at that age. Effortless passing just knowing where everyone was. He bossed the game.

Buckie

Supports
Arsenal
Any list without Giovinco does not make sense. If we are talking about performers in the MLS he’s ahead of most of those guys.
Agreed. He had a short run but he was incredible in his time in MLS.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
Landon Donovan

He's 2nd all time in goals, 1st all time in assists, was part of a record 6 championship teams, and the MLS MVP award is named after him.
Why did Donovan not try his luck in Europe properly again when he was at his peak? From memory he looked quite classy on loan at Everton. I read an article about him where he seemed to be suggesting he liked his lifestyle at home and wasn't interested, which is fair enough but also a bit of a shame because that MLS record is seriously impressive.

Carolina Red

Staff
Why did Donovan not try his luck in Europe properly again when he was at his peak? From memory he looked quite classy on loan at Everton. I read an article about him where he seemed to be suggesting he liked his lifestyle at home and wasn't interested, which is fair enough but also a bit of a shame because that MLS record is seriously impressive.
I think you’ve answered your own question there.

“If you’ve followed my career at all, you will know that I perform best in comfortable surroundings. Though other leagues may seem more enticing to other players, it’s something I’m just not interested in doing personally.” – Landon Donovan

The only place he liked overseas like he did the US was Everton, but the LA Galaxy didn’t want to let him leave permanently.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He tried to make it twice at Leverkusen and once at Bayern, at age 19, 22 and 26, between those three attempts he made the starting lineup once and played 300 minutes. He just wasn't a particularly good player and him suggesting that he just wasn't bothered, when he made five moves to Europe sounds quite interesting.

NoPace

I saw Beckham play for LA. Even to someone who'd never been to a game in their life, they would be clear he was the best player on the field, even at that age. Effortless passing just knowing where everyone was. He bossed the game.
Interesting. I saw Beckham play for LA in 2009 and Donovan was the better player at that point and it wasn't that close. Beckham's long passing was lovely though.

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool

“If you’ve followed my career at all, you will know that I perform best in comfortable surroundings. Though other leagues may seem more enticing to other players, it’s something I’m just not interested in doing personally.” – Landon Donovan

The only place he liked overseas like he did the US was Everton, but the LA Galaxy didn’t want to let him leave permanently.
Fair enough, was wondering if there was more to it.

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
Just looked at his Wiki and was wondering why an established Serie A player with 23 Italy caps went to Toronto FC at his peak. I suppose this explains it:

2015 season: MLS MVP[edit]
Giovinco playing for Toronto FC during the 2015 MLS season
On 19 January 2015, Giovinco signed with Canadian team Toronto FC of Major League Soccer (MLS).[52] He was set to join the team upon the completion of the Serie A season in July 2015. He signed a five-year contract with a reported annual salary of $7 million, making him the highest paid player in MLS ahead of Orlando City SC's Kaká,[53] and the highest paid Italian player in all leagues.[54] On 2 February, Juventus announced that Giovinco had left the club five months earlier than originally expected in order to kick-start his career in MLS with Toronto FC.
[55]

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Just looked at his Wiki and was wondering why an established Serie A player with 23 Italy caps went to Toronto FC at his peak. I suppose this explains it:

On 19 January 2015, Giovinco signed with Canadian team Toronto FC of Major League Soccer (MLS).[52] He was set to join the team upon the completion of the Serie A season in July 2015. He signed a five-year contract with a reported annual salary of $7 million, making him the highest paid player in MLS ahead of Orlando City SC's Kaká,[53] and the highest paid Italian player in all leagues.[54] On 2 February, Juventus announced that Giovinco had left the club five months earlier than originally expected in order to kick-start his career in MLS with Toronto FC.
[55]
At his peak? He barely got to play any minutes in the 18 months before his move, recorded two goals, one assist in those 1.5 seasons.

Eddy_JukeZ

Honestly think Beckham was incredible in the MLS.

I'd go him or Donovan.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Think someone has said it before already, bit Bradley Wright Phillips is up there surely?!

But out of the list it's Keane for sure.

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
At his peak? He barely got to play any minutes in the 18 months before his move, recorded two goals, one assist in those 1.5 seasons.
The conventional peak age anyway. I know nothing of his career.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Used to stream the games at at supid o'clock, he made it look effortless.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

[55]
He was brilliant at Parma. But he didn't cut it at Juventus. He was a just a bit too small and lightweight.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

Another interesting talent MLS blocked at one time was Clint Mathis when Bayern Munich (and a few others) were inquiring following the 2002 World Cup. Mathis was pissed and it clearly affected his MLS performances thereafter but later got his move in early 2004 after his contract had ended. Yet another abomination that is centrally controlled contracts, single entity lark.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Valderrama was probably the best performer and talent over the first decade of the league's existence.

I'd go Donovan as greatest MLS player but Henry was the best talent to ever show up on the scene.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He tried to make it twice at Leverkusen and once at Bayern, at age 19, 22 and 26, between those three attempts he made the starting lineup once and played 300 minutes. He just wasn't a particularly good player and him suggesting that he just wasn't bothered, when he made five moves to Europe sounds quite interesting.
This is a bit misleading. He joined Leverkusen at the age of 19, and never settled. He was allowed frequent trips back to the US due to homesickness and allowed to leave to the US on loan. After a few years of being loaned, he returned to Leverkusen and almost immediately requested to be transferred. Despite concrete interest from PL clubs he opted to return to the US.

Yes, he joined Bayern at 26, on loan. This had nothing to do with him trying to make it in Europe, but the fact that there's no MLS during the periods when he went out on loan. It's the same reason he spent a couple winters at Everton.

He was obviously good enough to play in Europe, and it's clear he struggled to adapt to living outside of the US. So I'm not sure what is wrong with what he said?

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
So can someone please explain to me how Toronto FC managed to sign Bernardeschi, a 39 cap Italy international at the age of 28? What is going on in that league?

Also, I was looking at the average attendance in the USL by club and it appears the crowds in America's second division are actually pretty comparable to crowds in France's second division. I'm guessing the clubs are fully professional with reasonable facilities? Just having two divisions of professional clubs where players can make a living and develop is such a huge advantage over what what we can dream of in Australia at the moment.

I noticed there's even international players from other CONCACAF countries that play in it. Mindblowing.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
So can someone please explain to me how Toronto FC managed to sign Bernardeschi, a 39 cap Italy international at the age of 28? What is going on in that league?

Also, I was looking at the average attendance in the USL by club and it appears the crowds in America's second division are actually pretty comparable to crowds in France's second division. I'm guessing the clubs are fully professional with reasonable facilities? Just having two divisions of professional clubs where players can make a living and develop is such a huge advantage over what what we can dream of in Australia at the moment.

I noticed there's even international players from other CONCACAF countries that play in it. Mindblowing.
They offered him a high wage while living in one of the world's best countries in terms of quality of living (Canada is always on the top of those lists). He can both win a huge sum while keeping his occidental lifestyle, which would not be possible in case he went to one of the Asian leagues.

USL will grow, and I'm sure MLS will start to consider having demotions and promotions if the number of clubs with large number of supporters become higher

Natural for their league to have tons of CONCACAF internationals: they pay the highest wages in their continent.

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
They offered him a high wage while living in one of the world's best countries in terms of quality of living (Canada is always on the top of those lists). He can both win a huge sum while keeping his occidental lifestyle, which would not be possible in case he went to one of the Asian leagues.

USL will grow, and I'm sure MLS will start to consider having demotions and promotions if the number of clubs with large number of supporters become higher

Natural for their league to have tons of CONCACAF internationals: they pay the highest wages in their continent.
Was more wondering what they did to prise him away from playing in a big four league ie. what was the salary, was there a transfer fee etc. But I'm sure I could have just googled it.

It's natural the MLS has CONCACAF internationals, yeah, but I was surprised even the USL has them. Along with the decent crowds comparable to France's Ligue 2. Basically I've been reading about US soccer lately and a bit taken aback at how much it's managed to take off in the last ten years vs Australia's domestic system which has gone the other way.