Best player of Fergie's era

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Spinning out from the Ronaldo "4 myths" thread, this probably merits it's own thread.

Looking back over the course of Fergie's time at the club. Which player would you single out the best?

I'm torn between Keane, Scholes or Giggs.

Maybe Giggs shades it for still being so amazing, after all these years?

That's leaving out Cantona and Ronaldo though. Controversial?

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
He he, it was just so obvious you were going to make this thread.

:)

Steve

I would say the 'best' player has been Ronaldo if we're talking ability but I would also be tempted to give it to Giggs for obvious reasons.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I think it would have to be Cantona. For such a small fee, and for what he achieved in his short time there, I would give my vote to him.

He epitomised what the club was about.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Giggs or Keane, can't decide.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It was Ronaldo - the best since Best!

If you want most useful, greatest service, most influential, or whatever then other factors and players come into the frame.
I think those are important factors when you decide on the "best".

That's why, for example, Keane's performance against Juventus in '99 will always put him ahead of Ronaldo in this sort of discussion. I don't think Ronaldo has ever influenced the course of such an important game as comprehensively as Keane did that night.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
The most important player has to be Cantona, but I'd say the best is either Schmeichel or Rio Ferdinand.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I think those are important factors when you decide on the "best".

That's why, for example, Keane's performance against Juventus in '99 will always put him ahead of Ronaldo in this sort of discussion. I don't think Ronaldo has ever influenced the course of such an important game as comprehensively as Keane did that night.
Whereas I'd say as soon as you use the influential word - the name that comes back is Cantona. Because he sparked something in the team, a cockiness perhaps that players like Giggs (a brilliant player even at that age but not yet a "winner") needed to turn them into great. The right man at the right time.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Whereas I'd say as soon as you use the influential word - the name that comes back is Cantona. Because he sparked something in the team, a cockiness perhaps that players like Giggs (a brilliant player even at that age but not yet a "winner") needed to turn them into great. The right man at the right time.
Yeah, Cantona is right up there for exactly the reason you point out - an ability to bring the best out of those around him.

That's, arguably, something which Giggs and Scholes lack but Keane had in spades.

Hmmm...

I'm still undecided!

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Keane for me I think. He was so influential while at the club in everything that the team did. An inspiration, not forgetting he was the captain of the arguably the greatest Man Utd team.

This isn't taking anything away from the likes of Giggs, Scholes, Cantona etc. Its like choosing who your favorite child is or some shit this is!

Depends on what talent you have judge the players on I guess. If it was who was the most naturally gifted footballer, then it would be Ronaldo.

mjs020294

Expect a better question would be if you could pick one player from SAF's era to be in your side, who would it be?

twitchchris

Didn't SAF state that Keane was the best player he'd ever managed? I seem to recall something to that effect.

Keane for me. Giggs and Scholes are matched for close second.

irishmanc

Even in the dressing room afterwards, I had no rem
I think it's Cantona. Has to be.

Nobody in Ferguson's era before or after him walked out into OT with such a belief that he owned the place. I think he looked at it as his stage and he wanted to own it.

Collar out. Chest puffed. Ther will never be another like him.

He had it all, both in terms of ability and the leadership/inspiration factor.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Keane or Cantona......

Probably Cantona. If I take a step back and ask who the greatest players are that have ever played for this club are, those two names are up there with Best and Charlton, in my opinion.

Cantona took us to the next level at a time when we were knocking on the door but just needed that catalyst and that extra something. He really was an incredible player.

If longevity is important (which it is of course, but I only believe it's a factor, not a decider) then clearly Giggs and Scholes are up there. Ronaldo would be ahead of Scholes, in my opinion since the peak of his powers surpasses Scholes' best season's. An incredible player is Scholes, but we couldn't have won some of the trophies we did without Ronaldo's influence to the point of single-handed displays of genius at times.

Schmeichel cannot be forgotten either, since he is in my opinion the greatest goalkeeper of all time. Maybe that says something that the greatest GK ever is below so many other great names - have we got it wrong or like the transfer fees they command suggest, forward players just that much more important?

My list:

10. Rooney
9. Beckham
8. Ferdinand
7. Scholes
6. Robson
5. Schmeichel
4. Ronaldo
3. Giggs
2. Keane
1. Cantona

buckooo1978

depends upon how you define the best

peter schmeichal was the best goalkeeper in the world and the best goalkeeper i've ever seen - during his time in goal he was peerless

based on that was it schmeichal but for me it would be giggs based on his performances, his leadership, his impact and the fact that hhe embodies manchester united

B Cantona

Desperate
A measure of Fergie's success that there's so many to choose from

But Cantona for me. You can't underestimate his quality and his influence

Giggs for sheer longevity and dependability would be in there, Scholes perhaps the most gifted player, Schmeichel is the best in his position of all time as far as I'm concerned, Keane for his undying will to win, Ronaldo for his effectiveness, Rooney as our current best player who still has plenty to give

But Cantona. Definitely Cantona

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
my actual vote was this but I didnt think about it too much and if i did it again it would probably be a totally different order

1. Cantona
2. Scholes
3. Schmeichel
4. Keane
5. Ronaldo
6. Beckham
7. Irwin
8. Ferdinand
9. Bruce
10. Giggs

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
my actual vote was this but I didnt think about it too much and if i did it again it would probably be a totally different order

1. Cantona
2. Scholes
3. Schmeichel
4. Keane
5. Ronaldo
6. Beckham
7. Irwin
8. Ferdinand
9. Bruce
10. Giggs
Sorry, what?!

Talk to me.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
hmm imo it is very hard to decide what "the best player" actually means. there could be few possibilities - like the player who excelled the most in his position, the player who was the most reliable and never drop under the certain level, the player who had his bad games but when was on form was simply unstoppable, the player who was the most necessary player in his team at that time, player who delivered no matter where he played, the player with best technique etc etc.

so Giggs has had his bad games but when on form he was just a devil on that left wing, probably one of the best left wingers ever. Keano could be regarded as the most important player of (many claim so) the best United team ever, RvN excelled in his delegated task beyond belief- the guy was immense poacher. Ole was a player who delivered no matter where or how seldom he played. Ronaldo was flashy and efficient and definitively deserves a mention. Cantona was somebody special too, probably the most charismatic player ever.

but my vote goes to Schmikes - the only player who got deserved credit not only among people linked to United but also worldwide. he was really that good and nobody questioned that.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
Best player under Ferguson, in the literal sense, would probably be Ronaldo. But the best player to give the most to the team and leave a lasting legacy would be Cantona.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
In the literal sense, it can surely be no-one other than Schmeichel.

Jacob

What does best player even mean? It's missleading

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I want to say Giggs but don't want to discount the importance of Cantona or the bonafide brilliance of Ronaldo.

Giggs: homegrown(-ish), most decorated and still doing it after all these years.

Cantona: took the club back to the top for next to nothing, influential and kicked that hooligan

Ronaldo: World player of the year, 42 goal season and the final proof that United take good players and turn them into brilliant ones.

It would be one of these three and I'd likely go for Giggs.

Keane was a great player for us but the ignominy of his departure from the club tarnished his legacy just enough for me to not consider him.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
In the literal sense, it can surely be no-one other than Schmeichel.
Yeah that's another thing though altogether. Like the Bramble>Zidane thing. Schmeichel was the best goalkeeper we ever had, but he couldn't win us games, he could stop us losing. That's why i'd have Cantona and Ronaldo above him.