Best Teams in the Premier League Era (so far)

AaronRedDevil

If you had to rank them. Who do you guys think are the top 10 best teams from the PL era?
  1. Arsenal 03/04
  2. Man United 07/08
  3. Man City 11/12
  4. Man United 98/99
  5. Chelsea 04/05
  6. Liverpool 19/20
  7. United 08/09
  8. Man City 17/18
  9. Chelsea 16/17
  10. Leicester City 15/16
Sorry for the confusion. I meant which team would be the best in terms of just how good they were the season they won the league. Not span out for 2 or 3 seasons. Just the specific season mentioned.

Last edited:

Crustanoid

Actually the two seasons after the treble we were more dominant. And the 4 out of 5 titles between 93 and 97

AaronRedDevil

OP's list going to get slaughtered..?
Where would you rank the teams is what I’m asking. This is just my opinion of who’s I think is better. Tbh I’d probably switch the 99 with the 08 team. I’m biased with the 08 team simply because I was just a too young to follow football at the time of 99.

Last edited:

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
The fact Liverpool fans think they are on top of this list gets me every time :)

MrSingh2002

Don't wanna hear it until Liverpool atleast go back to back like the others.

Deery

Dreary
Man City’s centurions were pretty special, Man Utd’s party football good too

OleBoiii

A team shouldn't be defined by a single season. I mean, it can, but it's always going to lose to a team that wins back-to-back titles and combine it with success in Europe.

United 2007-2009 is the best PL side ever. I could elaborate, but it's late now...

Scholesgoals

A team shouldn't be defined by a single season. I mean, it can, but it's always going to lose to a team that wins back-to-back titles and combine it with success in Europe.

United 2007-2009 is the best PL side ever. I could elaborate, but it's late now...
I think I agree. After that it is probably city last year with 100 points with Chelsea 04 and this year's Liverpool and arsenal in 03 in joint third.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
  1. Man United 2006-09 (double, Ronaldo)
  2. Man United 1998-2001 (treble)
  3. Liverpool 2018-2020 (CL finalists, CL winners, PL winners, points totals, possibly invincible)
  4. Man City 2017-2019 (centurians)
  5. Arsenal 2003-04 (invincibles)
  6. Chelsea 2004-06 (Mourinho, 15 goals against all season)
  7. Man United 1993-94 (Cantona, can include probably a few other of those first few seasons in with this one)
  8. Arsenal 1997-98
  9. Chelsea 2009/10
  10. Man City 2013/14
Big gap, then the following all on the same level basically:
  • Man City 11/12
  • United 12/13
  • Leicester 2015/16
  • the rest
Liverpool's current side if they win back to back CL's this year while winning the league then that would put them top (after taking it all into account), though hopefully Atletico knocks them out so we can put those worries to bed... When you're looking for the very best, every bit counts, and it has to come down to things like sustaining success, winning on multiple levels within the same season, etc. On an individual talent level, maybe City's are the most talented, but they didn't do shit in Europe so that means they have to be behind our teams, and Liverpools now as they won the CL last year and league this year.

Last edited:

cyril C

Define Best. If top EPL points is the guide then obvious. If best achievement then Triple Crown means nothing to you? Most of all, how many teams can win CL + EPL double? Unless you meant winning FA is most important of all?

Beside, how can you define Liverpool 19/20 season, is it end yet? Because even if you put EPL points as goal then it is only 50-50 that Liverpool can beat City best record.

Okey

Erm...our 3 in a row league winning team that got to 3 champions league finals, winning one, can't possibly have any competition can it? Unless it's wrong to view that as 'a team'.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
  3. Liverpool 2018-2020 (CL finalists, CL winners, PL winners, points totals, possibly invincible)
  7. Man United 1993-94 (Cantona, can include probably a few other of those first few seasons in with this one)
  8. Arsenal 1997-98
  9. Chelsea 2009/10
  10. Man City 2013/14
  • Man City 11/12
  • United 12/13
  • Leicester 2015/16
  • the rest
For such a subjective thread, this is a pretty good list, I agree with all of it except I would swap the top 2, might be my age, but winning the treble was an exceptional achievement.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
For such a subjective thread, this is a pretty good list, I agree with all of it except I would swap the top 2, might be my age, but winning the treble was an exceptional achievement.
Fair. Only thing that separates them for me is Ronaldo being the best player of them all, while we also had a better back 5 in the 2006-09 team. Midfield better in 99 though. Plus I'm forever bitter about that Portsmouth FA cup game, dominated, clear pens not called etc while they get one counter and get a pen to win. And it being in the FA cup, can look past it. But it's tight.

Inter Yer Nan

Obviously our 1998-2001 or 2006-2009 teams are the only logical answers. Only teams do do three-peats AND win champions league also each side won a domestic cup during those periods.

No brainer.

The best of the rest I’d say Mourinhos first Chelsea side or Arsenal 2002-2004. Chelsea even post Mourinho probably would have cleaned up but for us.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I don't know why so many put Mourinho's Chelsea below the Invincibles.

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
I don't know why so many put Mourinho's Chelsea below the Invincibles.
I’m not defending the choice but possible reasons could be:
  1. Side assembled with oil money.
  2. Invincibles side’s achievement hasn’t been repeated yet.
  3. Points record has been broken.
  4. That Chelsea got five points more but didn’t win a European trophy. (Edit: clarifying time say that a European trophy would’ve definitely elevated that Chelsea side for many)
  5. Mourinho.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I’m not defending the choice but possible reasons could be:
  1. Side assembled with oil money.
  2. Invincibles side’s achievement hasn’t been repeated yet.
  3. Points record has been broken.
  4. That Chelsea got five points more but didn’t win a European trophy. (Edit: clarifying time say that a European trophy would’ve definitely elevated that Chelsea side for many)
  5. Mourinho.
What does the 1, 4 & 5 have to do with the Arsenal comparison? Never was a fan of the unbeaten achievement in comparison with teams that had won more points — the goal is to get the most points, not the least defeats (especially considering your results outside of the Premier League). It's a fun bit of trivia, but hardly something that should significantly elevate the status of the side. Like saying that van Dijk was the best defender in the world (which he was) because no one had dribbled past him for a year.

JohnnyKills

Agreed.

If this was a game of poker, you'd say a league and a CL beats a simple league, no matter how well it's won.

JohnnyKills

8. Arsenal 1997-98
  9. Chelsea 2009/10
  10. Man City 2013/14
  • Man City 11/12
  • United 12/13
  • Leicester 2015/16
  • the rest
Liverpool's current side if they win back to back CL's this year while winning the league then that would put them top (after taking it all into account), though hopefully Atletico knocks them out so we can put those worries to bed... When you're looking for the very best, every bit counts, and it has to come down to things like sustaining success, winning on multiple levels within the same season, etc. On an individual talent level, maybe City's are the most talented, but they didn't do shit in Europe so that means they have to be behind our teams, and Liverpools now as they won the CL last year and league this year.
Agree with pretty much all of that. Good post

cyril C

Result is recorded per season, so you are what you are at the end of a particular season. If you can't win more than 1 trophy per season which means your squad is not good enough. How many people remember a team which is #2 in CL and #2 in EPL?

OleBoiii

Result is recorded per season, so you are what you are at the end of a particular season. If you can't win more than 1 trophy per season which means your squad is not good enough. How many people remember a team which is #2 in CL and #2 in EPL?
OP didn't ask for the best season. He asked for the best team.

A great team typically lasts around 3 seasons. After this, there will generally have been so many changes to the starting XI that's is effectively a different team. At least that's what Fergie used to say...

cyril C

OP didn't ask for the best season. He asked for the best team.

A great team typically lasts around 3 seasons. After this, there will generally have been so many changes to the starting XI that's is effectively a different team. At least that's what Fergie used to say...
OK I would accept a 3 year window. The list should clearly indicate what has each team achieved during their 3-year window, which you will find the United team of 99 winning EPL 99-01 3 year in a row, plus FA and CL in 99. Beat these and tell me which is better

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I will never understand why some people can't stick to single seasons when doing these rankings. Yes when it comes to looking at dynasties, United comes on top. Boring. Yes. We know. Thank God.

It gets interesting when in a 16 bracket you're comparing Leicester's win to Blackburn's win.

Thepinhead

For me when we talk about a team it is not just the first 11. It is everyone from the owner to the tea lady and by that default the treble winning team in 99 wins it for me. The whole squad was great. You could put anyone from the squad on the field and they would have an impact in the game. Physios, coaches, everyone just seemed to gel.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
For me when we talk about a team it is not just the first 11. It is everyone from the owner to the tea lady and by that default the treble winning team in 99 wins it for me. The whole squad was great. You could put anyone from the squad on the field and they would have an impact in the game. Physios, coaches, everyone just seemed to gel.
Tell me more about the tea lady in 99, what were her stats

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Until anyone else does it, then for me the treble winning side will be number 1

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
What's the period of time used for defining a 'team'?

United 2006-2009 is regularly defined as a singular side but Tevez didn't play for Utd in 06/07 and Berbatov joined in 2008 so he wasn't part of the team in the 2 previous seasons. In other words, the team underwent some significant personnel changes.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

United 2006-2009 is regularly defined as a singular side but Tevez didn't play for Utd in 06/07 and Berbatov joined in 2008 so he wasn't part of the team in the 2 previous seasons. In other words, the team underwent some significant personnel changes.
That's why it's called best team. Many United teams were missing the likes of Vidic or Rio respectively for almost entire seasons and still used to win premierleague comfortably. The core of 10-15 players that stayed for few years is what made those teams great, IMO.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Don't wanna hear it until Liverpool atleast go back to back like the others.
To be fair to Liverpool.. they got 97 points last season and would have finished first any other year. Two consecutive CL finals, winning 1, losing the other due to a crap keeper and real taking out their main threat... I think that’s a team that’s there and doing things year after year.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I will never understand why some people can't stick to single seasons when doing these rankings. Yes when it comes to looking at dynasties, United comes on top. Boring. Yes. We know. Thank God.

It gets interesting when in a 16 bracket you're comparing Leicester's win to Blackburn's win.
Because Leicester wins every list easily then.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

VDS
Neville/Brown Ferdinand - Vidic - Evra

Ronaldo - Carrick - Scholes - Giggs

Rooney - Striker

Think there’s enough of a consistent team there to call it a team. Thats not including others who were there the entire time like Park, O’Shea, Evans and Fletcher.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Man Utd 98/99
Liverpool 18 onwards
Arsenal Invincibles
Man Utd 08
Man City 18/19
Chelsea Mourinho part 1 season 1 and 2
Man Utd 93