Best ways to tackle time-wasting

bazza3727

The joke is when, say, there's five minutes to go, the ref books the goalie for time wasting, points at his watch to reinforce the message and then doesn't add on the wasted time at the end!. He blows up after three added minutes. We see this quite a lot. Makes you wonder whether refs review their performances properly.

alexthelion

Soooo many teams waste time when the scoreline is in their favour.

I would love it if refs required a player staying on the ground to go off the field for treatment. This would allow the team with momentum to have one player more for the following attack.

What else could we come up with to deal with this woeful behaviour?
Have an off-field timekeeper, such as in ice hockey, clock only runs when the ball is in play.

Would probably need to reduce the length of the game to 60 minutes though.

Shnabb

Noticed how unbelievably slow today's match was. After 70 minutes I started a stop watch every time the ball went out of play.

From 70 min to 90min:
Time out of play: 7:32

2 min added time. The ref blew at 2:30. Time out of play: 1:36

From 22 minutes and 32 seconds of recorded time the ball was out of play 9 minutes and 8 seconds.

I think that the referees has caused this problem by not addressing this problem properly earlier.

Denis' cuff

Soooo many teams waste time when the scoreline is in their favour.

I would love it if refs required a player staying on the ground to go off the field for treatment. This would allow the team with momentum to have one player more for the following attack.

What else could we come up with to deal with this woeful behaviour?
yep - like they used to do. Always make the player go off the pitch. They soon recover. Scared of moving the feckers now in case a limb drops off after an opponent breathed nearby.

The situation with players going down is better.

there is less of an expectation that the ball should be kicked out, and less opponents demanding it when the other team is in possession.

unless it’s a serious injury, like a compound fracture or a head injury. We should play around the player. They do it in Rugby.

there should be zero reason otherwise to kick the ball out. It’s not the other teams problem if a player has crap - feck em. I’d expect the same attitude from opponent fans as well if our players go down.

if you want treatment, get off the pitch. If you can’t walk, a physio should be allowed to come on and take them off. Only stop it if a stretcher is needed.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Noticed how unbelievably slow today's match was. After 70 minutes I started a stop watch every time the ball went out of play.

From 70 min to 90min:
Time out of play: 7:32

2 min added time.
The ref blew at 2:30. Time out of play: 1:36

From 22 minutes and 32 seconds of recorded time the ball was out of play 9 minutes and 8 seconds.

I think that the referees has caused this problem by not addressing this problem properly earlier.
That was a small mercy to be honest.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Make it a rule that every other player has to take a knee during the stoppage. Make it a positive thing.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Our players have mastered the art of time wasting, they can manage to waste our time for 2 hours.

Seriously though, I like the clock stopping idea with a reduced game time overall.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It is incredibly frustrating when you see this as a specific tactic. Why cannot the VAR official monitor time wasting and advise the referee of how many minutes need to be added on

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Clock should be stopped for when ball isn't in play. Including the time taken before a goal kick, throw in etc.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
What about if we literally tackle time wasting.

When somebody is suspected of time wasting the ref gives a signal and you are allowed to go in 2 footed on them... see the feckers move then!

Seriously though, it’s just part of the tactical shithousery of the game these days. Its not pretty, and infuriating if your team is on the receiving end of it, but all teams do it To some extent.
In the same way that G Nev was whooping and hollering in delight at the way a palace player (Eze?) stuck his leg in front of the ball then went down to play for the free kick. He wasn’t fouled as such because there was no intent from our player, he played for it but contact was made and the ref gave it. I would have told him nice try and get up.

Its also like our three on one counter that wasn’t when the ref blew for half time. If he plays on and we scored, does he then have to allow the opposition a shooting opportunity to be fair and even handed?
If you start tinkering around the edges to correct every little infringement suddenly you’ll find we’re not actually watching football anymore.....

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It is incredibly frustrating when you see this as a specific tactic. Why cannot the VAR official monitor time wasting and advise the referee of how many minutes need to be added on
It's worse when you see how early teams do this.

I feel like I've spent about an hour of my life watching the Sheffield Utd, West Brom and Crystal Palace keepers take goal kicks against us this season.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
It's worse when you see how early teams do this.

I feel like I've spent about an hour of my life watching the Sheffield Utd, West Brom and Crystal Palace keepers take goal kicks against us this season.

Maybe if they could incorporate discofoot moves into their kicks it would be better?