Music Best Solo Artist in Pop Music History

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Another one of those discussions where time has a huge impact. The fact that so far only 1 person has mentioned Elvis is an indicator of the time factor.
Also Best is very vague. I saw the sales factor being mentioned, MacDonalds sells an absolute shit ton of food but there is no way that could be considered Best.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Dr Bombay with Rice and Curry was a game changer.

OleBoiii

Dr Bombay with Rice and Curry was a game changer.
:lol:

I wonder if something can be so cancel-worthy that it loops around and becomes acceptable? Like how The Room is "so bad it's good".

Nothing beats this line: "Sitting on my elephant, pretty and intelligent nananana nananana"

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Prince. It’s not even close either in terms of a solo recording artist.

Though I guess the thread title is ‘Pop’ and Prince has only flirted with Pop music for periods. If it’s purely Pop music then MJ.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
A fact I never disagreed with. Although musicianship (in all its forms) will obviously be relevant in a discussion about the best musician of any genre you can think of.
Absolutely, which is why vocal ability should be high on everyone's list.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If Dylan doesn’t count then Bowie
It's so clearly Bowie to me that I don't know why anyone else is even being mentioned.

The 13-year run of 13-or-so albums from The Man Who Sold The World through to Let's Dance blows the back catalogue of anyone else that has been mentioned so far out of the water. What is the "best" in music if not who produced the best music? Subjective though that is, you're not gonna find another solo pop artist with as much acclaimed music as Bowie.

The fact that his 25th and final album was hailed as one of that decade's best too is a bonus.

Impact, influence, sales, longevity, whatever. Bowie ticks every box.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Michael. He's a superstar in pretty much every corner of the globe.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Best, probably Bowie, in terms of music alone. Then Prince.

Biggest, most influential etc? Elvis or MJ.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I have a sneaking suspicion Pogue likes Prince. Not sure why, I just get that vibe.
Ha! You know I’m not actually a fan. Not a fan of pop music in general. Just sticking up for someone who was insanely good at what he did and was mysteriously overlooked on the first page of this thread.

When Doves Cry was a banger though tbf.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Ha! You know I’m not actually a fan. Not a fan of pop music in general. Just sticking up for someone who was insanely good at what he did and was mysteriously overlooked on the first page of this thread.
No shame in being a Prince fan, he's got a great catalogue

OleBoiii

"Best" is subjective. We need a list of somewhat objective metrics: success, talent, appeal, longevity, uniqueness and maybe how well the music has aged.

MJ scores really high on all of those. It doesn't matter if you like rock, country, techno, hip hop, gospel or classic: almost everyone has at least one MJ song that they like. Young or old. Elementary school kids today all over the world will almost instantly recognise an MJ song. Could the same be said of Bowie or Prince?

MJ just defines pop music: catchy, memorable and as wide of an appeal as possible. He just happened to be extremely talented and unique on top of this, which just further strengthens his case.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Definitely. He’s objectively excellent. I’ve got pretty shitty taste in music though. I never really got the Beach Boys or Bowie either.
The Beach Boys suck. But Bowie is a legend and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
It's so clearly Bowie to me that I don't know why anyone else is even being mentioned.

The 13-year run of 13-or-so albums from The Man Who Sold The World through to Let's Dance blows the back catalogue of anyone else that has been mentioned so far out of the water. What is the "best" in music if not who produced the best music? Subjective though that is, you're not gonna find another solo pop artist with as much acclaimed music as Bowie.

The fact that his 25th and final album was hailed as one of that decade's best too is a bonus.

Impact, influence, sales, longevity, whatever. Bowie ticks every box.
He's ok. Ain't no Ludacris though...

BootsyCollins

Not a huge fan or anything, but it has to be MJ.

That's because there's no one who stands out so obviously from the rest. Also, does 'rap' count as pop music?

I'd say Bruno Mars in the post 2005 era. Extremely talented, versatile, hugely popular and I've met several metal heads and old school hip hop lovers who agree that Bruno Mars is good. I don't know what he's done, but he seems to have found a niche/sound that everyone can enjoy. Kind of like MJ did, though to a much smaller degree, obviously.
Yes Bruno is a good shout.
The Weeknd and Beyonce also probably, maybe even Taylor Swift, Rihanna and Bieber could enter the discussion.

oh, and Eminem. Em is actually probably the closest to MJ the last 20 years.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Depends how you define pop.

Bowie is head and shoulders above most mentioned here but his best work wasn't pop.

That said his pop output was also better than Prince or Michael Jackson no matter how talented they were.

Dante

Average bang
Stevie Wonder can either match or surpass every plaudit being aimed at Prince. And other dancing and fashion sense, he can do the same for Michael Jackson.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I think overall MJ is the 'best', he has the consistency over 40+ years, commercial success, awards and influence.
The shoutouts for Aretha, Stevie Wonder, Elton John and of course Prince are accurate, they are not too far behind him.

In terms of recent success - Beyonce quite easily for me, Mariah Carey, Rihanna and Taylor Swift closest behind her.

OleBoiii

I think overall MJ is the 'best', he has the consistency over 40+ years, commercial success, awards and influence.
The shoutouts for Aretha, Stevie Wonder, Elton John and of course Prince are accurate, they are not too far behind him.

In terms of recent success - Beyonce quite easily for me, Mariah Carey, Rihanna and Taylor Swift closest behind her.
From almost exclusively men to exclusively women.

HAS FEMINISM GONE TOO FAR?

has to be MJ with Madonna second

In more recent times Beyonce or Taylor Swift maybe?
It speaks to how brilliant MJ was that he essentially created a machine where artists with as little talent as those two can become global superstars.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
:lol:

I wonder if something can be so cancel-worthy that it loops around and becomes acceptable? Like how The Room is "so bad it's good".

Nothing beats this line: "Sitting on my elephant, pretty and intelligent nananana nananana"

It’s a remarkable price of art. I remember blasting it out in my room to the point where my dad threatened to take my speakers away:lol:

Parma Dewol

Remember being blown away by this as kid. Still haven't seen anything quite like it in the pop world.