Big and tall footballer that’s technically great

killerboi2

3 pages in and nobody has said Drogba as yet. Unbelievable!! This is literally his whole shtick as a football player. He is 6'2 (tall enough) and most definitely a "big" type of player.

There probably isn't many players better in combining muscle and technical ability than Drogba. There have been other PL players that we talk about as having "physical presence" such as Lukaku, Duncan Ferguson, Heskey etc and lots more I'm sure. None of them even really close to Drogba.

Withnail

We’re not talking about people coming from all over the world. We’re talking about professional footballers. Whose average height would be much closer to that of Holland than it would the average height of Brazil or Spain. Also don’t forget we’re talking about men. Average height for a nation will include both sexes.

Side note, I refuse to believe the average height of men in Spain is 169cm. That’s fecking tiny!
Yeah it's mad. I always thought I had Spanish genes somewhere along the line. I'm taking this as confirmation as I'm 165 myself.

George the Cat

He is just 184 cm, so not rally tall. He simply has a good leap and timing for headers. That's why he seems to be taller.
Hey I’m 6 foot 1, that’s 185 cm and I consider myself tall. Walk around town and yes I AM tall so there.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Ok, but that also means that 179 cm is short. If you're fine with that, then I have no complaints :p
He's right because dictioniaries say so. You always win internet arguments due to technicalities (in this case criticizing someones grammar or the likes could have even been better). :angel: Who cares about context

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He's right because dictioniaries say so. You always win internet arguments due to technicalities (in this case criticizing someones grammar or the likes could have even been better). :angel: Who cares about context
At least dictionaries give us a standard, making up a threshold on the spot that doesn't even fit with the OP is just plain dumb. If you want to only consider players above 190cm say so which others have done and everyone myself included seem to have accepted it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I presume that's a typo and was maybe supposed to be example?
Evan as an example it’s an odd call. One of many in this thread. Do people think footballers lose the ability to control their feet once they reach six foot tall?!

The OP is clearly about unusually tall footballers yet we keep getting examples of players who are fairly average heights.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
At least dictionaries give us a standard, making up a threshold on the spot that doesn't even fit with the OP is just plain dumb.
Who gives a shit about standards when there's context and common sense. Being 1 mm above average does not make you tall and it's clearly not what's meant in this thread. Which kind of means that kind of "standard" is useless.

Boavista

Apparently De Bruyne is only 181cm, always thought he was taller.

Havertz is very technical, and quite lanky at 189cm.

owlo

What the hell?
How was he not extremely big and also extremely technical? Not 'tall' so much, but certainly BIG and anything but average. So many interviews around saying that what he could do at his size was on the edge of possibility.

Original quote in the OP was about big.

Withnail

Evan as an example it’s an odd call. One of many in this thread. Do people think footballers lose the ability to control their feet once they reach six foot tall?!

The OP is clearly about unusually tall footballers yet we keep getting examples of players who are fairly average heights.
Yeah I know. I don't know why people are struggling with this one.

JPRouve

Scout
Who gives a shit about standards when there's context and common sense. Being 1 mm above average does not make you tall and it's clearly not what's meant in this thread. Which kind of means that kind of "standard" is useless.
The context includes Cruyff, Grealish and C.Ronaldo, those are the standards from the OP. You keep talking about what the thread means and context while ignoring the actual OP of the thread. Anyway talk about the topic instead of wasting your time on an inane conversation.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Oh yeah good shout. Did we ever find out what age he really was?
Not a clue.

It's madness. On what planet are Ronaldo, Benzema etc tall? The OP is clearly talking about very tall footballers. I would say 189cm and above.

Withnail

Not a clue.

It's madness. On what planet are Ronaldo, Benzema etc tall? The OP is clearly talking about very tall footballers. I would say 189cm and above.
I had another look at the Op and as @JPRouve said they've mentioned Ronaldo and Grealish so the Op itself is flawed. Grealish isn't tall for a footballer and Ronaldo isn't so tall that you'd expect it to cause him issues in relation to technique.

owlo

The context includes Cruyff, Grealish and C.Ronaldo, those are the standards from the OP. You keep talking about what the thread means and context while ignoring the actual OP of the thread. Anyway talk about the topic instead of wasting your time on an inane conversation.
Some here seem to gain self esteem from the patronising and passive aggressive remarks and use the forum to that purpose. Makes it very difficult to have a discussion with all the smoke.

OleBoiii

Haha, I just noticed that the OP mentioned Grealish and C. Ronaldo :lol:

I can forgive C. Ronaldo, as he looks taller than he is(probably because of his crazy athleticism) but Grealish is 3-4 cm shorter than the average footballer. I guess his massive calves create an optical illusion or something.

JPRouve

Scout
Some here seem to gain self esteem from the patronising and passive aggressive remarks and use the forum to that purpose. Makes it very difficult to have a discussion with all the smoke.
I can't really cast any stones when it comes to this. :nervous:

tomaldinho1

It's fairly lazy but anyone that plays football knows that the stereotypes tend to hold true for a reason. Maybe it's a developmental thing - if you're bigger and stronger from ages 9-16 than your peers it's easier to be naturally better than others whereas smaller players growing up learn to become extra precise in their technique. I'm sure there's a footballer - think it was Scott McTominay who spoke out recently who said he was "small" relatively speaking growing up, who then suddenly had a growth spurt of 10-12 inches, I may be thinking of Haaland as well. Neither of those you might consider technical players - but they HAVE to be in the top 0.012% of all footballers technically, after all, they're playing at a Champions League level.
I always thought a factor was probably the very simple reason of foot size + weight. Generally taller players will have bigger feet and, although it’s a minuscule difference it would be logical that the larger the foot the larger the room for error in the striking zone (we’re talking mm). Add that to weight - generally the taller players will be heavier which, again this is minuscule, will affect balance, reaction time etc.

There are exceptions of course but, even someone highly skilled like Ibra, is nowhere someone like Neymar, Iniesta, Ronaldinho etc. because, for me at least, dribbling ability is technical (assuming it's not like Traore dribbling of kick and rush) and that is never part of the bigger players' games; RVP, Ibra, Lewa etc. That's why CR7 was such a freak - he was a 6 foot 2 wide attacker who could go round anyone and had all the tricks and flicks to go with it.

Withnail

I'm not sure the height really matters that much if you're solidly built up to around the 1.90 mark.

It's the ones that are so tall they'll only ever be gangly and give off the vague impression of a baby giraffe but still manage to pull off wonderful skills that are surprising.

OleBoiii

On the flip side, are there any midget footballers who have a terrible touch?
At the highest level? I doubt it. It would have to be a pure destroyer who immediately kicks the ball away upon winning it. Maybe a fullback that only can defend, though they tend to be taller as well.

JPRouve

Scout
At the highest level? I doubt it. It would have to be a pure destroyer who immediately kicks the ball away upon winning it. Maybe a fullback that only can defend, though they tend to be taller as well.
Would Gary Medel fit the bill? He seems to only know how to kick other players.

Welbeckham

From the PL 1.90m club, Pogba, Giroud, Yarmolenko, Matic and Van Dijk stick out for me as technically great. Havertz at 1.89 is also a tall player with brilliant technique.

Zlatan is also an obvious answer here. When it comes to shorter players you could even remotely address as tall, Henry and Cristiano are the best examples of such player.

OleBoiii

Would Gary Medel fit the bill? He seems to only know how to kick other players.
I haven't seen enough from him to confirm if this is true or not, but he certainly fits the bill in terms of height and football level :p

Holocene

I don't think many people in this thread have understood @kouroux question :lol: People are just naming good players that are over 6 ft.

Yaya Toure is one of the few players I can think of. Watching Havertz play reminds me of Pogba. He has a similar gait that looks almost lackadaisical which leads to unfair criticism too.

Polar

John Obi Mikel (188cm)
Michael Ballack (189cm)
Hakan Şükür (191cm)
Kai Havertz (189cm)
Luca Toni (193cm