Television Best season of Game Of Thrones?

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't really agree with this. The lower budget in Season 1 mostly shows up in skipping battle scenes entirely, using dogs instead of CGI wolves and stuff like that. I don't remember there being any jarring visual shortcomings.
A lot of stuff in the Daenerys storyline doesn't look great, especially in the pilot. City outdoor scenes didn't look great either.

Sylar

Season 6 had some great episodes. S5 probably had one of the best episodes of the whole series

Raven

My thoughts also. It's basically when they deviated from the books and the storylines/characters became a bit daft.
Yeah, it lost its grittiness and unpredictability I thought. It's hard to pick a favourite from the first 4, they were all excellent.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The oberyn Vs mountain, whatever season that was... Probably my favourite.

It's all a blur to me but that scene was my biggest WTF moment and is the thing I remember the most about the show.

Sylar

The oberyn Vs mountain, whatever season that was... Probably my favourite.

It's all a blur to me but that scene was my biggest WTF moment and is the thing I remember the most about the show.
Season 4.
That season had insane moments and scenes.

Cole9

I'd probably have to go with season 4, but seasons 1-3 are all brilliant. I think seasons 5 & 6 had some great episodes and are underrated, just because of the amazing quality of the previous seasons.

arnie_ni

I watch random episodes from time to time. I think if you were to rank your favourite episodes from any TV series ever, the majority would have a few GOT in their top 5.

Some of the episodes are actual hair raising, it was the pinnacle of TV and I don't think itl be matched. Its such a shame they didn't just finish it out over 10 seasons of 10 episodes.

Edit Watching the winds of winter now.

cafecillos

Just rewatched the episode of the fight between Oberyn and The Mountain, which I originally watched before reading the books, and I don't think I've ever been more shocked by a TV plot point than when Oberyn has his skull smashed in. I hated the outcome as in I was so invested in Oberyn winning that shit, and it was so fecking graphic too. Great TV, to be fair.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Just rewatched the episode of the fight between Oberyn and The Mountain, which I originally watched before reading the books, and I don't think I've ever been more shocked by a TV plot point than when Oberyn has his skull smashed in. I hated the outcome as in I was so invested in Oberyn winning that shit, and it was so fecking graphic too. Great TV, to be fair.
I’ve heard people argue the opposite which is fair enough, but one of the changes I really liked from the book to the show was how they altered Oberyn becoming Tyrion’s champion. In the books he publicly demands a trial by combat knowing Oberyn will be his champion, whereas I enjoyed in the show he makes the demand as a Hail Mary, we see him losing hope as the visitors to the cell go one by one, resulting in him almost resigning himself to his fate. And then it culminates in that fantastic final scene with Tyrion and Oberyn.

Simbo

I’ve heard people argue the opposite which is fair enough, but one of the changes I really liked from the book to the show was how they altered Oberyn becoming Tyrion’s champion. In the books he publicly demands a trial by combat knowing Oberyn will be his champion, whereas I enjoyed in the show he makes the demand as a Hail Mary, we see him losing hope as the visitors to the cell go one by one, resulting in him almost resigning himself to his fate. And then it culminates in that fantastic final scene with Tyrion and Oberyn.
One of the best scenes of the show.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
1 through 4 was brilliant throughout. 5 and 6 had plenty of great stuff, but started to falter. 7 became a bit dumb and season 8 was a fecking shambles.

7 is redeemed by this scene alone

cafecillos

Finishing season 5 in my rewatch. The cracks are starting to appear more conspicuously than I remembered. There still are some very interesting elements of world building, in my view, like the faceless god stuff, the ever-present threat of the army of the dead, the struggles of Danaerys to be the ruler she wants to be, or the religious fanatics taking over King's Landing, but clumsiness is starting to affect the finer details in those and several other subplots (not only the Dorne parts, which are horrendous indeed, but also the Sansa-Littlefinger-Boltons stuff for example), and that, together with the knowledge we have now that most of all that will have little to no pay-off, if not downright mockery from the people running it, is making me seriously wonder why I bothered in the first place. I will definitely skip seasons 7 and 8 at least.

AlPistacho

Season 4 stood out for me. Wasn’t season 6 when GoT started going downhill? Been a while since I’ve seen it but that’s what I recall.
I think 5 is when they stopped using source material, or ran out of source material. So the dialogue took a noticeable downturn.

Season 6 had arguably the best finale, with best opening 20 minutes of any TV show. So that might make people remember it much more favourably than then the season in its entirety deserves.

But I’ll say
1, 4, 6, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8.
6 had the best finale.
1-4 great dialogue

Also Danaery’s becoming a nutter was sewn in very early on so I’m not someone who objects to that, but I think the series needed another full season at least. 7 & 8 were just too rushed.

cafecillos

I've been reading the megathread of the series as I was rewatching it, and was going to bump it (much more fun the the series itself) but got scared by the old thread bump warning, so I'm bumping this one instead. Two things that I found odd from that thread were the bites Eboue got for his non-stop rather unambitious wumming, and some posters who genuinely seemed to like the steaming pile of shite the series had become by sesons 6-7.

As for my rewatch, I was going to stop at season 6, which I already thought was far, far worse than I remembered, but I thought, feck it let's go all the way, look at how much all these caftards were having the first time around... and wow, it truly got awful, the scripts were just one dumb plot point after another, an absolute trope fest and an embarrassment compared to anything bar the dumbest Michael Bay blockbuster. And the saddest part is it was obvious nobody actually making the show gave a single feck anymore. D&D couldn't look more fecking bored in the post-episode explanations if they tried, and the cast felt disinterested too at best, which is understandable considering they witnessed the decline first hand and were being given utter shite to work with.

Unfortunately the books are never going to be finished, at least by Martin himself, so it's quite likely this is the only conclusion we'll get. Such a waste of tens of hours of tv and thousands of pages. Ah well, time to move on for good.

Sylar

I've been reading the megathread of the series as I was rewatching it, and was going to bump it (much more fun the the series itself) but got scared by the old thread bump warning, so I'm bumping this one instead. Two things that I found odd from that thread were the bites Eboue got for his non-stop rather unambitious wumming, and some posters who genuinely seemed to like the steaming pile of shite the series had become by sesons 6-7.

As for my rewatch, I was going to stop at season 6, which I already thought was far, far worse than I remembered, but I thought, feck it let's go all the way, look at how much all these caftards were having the first time around... and wow, it truly got awful, the scripts were just one dumb plot point after another, an absolute trope fest and an embarrassment compared to anything bar the dumbest Michael Bay blockbuster. And the saddest part is it was obvious nobody actually making the show gave a single feck anymore. D&D couldn't look more fecking bored in the post-episode explanations if they tried, and the cast felt disinterested too at best, which is understandable considering they witnessed the decline first hand and were being given utter shite to work with.

Unfortunately the books are never going to be finished, at least by Martin himself, so it's quite likely this is the only conclusion we'll get. Such a waste of tens of hours of tv and thousands of pages. Ah well, time to move on for good.
I still think somebody should animate a version of s6 and s7 that way you dont have to worry about aging actors. Just make the animation look close to them. Im sure you could even get some youtubers to write a better story as they would be more dedicated for it to make sense.

cafecillos

I wrote my previous post without having finished season 8, I still had to rewatch the finale, and now that I have I just don't even know what to say that wasn't said back then in the show thread... it was just dismayingly bad. I don't know if it's the "worst finale ever", there are so many things out there I haven't watched, but of all the mainstream series I've watched and in relative terms to the same series at its best it is certainly one of the very worst. The series had been ranging from mediocre to embarrassingly bad for a good 3 seasons at the very least by then, but nothing had prepared me for that council scene. I don't think we'll ever see anything as mind-numbingly stupid as that to end a show that had been as good as this one. The Edmure sketch in particular was just unthinkable, and plain insulting to the show itself, the source material and the viewers. And now yes, time to truly move on from this shitshow and never look back.

The series thread was great though, even after that abysmal finale there were people in there calling people who hated it snobs :lol:

Wittmann45

Just watched up to the beginning of season 6 for the first time. I think I'll likely finish season 7 but I have no interest in ever watching season 8.

It really is an incredible show - even knowing its reputation and a number the storylines and twists/shocks, it really blew me away. I think "Hardhome" was my favourite episode, but I felt really disappointed by the "Battle of the Bastards." I've heard from multiple people that it was an amazing episode, but I was underwhelmed. The visuals were amazing (including the calvary charge and John being crushed by his own army) but the battle itself was cliché, it relied on people acting irrationally to produce drama and the writing/dialogue was pretty poor (Sansa saying something like "Don't do what he wants you to do" is maybe the dumbest line in the whole show). That being said, the season 6 finale was fantastic.

cafecillos

If I had to choose the single most pathetic moment in the show (not an easy task admittedly, there were so, so many of them in its second half) it would definitely be the Ed Sheeran cameo. It was truly insulting they decided to have a mega pop star break the fourth wall, go meta or however you wanna call it ("it's a new one"), I simply can't get over how fecking awful that was :lol:

Sylar

If I had to choose the single most pathetic moment in the show (not an easy task admittedly, there were so, so many of them in its second half) it would definitely be the Ed Sheeran cameo. It was truly insulting they decided to have a mega pop star break the fourth wall, go meta or however you wanna call it ("it's a new one"), I simply can't get over how fecking awful that was :lol:
And they zoomed in on his big massive head too