Best XI now?

Schmeichel=God

Henderson
Wan-Bissaka Varane Maguire Shaw
Fred Mctominay
Greenwood Fernandes Pogba
Cavani
  • I picked Henderson as while De Gea is clearly a better shot-stopper the fact Henderson is quicker off his line is quite useful when your central defenders are more on the slow side.​
  • McFred is far from the ideal center midfield pairing, but while neither are proper DM's between them they just about give the back 4 enough cover so other teams do just walk through our midfield.​
  • Greenwood has outperformed Sancho so gets the nod on the right.​
  • Pogba has been most consistent for us on the left, his tendency to go missing from games isn't as much of an issue there. Plus having him up beside Fernandes means its harder for the opposition to completely stop our creativity by just man-marking Bruno.​
  • I picked Cavani over Ronaldo, as while Ronaldo probably just about has the edge on Cavani(though I don't think it is as bigger a gap as it was a few years back) in front of goal, Cavani all-round game especially when we are out of possession really reduces the stress on the midfield and the whole team.​
Sound reasoning.

Though I think we have to find a way to get games for the the squad and still win. Can't have Rashford Martial Sancho Ronnie being in a second choice less/ineffectual lineup.

For me Sancho might end up being more sound on the right after some games there. And ideally finding a way to not rock the boat and have Ronnie as 1st choice is necessary. With that said Sancho is historically more creative than Greenwood. I certainly agree with the Cavani better for the team than Ronnie though, except we've made the team politics bed now and must lie in it!!

Shame they're both ancient and wouldn't last together in a 2 up front partnership. I think it would be lethal. Then again that needs to be either a 442 or 352. Other than Sancho we ain't got wingers for the former and dont have sufficient quality wing backs for the latter!

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Sound reasoning.
Thank you :)
Though I think we have to find a way to get games for the the squad and still win. Can't have Rashford Martial Sancho Ronnie being in a second choice less/ineffectual lineup.
Yeah I agree, but that's an incredibly good back up attack to have, I genuinely think our attacking depth is as good as it gets in world football.
For me Sancho might end up being more sound on the right after some games there. And ideally finding a way to not rock the boat and have Ronnie as 1st choice is necessary. With that said Sancho is historically more creative than Greenwood.
I assumer long term Sancho will end up on the right, when he has adapted a bit more to the physicality and pace of the premier league, which so far unfortunately he has struggled with. But if we are talking right now, which the thread is about, you would have to pick Greenwood there as he is playing better than Sancho.
I'm guessing the plan prior to the re signing of Ronaldo was to have Sancho on the right and give Greenwood kind of platoon with Cavani and filling in on the wing as and when.
Obviously that went out the window when we brought in Ronaldo and we are now having to adapt the team around him.
I certainly agree with the Cavani better for the team than Ronnie though, except we've made the team politics bed now and must lie in it!!
Yeah I agree Ronaldo now is going to start most of the game now, because he is Ronaldo, whether we would have a more complete team without him doesn't matter. which is not a good situation to be in, but thats the decision the club made and now has to stick to it, becuase it would be a Sh*t storm other wise. But if we are going by simply what they offer on the pitch, I personally think Cavani's all round game gives him the edge over Ronaldo with this group of players.
Shame they're both ancient and wouldn't last together in a 2 up front partnership. I think it would be lethal. Then again that needs to be either a 442 or 352. Other than Sancho we ain't got wingers for the former and don't have sufficient quality wing backs for the latter!
Also think we don't have the midfield, and where would Bruno play. And you can kind of get away with Pogba as a wide attacker but a full on winger? not sure. Plus if you where going to play 2 up top would two aging players be the way to go, yes they are great aging players, but we probably would be better off pairing one of them with the pace and mobility of Greenwood. So i don't think 442 is the way to get the best out of this squad.

J.Cruyff

Supports
Barcelona & Ajax
Gea

Dalot Varane Bailly tellas

Matic

Donny. Pogba

sancho. Rashi
Cr7

in a 433

Frank Grimes

---------------De Gea--------------
Lindelof Maguire Varane
Matic
Sancho Pogba VDB Shaw
Ronaldo Cavani

Would like to see something like this for the craic.
Had the right idea here. A bit more experimental with my midfield and deploying Sancho as a wing back but The 3 central defenders and Ronaldo and Cavani as a front 2 was spot on.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Had the right idea here. A bit more experimental with my midfield and deploying Sancho as a wing back but The 3 central defenders and Ronaldo and Cavani as a front 2 was spot on.
what exactly was spot on?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I literally stated it. Read again.
You seem to be blowing your own horn about the team you suggested being our best XI based on the sole evidence of one game against a poor Spurs side

Typically one would wait before putting the bunting up