Film Best Opening Title Sequences

Mike Smalling

Very much agree with both Watchmen and True Detective!

Would also add Se7en - perfectly captures the tone of the film and gives insights into the main bad guy long before we meet him.

Robertd0803

Watchmen. Utterly stunning stuff.

The first note of music in any Star Wars film.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Title is wrong for some reason, it's Naked Gun obviously:

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Thanks.

Imo the best title sequences set out in very short time the mood of the film. Fire Walk With Me opening is telling the audiences this film isn't going to be like the television show(Or really season 2 which Lynch hated).
The opening episode of season 2 is actually excellent. Terrifying as well. It's probably mainly very good up until the killer is apprehended. Then you wonder for so long why the show was even still being broadcast before Lynch returned for the final few episodes and then the brilliant payoff.

Sweet Square

The opening episode of season 2 is actually excellent. Terrifying as well. It's probably mainly very good up until the killer is apprehended. Then you wonder for so long why the show was even still being broadcast before Lynch returned for the final few episodes and then the brilliant payoff.
I could be wrong but wasn't the killer reveal down to falling ratings ? Completely agree with you that afterwards it became a pointless show(Until Lynch came back).

Like everything with Lynch the mystery is always far more interesting than any answers.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
I could be wrong but wasn't the killer reveal down to falling ratings ? Completely agree with you that afterwards it became a pointless show(Until Lynch came back).

Like everything with Lynch the mystery is always far more interesting than any answers.
Now that you say it, I think you are right about declining ratings having a significant bearing on the reveal of the killer. Of course TV was different back then and (although a cliche to say it), the show was probably ahead of its time. Audiences were not particularly used that kind of long term story-telling and there was no HBO or Showtime Original Series which would allow Lynch the freedom to cultivate the kind of narrative he so desired. However, when you also factor in that Lynch seemingly never wanted to reveal the killer at all along with the story behind the character of BOB and how he was effectively discovered by accident, it makes you seriously wonder how entirely different the show could have been.

littlepeasoup

Not sure about the best, but I was always disappointed as a kid when the title sequence of a Pink Panther film would end and the rest of it wasn't just more cartoon.

Sweet Square

Now that you say it, I think you are right about declining ratings having a significant bearing on the reveal of the killer. Of course TV was different back then and (although a cliche to say it), the show was probably ahead of its time. Audiences were not particularly used that kind of long term story-telling and there was no HBO or Showtime Original Series which would allow Lynch the freedom to cultivate the kind of narrative he so desired. However, when you also factor in that Lynch seemingly never wanted to reveal the killer at all along with the story behind the character of BOB and how he was effectively discovered by accident, it makes you seriously wonder how entirely different the show could have been.
Don't know if you seen the The Return(3rd season) but for the most part I think that is the closest we'll get to what David Lynch ideal form of Twin Peaks. Funny enough I did see some criticisms of the new season that it didn't give enough answers!