Better striker for Real Madrid: Raul or Benzema?

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
I'd take peak Suarez over Benzema.
Peak Benzema is basically this season, dragging an average Madrid side to the title and CL final. Literally leading the attack with his overall play and of course all the G+A. Whilst being incredibly clutch in the big games against far superior teams like PSG, Chelsea and City. I’m curious what peak Suarez did to be considered better?

Without taking away from him of course, but I don’t think any of the names mentioned like Suarez/Lewandowski had this level of current Benzema. People mentioning Ibra/Aguero are having a laugh, they don’t belong in this conversation at all.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Because Benzema is arguably the most complete striker in the world that he has been playing at a very high level for almost a decade. I would give the best peak to Suarez but I would give the best decade and the best performances at top level to Benzema, the fact that he outscores him in the toughest competition is the cherry on the cake. I Lewandowski above Benzema and that's it.
I disagree with almost everything you've said there but that's what it's all about.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Peak Benzema is basically this season, dragging an average Madrid side to the title and CL final. Literally leading the attack with his overall play and of course all the G+A. Whilst being incredibly clutch in the big games against far superior teams like PSG, Chelsea and City. I’m curious what peak Suarez did to be considered better?

Without taking away from him of course, but I don’t think any of the names mentioned like Suarez/Lewandowski had this level of current Benzema. People mentioning Ibra/Aguero are having a laugh, they don’t belong in this conversation at all.
So because of one season, Benzema is better than players that have scored 100-200 more career goals than him? I mean, OK.....

Regarding what peak Suarez has done, what about winning golden boots whilst competing with proper Messi and Ronaldo? Almost giving Brendan Rodgers a league title with some scintillating play that is far beyond anything Benz has done in terms of skill, dynamism and jaw dropping goals? Or leading Uruguay to a Copa triumph? It just amazes me how everyone forgets something as soon as it's 5 minutes in the past.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Benzema easily, however Raul was a great captain and as big of a legend as Benz for Madrid I think.

Anduin

Raul was a great player and obviously one of the biggest legends they've ever had, but having both watched over the years, Benzema for me is clearly the better player with a better overall career. Raul himself had some average seasons at Real, and Benzema would probably be far ahead (already) goal-wise if it wasn't for Ronaldo. Raul has always been slightly overrated to me, though still a great player.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
Raúl debuted profesionally with them, was club's captain for a while and won 3 champions league after over 30 years of not winning any. So yeah I think Raúl is going to be a bigger legend. However, Benzema is a much better player in almost all if not all aspects of the game. There is a reason why Benzema got the same goals in less years even though he played a secondary role in the CR7 era.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
So because of one season, Benzema is better than players that have scored 100-200 more career goals than him? I mean, OK.....
Aguero doesn't have more career goals than Benzema. Zlatan does, but he's also 40.

Robertd0803

Benzema by miles. Raul went through about 3 seasons of being utter shite and was picked on name value alone during 2004/2006 it felt like.

That being said Raul will probably be more iconic.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It's benzema. I think this current set of Madrid legends have far outstripped that generation
In terms of success, and generally as players? Sure.

But this generation likely doesn't happen without Raul's generation. And that carries weight

Crashoutcassius

In terms of success, and generally as players? Sure.

But this generation likely doesn't happen without Raul's generation. And that carries weight
I think in terms of success and also how they will be remembered. Once players are ten years gone people remember them more fondly. I'm thinking modric, Marcelo, Ramos, even casemiro

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What do you mean?
Cristiano, Benzema, Modric, Bale, Kroos, Casemiro, Ramos, Marcelo, Di Maria, etc, are largely better players than Zidane, Figo, post-injury Ronnie, Raul, Redondo, Makelele, Roberto Carlos, Hierro, etc

But they're not necessarily better for Real Madrid. Largely because the Raul-Zidane generation is responsible for the Cristiano-Benzema generation imo

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Aguero doesn't have more career goals than Benzema. Zlatan does, but he's also 40.
Yeah I meant Ibra, should have clarified when I quoted the post. Ibra, Lewa and Suarez all have a lot more career goals. Aguero has played less games. And Ibra may be 40 but Benz is not making up the goal difference any time soon.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Cristiano, Benzema, Modric, Bale, Kroos, Casemiro, Ramos, Marcelo, Di Maria, etc, are largely better players than Zidane, Figo, post-injury Ronnie, Raul, Redondo, Makelele, Roberto Carlos, Hierro, etc

But they're not necessarily better for Real Madrid. Largely because the Raul-Zidane generation is responsible for the Cristiano-Benzema generation imo
No they're not.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

[/QUOTE]
Benzema and Aguero have scored the same number of goals with Benzema having an extra 100 assists and that's in spite of Benzema being banned from the French NT for 6 years.
You keep making false claims.
As far as Zlatan is concerned it's funny you leave out how many goals he has scored outside of Europe's top 5 leagues or how he was playing for PSG in Ligue 1 when it was the 6th best league in Europe.

Regarding what peak Suarez has done, what about winning golden boots whilst competing with proper Messi and Ronaldo? Almost giving Brendan Rodgers a league title with some scintillating play that is far beyond anything Benz has done in terms of skill, dynamism and jaw dropping goals? Or leading Uruguay to a Copa triumph? It just amazes me how everyone forgets something as soon as it's 5 minutes in the past.
Breaking news : 10 goals in 5 games against Chelsea,City and Man City is better than statpadding against Norwich
This Real Madrid side is nothing special, they're being outplayed every game and needed their striker to score 15 goals out of 5 xG to be in the final
Benzema carried them to a league title against Suarez+Messi in 19/20 funny how you leave that out.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Benzema and Aguero have scored the same number of goals with Benzema having an extra 100 assists and that's in spite of Benzema being banned from the French NT for 6 years.
You keep making false claims.
As far as Zlatan is concerned it's funny you leave out how many goals he has scored outside of Europe's top 5 leagues or how he was playing for PSG in Ligue 1 when it was the 6th best league in Europe.

Breaking news : 10 goals in 5 games against Chelsea,City and Man City is better than statpadding against Norwich
This Real Madrid side is nothing special, they're being outplayed every game and needed their striker to score 15 goals out of 5 xG to be in the final
Benzema carried them to a league title against Suarez+Messi in 19/20 funny how you leave that out.
With all due respect, I'd rather not debate this with you because I'm sure you were the guy that tried to argue that Benzema is better than Platini and Henry. Apologies if that was not you and I'm misremembering, but if it was you, I'd suggest that you are not objective when it comes to KB so there's no point getting into it, you'll continue to claim that he's better than everyone else.

Last edited:

BalanceUnAutreJoint

With all due respect, I'd rather not debate this with you because I'm sure you were the guy that tried to argue that Benzema is better than Platini and Henry. Apologies if that was not you and I'm misremembering, but if it was you, I'd suggest that you are not objective when it comes to KB so there's no point getting into it, you'll continue to claim that he's better than everyone else.
No I never argued Benzema was above Platini in greatness. I said you can't compare football from back then to today and that the average player is so much that it'd be a pointless comparison.
I guess a LOT of French pundits/football legend are extremely biased you then because Benzema>Henry is not an unpopular take in France at all.

Also statistical analysis isn't bias. You lied about Aguero having 100 more goals, I corrected you.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No I never argued Benzema was above Platini in greatness. I said you can't compare football from back then to today and that the average player is so much that it'd be a pointless comparison.
I guess a LOT of French pundits/football legend are extremely biased you then because Benzema>Henry is not an unpopular take in France at all.

Also statistical analysis isn't bias. You lied about Aguero having 100 more goals, I corrected you.
Lacombe who is himself one of France best striker has Benzema as the best french striker of all time above Henry.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert

Didn't lie, I quoted a post without differentiating between Ibra and Aguero. Ibra does have 100+ more goals at a better rate as well. Already cleared that up.

RC89

It took Raul 16 years to hit 323 goals, it took Benzema 12. Those players are legends in their own right.

Ronaldo did it in 6. An absolutely insane record.
I'd argue that Benzema has an overall better game than Raul too.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Benzema and Suarez are on the same bracket for me...both slightly better than Raul(who was great).

Suarez has a better goal ratio in the league, but Karim destroys Suarez in the CL, at no point Suarez came close to score 15 goals in one season in CL, not even at his peak with Barca.

Plus Karim is the 3rd top scorer in the history of CL along with Lewandowski, only outperformed by goats Messi and Ronaldo.