Better striker for Real Madrid: Raul or Benzema?

Bobski

Raul was a slightly above average striker who overperformed for Madrid. Benzema is levels above him.
I mean, c'mon the feck. Slightly above average. Honestly.

Raul is one of the most creative finishers you would ever see.

This idea that 15-20 years ago was some deep in the mists prehistoric era of football is just wild to me. Generational arrogance, Messi played in the era of Zidane who played in the era of Maradona who played in the era of Pele with massive overlap.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Benzema is two levels above Raul, from any standpoint.

I think people get a bit too sentimental for players who played in the past.
Two levels?? This is so disrespectful to Raul. Dear Lord! :houllier:

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City

This idea that 15-20 years ago was some deep in the mists prehistoric era of football is just wild to me. Generational arrogance, Messi played in the era of Zidane who played in the era of Maradona who played in the era of Pele with massive overlap.
Pele retired like 1/2 years into Maradona’s career tbf.

Although even that is crazy to me. Pele played in the 50’s, Maradona played in the 90’s, the idea their careers overlapped at all is mental.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
It’s a fair question… but anyone needing to talk shit about Raul to make Benzema look good is a child.

Raul played alongside Zidane, Ronaldo and Figo and was never anything less than their equal. He was world class. To say otherwise is ridiculous.

In a modern day side, of course Benzema is the choice on any given day. But equally, were Raul 18 years old today, he’d probably have developed into a completely different player.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
To be fair, Raul was the best Spanish footballer of his generation, followed closely by Luis Enrique.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Pele retired like 1/2 years into Maradona’s career tbf.

Although even that is crazy to me. Pele played in the 50’s, Maradona played in the 90’s, the idea their careers overlapped at all is mental.
Wasn't Pelé playing for Brazil when he was 16-17 years old and retired in his 40s? He had a very long career.

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
It’s a fair question… but anyone needing to talk shit about Raul to make Benzema look good is a child.

Raul played alongside Zidane, Ronaldo and Figo and was never anything less than their equal. He was world class. To say otherwise is ridiculous.

In a modern day side, of course Benzema is the choice on any given day. But equally, were Raul 18 years old today, he’d probably have developed into a completely different player.
My friend Raul did not play in the 50's. You can say this about Di Stefano or Pele not Raul.
Raul is as modern day player as Benzema.
L
If I have to give an opinion on Raul vs Benzema it's very difficult. Before 2018 I would have taken Raul any day of the week. After Ronaldo left Benzema has singlehandedly managed the RM offense. This is very impressive. It's difficult to chose now.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Pelé had to play that late and in america for big money because he was destitute at 30...

Pretzels81

Not Salty…

L o l, football hasn't changed that much since the early '90s.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
L o l, football hasn't changed that much since the early '90s.
I mean it has. Players are smarter than ever, because coaching has gotten significantly better. If you look at the greats even from Raul's era, their decision making was all over the place compared to what we see now. Even the likes of Zidane or Ronaldinho were at Bruno's level of decision making. And those were Zidane and Ronaldinho

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
I mean it has. Players are smarter than ever, because coaching has gotten significantly better. If you look at the greats even from Raul's era, their decision making was all over the place compared to what we see now. Even the likes of Zidane or Ronaldinho were at Bruno's level of decision making. And those were Zidane and Ronaldinho
Seriously? I think football has regressed in terms of coaching/tactics. Only Modric can compare to the likes of Nedved, Zidane, Pirlo, Xavi, or Laudrup.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Seriously? I think football has regressed in terms of coaching/tactics. Only Modric can compare to the likes of Nedved, Zidane, Pirlo, Xavi, or Laudrup.
Football has what in terms of what. Seriously???

Pirlo and Xavi played deeper, and where comparatively more unique then the others, for their roles. Nedved was a long shot merchant, Zidane and Laudrup wouldn't look that special as passers compared to a De Bruyne - not because they couldn't make the same passes but because they wouldn't - yet were really special for their eras. Players like Zidane or Laudrup were a lot more adventurous and wasteful, tried to do more by themselves because that's how football was back then. De Bruyne would look like an alien 20 years ago, like a perfect player

Pretzels81

Not Salty…

Pirlo and Xavi played deeper, and where comparatively more unique then the others, for their roles. Nedved was a long shot merchant, Zidane and Laudrup wouldn't look that special as passers compared to a De Bruyne - not because they couldn't make the same passes but because they wouldn't - yet were really special for their eras. Players like Zidane or Laudrup were a lot more adventurous and wasteful, tried to do more by themselves because that's how football was back then. De Bruyne would look like an alien 20 years ago, like a perfect player
Ffs, Ajax 95 is probably better than any UCL champion after 2013.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Relative to the era, why not. Drop Brighton in '95 and they're better than 1970 Brazil
Lol! My point is that football in the Euro 96 is basically the same compared to the Euro2021, probably better.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Lol! My point is that football in the Euro 96 is basically the same compared to the Euro2021, probably better.
In what way? Because the teams certainly are not. In absolute terms they'd get run off the pitch by teams playing at 4 times the pace while simultaneously being far better organized and consistently making better decisions

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
In what way? Because the teams certainly are not. In absolute terms they'd get run off the pitch by teams playing at 4 times the pace while simultaneously being far better organized and consistently making better decisions
Only City plays like that.

ROFLUTION

I dont recall Laudrup or Zidane being wasteful. Not like half of their stuff didnt come off. Recency bias towards De Bruyne imo.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I dont recall Laudrup or Zidane being wasteful. Not like half of their stuff didnt come off. Recency bias towards De Bruyne imo.
Oh they weren't wasteful in that era. Only in comparison to today

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Even for their era they were adventurous, I would add Di Baggio to your list.
They were about as adventurous for theie era as De Bruyne is now for example. Which in that era stood out for their good decision making. Now they'd look wasteful

JPRouve

Scout
They were about as adventurous for theie era as De Bruyne is now for example. Which in that era stood out for their good decision making. Now they'd look wasteful
But De Bruyne is a very adventurous player, at least that's how I perceive him. It's not a problem because he can make it happen but a bit like Xavi some of their attempts are a bit daft.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
But De Bruyne is a very adventurous player, at least that's how I perceive him. It's not a problem because he can make it happen but a bit like Xavi some of their attempts are a bit daft.
He is. So was Zidane. But if you take a game from Zidane and compare with one from De Bruyne, De Bruyne would stand out for being far less adventurous and making consistently better decisions. Adventurous as in trying to force stuff, or insist on dribbling when an easier pass is there, etc...

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Benz has levelled Raul’s goal tally to take 2nd in the all time list* at 323 with a stronger goal per game ratio, and is first in the all time assist list for Madrid. Honours-wise it’s pretty close too, really. Benzema’s 4 La Liga’s and 5 CL’s vs Raul’s 6 La Liga’s and 3 CL’s.

* = Ronaldo bagged 450 in 9 years, ffs. Not an amount that will toppled any time soon.

JPRouve

Scout
He is. So was Zidane. But if you take a game from Zidane and compare with one from De Bruyne, De Bruyne would stand out for being far less adventurous and making consistently better decisions. Adventurous as in trying to force stuff, or insist on dribbling when an easier pass is there, etc...
Agreed but I would still say that Zidane was extremely adventurous and was often just disrespectful, I used to not like him for that reason. It's only now that I appreciate the fact that he was having fun in a way that didn't disturb his teams.

UnrelatedPsuedo

My friend Raul did not play in the 50's. You can say this about Di Stefano or Pele not Raul.
Raul is as modern day player as Benzema.
L
If I have to give an opinion on Raul vs Benzema it's very difficult. Before 2018 I would have taken Raul any day of the week. After Ronaldo left Benzema has singlehandedly managed the RM offense. This is very impressive. It's difficult to chose now.
‘Modern’ was a descriptor for the here and now. He played a different kind of football. A good measure would be to say the ‘Modern’ game we watch now is one without ‘proper’ wingers, and no Number 10’s. Not much time has passed, but a lot has changed.

Raul would have been the worlds best False 9, for example. But the game changes. He is a modern day player, but he played a different game. Perhaps the existence of Müller proves me wrong. But Raul would be a square peg in a game full of round holes if you cut and pasted him across a decade or so.

fps

Then you can't really see the ways in which the game has changed technically and tactically and the players have become total machines. Anyway, the joy of football is that it's competitive within the players playing at the time, so there we are.

Certainly I know who I'd want at CF and it's Benzema.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Marcelo over RC? Feck no no no

No!
Carlos was one of those that was kind of underrated and overrated at the same time.

Personally, I think he was better than Ashley Cole, a player who is universally accepted as being close to perfect. Cole was better than Marcelo.

Few would take Marcelo over Carlos, but he’s still an exceptional full back.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Carlos was one of those that was kind of underrated and overrated at the same time.

Personally, I think he was better than Ashley Cole, a player who is universally accepted as being close to perfect. Cole was better than Marcelo.

Few would take Marcelo over Carlos, but he’s still an exceptional full back.
During his 96-03 peak,I only remember RC struggling v Figo, when he was a Barca player.

UnrelatedPsuedo

During his 96-03 peak,I only remember RC struggling v Figo, when he was a Barca player.
Aye, and Figo had everyone on toast at some point. The era of one on one winger vs full back battles in close to every match was so exciting. I miss it.

The cartoonish thighs & ridiculously low percentage free kicks from miles away, detracted away from how complete a player he was. Super Quick, great tackler, crossing ability, huge engine. He often owned the entire left side of the pitch in many games. Marcelo is Carlos-lite.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Aye, and Figo had everyone on toast at some point. The era of one on one winger vs full back battles in close to every match was so exciting. I miss it.

The cartoonish thighs & ridiculously low percentage free kicks from miles away, detracted away from how complete a player he was. Super Quick, great tackler, crossing ability, huge engine. He often owned the entire left side of the pitch in many games. Marcelo is Carlos-lite.
Great post.

Stacks

only just spotted this thread as I had a wee break but some of the takes are horrendous. As SAF said, Raul was the one striker from opposition that he wished he could sign every year.
‘Raul is so difficult to play against when he starts taking up the positions he did tonight,’ said Ferguson
" ‘Real Madrid have bought some great players over the last few years but, at the moment, Raul is the best in the world.

Benzema. Raul was overrated. If he weren't Real Madrid through and through he may not have even be bought, let alone kept at the club for such a long time.
You never saw him play.
I think people have a tendency to overrate Raul a bit, because he was such an elegant player and because of his legend status at Real.

Whereas before this season Benzema was probably underrated, because Ronaldo got all the attention and because his style is perhaps more efficient than pretty.
Unpopular opinion, Raul was overrated. Good player but still overrated.
overrated how? he's been Champions League top scorer 3x, Scored 25+ goals 5 seasons straight (Thierry Henry did this 5 consecutive seasons also), Uefa forward of the year 3 times (Sheva, Henry, Shearer, Ronaldo, Batistuta, Crespo, Vieri, Del Piero, Inzaghi, Yorke, Cole, Rivaldo, Kluivert, Trezeguet were all active)

Raul doesn't have a season as good as Benzema 11/12 let alone 21/22
neither does Eto'o
It took Raul 16 years to hit 323 goals, it took Benzema 12. Those players are legends in their own right.

Ronaldo did it in 6. An absolutely insane record.
Raul was deployed as an AM, Winger for a portion of his games. Benzema always played forward.

I thought Raul flattered to deceive a lot. A player with his talent should have stepped up at some point as a genuine balon d'or contender. I don't think he ever looked like that for anything more than short bursts in the first half of his career. He rode a lot on being good enough to play for real Madrid as a local lad.

He was never as good as the likes of villa and Torres at their peaks.
from 1999-2003 he was top 5 forward in the world, runners up balon d'or, 3rd world player of the year, multiple times CL top scorer, made Euro team of the tournament, scored 25+ for 5 straight seasons playing partly as a support striker.
As a footballer, it's Benzema and it's not even close.

Raul was basically a very good Spanish van Nistelrooy who was home-grown.

Benzema has basically carried Real this and last season. Raul was never even close to doing that.

I couldn't care less about the legend stuff.
you never saw him play. He was a skilful forward who could play in the hole, attacking midfield and the wing. thanks for confirming what I suspected.
Benzema by far, he is a complete player.

Raúl as much as i grew watching him at real, was just a killer and not more. He was good in a team of super stars.

Benzema played second fiddle to CR the full decade and still outsocred him.
again, clearly never saw him play.
Raul was more of a classic supporting/secondary forward in style imo, whereas Benzema was forced into that role because Ronaldo was better, yet was complete enough to perform in it. I don't think raul could have stepped up to be the leading forward in the way Benzema has done, at least not with the same effectiveness and he would have played the more withdrawn of the two had they played together. Benzema slightly more complete and Raul with more finesse, with little difference in effectiveness between both when in their prime.
Finally a good analysis
Raul was a great player and obviously one of the biggest legends they've ever had, but having both watched over the years, Benzema for me is clearly the better player with a better overall career. Raul himself had some average seasons at Real, and Benzema would probably be far ahead (already) goal-wise if it wasn't for Ronaldo. Raul has always been slightly overrated to me, though still a great player.
For a 9 season stretch Raul scored more than 20 goals in 8 of them, Benzema managed this for 7 seasons out of a 9 stretch. Why is Ronaldo a factor and Morientes/Ruud not factors in Raul's scoring accomplishments?
Benzema by miles. Raul went through about 3 seasons of being utter shite and was picked on name value alone during 2004/2006 it felt like.

That being said Raul will probably be more iconic.
Benzema had a 9 goal and 12 goal seasons too. Raul's bad run came after nearly a decade of excellence. Bit harsh that.
I'd argue that Benzema has an overall better game than Raul too.
Raul was a total one trick pony albeit a plenopotentiary one. He was their Inzhagi. Though Benzema started out an entitled lazy cnut he later became a leader legend type of the varietal Raul could only spank off about.
what was that one trick? Asking for a friend

More like people underrating Raul :houllier:

Benzema is better, but Raul was fecking phenomenal
its insane in here. I am surprised by the opinions.
Some posts here are borderline criminal :lol:
:lol:
Recency bias working in favor of Benzema.
It's not enough IMO. And we're talking about Raul here, someone who's career a lot on here have forgotten, or simply didn't witness.
FACTS