Better striker for Real Madrid: Raul or Benzema?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'd still have Suarez above Benzema but they'd be my two picks from this generation of strikers. Complete footballers.

Blood Mage

Raul was a slightly above average striker who overperformed for Madrid. Benzema is levels above him.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
We really should have gotten him....
Well at least he stopped pool from winning the Champions League not once, but twice.
I thank him for his service to world football.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Raul was a slightly above average striker who overperformed for Madrid. Benzema is levels above him.
Slightly above average? He was Spain's best player in the late90s and early00s alongside Mendieta.He was close to world class for short a period of time
His individual honors also speak for themselves. 3 times in a row Uefa striker of the year, 3rd in World Player of The year award, Ballon D'or 2nd place...
He was amazing int he early 00s

NoPace

I'd still have Suarez above Benzema but they'd be my two picks from this generation of strikers. Complete footballers.
Same. There are lineups/systems where you'd take Benzema, but Suarez was so good as a lone striker for Uruguay when they were counter-attacking and so good in tight spaces dribbling for Liverpool that yeah he'd be my choice.

What about Lewandowski? Most consistent goal scorer of the 3. Again I'll cop out and say if the wingers are forward types then Benzema and Suarez above him, but if they're more old fashioned wingers I'd have Lewa first.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
I really don't think Raul was that great tbh. Legend for the club but if you put him in current RM side he will do worse than Benzema.
Benzema. Raul was overrated. If he weren't Real Madrid through and through he may not have even be bought, let alone kept at the club for such a long time.
This is the harsh reality. Raul was a good striker who was maybe great between 1999-2002. Benzema is more versatile, more consistent, has a higher scoring rate, is Madrid's highest assister and second highest goal scorer.

Needham

Raul was a total one trick pony albeit a plenopotentiary one. He was their Inzhagi. Though Benzema started out an entitled lazy cnut he later became a leader legend type of the varietal Raul could only spank off about.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I swear half the people commenting here are going off the post-Galáctico/Schalke Raúl.

Sensational player. As a striker or left forward he would walk into any side today.

If anything, surpassing Raúl is a massive credit to Benzema and one to go with his long list of honours.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I swear half the people commenting here are going off the post-Galáctico/Schalke Raúl.

Sensational player. As a striker or left forward he would walk into any side today.

If anything, surpassing Raúl is a massive credit to Benzema and one to go with his long list of honours.
He was great for Schalke, if people were talking about that period they wouldn't call him a poacher or question his technical and tactical abilities.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Went to check if my memory served me incorrectly. Scrolled about 1 time to 00.51 and instantly did an insane technical move and finish. I'm not sure Benzema pulls them off like that
That assist at 3.30 :eek: :drool:

antohan

He was great for Schalke, if people were talking about that period they wouldn't call him a poacher or question his technical and tactical abilities.
Of course he was. Class is permanent and all that, but no longer a player to be compared with Benzema, so I could understand an overreaction to the dismissive side.

youmeletsfly

Benzema is two levels above Raul, from any standpoint.

I think people get a bit too sentimental for players who played in the past.

antohan

Raúl won three Champions League titles with three different Madrid sides. Different managers, spines, teammates, etc. The only constant is Raúl, except that he shone in different roles, the ones that best served his team.

Sentimental my ass.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Trying to figure out who that is - I think it's Watford legend Jose Manuel Jurado. :lol:
Whoever it was, it's absolutely genius. If Messi did it we'd never stop seeing it.

Lyng

Tell me you never watched Raul in his prime, without telling me you never watched Raul in his prime...

Raus was a sensational player.
So is Benzema.

Idxomer

Yeah due to recency bias! You're only as good as your last season on here. There's a reason this thread wasn't made 2 or 3 seasons ago.
Yeah, because it doesn't happen often a player has a season like the one Benzema just had.

The last three seasons have taken him closer to a lot of other greats and above some others.

JPRouve

Scout
Yeah, because it doesn't happen often a player has a season like the one Benzema just had.

The last three seasons have taken him closer to a lot of other greats and above some others.
While it's fair, the problem is that too many people have the tendency to underrate players in order to praise one that they like or overrate a player in order to criticize a player they don't like. It's a bit weird when it's not needed and a frankly dumb tendency to have. Benzema has been a great player for a while but was doubted due to Ronaldo's presence and also because he used to not play in a traditional way, for a long time he was a Firmino on bronchodilators and people seemingly feel the need to right a previous wrong.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

It's not enough IMO. And we're talking about Raul here, someone who's career a lot on here have forgotten, or simply didn't witness.

fps

Benzema. Raul was incredible in the way he scored so many goals without an obvious strength. In that sense a bit like a less-analysed Muller.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Up to 2018, I'd say Raul. But what Benzema has done is 2019-2022 is a monstruous achievement; best late-career peak of all time.

My Best of 1998-2022

Casillas
Carvajal-Ramos-Hierro-R.Carlos
Casemiro-Kross
Bale-Zidane-CR
Benzema

JPRouve

Scout
Up to 2018, I'd say Raul. But what Benzema has done is 2019-2022 is a monstruous achievement; best late-career peak of all time.

My Best of 1998-2022

Casillas
Casemiro-Kross
Bale-Zidane-CR
Benzema
People have been jailed for less than that. :D

tomaldinho1

Or people have massive recency biases, you see it all the time with modern footballers players like Van Dijk have a few good seasons and people say they are the best ever etc.
Yeah more this. Be interesting what any resident Real fans think of the Raul vs Benzema debate - most people commenting on here probably never watched Raul or did when they were about 10. I'd suspect it's a lot closer than many are making out but Benzema is probably ahead albeit I do think La Liga of Benzema's peak is less competitive than Raul's though.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Benzema is such an anomaly. His late-career peak to the point where he is almost single-handedly talismanic...it's something you very rarely see, particularly in England. The fact he did it in the latter stages of the CL has given him a nice slice of the 'Football Heritage' cake.

Raul 1998ish/99 to 2003 cannot be written off. 10 goals in a CL season in those days was special, and he only came to OT and scored twice to knock us out when they won it in 2000!

He was fabulous at putting the ball in the back of the net, and his biggest quality was just that. He knew where the top and bottom corners of the goal were.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Raul was a total one trick pony albeit a plenopotentiary one. He was their Inzhagi. Though Benzema started out an entitled lazy cnut he later became a leader legend type of the varietal Raul could only spank off about.
Raul even played at cam a lot of times, he was very versatile player. He could play ss, cf or even cam. He’s not one trick pony for sure.

Red the Bear

Something less generic

My Best of 1998-2022

Casillas
Casemiro-Kross
Bale-Zidane-CR
Benzema
No luka?

The_Midfielder

My Best of 1998-2022

Casillas
Casemiro-Kross
Bale-Zidane-CR
Benzema
Suker/Zamarano/Ronaldo

RVN1991

No chance you ever saw Raul in his prime with this blasphemous post.