Television Best season of Game Of Thrones?

El-Manos

Since we're in lockdown again here in Ireland, I've decided to rewatch all seasons of Game of Thrones. Whilst most of us agree season 8 was a major disappointment, let's not forget this still remains one of the best television shows of all time.

Spoiler alert !

For me season 6 is hands down the best season. It's the season where everything slowly starts to come together and where the story most capitalises on its narrative build-up, bringing storylines and characters together in satisfying, and also unexpected ways. This season has the 2 best episodes in the entire show. Battle of the Bastards and at second The Winds of Winter.

Arguably the most emotional moment in the whole series occurs in The Door.

Bran’s storyline begins to matter within the larger context of this world.

By far Jon's best season, "my watch has ended", "King in the north", and of course, the legendary: Battle of the Bastards.

Cersei completing her transformation as the mad Queen. Literally blowing up all her remaining enemies in King's landing.

Khaleesi, still as boring as ever, granted, but at least she finally sets sail !

Tyrion finding purpose again as hand of the Queen. Perhaps not his strongest season but remains a strong character.

Arya's transformation to a cold blooded assassin.

So fellow Caftards, what's your pick from the lot and why? Perhaps if the mods could add a poll, that would be great.

Sylar

Tempted to go for an early season but I'm going for season 4

The lion and the rose episode, from joffreys wedding to his demise

Laws of God's and men with Tyrion speech to the next episode where viper declares him self to fight for Tyrion

Then the final three episodes with the sick ending to mountain vs viper, the excellence of watchers On the wall and then the final episode and basically KL changing for good

An excellent overall season with so many great scenes and possibly the peak in terms of acting and dialogue

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Good choices so far. First season in addition to 4 and 6 are the most watchable for me.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Season 4 stood out for me. Wasn’t season 6 when GoT started going downhill? Been a while since I’ve seen it but that’s what I recall.

Mike Smalling

First season will always be my favourite. Where focus was placed on the characters, world-building and intrigue, rather CGI, action and shock value. And Ned Stark was still around.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
One of the first four. Probably 1 or 4. After that the decline was huge with some very good episodes.

Zen86

Season 1 is the highest quality for me, followed by 4. Season 6 was ok and is the best of the rest, but the rest of the series ended up being about the big shock moments rather than a quality story.

Sylar

Season 4 stood out for me. Wasn’t season 6 when GoT started going downhill? Been a while since I’ve seen it but that’s what I recall.
I'd say five in terms of episodes and dialogue
But hardhome was great and one of the best episodes in the whole run

Season 6 returned to form for me but had first signs of being 'Hollywood' in terms of character decisions not having consequences but it was minor compared to 7 and 8

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
One of the first four. Probably 1 or 4. After that the decline was huge with some very good episodes.
This. Everything after them running out of book material is a level below. I hated the battle of the bastards for example. Every ounce of logic was sacrificed for visuals and spectacle. Like Ramsey 'bullseye' Snow tbe master archer of evil and whatshisname 'ionlycanrunstraightahead' Stark. The for-no-reason-at-all secret cavalry turning the tide at the last possible moment.
And that's just that one episode. Not to mention how they cheated their way out of writing plotlines for half the cast by simply blowing them up. The horrible, horrible dialogue in Dorne (bad pussy... Aaaaaargh).
I have to stop now, it still gets me angry :lol:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
First one was groundbreaking. Some of the latter ones may have better battle scenes & higher stakes, but overall I’d certainly go for the first one. Red Wedding had nothing on Ned’s death, you just couldn’t imagine Ned Stark, the supposed protagonist, getting killed — and not even in the final episode! I mean, granted, Shaun Bean dies in everything, but still...

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
1 or 4 are the best two, I don't think you can seperate them. Season 1 barely had any wasted dialogue and Ned's death will always be one of the best TV twists ever, the pacing of that first season was amazing too. Season 4 had some of the greatest episodes and moments in the show's entire run, battle of Castle Black, the Mountain vs the Viper and the Lion and the Rose, just superb from start to finish.

My overall ranking would be something like: 1/4, 3, 6, 2, 5, 7, 8

I did a rewatch a few months ago and found that ending it at the end of season 6 was a perfect place to end the rewatch before it went really downhill, the cracks began to show in season 5 and 6 was far from perfect but it still had some excellent episodes, it's probably the last season any of the Stark kids showed any actual emotion. It might be slightly controversial but I found season 2 to be quite dull compared to the other great seasons, they spent too much time with dull characters and dull plotlines.

Mike Smalling

Another point for Season 1 is, that Daenerys was actually quite an interesting character and had a really good arc. In later seasons her story was poorly written and extremely boring.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The Crasters Keep episodes were quality

Karl: “ I was a legend... fecking LEGEND!”

AaronRedDevil

Season 4 was easily the peak of GoT. Full on political warfare, Tyrion's speech in the trial, Mountain vs The Viper, Tywins death, Joffrey being an amazing little cnut. Littlefinger and Olenna scheming that killed Joffrey and the whole world celebrated. Dany finally showing what she can do. Jaime redemption. The battle on the wall, Jons battle on crasters keep. Arya and the hound adventures. Brienne vs the hound. Arya set out to Bravos. Ramsey being the new cnut of the show. Everything happened that season. Feck me, what a show.

Last edited:

b82REZ

Surprised that history has seen season 2 be relegated to a medicare season. Many regarded it as the best until season 4.

For me 1/4, 2, 3, 6, 5, 7/8.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I think with GoT, season quality directly pertains to number of tits. So obviously 1 is the best.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
I’d go for the first one, it was more intriguing and had great potential plus the writing was better. Still can’t believe they killed Ned.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Season 1 and 5 for me. Season 5 is pretty good and has lots of twists. Stannis on his (so so stupid) march on Winterfell, Dany's problems in free cities, annoying sparrows...

Adamsk7

Season 4 without doubt. The show was amazing in the previous seasons but it was missing something - all of the characters were gritty/smarmy/stoic etc but as soon as the Martels and Dorne hit the show, there was a sudden influx of colour, mystique and charisma (especially with the Viper) that matched so well with everything else that was going on.

I’d go 4, 1, 6, 2, 3, 5 Then a big gap 7,8

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Season 4 was my favourite. So many great scenes, the intrigue from earlier seasons was still strong, plenty of shocks & twists and all the major characters were consistent to previous years. The later seasons had good/great moments, but I think season 4 was the peak of the show.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Season 1 was the most stringent adaptation of the book and it was cool to see those characters and environments come to life.

El-Manos

Tempted to go for an early season but I'm going for season 4

The lion and the rose episode, from joffreys wedding to his demise

Laws of God's and men with Tyrion speech to the next episode where viper declares him self to fight for Tyrion

Then the final three episodes with the sick ending to mountain vs viper, the excellence of watchers On the wall and then the final episode and basically KL changing for good

An excellent overall season with so many great scenes and possibly the peak in terms of acting and dialogue
Most people seem to pick season 4 and it’s certainly one of the best seasons. It would probably be my second choice. However, the best dialogue happens in season 2 for me. Tyrion as the hand of the King is just simply brilliant. The interaction between him and Cersei is just sublime.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
First things first, I don't think I could ever watch this show all the way through again. It's been tarnished so much, not just due to the lack of quality in its final two seasons, but the discourse surrounding it. It's just impossible to ignore all that for me.

But to answer the question, I think the writing was at its peak in season four. The dialogue, the political machinations between the characters, and obviously The Watchers on the Wall battle in episode nine were brilliant. It was easily the best show on TV and quickly becoming the best TV show ever. Obviously that didn't happen, but still a fantastic season.

Although nice shout out for season 6, as it's probably my second favorite season simply due to the final two episodes. I think the final two episodes (The Battle of the Bastards and The Winds of Winter) are arguably the best episodes in the entire show, for me. The Battle of the Bastards was the last time I actually felt that a character was in genuine peril before season 7 and 8 came and fecked that up. And the editing, music, and tension that was built up in The Winds of Winter during the wildfire sequence is masterfully done.

Revan

Assumptionman
1 is the best, found that in rewatch (probably followed by 4, 3, 6 and 2). 6 has the best overall moments and its finale is perfection itself, the best episode in the entire show.

5 is poor for the show’s standards, but still miles better than 7 and 8 when the show makers decided to give up on any narrative which makes sense and went only for big shock moments (which in grand scheme of things make not much sense). They were still quite enjoyable though, just that they were brain dead.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Can a show really be held up as “one of the best television shows of all time” when basically half of its entire catalogue was various degrees of shite?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Can a show really be held up as “one of the best television shows of all time” when basically half of its entire catalogue was various degrees of shite?
I wouldn't go as far as to say that half the show was shite, personally. But I agree that it can't be held up as one of the best of all time due to the fact that the last two seasons were really piss poor. And not just piss poor by Game of Thrones' standard, but by any standard. I still think GoT at its best can still rival any TV show ever made. But it fails in its entirety.

padr81

Supports
Man City
1>=3>=4>2>>>6>>>>>5>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>7>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>8

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
1>=3>=4>2>>>6>>>>>5>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>7>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>8
Personally I always thought season 7 was worse than 8. I didn't mind the first episode of 8 (although I am judging by a very low standard, it still wasn't great) and I actually liked "The Bells" episode :nervous:

Sylar

Most people seem to pick season 4 and it’s certainly one of the best seasons. It would probably be my second choice. However, the best dialogue happens in season 2 for me. Tyrion as the hand of the King is just simply brilliant. The interaction between him and Cersei is just sublime.
I think the dialogue was indeed great in s2. Did this include Arya and Tywin? That was some truly excellent stuff

I think s4 had the combination of everything at its peak though. S4 trial of Tyrion was superb stuff (although goes against him in s8 in terms of wanting everybody there to die haha)

But this scene is one of my fav Tyrion scenes in terms of how subtle it is in the power struggle.

Season 1 and 5 for me. Season 5 is pretty good and has lots of twists. Stannis on his (so so stupid) march on Winterfell, Dany's problems in free cities, annoying sparrows...
Wow, not many I know that would put s5 near the top, fair play.
THough didnt s5 have Ramsay and his 20 good men crippling one of the best armies :lol:

To answer your query, id say no.

But then that wouldnt apply to GoT :)

Even if much less than half was shite, a narrative driven show can never be considered great if the landing was botched to this degree. It was a fun ride, sure, but ultimately it will be remembered more for being a cultural phenomenon of the time, similar to Lost, than the pinnacle of television along with The Sopranos, The Wire et al.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
The Red Wedding hit me like no piece of TV ever hit me before. Has to be season three for me.

Seasons 1-4 were just next level TV. Then season 5 was kinda eh. Season 6 was great but for the dorne/sandsnakes sub plot and season 7 and 8 are a monumental drop in quality.

It became a parody of itself once the showrunners realised they were pretty shit at compeleting the story.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I wouldn't consider GoT one on the very best ever shows but you could argue that first four season's and to a lesser extent the next two are up there in top 10 at least. That's 60 out of 73 episodes!

Also, as a TV show we'd never seen the likes of it before in terms of spectacle and budget and it really paved the way for the idea that tv shows can have movie-esque battles and budgets. It will also be a very long time before we get a show with such all encompassing popularity and fandom again, I'd wager.

Still, I think you could argue that season one and season four are both up there in terms of "best ever season's of tv shows" and episodes like The Red Wedding, Hardhorne and The Winds of Winter are up there with the best ever episodes of TV shows. Overall though I don't think the show had the same insanely consistent quality throughout of GOAT shows like The Sopranos, The Wire (although even the last season of that fell off the cliff a bit!), Mad Men etc.

And yeah, they really fecked up the landing, like.. really really.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I think the dialogue was indeed great in s2. Did this include Arya and Tywin? That was some truly excellent stuff

I think s4 had the combination of everything at its peak though. S4 trial of Tyrion was superb stuff (although goes against him in s8 in terms of wanting everybody there to die haha)

But this scene is one of my fav Tyrion scenes in terms of how subtle it is in the power struggle.

Wow, not many I know that would put s5 near the top, fair play.
THough didnt s5 have Ramsay and his 20 good men crippling one of the best armies :lol:

To answer your query, id say no.

But then that wouldnt apply to GoT :)
Yeah, that season ruined aura around best character in GoT for me (Stannis). Labelled as best commander in Westeros he made bad decision after bad decision in that season. (I am still hoping that in books will be different).
I liked S5 because it was spread on entire world. And lots of characters reached their peak (in one way or another). And it was last season before show went to shit with story, logic and everything.

Thanks D&D