Best Striker in the World

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
That would put him ahead in the future. On current evidence, Kane is clearly a better, more well-rounded player. As is Haaland for that matter.
I firmly disagree, let's leave it there as I feel like there's little point debating.

jesperjaap

Once again another nonsense take.

One might even put Lukaku at the bottom of that list and it’s not a crazy assertion.

However the notion that he is nowhere in the discussion is absurd. He’s proven now for 2 plus seasons he’s in the upper echelon of #9’s now.
I think he has to be in the discussion due to his scoring record....for me long before he came here and still now, wouldnt consider him though. I always thougth he was over rated, poor touch and he misses a lot of big chances as well that would be game changers, happened many a time for Belgium that cost them huge games

jesperjaap

Obviously looks biased but at this moment and the alst 2/3years, I would pick Ronaldo. The scorign record, variation of goals, timong of goals, scoring of crucial goals, ice cool under pressure....its above anybody else still now. If I could sign any striker would it be him, being unbiased no due to the age, I would say the same for Lewandowski as well who runs him pretty close.

Benzema for me is a strange one. To stay as the number one striker for so long at Real is an amazing feat, with the stars around him he has been not mentioend so much liek he is now he is the main man.....but he reminds me a bit of Rooney having had an excellent career, excellent team player, good scorign record etc etc.....but like Rooney at Everton, Benzema at Lyon looked liked he would go on to be the best player in the world...Zidane like as a striker.....he never has quite reached thos heights, just like |Rooney despite the records never quite reached the consitent levels of Messi and ROnaldo.....both were capable of doing so, being harsh of course as they have had superb careers but I still look at both of them and dont think they quite reached the levels of performance consistently I thought they may.

I also tink Neymar has been over looked in the discussion, though to be fair since moving to PSG he has played deeper and deeper. As for Haaland, I think he has it all and is levels at his age have been superb and he looks liked he could become the next big thing....he has everything including a superb record.....but I do think his hype is a bit high so far personally

Chief123

What’s most surprising is how many people have Benzema as THE best striker in the world. Yes he’s been fantastic, but to say he the best out of everyone in the world is a bit too much?

Halftrack

I firmly disagree, let's leave it there as I feel like there's little point debating.
That's because there are no arguments to support the notion. None.
That would be the future, you can't do that apparently!
When the question is who's the best striker in the world, it makes little sense to talk about who's the best striker in 8 months.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Hopefully at the end of the season I’ll have Lukaku in there.

Right now though, for me, it’s the following.

CR7. He’s just absolutely deadly from outside the box, inside the box, on either foot or in the air. His positioning, movement and sheer determination is frightening.

Haaland. If he has the motivation to succeed like the guy above, he will smash records.

Lewandowski - a guy always overlooked but an absolutely frightening striker and magnificent all round footballer.

Mbappe. Another who is absolutely frightening but unlike Haaland, needs to move. He needs to play in a better league and prevent stagnating in the French league. A magnificent talent with ridiculous speed. Probably a tier below the 3 above.

Benzema, Kane and Lukaku are players who are maybe an attribute away from being as good as the players above. Kane lacks the speed and hovers about the halfway line too much. He doesn’t posses the instinct CR7 does to get into the box and tries to play like a 10 too much leaving no one up front.

Lukaku can be clumsy and his touch can let him down. This has definitely improved though and he wouldn’t have been anywhere near the likes of Benzema and Kane when he was at Chelsea or Man Utd previously.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Mbappe. Another who is absolutely frightening but unlike Haaland, needs to move. He needs to play in a better league and prevent stagnating in the French league. A magnificent talent with ridiculous speed. Probably a tier below the 3 above.
Dortmund is a transition team, Haaland also needs to move.

redrobed

It’s Ronaldo and if you’ve given any other answer please stop calling yourself a Utd and Madrid fan.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
  1. Lewandowski
  2. Ronaldo
  3. Benzema
  4. Haaland
  5. Kane
  6. Lukaku
This is probably the top level tier of strikers. I still feel like Mbappe plays on the wing too much to be called a striker, but I dunno. If he's striker than toss him after Haaland as Haaland for me is better as a striker, though Mbappe a better player. Probably it for the top tier of strikers though. Weird how aside from haaland, they're all almost 30 or over 30, then you think of other starting strikers right now and you think Aguero, Cavani, Dzeko, Ibrahimovic are all still the big options .. there's such a big lack of younger strikers. You have Haaland, Lautoro, Tammy Abraham... who else?

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
What’s most surprising is how many people have Benzema as THE best striker in the world. Yes he’s been fantastic, but to say he the best out of everyone in the world is a bit too much?
Yes, he can be the best easily right now, probably only behind Messi.

Drygon

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Benzema for me is a strange one. To stay as the number one striker for so long at Real is an amazing feat, with the stars around him he has been not mentioend so much liek he is now he is the main man.....but he reminds me a bit of Rooney having had an excellent career, excellent team player, good scorign record etc etc.....but like Rooney at Everton, Benzema at Lyon looked liked he would go on to be the best player in the world...Zidane like as a striker.....he never has quite reached thos heights, just like |Rooney despite the records never quite reached the consitent levels of Messi and ROnaldo.....both were capable of doing so, being harsh of course as they have had superb careers but I still look at both of them and dont think they quite reached the levels of performance consistently I thought they may.
Benzema playing at Real Madrid for 12 years (most of them as a starter) shouldn't really come as a surprise when he's one of the best players in history. I don't see people making same kind of reasoning about how Marcelo, Modric, Ramos etc. staying as number one in their respective positions for years.

Benzema was never expected to be the best player itw at Lyon lmfao. Nobody said he was as good as Messi & Cristiano back in 07/08 & 08/09. Hell, Benzema was the least talented member of France's generation 87. The likes of Menez, Nasri & Ben Arfa were supposed to be better than Benzema.

Benzema is not an underachiever, Idk where you get that from.

Drygon

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Benzema is easily the most underrated player itw.

The insane level of disrespect he gets in this thread is ridiculous.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't think it's too much. He is absolutely brilliant and his all round game is much better than the others (barring Kane who plays for a much smaller club). Right now I'd find it hard to pick anyone of the others over him in team, other than Lewandowski.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Obviously looks biased but at this moment and the alst 2/3years, I would pick Ronaldo. The scorign record, variation of goals, timong of goals, scoring of crucial goals, ice cool under pressure....its above anybody else still now. If I could sign any striker would it be him, being unbiased no due to the age, I would say the same for Lewandowski as well who runs him pretty close.

I also tink Neymar has been over looked in the discussion, though to be fair since moving to PSG he has played deeper and deeper. As for Haaland, I think he has it all and is levels at his age have been superb and he looks liked he could become the next big thing....he has everything including a superb record.....but I do think his hype is a bit high so far personally
I don't know why everyone who was hugely talented must be compare to Messi and Ronaldo. In the past, every huge talent who didn't match Cruyff, Basten, Maradona, Pele and co were under achievers. Aguero is also under achiever? Suarez too? The yardstick makes no sense.

Benzema is one of the best attackers of this generation.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
I think he has to be in the discussion due to his scoring record....for me long before he came here and still now, wouldnt consider him though. I always thougth he was over rated, poor touch and he misses a lot of big chances as well that would be game changers, happened many a time for Belgium that cost them huge games
You know what that’s fair, and honestly a lot of that is true.

My issue is that a lot of people here some adverse to the mere suggestion that Lukaku might have improved from the player that left Man Utd.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
He's not, and yes it is absurd to rank him alongside those other names. He's nowhere near them.
You clearly don’t know much about European football. Lukaku is a near consensus elite striker now. Even if you tell me he is the last of that group, I can accept it. If you say he doesn’t deserve to be mentioned then you haven’t cared to see how much his game has progressed.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
By that logic so has Ciro Immobile.

We're talking the best strikers in the world here. Lukaku doesn't belong there.

Kane's a little unlucky not to be ranking alongside Benzema here. He's playing for a shite team in the most difficult league, he's not in the very top tier but i think he would destroy the Bundesliga or current La Liga.
Nobody puts Immobile in that upper bracket. They rightfully do it for Lukaku. It’s mostly UTD fans that refuse to accept the notion that Lukaku’s game has improved. His record and perhaps most importantly his performances by the end of this season will be most telling.

abundance

Supports
Inter
Lewandowski,
Haaland,
Benzema,
Kane,
Ronaldo,
Lukaku.

EtH

Lewa with Benzema a close second.

Really curious to see so many underrating Kane in this thread.

TwoSheds

That's because there are no arguments to support the notion. None.

When the question is who's the best striker in the world, it makes little sense to talk about who's the best striker in 8 months.
Ok who's got the most goals in the Prem right now then?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Ok who's got the most goals in the Prem right now then?
Michail Antonio and Bruno Fernandes. Neither is in the discussion for best striker...

And even if one of the candidates here would lead that stat it would not prove anything, as most ahree thst the best striker currently does not play in the PL.

TwoSheds

Michail Antonio and Bruno Fernandes. Neither is in the discussion for best striker...

And even if one of the candidates here would lead that stat it would not prove anything, as most ahree thst the best striker currently does not play in the PL.
Ok firstly my apologies, I didn't realise we were being pedantic, the question should have been who's got more goals in the Prem right now, not most. Secondly, I didn't make the rules of this stupid game, you'll have to ask the other guy.

troylocker

...ok. I guess I'll just do the numbers then. I'll do the last 2 seasons (maybe most relevant):

Lukaku
Club:
52 non-penalty goals (15 penalties) and 16 assists in 8024 minutes.
154 minutes per non-penalty goal (120 minutes per goal)
118 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (97 minutes per G/A)
National team:
15 non-penalty goals (4 penalties) and 6 assists in 1597 minutes.
106 minutes per non-penalty goal (84 minutes per goal)
76 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (64 minutes per G/A)
Club and NT added up:
67 non-penalty goals (19 penalties) and 22 assists in 9621 minutes.
144 minutes per non-penalty goal (112 minutes per goal)
108 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (89 minutes per G/A)

Kane

Club:
49 non-penalty goals (10 penalties) and 19 assists in 7292 minutes.
149 minutes per non-penalty goal (124 minutes per goal)
107 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (93 minutes per G/A)
National team:
14 non-penalty goals (5 penalties) and 7 assists in 2039 minutes.
146 minutes per non-penalty goal (107 minutes per goal)
97 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (78 minutes per G/A)
Club and NT added up:
63 non-penalty goals (15 penalties) and 26 assists in 9331 minutes.
148 minutes per non-penalty goal (120 minutes per goal)
105 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (90 minutes per G/A)

Benzema

Club:
55 non-penalty goals (7 penalties) and 24 assists in 8224 minutes.
150 minutes per non-penalty goal (133 minutes per goal)
104 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (96 minutes per G/A)
National team:
3 non-penalty goals (1 penalties) and 1 assists in 670 minutes.
223 minutes per non-penalty goal (168 minutes per goal)
168 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (134 minutes per G/A)
Club and NT added up:
58 non-penalty goals (8 penalties) and 25 assists in 8894 minutes.
153 minutes per non-penalty goal (135 minutes per goal)
107 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (98 minutes per G/A)

Ronaldo

Club:
52 non-penalty goals (23 penalties) and 11 assists in 7952 minutes.
153 minutes per non-penalty goal (106 minutes per goal)
126 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (92 minutes per G/A)
National team:
17 non-penalty goals (6 penalties) and 2 assists in 1873 minutes.
110 minutes per non-penalty goal (81 minutes per goal)
99 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (75 minutes per G/A)
Club and NT added up:
69 non-penalty goals (29 penalties) and 13 assists in 9825 minutes.
142 minutes per non-penalty goal (100 minutes per goal)
120 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (89 minutes per G/A)

Lenwandowski

Club:
93 non-penalty goals (18 penalties) and 19 assists in 7939 minutes.
85 minutes per non-penalty goal (72 minutes per goal)
71 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (61 minutes per G/A)
National team:
15 non-penalty goals (0 penalties) and 7 assists in 1502 minutes.
100 minutes per non-penalty goal (100 minutes per goal)
68 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (68 minutes per G/A)
Club and NT added up:
108 non-penalty goals (18 penalties) and 26 assists in 9441 minutes.
87 minutes per non-penalty goal (75 minutes per goal)
70 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (62 minutes per G/A)

Haaland

Club (not including domestic comps in Austria, only CL from Salzburg):
66 non-penalty goals (7 penalties) and 20 assists in 5741 minutes.
87 minutes per non-penalty goal (79 minutes per goal)
67 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (62 minutes per G/A)
National team:
11 non-penalty goals (1 penalties) and 1 assists in 1219 minutes.
111 minutes per non-penalty goal (101 minutes per goal)
101 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (94 minutes per G/A)
Club and NT added up:
77 non-penalty goals (8 penalties) and 21 assists in 6960 minutes.
90 minutes per non-penalty goal (82 minutes per goal)
71 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (66 minutes per G/A)

Hard to argue against Haaland and Lewandowski. They really crush the others when it comes to endproduct, and it is really an ocean of difference between them the rest. With Haaland playing for a much worse team and NT and being only 19-21 years old in this period, he would be my #1 pick among these.

Messi and Mbappe is also levels above the other 4.

E-mal

Lewandowski and I do not think it is particularly close. I also think he is the best player in the world.

I think that Ronaldo, Messi (when played as 9), Haaland, and Kane complete the top 5. Benzema, Lukaku and pick another three for top 10.
Benzema is better than everyone you just mentioned. The guy is criminally underrated!
He is the most complete striker at the moment.
He is got the best touch, scores all sorts of goals and by far more creative than anyone not called Messi on that list.

troylocker

Benzema is better than everyone you just mentioned. The guy is criminally underrated!
He is the most complete striker at the moment.
He is got the best touch, scores all sorts of goals and by far more creative than anyone not called Messi on that list.
....also worth mentioning is that our own Ronaldo is the least deadly of them, both when it comes to open play goals and assists. He is also not as efficient from the spot as Bruno and Juve went from being a mastodont in Italian football with 9 straight titles to having a hard time hitting 80 points and not winning the league with him.....
I love you Ronaldo, but we need to be there when Haalands release clause kicks in next summer.

cyberman

For me it’s still between Messi and Ronaldo. Their goal tallies are still up there with the best in their position and it’s not like you can point to the Bundesliga and say it’s harder to score in than Italy or Spain

MrEleson

....also worth mentioning is that our own Ronaldo is the least deadly of them, both when it comes to open play goals and assists. He is also not as efficient from the spot as Bruno and Juve went from being a mastodont in Italian football with 9 straight titles to having a hard time hitting 80 points and not winning the league with him.....
I love you Ronaldo, but we need to be there when Haalands release clause kicks in next summer.
Juve’s failing had zilch to do with Ronaldo. You could even argue that he was a bandaid and paper over the cracks for them for these last 3 years.

That club has been neglecting their team for far too long which is what took a toll. 6 of the players in Juve’s starting XI that Ronaldo played with in his 1st year are now either retired or playing in the MLS or turkey. That alone is very telling of the lack of investments they’ve made in their team. It’s actually impressive Ronaldo managed to get the numbers he did there and I highly doubt any of the strikers you believe are superior to him would have bettered his numbers if they were the ones playing for Juve these last 3 years.

TwoSheds

...ok. I guess I'll just do the numbers then. I'll do the last 2 seasons (maybe most relevant):

Lukaku
Club:
52 non-penalty goals (15 penalties) and 16 assists in 8024 minutes.
154 minutes per non-penalty goal (120 minutes per goal)
118 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (97 minutes per G/A)
National team:
15 non-penalty goals (4 penalties) and 6 assists in 1597 minutes.
106 minutes per non-penalty goal (84 minutes per goal)
76 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (64 minutes per G/A)
Club and NT added up:
67 non-penalty goals (19 penalties) and 22 assists in 9621 minutes.
144 minutes per non-penalty goal (112 minutes per goal)
108 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (89 minutes per G/A)

Kane

Club:
49 non-penalty goals (10 penalties) and 19 assists in 7292 minutes.
149 minutes per non-penalty goal (124 minutes per goal)
107 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (93 minutes per G/A)
National team:
14 non-penalty goals (5 penalties) and 7 assists in 2039 minutes.
146 minutes per non-penalty goal (107 minutes per goal)
97 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (78 minutes per G/A)
Club and NT added up:
63 non-penalty goals (15 penalties) and 26 assists in 9331 minutes.
148 minutes per non-penalty goal (120 minutes per goal)
105 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (90 minutes per G/A)

Benzema

Club:
55 non-penalty goals (7 penalties) and 24 assists in 8224 minutes.
150 minutes per non-penalty goal (133 minutes per goal)
104 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (96 minutes per G/A)
National team:
3 non-penalty goals (1 penalties) and 1 assists in 670 minutes.
223 minutes per non-penalty goal (168 minutes per goal)
168 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (134 minutes per G/A)
Club and NT added up:
58 non-penalty goals (8 penalties) and 25 assists in 8894 minutes.
153 minutes per non-penalty goal (135 minutes per goal)
107 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (98 minutes per G/A)

Ronaldo

Club:
52 non-penalty goals (23 penalties) and 11 assists in 7952 minutes.
153 minutes per non-penalty goal (106 minutes per goal)
126 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (92 minutes per G/A)
National team:
17 non-penalty goals (6 penalties) and 2 assists in 1873 minutes.
110 minutes per non-penalty goal (81 minutes per goal)
99 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (75 minutes per G/A)
Club and NT added up:
69 non-penalty goals (29 penalties) and 13 assists in 9825 minutes.
142 minutes per non-penalty goal (100 minutes per goal)
120 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (89 minutes per G/A)

Lenwandowski

Club:
93 non-penalty goals (18 penalties) and 19 assists in 7939 minutes.
85 minutes per non-penalty goal (72 minutes per goal)
71 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (61 minutes per G/A)
National team:
15 non-penalty goals (0 penalties) and 7 assists in 1502 minutes.
100 minutes per non-penalty goal (100 minutes per goal)
68 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (68 minutes per G/A)
Club and NT added up:
108 non-penalty goals (18 penalties) and 26 assists in 9441 minutes.
87 minutes per non-penalty goal (75 minutes per goal)
70 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (62 minutes per G/A)

Haaland

Club (not including domestic comps in Austria, only CL from Salzburg):
66 non-penalty goals (7 penalties) and 20 assists in 5741 minutes.
87 minutes per non-penalty goal (79 minutes per goal)
67 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (62 minutes per G/A)
National team:
11 non-penalty goals (1 penalties) and 1 assists in 1219 minutes.
111 minutes per non-penalty goal (101 minutes per goal)
101 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (94 minutes per G/A)
Club and NT added up:
77 non-penalty goals (8 penalties) and 21 assists in 6960 minutes.
90 minutes per non-penalty goal (82 minutes per goal)
71 minutes per non-penalty goal/assist (66 minutes per G/A)

Hard to argue against Haaland and Lewandowski. They really crush the others when it comes to endproduct, and it is really an ocean of difference between them the rest. With Haaland playing for a much worse team and NT and being only 19-21 years old in this period, he would be my #1 pick among these.

Messi and Mbappe is also levels above the other 4.
All this tells you is that most German teams can't defend for shit. Also why the feck are we counting assists but not penalty goals? They're strikers FFS! :lol:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Juve’s failing had zilch to do with Ronaldo. You could even argue that he was a bandaid and paper over the cracks for them for these last 3 years.

That club has been neglecting their team for far too long which is what took a toll. 6 of the players in Juve’s starting XI that Ronaldo played with in his 1st year are now either retired or playing in the MLS or turkey. That alone is very telling of the lack of investments they’ve made in their team. It’s actually impressive Ronaldo managed to get the numbers he did there and I highly doubt any of the strikers you believe are superior to him would have bettered his numbers if they were the ones playing for Juve these last 3 years.
Ronaldo's massive contract did not help their ability to invest. So I think Ronaldo's signing was indeed not improving them, but not due to his individual performances which you are absolutely right to praise.

troylocker

All this tells you is that most German teams can't defend for shit. Also why the feck are we counting assists but not penalty goals? They're strikers FFS! :lol:
Let's look at Ronaldo then. He's missed 5 out of the 34! penalties he's taken the last 2 seasons (missed 28 out of 157 in his career). Bruno has missed 1 out of the 29 he has taken in the same period (missed 3 out of 45 penalties in his career). So you can say Ronaldo misses at least 4 for every 1 Bruno misses. It's obvious that Bruno should by our man from the spot also now. That means you only get the open play goals from Ronaldo which pretty much gives you a goal every 150'ish minutes......which is far from up there with the best in the business.

The stats also includes national team and games in Europe.
Dortmund scored 75 goals in the Bundesliga last season, Juve scored 77, we scored 73......how does that translate into your equation?

If you don't count assists (which I think is a good indicator of how a striker gels in a team and contributes), but only count goals, the same 2 players stand out again. Haaland and Lewandowski are by far the most leathal goalscorers among the 6 strikers mentioned in this thread.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
For me it’s still between Messi and Ronaldo. Their goal tallies are still up there with the best in their position and it’s not like you can point to the Bundesliga and say it’s harder to score in than Italy or Spain
I never felt like Spain or Italy was hard to score at all?

Di Natale, Higuain, Immobile, Quagliarella all scored easily in Serie A.

Forlan, Falcao, Suarez all won the European Golden boot playing in Spain.

Also Lewandowski and Haaland are both outscoring the guys you mentioned in UCL so your logic is failing.

MrEleson

Ronaldo's massive contract did not help their ability to invest. So I think Ronaldo's signing was indeed not improving them, but not due to his individual performances which you are absolutely right to praise.
Since Ronaldo signed they got average players Rabiot & Ramsey in on massive wages. And couldn’t get rid of deadwood like Rugani, MDS, Bernardeschi etc who are all on big wages relative to their quality/importance. They also made bad deals like swapping Cancelo for Danilo (who was okay last season tbf). They also go De Ligt which was a good coup to be fair. So I don’t think Ronaldo’s contract was the main or only thing that held them back with investments.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Lewandowski. If lukaku win golden boot this season by beating Ronaldo,salah,Kane then definitely come into top 3 strikers in the world bracket.

Lewa,benzema and kane are current top 3 in the world. Then lukaku and Haaland finished top 5 for me.

But still won t be ranked no.1 though.Need one more year of consistency to become the world no.1.

cyberman

I never felt like Spain or Italy was hard to score at all?

Di Natale, Higuain, Immobile, Quagliarella all scored easily in Serie A.

Forlan, Falcao, Suarez all won the European Golden boot playing in Spain.

Also Lewandowski and Haaland are both outscoring the guys you mentioned in UCL so your logic is failing.
Both don’t outshine Ronaldo or Messi in CL? And thats my point, nobody can point to Lewa and say his goals are worth more because it’s in Germany so if Ronaldo and Messi are near to him strike rate wise then it’s not as clear cut as people would make you believe