Best XI now?

KeanoMagicHat

I don’t think Greenwood can play with Ronaldo. Ronaldo has by far the fewest presses in the league. But Greenwood also has bottom 5 for pressing. Greenwood is also a shoot first, selfish type player which is fine but not with Ronaldo there. So I’d go with these are possible front 4s:

Sancho Bruno Pogba
Ronaldo

or possibly

Greenwood Bruno Rashford
Cavani

But in general I think we need to give Sancho a considered run on right wing. We haven’t had a proper right winger in years. Greenwood has been great but he plays it like a striker. He should be more considered for the striker position and as back-up right winger.

Von Mistelroum

@MvG @Ayoba - Donny VdB in your teams? That's an "on paper" thing surely? He's done nothing for us as yet...
No it’sa ‘need a midfielder who does something’ thing. We’re hardly spoilt for choice and if either of McFred did anything or we had other options then he’d not be there but he’s looking like the best of an exceptionally poor bunch right now.

Longshanks

I think the 4-3-3 we played against villareal has potential with A.W.B and Shaw in for dalot and telles.

We still have an issue in midfield though, mctom is a solid no 6, but possibly isn't good enough in the long run, freds as flaky as a puff pastry pie lid and matic doesn't have the legs.

We also can't play both pogba and bruno, they both take too many risks and give the ball away too much its why one inbelive has to make way for V.D.B who i think would offer us a better balance and more control with out taking away too much creativity and attacking threat.

The front 3 is a real quandary though I think if there all fit and firing its difficult to pick three out of 5 but its not such a bad thing and that depth may become vital as the season wears on.

I would quite like to see this:

De Gea
AWB - Varane - Maguire - Shaw
Fred - DVB
Sancho - Bruno - Pogba
Ronaldo

We will lack pace and width until Rashford returns but it would be good to see if DVB can be better on the ball and get more involved than McTominay has been doing.

Swarup

I don’t think Greenwood can play with Ronaldo. Ronaldo has by far the fewest presses in the league. But Greenwood also has bottom 5 for pressing. Greenwood is also a shoot first, selfish type player which is fine but not with Ronaldo there. So I’d go with these are possible front 4s:

Sancho Bruno Pogba
Ronaldo

or possibly

Greenwood Bruno Rashford
Cavani

But in general I think we need to give Sancho a considered run on right wing. We haven’t had a proper right winger in years. Greenwood has been great but he plays it like a striker. He should be more considered for the striker position and as back-up right winger.
Sensible post. This is exactly what I have been saying in the Sacho debate as well. Love Greenwood to bits and he has all the attributes that invites praise from Sir Alex but Ole has lost it by playing him down the right wing when we have identified a right winger and chased him over 2 years and finally he has landed.

For all the attacking prowess at the club to come to the fore in Ronaldo / Bruno / Pogba / Matrial / Rashford / Sancho / Cavani and greenwood we must a)ditch the double pivot in McFred (they have been so poor) b) surely cant be stagnant with 4-5-1.

The best I can think in a 4-5-1 is Pogba / Matic in the middle with Bruno, Sancho, Rashford behind Ronaldo. Greenwood / Cavani to compete for that No9 mins from Ronaldo. Martial to compete for mins from Rash.

Greenwood is not making big changes for Ronaldo to score.

Reactions: Sultan

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
If you want to get the most of Ronaldo's goalscoring potential and have a balanced side, you need to get some confident passes further back in the side to help progress the ball, as well as ensuring that you have some players with greater workrate and a natural inclination to feed Ronaldo further up the pitch. While Maguire and Rashford are out, I'd like to see a side more like:

AWB Lindelof Varane Shaw
McT Pogba
Sancho Bruno Lingard
Ronaldo
  • For me, Martial should be no where near the starting XI right now and Saturday really showed that, deflected goal aside.
  • Greenwood has had a good start to the season and has a bright future ahead of him, but he's not a player that has shown Sancho's level of creativity during his time at the club. Sancho's had a poor start at Manchester United, but he's going to be a big player here to get the most out of Ronaldo. His creativity metrics in the Bundesliga are far better than Martial's, Greenwood's and Rashford's in the PL/
  • We need someone with greater workrate in the final third. It is killing us right now trying to have Bruno compensate for everyone else's poor energy. Lingard has this in him. He's made such a difference in a few games recently.
  • I don't want Cavani and Ronaldo playing together too much, as I always want one of them on the pitch.
  • One of Matic and Pogba always need to be in the double pivot. We need someone confident of playing balls through the lines.
  • I think Telles has more to offer. Shaw's crossing is of quite low quality. I'd be really tempted to give him games where I am not worried about the left flank.

How long till it clicks for everyone that we can't carry Ronaldo for our energetic, press dependant game to work? Any best XI would have him on the bench.
We had an energetic, press dependent game with Greenwood and Martial frequently in the front three? It's strange that people are only now waking up to the low workrate of our forward players, but are then drawing the conclusion that Cristiano Ronaldo is the fall guy who cannot be accommodated. Yes, Cristiano Ronaldo.

Walters_19_MuFc

With Rashford back soon, I'd love to see a front three of Rashford, Ronaldo and Greenwood. Therefore, I'd want us to steer towards more of a 433, where they can have more attacking freedom.

Plenty of variations we could use in midfield but it's clear we need a top class holding midfielder.

De Gea/Henderson
Wan-Bissaka/Dalot - Varane/Bailly - Maguire/Lindelof - Shaw/Telles
Bruno/Pogba - Matic/Van de Beek - Fred/McTominay
Greenwood/Sancho - Ronaldo/Cavani - Rashford/Martial
If Pogba goes, then buy Kessie and have with Fred as the two box to box players, with Van de Beek becoming the creator. Or play Fred/McTominay as a box to box player and get a holding midfielder (possibly Brozovic as a stop gap in Jan).
Basically, just pack our midfield with energy and guile and leave that amazing front three to do the rest.

estel_manutd

De Gea
Wan-Bissaka - Varane - Maguire - Shaw
Pogba - Matic - Fred
Sancho - Ronaldo - Rashford

I'd drop Bruno to the bench unless Ole can rein him in. He plays like a false 9 and destroys the team's balance IMO.

Canagel

De Gea
Dalot Lindelof Varane Telles
Donny Matic Pogba
Sancho Cavani Martial

Champagne football galore.
Under a serious manager this line up wins the league but at least half of the fanbase will revolt at seeing most of their favourites dropped :lol:

Bwuk

De Gea
Donny Matic Pogba
Sancho Cavani Martial

Under a serious manager this line up wins the league but at least half of the fanbase will revolt at seeing most of their favourites dropped :lol:
That’s a dreadful side.

NewYorkRed

De Gea
Usual Back 4
Matic Pogba Bruno
Sancho Ronaldo Rashford

Matic doesn’t have the legs to play 90 mins but he has shown to be the only player we have who can actually at least dictate play from midfield.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
De Gea
Donny Matic Pogba
Sancho Cavani Martial

Jesus….

Red_toad

Dave
AWB
Shaw
Harry
Varane
Matic (until he breaks) as regardless of anything he’s the best fit for holding midfielder we have.
McTommy
Rashford
Sancho
Bruno
Ronaldo

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Front line: Rashford, Ronaldo, Greenwood.

Could also have Sancho on the left. Greenwood is undroppable for me.

DON’T PANIC ™

I would like to try this

DDG
AWB Var Mag Shaw
Sancho VDB Matic Rashford
CR7 Cavani

I realise I’ve left out Bruno, but I don’t think he’s been at his best recently and a rest might help. I would rotate the front two with Bruno and Greenwood or play 4 4 1 1 with the odd cameo from Pogba and Lingard until they leave.

Swap out Matic at 70 mins when he tires for whichever one of McFred is less shit at the time or Pogba if we need goals. If the two in midfield doesn’t work, then at least we’ve tried it and the VDB fans can be quietened.

wolvored

On paper:
Ronaldo/Cavani
Sancho Pogba Bruno Greenwood
Matic
Shaw Maguire Varane AWB
De Gea

This would be more practical:
Ronaldo/Cavani
Rashford Bruno Greenwood
Matic VDB
Shaw Maguire Varane AWB
De Gea

Blood Mage

De Gea
Matic - Pogba
Greenwood - Bruno - Sancho
Ronaldo​

jesperjaap

All these best elevens simply confirm....we have lots of good options for the front three, we have no viable options for the midfield.

I think currently I would start Matic and Mctominay in the double pivot.....which just shows for all the quality attackers we have, we simply havent progressed in midfield for a number of years. We have only signed Fred and VDB on what 3/4 seasons now where Herrera has left and Matic has aged. I would still start Matic over Fred who simply has too many weaknesses and I woul dstill rather Herrera pver VDB and all four of them arent a good option. And this is a summer where there was a whole ost of possible options and two excellent ones are English Rice who would have cost a lot and Bellingham who I hope there is possibly movement for next summer. Forget the possible costs too when you consider Pogba, Lingard, Martial, VDB, Bailly, Dalot are all still here amongst deadwood....they would have paid for both players.

Ole wont be here in my opinion by the end of the season, there are a few reasons, for me the main one that will cost him is his failure to address the midfield this summer

Tyrion

DE GEA

AWB -------------- VARANE ------------ MAGUIRE -------------- SHAW

McTOMINAY

BRUNO --------------- POGBA

GREENWOOD -------------- RONALDO ------------- SANCHO
This is my preference. Having two of McFred on the pitch at the same time gives me a rash.

Noc-Z

ffs
Ronaldo
Rashford Sancho
Bruno
Matic McTominay
Shaw Maguire Varana Wan Bissaka
De Gea

Shame to leave Cavani out, but Ronaldo is a pure number 9 now and he has to start. Rashford is a level below what we demand but he's the best option on the left. Martial had no drive or determination to win and Pogba isn't a winger. Sancho is the best option on the right because, again, Greenwood isn't a winger. He should be developed as a 9. To take over from Ronaldo in 2/3 years. People seem very excited about him now but he's got a long way to go in my opinion. Bruno frustrates but he's a match winner. Pogba simply isn't a good fit for us. He's failed to cement a place in a dire midfield, and quite rightly. Too lethargic for a start. Matic is the only player we have that can play CDM properly. He's past it but this is a best XI and he belongs. McT is a level or 2 below what we need but gets in on default. Donnie is an attacking midfielder, he doesn't get a look in, I'd play Lingard long before I considered Donnie. If we had a quality CDM we could maybe play Donnie and Bruno, but we don't and I've seen nothing to suggest Donnie is good enough. Fred is poor. The defence picks itself, even though AWB is quite lacking.

Chicharo

DDG
AWB, Varane, Maguire, Shaw
VDB, Pogba,
Greewood, Bruno,Rash
Ronnie

Matic cannot play more than 60-65 minutes, but play him as much as he can. Jadon should rest awhile.

Martialfc

4-4-2

With

Cavani Ronaldo
Sancho Bruno Pogba Greenwood
Shaw Maguire Varane AWB
DDG

redrobed

4-4-2

With

Cavani Ronaldo
Sancho Bruno Pogba Greenwood
Shaw Maguire Varane AWB
DDG
I agree those are our best individuals in those positions but I think we get torn apart more often than not while trying to play that tactically. Might still be better than the alternative of playing the inferior but more suitable players though.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I have wondered about a 4-2-2-2, but that would mean Pogba LCM and Bruno RCM with preferably Rashford and Sancho wide and Cavani/Ronaldo/Greenwood sharing the two spots up top. You can get them all in, but I wonder what defensive work rate Pogs and Bruno would offer, and ultimately we would end up as midfieldless as we seem to be at the moment. Other than out-scoring the opposition in not sure that would work.

100% Matic would be in.

I’d make Bruno play deeper, not as a 10. And I’d play DvB in there too.

So.

..Matic
Bruno…….DvB or Fred
Sancho……………………..Rashford
Ronaldo or Cavani​

And I’d make the naive fecks have some semblence of defensive shape even when attacking. Anyone’s legs would look like they’d gone with the rate we turn over the ball.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It's all about compatibility. The best XI players won't make the best team. Greenwood is absolutely fantastic, but I don't think he dovetails with Ronaldo particularly well. The team needs to balance experience, talent, work rate, and character. If I do a do or die match, I would pick the following:

De Gea

W-Bissaka ------------ Varane ------------ Maguire ------------ Shaw

Matic ------------ Mctominay

Sancho ------------ Bruno ------------ Rashford

Ronaldo​

Subs: Henderson, Lindelof, Telles, Fred, Pogba, Van der Beek, Greenwood, Cavani, Lingard

But to be honest, I don't necessarily believe in a best XI. It's a squad game. In various games, Pogba, Greenwood and Cavani all might be a better fit.

Martialfc

I agree those are our best individuals in those positions but I think we get torn apart more often than not while trying to play that tactically. Might still be better than the alternative of playing the inferior but more suitable players though.
How do we know it won’t work if we never try it?

Smores

De Gea
Usual back four
Fred
VDB and Bruno
Sancho. Rashford
Ronaldo

Greenwood isn't a RW for me and we don't setup as a team in a way that lets him shine there.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
442 diamond

David

AWB Verane Harry Shaw

Matic

Fred Pogba

Bruno

Ronaldo Cavanni

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
I think this is our best 11 but it requires a formation change & maybe Conte as manager (as unlikely as that's gonna happen)

First 11:

DDG

Lindelof Varane Maguire

AWB Pogba Fred Shaw

Greenwood Bruno

Ronaldo

Last edited:

Teja

The best I can think in a 4-5-1 is Pogba / Matic in the middle with Bruno, Sancho, Rashford behind Ronaldo. Greenwood / Cavani to compete for that No9 mins from Ronaldo. Martial to compete for mins from Rash.

Greenwood is not making big changes for Ronaldo to score.
I was agreeing until you bought up Rashford. Ultimately both are shoot first type players and not creators so I don't think playing one instead of the other will improve Ronaldo's output from current levels.

If anything greenwood's ability to get away from his marker and general close control in tight spaces is better than Rashford's but Rashford has superior pace on the break and is just a lot better than Greenwood off the ball. It'll just come down to who's the better player and who's having a better game on that day more than anything else.

I'd love to try Pogba + Bruno + Sancho behind Ronaldo with either McFred or Matic + VdB.

Another idea is to try Bruno as a false 9 (we've done this before) with Ronaldo coming off of the left and Greenwood from the right with McFred / Pogba in the middle.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If we want to give our one last try on build up play:

De Gea
AWB Varane Maguire Shaw
VDB Mctominay
Sancho Bruno Pogba
Ronaldo​

If we decide to give up any system or build up play, and cut out our team performance, but instead just bypass the midfield, boot it up forward and win it inside the box instead, in truly Ole fashion:

De Gea
AWB Varane Maguire Shaw
Fred Mctominay
Greenwood Bruno Rashford
Ronaldo

AgentSmith

De Gea
Pogba - Matic
Greenwood - Bruno - Sancho
Cavani​
Fred
Rashford
Ronaldo

Goalkeeper and defence picks itself.

Midfield is essentially an impossible conundrum so I’d like to see Fred and Matic rotated alongside Pogba based on the opposition (against the ‘top’ teams Pogba could also become an option off the bench to allow for more stability). Matic and Pogba seems defensively fragile but we are atm anyways without them so we might as well significantly increase our quality on the ball from deep.

Cavani’s movement and work rate is a better compliment to Bruno and Sancho than Ronaldo, who would serve (if willing) as the best possible attacking sub in the league. Cavani doesn’t have the legs to consistently play 90 minutes 2x a week so there will be ample opportunity for both to start anyways. My preference would just be Cavani for the sake of attacking cohesion.

Greenwood has made the RW slot his own and Rashford’s return will be a huge bonus, either to take Sancho’s place or to be another demon off of the bench.

Attack is the best form of defence, or at least the most entertaining :drool:

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
DDG

AWB
Varane
Maguire
Shaw

McTominay
VDB
Fernandes

Sancho
Ronaldo
Rashford

MUFC OK

We need to use Sancho on the right as he provides width, especially against park the bus teams. Arguably Greenwood is the better option against City/Liverpools as I think he has more pace on the counter. Mctom filling in for Matic when he's not fit. Likes of Cavani and Lingard are great options off the bench.

========DDG
AWB Varane Maguire Shaw
=====Matic Pogba======
Sancho Bruno Rashford
======Ronaldo

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Enjoyed this from Stephen Howson. Think he provides a good overview of a number of the dilemmas anyone trying to build teams out of this squad faces:

Strelok

DDG
AWB Varane Maguire Shaw
Fred McT
Greenwood Bruno Sancho
Cavani

When Rashford is back then Rashford in for Sancho.