Best United-team never to have played for United

lysglimt

Scout
Since we all are horribly bored - what is the best team we have had of former United-youngsters never to have appeared for United in the League.

That I can recall without really checking source: 3-5-2 - who did I forget ? Probably loads of players

Dean Henderson

Craig Cathcart
Ryan Shawcross
James Chester

Robbie Brady
Matt James
Oliver Norwood
Danny Drinkwater
Dwight McNeill

Josh King
Peter Beardsley

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Think you've pretty much named them all though players like Paul McShane, Corry Evans, Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, Ryan Tunnicliffe, Ashley Fletcher, David Fox and Kieran Lee, and even Jacob Butterfield would be useful coming from the bench!

And Mats Møller Dæhli has gone on to gain 23 full International caps for Norway if you include players that left England.

Last edited:

Josh 76

Maybe you should change it to the players that we nearly got, but didn't for some reason or another.

On top of my head.

Ronaldino
Robben
Shearer
Bale
Edgar Davids
Gascoigne
Brian Laudrop
Hazard

Tiber

Maybe you should change it to the players that we nearly got, but didn't for some reason or another.

On top of my head.

Ronaldino
Robben
Shearer
Bale
Edgar Davids
Gascoigne
Brian Laudrop
Hazard

Define nearly got? its not like any of the players had a deal signed but failed a medical. They chose to go somewhere else

Skills

Snitch
We signed Mikel and then sold him to Chelsea for 12m before he even played for us. Funded the Carrick purchase

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Lloris Karius and Dwight Gayle surely have to be in that team.

TheReligion

Abusive
@Class of 63

RE Silva

"He was nicknamed by fans "O Canhão do Brasileirão" (The Cannon of the Brazilian Championship) for his extremely potent right-foot shot. One of his shots was measured at 136 km/h (84.5 mph) during a test organized by Globo Esporte."

Roux

I remember Daniel Nardiello banging in the goal at youth level - not sure if he ever played for the first team.

berbasloth4

There was somebody else we were linked with at the time, but we were definitely looking for somebody in the 27-29 age range and Henning fit the bill.

It'll do my head in now trying to remember who it was :lol:
mark fish was linked to us for years who eventually went to Charlton

Amir

i think was a chilean boy we tried sign around that time too who went to west ham eventually
Dante Poli, we brought him on a trial. I think he played in a friendly against Inter.

In 1996 we tried to get Markus Babbel from Bayern. He wanted more money than Cantona so we said no (we weren't very good at paying players at the time...).

Class of 63

Sourness
i think was a chilean boy we tried sign around that time too who went to west ham eventually
We had the highly-rated Dante Poli over from Chile on trial circa 1997 but remember SAF saying he was shocked how short he was, he joked he was only about 5'7", which was strange because he's listed at 6'1"

He had a year in Greece, but never played in one of the major Leagues.

Class of 63

Sourness
Dante Poli, we brought him on a trial. I think he played in a friendly against Inter.

In 1996 we tried to get Markus Babbel from Bayern. He wanted more money than Cantona so we said no (we weren't very good at paying players at the time...).
There was a TV interview in English at the time where Babbel threw a proper strop saying United were messing him about and had already agreed to buy somebody else and pay them higher wages, he was nearly in tears :lol:

manutddjw

I remember we supposedly had a deal with some Brazilian club and a few players showed up as guests for one of our games. Did anything happen with that? All I really remember was reading articles here but they were poorly google translated so I remember one guys name was Leo the Baptist.

Class of 63

Sourness
I remember we supposedly had a deal with some Brazilian club and a few players showed up as guests for one of our games. Did anything happen with that? All I really remember was reading articles here but they were poorly google translated so I remember one guys name was Leo the Baptist.
That was circa 2012 and the club/academy was Desportivo Brasil, and the lads that came over: Brruno Gomes, Gladstony, Aguilar, Agnaldo, Rafael Leao(not the one at AC Milan), and Lucas Evangelista.

Pughnichi

Linked heavily with Vivien-Foe before he rocked up a few years later with City. Looked an absolute beast. RIP

Very close to signing Nadal allegedly aswell

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Had Essien, Muntari, and a couple other Ghanians on trial circa 1999. There's a story in there about wanting to sign the players and farm them out to Belgium, Royal Antwerp think it was, due to those shitty work permit rules. Most balked and Essien was soon scooped up by Bastia.

cyril C

On top of my head.

Ronaldino
Robben
Shearer
Bale
Edgar Davids
Gascoigne
Brian Laudrop
Hazard
That will be about rest of the world. WHO has not been associated with MU?

Chipper

Adulterer.
Other eligible players with decent enough careers or career highlights.

Gary Micklewhite
Shaun Goater
Fraser Digby
Mark Crossley (on loan)
David Johnson
Tony Coton (not a youth, experienced cover)
Danny Webber
David Jones
Tom Heaton
Angelo Henriquez
Frederic Veseli
Lee Grant (not a youth)

Heaton at his Burnley best would arguably be in there but not now, Crossley wouldn't be far away either.

Micklewhite is a possibility but I don't know. I remember his name from when he was playing for Derby but nothing about how good he was and had to look up his exact position. . Right-sided midfielder apparently so he'd be up against McNeill.Looks like he had 141 top-flight appearances across 6 seasons for QPR and Derby.

Last edited: