Best PL midfielder signing of 2018

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Not a comparison against each other, but who do you all think will have the best impact for their respective teams over the course of this season?

Fred for United?
Jorginho for Chelsea?
Fabinho for Liverpool?
Keita for Liverpool?
Matteo Guendouzi for Arsenal?
Jean Michael Seri for Fulham?

I'll even throw in Mateo Kovacic (loan) for Chelsea into the mix.

Anyone else?

Last edited:

ash_86

If we upped up our playing speed Fred would be a revelation for us. His passes are so crisp on the left/right

Murray3007

Jorginho will have the biggest impact on the team as hes perfect for the way Sarri sets his side up. the rest will be good signings but wont have as big an impact on there sides.

Sea-Cow

It sure as F ain't Fred

I think Kovacic to Chelsea was the best signing, for the "top" teams.

The Urugyuan to Arsenal might also turn out to be an excellent signing in the long term.

CM10

Between Jorginho or Keita. The former looked very good in Chelsea's first couple of games and allowed Kante to push further up the pitch, which worked surprisingly well, though I'm not sure it's something that will become a permanent feature of their play.

Keita obviously adds another dimension to the Liverpool midfield. He's by far the most talented midfielder they've got and I imagine he'll be key in speeding up their transition between defence and attack which is a bit of a scary thought.

Blind

Seri for Fulham should also be in the mix, looks impressive already.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Jorginho or Keita. Jorginho is already the metronome around which Chelsea’s midfield ticks - I’m actually surprised Pep didn’t go all out to grab him because he’s exactly what City need in that centre of midfield .. atm they rely on CAMs coming deeper and using Fernandinho as a conductor but Jorginho is a natural regista and a proper CM maestro.

Keita is operating at half speed at the moment, seems like he’s mostly keeping it simple but I imagine with time he’ll grow to be the best out of all those midfielders.

Fred is a solid signing and I think he’ll eventually be a cult hit in his own right,

Fabinho needs time to get upto to speed - too early to judge but unlikely to prove to be the best out of that quartet.

Guendouzi is a really talented player and have enjoyed watching him. Very raw at the moment but he has the tools to be a strong player for Arsenal. Though he could also turn out to be the CDM version of Luiz

NikkiCFC

Supports
Chelsea
Not only in PL. Two best midfielders who changed clubs this summer both came to Chelsea.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The David Luiz lookalike Arsenal signed. Simply because he's a David Luiz lookalike. David Luiz is my hero.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
How can anyone say definitively 3 games into the season?

Jorginho has been best of the lot so far but it's still too early.

Not only in PL. Two best midfielders who changed clubs this summer both came to Chelsea.
:houllier:

Kovacic has played 100 minutes in total so far. Bizarre post.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Jorginho to Chelsea, Keita to Liverpool as the top 2. Kovacic will be quality at chelsea as well, but only a loan. Torreira will do well for Arsenal as well imo.

deafepl

Jorginho is the perfect signing for Sarri's Chelsea. I haven't seen anything special about Keita except the first game against West Ham. Fred is very complicated as he is really good against Spurs and second half against Brighton but it didn't help that we lost two games in a row and producing a more key pass, through balls and crosses to the box than Keita and Jorginho have produced.

It is still too early to say, 3 games are not enough to compare.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Haven’t seen much of Chelsea, but the ones to look for are, obviously, Jorginho and Keita. I still have high hopes for Fred though

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Haha that’s the one. The Rabiot impersonater.

I’ve been impressed. I think he could be a great buy.
Could end up being a good buy as people claim he's very talented. And he does have something about hi. But he's been all over the place in his PL performances so far and not in a good way.

Robbie Boy

Could end up being a good buy as people claim he's very talented. And he does have something about hi. But he's been all over the place in his PL performances so far and not in a good way.
Yeah I don’t actually think he’ll be the best midfield signing. I do think he looks talented. I didn’t see all the WH game but I thought he looked bright at times.

Varun

Staff
Kieta and Jorginho will have the biggest impacts on their teams.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah I don’t actually think he’ll be the best midfield signing. I do think he looks talented. I didn’t see all the WH game but I thought he looked bright at times.
I do think he has something very interesting about him which is presumably why Arsenal fans are going ga-ga over him. I just thought he'd be more refined in his PL games thus far. Then again, that's also unfair given a much more experienced and expensive Fred has also looked raw for us.

IAmAWinner

Jorginho and Keita already look like really class signings. Contrary to many United fans, I have been actually impressed by Fred, once he's fully settled in, he will be fantastic.

izec

Too many. Keita and Jorginho i have down as the best buys. Kovacic and Torreira as good, but smaller impact than the two above.

Guendouzi is raw and makes too many mistakes currently, but he has good potential. I like him

TheReligion

Abusive
Quality post.

Let's wait till Xmas then revisit, it's only been 3 games so far.
Very much this. Far too early to be asking this question although if you really want an answer three games in then it has to be Jorginho.

I saw him live and wasn't very impressed but he must have had an off day as he does look a real classy operator.

Would rather come back to this in 6 months time though.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Jorginho for me. He is simply amazing. Similar level of passing as Kroos, but he is faster in releasing the ball.

How the hell did Italy fail to qualify for the WC with Jorginho and Veratti in midfield?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Jorginho seems to have already become central to everything Chelsea do. Keita's had some decent performances but I don't think he's revolutionized our midfield to the extent that Jorginho has Chelsea's.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Fred for United? Has looked off the pace so far but then united aren't playing well so hard to judge. Looks to be a bit rash and has some big mistakes in him and a red card.
Jorginho for Chelsea? Our metronome, in terms of difference he probably has the most effect, so classy and a quality passer.
Fabinho for Liverpool? Hasn't really played much yet and cant judge, I did quite rate him at Monaco
Keita for Liverpool? Looks quality, a lot more raw than Jorghino but is also probably more of a match winner. Will be very very good next year I would imagine
Matteo Guendouzi for Arsenal? For his price, absolute steal, good talent
Jean Michael Seri for Fulham? Awesome as most effected and cleary a cut above fulham

I'll even throw in Mateo Kovacic (loan) for Chelsea into the mix. Hasn't played enough but has looked good so far when he has played

Coach V

Supports
Liverpool
Felliani - (Extension) :D Hands down!!!

Amongs the rest, in the right order

Impact:
  1. Jorginho (Chelsea)
  2. Guendouzi (Arsenal)
  3. Kovacic (Chelsea) & Keita (Liverpool)
  4. Anderson (West Ham) & Seri (Fulham)
  5. Moutinho (Wolves)
Potential:
  1. Fred (United)
  2. Torreira (Arsenal)
  3. Fabinho (Liverpool)
  4. Shaqiri (Liverpool)

Last edited:

Craig Ward

Moutinho has looked very good for Wolves. Him and Neves look a good pairing.

Jorginho/keita will obviously top the polls. Keita is a game changer, Jorginho runs the midfield for Chelsea. Soon as he has a spell out Chelsea will be a different team.