Better than we think? Some optimism

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Do you realise the difference between last season and this season?
We will have Bruno & Van de Beek full season instead of Pereira & Lingard, Pogba won't be missing his 70% of the season, Dean will be there to provide competition for DDG & we will have Greenwood re-start version rather than Greenwood pre-covid version. So far those are the difference in the last season and this season squad. I don't know how people can't get excited.

Strelok

We will have Bruno & Van de Beek full season instead of Pereira & Lingard, Pogba won't be missing his 70% of the season, Dean will be there to provide competition for DDG & we will have Greenwood re-start version rather than Greenwood pre-covid. So far those are the difference in the last season and this season squad. I don't know how people can't get excited.
The difference is we'll play CL not EL this season.

Langers7274

Let's not forget that Martial was injured for the first two months of last season with a hamstring injury!

TrueRed79

We will have Bruno & Van de Beek full season instead of Pereira & Lingard, Pogba won't be missing his 70% of the season, Dean will be there to provide competition for DDG & we will have Greenwood re-start version rather than Greenwood pre-covid version. So far those are the difference in the last season and this season squad. I don't know how people can't get excited.
It's certainly not doom and gloom but we haven't challenged for the title in 7 years. We have clear signs of progress, anyone who denies that is a muppet. The issue we have is being happy with the status quo and not improving on the progress we have made. It's maddening that we couldn't have transfers completed and quality additions to the squad where it's obvious we need reinforcements. I'd like Sancho for example but not at the 120M quoted price, fine, move on and address other areas but it seems we are incapable of doing that. All the same i am looking forward to the new season and am sure we will get top 4.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Is that supposed to be bad?
It means last season we could play a B team in the Europa League and rotate loads, and leave players relatively fresh for the premier league. Now we'll have the champions league midweek, meaning you gotta go for it pretty much every game. More fatigue, more injuries etc, especially in a condensed season like this one.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It's certainly not doom and gloom but we haven't challenged for the title in 7 years. We have clear signs of progress, anyone who denies that is a muppet. The issue we have is being happy with the status quo and not improving on the progress we have made. It's maddening that we couldn't have transfers completed and quality additions to the squad where it's obvious we need reinforcements. I'd like Sancho for example but not at the 120M quoted price, fine, move on and address other areas but it seems we are incapable of doing that. All the same i am looking forward to the new season and am sure we will get top 4.
To challenge the title what we need is not just reinforcement. Current players need to improve and it's not rocket science for young players to improve every year.

If the targets for those other areas are also not attainable then we shouldn't go do panic buy. Personally if we can't sign Sancho, the minimum we should do is try to sign some players to improve the depth squad so we can have players from the bench that we can rely on. And this can easily be done within 3 weeks or even a week before transfer window closes.

Strelok

To challenge the title what we need is not just reinforcement. Current players need to improve and it's not rocket science for young players to improve every year.

If the targets for those other areas are also not attainable then we shouldn't go do panic buy. Personally if we can't sign Sancho, the minimum we should do is try to sign some players to improve the depth squad so we can have players from the bench that we can rely on. And this can easily be done within 3 weeks or even a week before transfer window closes.
Yeah it's not rocket science to turn Lingard and Mata into some decent players. Especially they're young surely they'll improve.

We have two quality attackers and a 18 yo. James can be useful in some matches on the left, he's useless on the right. We'd need at least another good RW so we can rotate our trio and limit the presence of Lingard, Mata, James to one per game. Two of those start a match basically mean death to our attack. Hope this is not rocket science for you.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It means last season we could play a B team in the Europa League and rotate loads, and leave players relatively fresh for the premier league. Now we'll have the champions league midweek, meaning you gotta go for it pretty much every game. More fatigue, more injuries etc, especially in a condensed season like this one.
Did we rotate though? We forced to play Maguire on Thursday night and he's not the only ones from our regular player to play on Thursday night.

If anything now that we have CL, we will play on Wednesday or Tuesday night instead of Thursday night. Extra a day or two days rest.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It remains to be seen.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Yes with our current depth in attack.

This has been discussed over and again. You can find one of those here:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/wot-no-transfers-hold-on-easy-now.456957/page-38#post-26043748
Yeah it's not rocket science to turn Lingard and Mata into some decent players. Especially they're young surely they'll improve.
Bruno replaces Pereira, VDB replaces Lingard & whoever Sancho's alternative replaces Mata. Is that supposed to be bad?

bosnian_red

Did we rotate though? We forced to play Maguire on Thursday night and he's not the only ones from our regular player to play on Thursday night.

If anything now that we have CL, we will play on Wednesday or Tuesday night instead of Thursday night. Extra a day or two days rest.
Maguire yeah, but the others rotated as much as we had the depth for. Cbs generally you don't need to rotate anywhere near as much as others anyway. This year we have no actually usable cover for Shaw, Wan Bissaka, Greenwood, Martial and Rashford. Thats horrendous player development having nothing to push Greenwood on. If theres one way to kill a talent like that, its making them an automatic starter by default, not giving them any competition for places and overplaying them despite that until they get injured. Its fecking shambolic to be in our position right now, season starting and completely having ignored the front 3 and fullback positions, when we know we need to rotate them in what will be a crazy schedule.

Genuinely hope Ole puts out the U18s in the league cup game and flat out says he doesn't have the players to handle multiple cups. Even the Champions League and Premier league, the way the schedule is, will kill our lack of depth and will cause injuries.

RkkMan

We had this same tone in 2018 and went to 6th from 2nd don`t count your chickens before they hatch plus its more of a case of asking us to compete with other teams who have strengthened whilst we`ve practically stagnated.
Yes we will have Pogba/Bruno/Greenwood for a whole season but how do you not know Pogba wont play doesn`t have one eye out the door already with his contract almost up if we dont make signings?
Greenwood is in the middle of so much negative PR at 18 whilst being tasked to be a 50-60 game a season starter after just one season asking him to perform week in week out with such magnitude of pressure is a big ask he shouldn`t be a main man under such circumstances plus beyond our front 3 depth is championship level one injury and we are screwed
Bruno is a tough nail but now that we have CL football and at least 10-12 PL teams to face that we cant really rotate against(City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham, Wolves, Everton, Leeds, Leicester and lower teams that can cause upsets like Palace, Sheffield etc) huge ask to ask him to maintain same energy levels luckily we have VDB though
On paper we may have a strong 11 but its naive to think we will get top 4 without a HUGE HUGE fight against the pack below us

snowkarl

Lingard had a great 6 months 4 years back. We genuinely can not know how Mason, VdB and Bruno will perform over the course of the season.

Bruno had a very very poor end to the season and he was far from as good as he was early on. Fatigue will set in and there will be a lot of injuries this year, especially since we are now in the CL and will have to play our best players every 3 days, since we can't play the kids in EL.

If Martial has another poor 10 games in front of goal, Rashford is out with back injury (will 100% happen) and Greenwood doesn't perform - we are genuinely in great danger. Greenwood is just a teenager and if we put this much pressure on him to lead the line it will cause trouble.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Maguire yeah, but the others rotated as much as we had the depth for. Cbs generally you don't need to rotate anywhere near as much as others anyway. This year we have no actually usable cover for Shaw, Wan Bissaka, Greenwood, Martial and Rashford. Thats horrendous player development having nothing to push Greenwood on. If theres one way to kill a talent like that, its making them an automatic starter by default, not giving them any competition for places and overplaying them despite that until they get injured. Its fecking shambolic to be in our position right now, season starting and completely having ignored the front 3 and fullback positions, when we know we need to rotate them in what will be a crazy schedule.

Genuinely hope Ole puts out the U18s in the league cup game and flat out says he doesn't have the players to handle multiple cups. Even the Champions League and Premier league, the way the schedule is, will kill our lack of depth and will cause injuries.
Dean
Williams Bailly
Maguire Shaw
Pogba Fred
New signing
- VDB - James
Martial

Dean
Bissaka Bailly Maguire Williams
VDB Scott
New signing
- Bruno - James
Rashford

Who said we can't rotate? That's 6 out of possible 11 to rotate.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
As soon as we hit a rough patch with this squad of players mark my words we will be back to January levels of anger and everything can fall apart in a month. What kind of message are we sending to the players when we don’t even back them going into the champions league. Give it your best shot, waste a year with us, we just don’t have the money to back you to win? The club had a real chance to build on the Bruno bounce, the goodwill we generated and little bit of luck we had getting key players back over covid but they’ve sat on their hands, yet again. What decent teams did we play after the restart? Spurs- Draw. Chelsea- loss Sevilla- loss, Leicester- just about scrapped a win. we are in for a rude awakening this season. I hope Ole can keep his job because It’s clearly Ed that needs to go.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Lingard had a great 6 months 4 years back. We genuinely can not know how Mason, VdB and Bruno will perform over the course of the season.

Bruno had a very very poor end to the season and he was far from as good as he was early on. Fatigue will set in and there will be a lot of injuries this year, especially since we are now in the CL and will have to play our best players every 3 days, since we can't play the kids in EL.

If Martial has another poor 10 games in front of goal, Rashford is out with back injury (will 100% happen) and Greenwood doesn't perform - we are genuinely in great danger. Greenwood is just a teenager and if we put this much pressure on him to lead the line it will cause trouble.
Even if we sign players, we also can not know how they perform over the course of the season. So your point?

padzilla

Hipster
We know we can be a match for anyone on our day, the challenge now is to make that a consistent feature rather going on blistering runs and then completely collapsing for a period of games after that. Better squad depth would be a huge step in the right direction.

bosnian_red

Dean
Williams Bailly
Maguire Shaw
Pogba Fred
New signing
- VDB - James
Martial

Dean
Bissaka Bailly Maguire Williams
VDB Scott
New signing
- Bruno - James
Rashford

Who said we can't rotate? That's 6 out of possible 11 to rotate.
Who is this new signing guy? Wish I shared your optimism that we'll actually sign an attacker/right winger who can actually compete for a starting spot. We've done feck all for 2 months and have the seasons starting in 2 days. I don't see it barring a big injury early on forcing their hand.

Having Champions League football, we need better depth in attack and at fullback. Not much is required IMO, but without doing them its disastrous. We need a left back who can rotate with Shaw, as Shaw breaks down the second we play multiple games in a short period (which is this entire season), and then we need an attacker to rotate/challenge with the front 3. Without it, Shaw will be played until injury, Wan Bissaka will lose form (and no, Williams can't sufficiently cover for both at the same time), our front 3 will start pretty much every game in the premier league and Champions Leaghe just like what happened in the restart, since Dan James isn't good enough for more than simpler games where he'll have space to run into, and Ighalo isn't really useful for anything but Carabao cup games. That'll lead to similar situations like Rashford getting a stress fracture in his back because he was overplayed after half a season in a normal schedule where we could rotate in Europe. Its a disaster waiting to happen if we don't strengthen the attack and at fullback.

snowkarl

Even if we sign players, we also can not know how they perform over the course of the season. So your point?
That's not what I am saying. I'm just pointing out the variables that might suggest we can't simply expect those players to perform at their peak throughout this, extremely hectic, season.

We have no depth whatsoever for the front 3, nor entire back line. Our only solid depth is in midfield funnily enough, and considering the game-every-3-days for the entire coming year, more injuries than usual is essentially guaranteed.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Who is this new signing guy? Wish I shared your optimism that we'll actually sign an attacker/right winger who can actually compete for a starting spot. We've done feck all for 2 months and have the seasons starting in 2 days. I don't see it barring a big injury early on forcing their hand.

Having Champions League football, we need better depth in attack and at fullback. Not much is required IMO, but without doing them its disastrous. We need a left back who can rotate with Shaw, as Shaw breaks down the second we play multiple games in a short period (which is this entire season), and then we need an attacker to rotate/challenge with the front 3. Without it, Shaw will be played until injury, Wan Bissaka will lose form (and no, Williams can't sufficiently cover for both at the same time), our front 3 will start pretty much every game in the premier league and Champions Leaghe just like what happened in the restart, since Dan James isn't good enough for more than simpler games where he'll have space to run into, and Ighalo isn't really useful for anything but Carabao cup games. That'll lead to similar situations like Rashford getting a stress fracture in his back because he was overplayed after half a season in a normal schedule where we could rotate in Europe. Its a disaster waiting to happen if we don't strengthen the attack and at fullback.
I expect us to sign an alternative of Sancho if we don't sign him. What makes you not believe that we can't wrap up at least a signing or two within 3 weeks? CL doesn't start in 3 weeks.

You are making it sounds like we need to rotate minimum all our players except centre back which is 9 players. Not many teams make that massive amount of rotation, in fact I expect 5 players max during rotation which imo Williams, Sancho's alternative, VDB, Dean, Fred/Scott & Bailly are good enough to fill in the rotation role.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
That's not what I am saying. I'm just pointing out the variables that might suggest we can't simply expect those players to perform at their peak throughout this, extremely hectic, season.

We have no depth whatsoever for the front 3, nor entire back line. Our only solid depth is in midfield funnily enough, and considering the game-every-3-days for the entire coming year, more injuries than usual is essentially guaranteed.
I don't disagree with the lack of depth which what I have said before that's the difference between Chelsea and us right now.

But you are in panic mode like it's the end of the world when transfer window is still open for 3 weeks and few days ago we are starting to look for Sancho's alternative.

Langers7274

I don't disagree with the lack of depth which what I have said before that's the difference between Chelsea and us right now.

But you are in panic mode like it's the end of the world when transfer window is still open for 3 weeks and few days ago we are starting to look for Sancho's alternative.

I'm not panicking yet, first half of last season we never had Pogba, VDB or Bruno, that's 3 players who would get in most teams worldwide! Martial didn't start the first two months so it's not all doom and gloom.

More importantly I think we need to get rid of the deadwood to free up the wages i.e. Rojo, Jones, Smalling, Pereira et al

bosnian_red

I expect us to sign an alternative of Sancho if we don't sign him. What makes you not believe that we can't wrap up at least a signing or two within 3 weeks? CL doesn't start in 3 weeks.

You are making it sounds like we need to rotate minimum all our players except centre back which is 9 players. Not many teams make that massive amount of rotation, in fact I expect 5 players max during rotation which imo Williams, Sancho's alternative, VDB, Dean, Fred/Scott & Bailly are good enough to fill in the rotation role.
We have 2 games a week every week for the entire season. Yes, we'll need to regularly rotate. I'm not saying we need 20 quality players. I'm saying we need 1 player who can rotate the front 3 regularly/compete with them for starting places, so you can pick any of the 4 and have a good front 3, whether its the champions league games or premier league games. Dan James should be deeper depth used more sparingly, and Ighalo only for Carabao Cup/FA Cup/injury crisis. We also need to rotate at left back, because quite simply Luke Shaw gets injured when he plays 2 games a week. It happens every time. The entire season is 2 games a week. Williams isn't a good enough left back (should be right back cover anyway to keep AWB fresh) to start Champions League or Premier League games, unless used very sparingly, so a squad that can actually withstand both competitions would have normal competition for Shaw (since he's arguably not good enough anyway), and push Williams to be cover for Wan Bissaka.

Our midfield 3 we have depth for, our CB's have numbers if not quality, our fullbacks and front 3 are both lacking in numbers and quality.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We have 2 games a week every week for the entire season. Yes, we'll need to regularly rotate. I'm not saying we need 20 quality players. I'm saying we need 1 player who can rotate the front 3 regularly/compete with them for starting places, so you can pick any of the 4 and have a good front 3, whether its the champions league games or premier league games. Dan James should be deeper depth used more sparingly, and Ighalo only for Carabao Cup/FA Cup/injury crisis. We also need to rotate at left back, because quite simply Luke Shaw gets injured when he plays 2 games a week. It happens every time. The entire season is 2 games a week. Williams isn't a good enough left back (should be right back cover anyway to keep AWB fresh) to start Champions League or Premier League games, unless used very sparingly, so a squad that can actually withstand both competitions would have normal competition for Shaw (since he's arguably not good enough anyway), and push Williams to be cover for Wan Bissaka.

Our midfield 3 we have depth for, our CB's have numbers if not quality, our fullbacks and front 3 are both lacking in numbers and quality.
What makes you not believe that we are already out from transfer window or we can't wrap up at least a signing or two within 3 weeks or less? That's enough to have 5 rotation players between PL & CL.

Strelok

Bruno replaces Pereira, VDB replaces Lingard & whoever Sancho's alternative replaces Mata. Is that supposed to be bad?
Bruno replace Pereira? From when Pereira was our first choice AM? And VDB replaces Lingard as our RW is what you mean? Or we usually play with two AM?

Well at least now you agree that we need more signing to have a positive season.

We aren't that far off and I really don't get the doom and gloom merchants claiming we'll struggle to make top 4 with the squad as is.

We are starting the season with 3 quality midfielders more than we had for the majority of last season and the young players should kick on and improve on last year's performances.

Yes, we do need to strengthen but even if there are no more additions, there's every reason to believe we'll have a better season than last year.

Nicolarra90

How dare you to be optimistic!

You need to get along with the CAF narrative!

We'll be 8th without Sancho and treble winners with him

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Bruno replace Pereira? From when Pereira was our first choice AM? And VDB replaces Lingard as our RW is what you mean? Or we usually play with two AM?
Were you living behind the rock or something during our first 6 months? Pereira was our regular AM before Bruno came and he even played more league games (18) as our starter than Bruno (14).

Lingard's asset is his off ball movement, putting pressure on his opponent and making run to the box to score or assist. This is similar to VDB's assets. Lingard plays 21x as AM and only 4x as RW last season in all comp. AM is one of the position that VDB likes to play and he will be the one that cover Bruno's position before Pereira & Lingard.

Well at least now you agree that we need more signing to have a positive season.
My username is not Withnail.

bosnian_red

What makes you not believe that we are already out from transfer window or we can't wrap up at least a signing or two within 3 weeks or less? That's enough to have 5 rotation players between PL & CL.
Because its a common theme United have had the last 7 years. We've had 2 months to make signings and have done feck all, and the season starts tomorrow. Dortmund have made it very clear their stance on Sancho, we'll see if United pay up or if they'll even accept that at this point. Each passing day though there are fewer and fewer alternatives, and United in the past has shown a complete lack of ideas to have alternatives in the first place. Combine that with us pretty much never doing loan deals, and you get a final 2 weeks of the window with the season already started where I doubt we do anything.

And yeah, all we needed for an acceptable window was 3 solid squad players where we can at least maintain momentum and withstand multiple competitions, even if isnt necessarily a step forward. We haven't even done that. Thats what is frustrating as feck.

Strelok

Were you living behind the rock or something during our first 6 months? Pereira was our regular AM before Bruno came and he even played more league games (18) as our starter than Bruno (14).

Lingard's asset is his off ball movement, putting pressure on his opponent and making run to the box to score or assist. This is similar to VDB's assets. Lingard plays 21x as AM and only 4x as RW last season in all comp. AM is one of the position that VDB likes to play and he will be the one that cover Bruno's position before Pereira & Lingard.

My username is not Withnail.
I see what you mean with Bruno/Pereira now. I was a bit shock thinking you consider Pereira as our first choice AM by saying Bruno replaces him.

Regarding the next question. Do you really think we usually play with two AM? Or VDB can play as a RW? When you said VDB replaces Lingard.

Sorry about the last, you two sound incredibly similar.

P/s: nevermind I get what you mean with VDB/Lingard now. Anyway we still need at least a decent RW. VDB can't play RW and Lingard is Lingard.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Because its a common theme United have had the last 7 years. We've had 2 months to make signings and have done feck all, and the season starts tomorrow. Dortmund have made it very clear their stance on Sancho, we'll see if United pay up or if they'll even accept that at this point. Each passing day though there are fewer and fewer alternatives, and United in the past has shown a complete lack of ideas to have alternatives in the first place. Combine that with us pretty much never doing loan deals, and you get a final 2 weeks of the window with the season already started where I doubt we do anything.
We signed Maguire 1 week before transfer window closed. We signed Bruno, 2 days before transfer window closed.

If the the worry is the depth squad, even failing to sign Sancho doesn't mean we still don't have other alternative that is still good enough to be an upgrade of Lingard/Mata and play as starter in our CL matches to give our current front three rest.

UpWithRivers

All we need to do is step up and have low injury count. I know it sounds ridiculous but its not impossible. But its not like we dont have the talent. Its just we are inconsistent and injured all the time. Imagine if De Gea gets back to his top form. Pogba has an injury free season and is on top form. Fernandes continues at his rate of assists and goals and gets better with a pre season behind him. Think how frighting our front 3 can be if they step up another level. Heck even our deadwood. Lingard was an England international. He got a couple of goals at the end of the season. If he could just find his way back to that form he would be a major asset.....as back up. You can also add the rest of the deadwood. All we need is for them to play well against lower half teams and step up and do a job when first teamers are injured. They have the ability.
All ifs and buts. However there is a lot of talent in that team And they are all young. We know they can do it. They just need to do it week in week out. Year in year out.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

And yeah, all we needed for an acceptable window was 3 solid squad players where we can at least maintain momentum and withstand multiple competitions, even if isnt necessarily a step forward. We haven't even done that. Thats what is frustrating as feck.
That's the point, they hold on and hold on hoping they can get their main target. In the meantime as you say the alternatives are dwindling by the day as other clubs sign them or they sign new contracts with their current clubs.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I see what you mean with Bruno/Pereira now. I was a bit shock thinking you consider Pereira as our first choice AM by saying Bruno replaces him.

Regarding the next question. Do you really think we usually play with two AM? Or VDB can play as a RW? When you said VDB replaces Lingard.
Lingard plays 21x as AM and only 4x as RW last season in all comp. Why are you still asking the same question when I've told you where Lingard played most of the time last season.

Sancho's alternative is likely to be Mata's replacement which is covering the RW.

Sorry about the last, you two sound incredibly similar.
You are weird if you can find some similarity.

bosnian_red

We signed Maguire 1 week before transfer window closed. We signed Bruno, 2 days before transfer window closed.

If the the worry is the depth squad, even failing to sign Sancho doesn't mean we still don't have other alternative that is still good enough to be an upgrade of Lingard/Mata and play as starter in our CL matches to give our current front three rest.
Of course there are options. The worry is we are doing nothing about them. Our transfer business was simple enough that it should have been sorted. Its not, and the only rumor out there is that our board think that Dortmund will just drop their price for Sancho, when at this point its questionable if they'd even sell even if we met the asking price. Its just pure incompetence from us.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Of course there are options. The worry is we are doing nothing about them. Our transfer business was simple enough that it should have been sorted. Its not, and the only rumor out there is that our board think that Dortmund will just drop their price for Sancho, when at this point its questionable if they'd even sell even if we met the asking price. Its just pure incompetence from us.
We are linked with Perisic and other names. So Sancho & Dortmund aren't the only rumour out there. Even Simon Stone mentioned the alternative names.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54145029

bosnian_red

We are linked with Perisic and other names. So Sancho & Dortmund aren't the only rumour out there. Even Simon Stone mentioned the alternative names.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54145029
We'll see. Perisic on a short term deal (2 year contract or 1 year loan) would be good, I'm just skeptical as we don't do those deals pretty much ever. Left back i think we plan on just going into the season as is which is a problem imo but we'll see.