Television Best season of Game Of Thrones?

padr81

Supports
Man City
Personally I always thought season 7 was worse than 8. I didn't mind the first episode of 8 (although I am judging by a very low standard, it still wasn't great) and I actually liked "The Bells" episode :nervous:
Most my issue with 8 is episodes 3 and the finale (the latter being probably the worst episode of tv ever made).

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
The thing which still bugs me and kills me the most is logic in last two seasons. I just can't make peace with it.
Ep1,S7. Dany comes to westeros with 20-30k dothraki raiders (100k is complete BS), 8k pro soldiers, 3 bloody fecking dragons and bunch of allies.
"So what is the plan? Lets go today in Kings Landing and finish it in a one bloody day. Sounds logical, lets do it". The end.

But nooooo. Lets instead go around and around and waste our armies around and do nothing with dragons. fecking hell. Lannisters had one army. One bloody army. Stannis nearly conquered City. Dany would done it with that force in a few hours. What a shit writing.

Worst.invasion.ever!!!

Last edited:

OleBoiii

Season 4 easily.

Season 1, 2, 3 and 6 are roughly the same level. They are good in different ways.

Season 5 is mediocre.

Season 7 is bad.

Season 8 is an absolute trainwreck.

Tibs

Don't know about season, but one of my favourite episodes is the third, of the final series. It's the episode the white walkers attack, and at the end, Arya kills the main whitewalker

Moby

Dick
Don't know about season, but one of my favourite episodes is the third, of the final series. It's the episode the white walkers attack, and at the end, Arya kills the main whitewalker
Phew! So that's what was happening after the studio went out of budget for lighting.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The Long Night. Fair play, you're in a small minority there for liking that one. Actually being able to see it was the first test.

Zen86

Yeah, that season ruined aura around best character in GoT for me (Stannis). Labelled as best commander in Westeros he made bad decision after bad decision in that season. (I am still hoping that in books will be different).
I liked S5 because it was spread on entire world. And lots of characters reached their peak (in one way or another). And it was last season before show went to shit with story, logic and everything.

Thanks D&D
I’ll be extremely pissed if they butcher Stannis’ character in the books. The way the series handled that entire storyline was a complete shambles and the point at which I really started to lose faith in the show.

Sylar

As a standalone episode it's fun to watch (albeit analysing will take a lot away from it)

Knowing the episode before and the build to it makes it bad though IMO
But it was fun watching it for the first time

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
The first four seasons are all great, very little variation in quality. Season 4 probably has the most big moments out of them. But I don’t think anything else can capture the mood and freshness of watching season 1 for the first time. Perfect season of television.

Sylar

The thing which still bugs me and kills me the most is logic in last two seasons. I just can't make piece with it.
Ep1,S7. Dany comes to westeros with 20-30k dothraki raiders (100k is complete BS), 8k pro soldiers, 3 bloody fecking dragons and bunch of allies.
"So what is the plan? Lets go today in Kings Landing and finish it in a one bloody day. Sounds logical, lets do it". The end.

But nooooo. Lets instead go around and around and waste our armies around and do nothing with dragons. fecking hell. Lannisters had one army. One bloody army. Stannis nearly conquered City. Dany would done it with that force in a few hours. What a shit writing.

Worst.invasion.ever!!!
Was tempted to put my thoughts as I agree but decided against it as there are several ways to avoid this in a storytelling situation, and I wanna mostly just remember the good parts :lol:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
2 is my favorite. It has peak Tyrion, Arya hanging out with Tywin and The Man, Blackwater, big characters like Littlefinger and Daenny aren’t useless yet, etc.

4 is probably objectively the best.

jem

Since we're in lockdown again here in Ireland, I've decided to rewatch all seasons of Game of Thrones. Whilst most of us agree season 8 was a major disappointment, let's not forget this still remains one of the best television shows of all time.

Spoiler alert !

For me season 6 is hands down the best season. It's the season where everything slowly starts to come together and where the story most capitalises on its narrative build-up, bringing storylines and characters together in satisfying, and also unexpected ways. This season has the 2 best episodes in the entire show. Battle of the Bastards and at second The Winds of Winter.

Arguably the most emotional moment in the whole series occurs in The Door.

Bran’s storyline begins to matter within the larger context of this world.

By far Jon's best season, "my watch has ended", "King in the north", and of course, the legendary: Battle of the Bastards.

Cersei completing her transformation as the mad Queen. Literally blowing up all her remaining enemies in King's landing.

Khaleesi, still as boring as ever, granted, but at least she finally sets sail !

Tyrion finding purpose again as hand of the Queen. Perhaps not his strongest season but remains a strong character.

Arya's transformation to a cold blooded assassin.

So fellow Caftards, what's your pick from the lot and why? Perhaps if the mods could add a poll, that would be great.
I actually felt season 6 was a bit overrated, especially The Battle of The Bastards - more spectacle than anything else. I think the show reached its peak in season 3 - the Jaime/Brienne angle, the Red Wedding being particular highlights. I'm currently rewatching the first season, which I think is fantastic, as the focus is more on intrigue than on explosions.

jem

The Red Wedding hit me like no piece of TV ever hit me before. Has to be season three for me.

Seasons 1-4 were just next level TV. Then season 5 was kinda eh. Season 6 was great but for the dorne/sandsnakes sub plot and season 7 and 8 are a monumental drop in quality.

It became a parody of itself once the showrunners realised they were pretty shit at compeleting the story.
I actually liked season 5 more than most - thought the story with Stannis and his daughter was gutting. I think the showrunners were in trouble once they surpassed the books. They managed to serve up some satisfying episodes in the 6th season, but even that hinted at the fan-fic nonsense that was to follow in the last two seasons.

Sylar

I thought s7 had 2 really good episodes and 1 mind boggling but a great visual episode (I was forgiving for the episode as I thought 'fine rush it as long as the end is good with a bit of skipping'

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
That D&D are amateurs is well known but what the hell was in their mind to ruin s8e3. It breaks all records in stupidity.
8 seasons of the show were leading to that battle and they ruin it with all that dark. That was awful directing. Ok, it is dark and we must have a feeling that it is dark but to make it unwatchable? Why?!

Only good in that episode, which had potential to be the best in whole show, were Arya scene at the end and Lyana Mormont's glorious charge

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Was tempted to put my thoughts as I agree but decided against it as there are several ways to avoid this in a storytelling situation, and I wanna mostly just remember the good parts :lol:
Lucky you. I am huge fan of tv show and especially books. And i just can't get over that mess in last two seasons. Plot holes, rubbish writing, not logical situations, ruining characters.....those two bloody idiots ruined it.
On the other hand, books are so great and everything is well covered. So i am hoping that last two books will give us ending which that saga deserves (IF Martin finishes the books and that is huge IF).

Btw; did you noticed in show how numbers of armies are inconsistent? Lannisters and north are loosing armies through whole show. And in every battle they lose nearly every single soldier. But in next battle they are in full strength. :nervous:
North: Rob lost a lot in first few battles. Lost the rest in red wedding. Then under Bolton they had fights against ironborns and Stannis. Then huge clash in battle of bastards. Then battle for winterfell. Then last battle against Cercei.
Lannisters have similiar story.

Are they all shitting soldiers or what?

NinjaFletch

I think this might be the first time I've seen Game of Thrones discussed since about a week after it finished without that discussion being either about how badly they ruined it, or how no one talks about it anymore.

Sylar

I think this might be the first time I've seen Game of Thrones discussed since about a week after it finished without that discussion being either about how badly they ruined it, or how no one talks about it anymore.
Well youve gone and changed that now :nervous:

.Btw; did you noticed in show how numbers of armies are inconsistent? Lannisters and north are loosing armies through whole show. And in every battle they lose nearly every single soldier. But in next battle they are in full strength. :nervous:
Dothraki being wiped out and then Dany using her Night King Powers to raise an army of Dothraki was great though

Andy_Cole

That D&D are amateurs are well known but what the hell was in their mind to ruin s8e3. It breaks all records in stupidity.
8 seasons of the show were leading to that battle and they ruin it with all that dark. That was awful directing. Ok, it is dark and we must have a feeling that it is dark but to make it unwatchable? Why?!

Only good in that episode, which had potential to be the best in whole show, were Arya scene at the end and Lyana Mormont's glorious charge
May give it a rewatch in 4K HDR and see if it makes a difference. Think sky have it now.

Andy_Cole

Can book readers feck off to the book thread please.

Only joking. The redcafe banter between book readers and show watchers was one of the best the things about the show.

caid

I think the first season was the only one that stood up well against the books. Primarily because the writing in the first book is kind of weak. I think it was a steady decline from the first season on. Thought it was well on its way to being silly fun by the end of season 4 and most of the way to being silly crap by season 6.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Personally hated that. There was no build up with Arya and the white walkers. It was Jon vs the night king, Arya vs cersei. But night king is killed by Arya, and Cersei is killed by a brick. Stupid.

Dante

Average bang
The ending was mishandled.

But everything up to that point felt like it was part of a single story told over 8 years. And a fantastic one at that.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Can a show really be held up as “one of the best television shows of all time” when basically half of its entire catalogue was various degrees of shite?
No. Its simply people who watched it religiously trying to justify why they watched it. Its like saying Sons of Anarchy was a top top television show for its first 2.5 seasons while ignoring the rest of the shit it put out after they went to Ireland.

b82REZ

Decided to rewatch after reading this thread.

Just got to the Long Night.

This scene gives me goosebumps

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Hard to tell as it is one complete story in my books. Having read most books before a I have been aware of lot of the shocking events (Ned‘s decapitation, Viper vs Mountain etc), so on the one hand the first half has the higher quality but less of a surprise effect.

Kazi

1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 5, 7, 8

Basically the more they diverged from the books, the worse it got

b82REZ

So much potential, utterly fecked off with dumb decisions and writing. :(
I got through the first 6 seasons in just over a week. It's taken me about that long to to get to S08E04. The drop off in quality is insane.

Although, "Which one of you cowards shit in my pants?" is possibly the best line in all of the show.

Sylar

Decided to rewatch after reading this thread.

Just got to the Long Night.

This scene gives me goosebumps

:lol:

It's all your lot fault for not knowing how to set your TV

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
I think season 6 six is definitely underrated... Leana Heady carried GOT from season 5.

This encapsulated what GOT was for me, and I was full on team Cersei from then on

Sylar

I think season 6 six is definitely underrated... Leana Heady carried GOT from season 5.

This encapsulated what GOT was for me, and I was full on team Cersei from then on
Shame she wasn't given much of a chance in s8
Although she stared the hell out of that window

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Shame she wasn't given much of a chance in s8
Although she stared the hell out of that window
Built up to be a true villain only to do feck all with the exception of beheading whats her face. Shame, potential was there only to be pissed away as the writers couldn't be arsed anymore.

Sylar

Built up to be a true villain only to do feck all with the exception of beheading whats her face. Shame, potential was there only to be pissed away as the writers couldn't be arsed anymore.
Well
We could replace cercei with a few other characters and the bolded would be true
Aghh