Music Best Solo Artist in Pop Music History

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So I was just down with the virus and decided to watch a film to distract my mind instead of staring at walls and thermometers all day and put on "RocketMan". Now I've always loved Elton John's music growing up. I got into it late and I remember going back through his discography and getting into everything - the rock and roll stuff, the mid way stuff and then obviously what he's now famous for the ballads. But as I was watching the film, surprised by how some of the tracks hit me emotionally.

So yeah, as the title goes, who in your view is the greatest solo artist in popular music history? As I think Elton has a great case to make, even ahead of the likes of Elvis due to his longevity even though he's not as iconic and groundbreaking. And I have a feeling he's not as celebrated as he should be - maybe because the press was busy making fun of him being homosexual in the 90s?

Note I use the term popular music as I know indie music and the like is almost an entirely different genre of sorts. For example I'd say Fiona Apple and Joanna Newsom are two of my favourite 5 artists but they wouldn't count for this.

Also I keep forgetting he did Tiny Dancer. What a fricking song.

Edit : Dylan comes to mind but I don't know if he counts as a pop artists. He's sort of everything isn't he? Half the inside artists take after him. Genius but not counting him.

Dante

Average bang
Stevie Wonder would be right up there for me. I guess it would depend on the day you ask me.

InfiniteBoredom

‘Best’ carries a certain degree of subjectivity. The most successful solo artist thus far is MJ, by most objective measures. Although I’d say that is partially down to the time he lived in, with a nascent globalization of the music industry. Someone like Elvis would probably have been just as successful in the same conditions.

hungrywing

‘Best’ carries a certain degree of subjectivity. The most successful solo artist thus far is MJ, by most objective measures. Although I’d say that is partially down to the time he lived in, with a nascent globalization of the music industry. Someone like Elvis would probably have been just as successful in the same conditions.
How would you personally break that down?

InfiniteBoredom

How would you personally break that down?
Sales, mostly (although has to take into consideration the size of the market). Number of award wins, influence of subsequent generation of artists, global recognition.

By these metrics, Elvis is either better or neck to neck with MJ, bar the last category, that’s why I said he could’ve been as big or bigger if he had performed in a time when access is more readily available.

hungrywing

Sales, mostly (although has to take into consideration the size of the market). Number of award wins, influence of subsequent generation of artists, global recognition.

By these metrics, Elvis is either better or neck to neck with MJ, bar the last category, that’s why I said he could’ve been as big or bigger if he had performed in a time when access is more readily available.
Thanks. What would you think about chucking songwriting in there as well? AKA Whether or not an artist A. 'wrote' their own songs. And B. the general perceived level of those songs 'written'. ('Wrote/written' in quotes there because the absolute cream of the crop are keenly aware that it's not them writing the music.)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Absolutely. I mean in terms of quality not popularity. I was quite a fan of MJ growing up but while his flame burnt brightest in terms of appeal I don't think he had much by way of longevity (did start off as a child mind you).

Tarrou

If this was supposed to be who sold the most it would be a bit pointless wouldn’t it?

Like starting a thread on who scored the most PL goals and everyone replying ‘shearer’

Can there be anyone other than MJ? He pretty much defined pop music.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Leaving MJ out of the question for a minute as I can’t fairly judge him as I don’t like his music.

I always find these questions impossible to answer as it’s hard to quantify just how much of the work the artist does. Whilst I’d never look down on an artist for just singing someone else’s songs there’s probably cases where some frontmen or songwriters in bands could probably claim they’re more of a solo artist than some solo artists despite being in a band given how much song writing, composition etc they do.

OleBoiii

Not a huge fan or anything, but it has to be MJ.

Well, its MJ.
It gets a little harder if you take the same question but from 2005 to now.
That's because there's no one who stands out so obviously from the rest. Also, does 'rap' count as pop music?

I'd say Bruno Mars in the post 2005 era. Extremely talented, versatile, hugely popular and I've met several metal heads and old school hip hop lovers who agree that Bruno Mars is good. I don't know what he's done, but he seems to have found a niche/sound that everyone can enjoy. Kind of like MJ did, though to a much smaller degree, obviously.

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Either MJ or Prince. Prince was a one man band, consistency was probably his issue but he was incredibly talented

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I'd agree with this.
I agree.

Michael Jackson is a brilliant pop theme park but the title says music history. Putting Elvis pompadouche over Little Richard is a sick joke.

Look at the people who pioneered this shit. Bo Diddley disqualifies everyone from Buddy to Jagger and the Beatles.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I assume Bowie counts, in which case the answer is Bowie.

Deery

Dreary
Eminem..

but, I knew the OP was going to say Elton John before I even read the post.

GBBQ

has to be MJ with Madonna second

In more recent times Beyonce or Taylor Swift maybe?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Don't think it makes sense to treat it as a competition. There's no single greatest artist in pop history, and imo the answer changes depending on what aspect you look: revolutionary stylistic innovations, expressive/virtuosic musicianship, pop culture influence... So it's more about a pantheon for me.

Leo Sayer

Last edited:

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Don't think it makes sense to treat it as a competition. There's no single greatest artist in pop history, and imo the answer changes depending on what aspect you look: revolutionary stylistic innovations, expressive/virtuosic musicianship, pop culture influence... So it's more about a pantheon for me.
That's a long-winded way of saying Leo Sayer.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Now I feel like I’m going mad. How can nobody else agree with this?! Could MJ even play an instrument?
Not that I disagree that Prince is one of the greatest artists ever (he is), but it's such a narrow & elitist lens to only consider the greats as the ones who could play instruments.
Especially when you consider that your voice is also an instrument.
Plus it removes a large chunk of very talented people who had no access to instruments or coaching in their formative years because of external factors like poverty. Or you could really go into more detail about how that barrier to entry (not playing an instrument) excludes the biggest and most influential genre in the last 30 years (hip-hop) as well as the pioneering genres before it (disco, soul, r&b etc) and if we really want to get into this rabbit hole, Prince could play many instruments but how many did he excel in? Few comparatively, though that's no slight on him.

But ultimately the question in this thread is quite redundant because what I consider to be important in an artist, could be completely different to what you & everyone else considers important in an artist.
And ultimately most people will pick their favourite artists over who they deem objectively to be the best.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not that I disagree that Prince is one of the greatest artists ever (he is), but it's such a narrow & elitist lens to only consider the greats as the ones who could play instruments.
Especially when you consider that your voice is also an instrument.
Plus it removes a large chunk of very talented people who had no access to instruments or coaching in their formative years because of external factors like poverty. Or you could really go into more detail about how that barrier to entry (not playing an instrument) excludes the biggest and most influential genre in the last 30 years (hip-hop) as well as the pioneering genres before it (disco, soul, r&b etc) and if we really want to get into this rabbit hole, Prince could play many instruments but how many did he excel in? Few comparatively, though that's no slight on him.

But ultimately the question in this thread is quite redundant because what I consider to be important in an artist, could be completely different to what you & everyone else considers important in an artist.
And ultimately most people will pick their favourite artists over who they deem objectively to be the best.
Prince could do everything to an exceptional level. He was an incredible singer. He was an exceptional dancer. And he was a legitimately outstanding musician. He wasn’t just someone who dabbled in a few instruments (which is true of a lot of solo artists)

He excelled at every instrument he played. Especially the guitar. So much so that he regularly left some of the best musicians of the time completely blown away by his mastery.

I’d like to see Jacko do that!

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Prince could do everything to an exceptional level. He was an incredible singer. He was an exceptional dancer. And he was a legitimately outstanding musician. He wasn’t just someone who dabbled in a few instruments (which is true of a lot of solo artists)

He excelled at every instrument he played. Especially the guitar. So much so that he regularly left some of the best musicians of the time completely blown away by his mastery.

I’d like to see Jacko do that!
Still doesn't doesn't excuse the fact that not being able to play instruments shouldn't exclude you from being considered a great artist.