Best to write yesterday’s game off as irrelevant

Classical Mechanic

This will upset a lot of people on here but yesterday’s game is not any sort of indicator as to how our season will go.

Tiredness early in the season comes from a lack of ‘match fitness’ and not over playing. Palace will now be at match fitness, their three games in eight days will not have tired them out, rather it will have got them where they need to be fitness wise.

We are behind on fitness and paid for it yesterday.

Its not an ‘excuse’. Covid-19 has messed up the football schedule and that has consequences.

The players were crap yesterday to a man but I don’t see any reason to start getting worried.

Member 113277

I agree to an extent. I was concerned with the apparent disorganisation on view, but agree with the match fitness aspect.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I'm not worried. I think we'll get top 4.
What frustrates me is, I don't think we will see any progress this year (I said end of last year with Ole here it will be wasted season)

What will happen though is, Liverpool and City will still stay ahead. Chelsea will leapfrog us into 3rd spot.
Arsenal, Tottenham and even Everton have made solid moves in the market, so I think yet again we will fight for that fourth spot with Arsenal and Tottenham, rather than actually making a progressive step, closing the gap

RashyForPM

Lack of fitness is not an excuse for Man United to be slapped by Crystal Palace, having precisely 1 good chance (Greenwood) aside from the goal in the process.

Give this Palace team to an unfit Man City and they’d still hammer them. In fact, I think City will beat Wolves tomorrow, a far better team than Palace.

No excuses. We were shit and players like Lindelof, TFM and James all have to go.

Irrational.

But it's not irrelevant though is it?

Palace at home, regardless of the circumstances should be a banker. They beat us last season too. It's unforgivable really.

City have had a similar time off to us and have a harder game away to Wolves tomorrow. I can almost guarantee fitness will not be an issue for them.

@RashyForPM beat me to my point by seconds. :lol:

Fooza

Wolves had the same amount of pre-season as us, they finished a week early in the Europa League but played last week. Yet they looked sharp and beat Sheffield United.

It's just poor planning; stop with the excuses. And if they knew how hard it'd be to get the players fit a month ago, then sign some players early to boost the team.

Classical Mechanic

Lack of fitness is not an excuse for Man United to be slapped by Crystal Palace, having precisely 1 good chance (Greenwood) aside from the goal in the process.

Give this Palace team to an unfit Man City and they’d still hammer them. In fact, I think City will beat Wolves tomorrow, a far better team than Palace.

No excuses. We were shit and players like Lindelof, TFM and James all have to go.
But it's not irrelevant though is it?

Palace at home, regardless of the circumstances should be a banker. They beat us last season too. It's unforgivable really.

City have had a similar time off to us and have a harder game away to Wolves tomorrow. I can almost guarantee fitness will not be an issue for them.

@RashyForPM beat me to my point by seconds. :lol:
Best record in the league against the top 6 away from home under Hodgson but carry on lads.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1340032

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
This will upset a lot of people on here but yesterday’s game is not any sort of indicator as to how our season will go.

Tiredness early in the season comes from a lack of ‘match fitness’ and not over playing. Palace will now be at match fitness, their three games in eight days will not have tired them out, rather it will have got them where they need to be fitness wise.

Its not an ‘excuse’. Covid-19 has messed up the football schedule and that has consequences.

The players were crap yesterday to a man but I don’t see any reason to start getting worried.
Always knew Woodward was lurking on this forum somewhere.

I agree on the fitness aspect but the problems in the team were the same ones that were there last season, nothing has changed there and with the weird schedule even if it is fitness related, we have no opportunity to address it. I said all along we should have thrown the Europa League and had a proper summer. If we dont strengthen those weak areas when everybody around us is buying we will be in for a rough season. Ole will be gone by Christmas and it will be back to square one again.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
So we started pre-season late, much much later than anyone apparently, if you read the forum. So does this mean we'll finish the season stronger than everyone?

Can't wait.

ShoePolish

I always look at last seasons result as to how I should feel, to extent, about a result this year, so it's all good. We're well on course for another top 4 scramble and 60 point season.

But to be fair, I really don't want us to scramble in transfer market now, and buy second hand targets just to fill up the roster with decent options. Play poker with Dortmund until october if you have to, just don't panic buy for fecks sake and get the main targets in.

izec

We can write the game off, but the problems won't disappear. Work has to be done here, and i don't see it.

Coxy

How do other teams magically cope with match fitness? Strange that we’re unique.

our players are good enough to beat Palace - there’s no excuse.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

palace have beaten city at city twice in the last two years.

thesheriffjw

Writing game off as irrelevent, shows utter naivety about the PL.

when title winners lose1 or 2 games all season, every gsme is essential.

utd are not going to win the league in anyones dreams this year, but putting up a better fight would be a start

Pace Abuser

I would love for someone to create a thread and tell me what Ole is trying to do tactically. You can see what other managers are doing. Their recruitment is based on q certain type of football. What is Ole doing?

edgecutter

Best record in the league against the top 6 away from home under Hodgson but carry on lads.

We just watched liverpool win the league at a canter, and somehow losing to palace at home is acceptable because they have a good away record.

Tune in next week when we fail to beat Brighton and the excuse will be "they played really well against Chelsea".

If we are to compete we have to win these games. Jose got mocked by us last week for losing to Everton, who are miles ahead of palace quality wise. But it's ok, cause you can't judge us yet.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Do we need another excuse thread? 3 effin points in the PL is not irrelevant ever. Remember we lost the league on GD. Here fortunes are decided by one point.

EwanI Ted

Totally agree. There’s not much point even discussing individual performances or team tactics or whatever when the team are clearly nowhere near match fit. It’s just not in any way a reflection of our true level. People can moan if it makes them feel better, but it’s the simple truth.

Greck

I would love for someone to create a thread and tell me what Ole is trying to do tactically. You can see what other managers are doing. Their recruitment is based on q certain type of football. What is Ole doing?
There's a bit of a dinosaurish aura about a club when systemic problems always get attributed to fitness. It's Ole's default rationale when he's not sure what went wrong

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
You’ve just come off a 14 game unbeaten run in the prem, on paper the team you have now is stronger than the one that started last season. You looked like a rusty team with no preseason, they looked like a team playing their 3rd competitive match of the season.

I can understand the frustration of losing to Palace at home and dropping the points might prove to be crucial later in the season. But I would not be worried by last nights game, if you’re playing like that by your third match if the season then I’d begin to worry a bit, but right now it’s an annoying loss but no predictor for how the rest of the season will play out.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

The game is/was relevant.
Were points and 2 goals negative now.

More concerning is the ambling disjointed clueless approach that was no different to most of our matches under Ole.
We had the ball enough. Just not a clue what to do with it.

RUCK4444

Too much common sense in that OP. :D

I’m sure the CAF will ignore it and resume its headless chicken routine.

Talk of zero progress on last season and questioning the manager again after one tumescent, asthmatic performance in our first game after a disjointed and very short break is senseless.

Most of the backlash is pent up aggression about our lack of transfer activity imo, which I can appreciate to an extent.

RashyForPM

palace have beaten city at city twice in the last two years.
I knew someone would say that, and it’s a fair point although last year was a draw, not a win for Palace. However, my point is that lack of fitness is not an excuse to lose to Palace at home, not about City. If you want another example, take Liverpool or Chelsea. These two would beat Palace even if their players and manager turned up pissed.

Might as well pack it in then, if losing to Palace at home is no fault, let alone bloody crime, for a club like Manchester United. Just let them become another Burnley at OT, where we find it impossible to win the game.

I repeat, I could not care less about our lack of fitness. I wouldn’t be angry if it was Chelsea, Liverpool or even Everton who hammered us. But no matter what, we should never be dominated by Palace at home.