"Big changes need to be made in the summer"

thewelshconjurer

"off course Poo for the final!" SHAME ON YOU
"The fear of loss is a path to the dark side&
Plechazunga said:
It's all been said a billion times...but feck it

New keeper
Heinze to centre half
Can't afford a top centre midfielder, will have to make do, I'd play Smith there and see how he didBuy some cover on the right wing if we've got any cash

Have some patience for a season or 2
At last, a sensible poster.

Reflectorboy

Future friend of the first team
welshconjurer,there is a solution right in front of our eyes
his name is Van Bommel and he is on a free,a leader on the pitch with good distribution of the ball

giggsyflying

Football is not life. It is more than life.
though it is sad but i think it is time to sell giggs if necessary to get the kitty to strengthen the squard

sell jos, kleberson, giggs, miller, silvestre and saha, we may get about 20M
to give a boost to the salary bill, i believe scholes and keano will be willing to step down by retiring

sad to say goodbye but for the team we love, we need to act before too late, i.e. sacking saf who does not have the resources to change
with the current squard, i think we at most can get the 2nd runner-up and even be challenged by the liverpoor for that position

Reflectorboy

Future friend of the first team
ThomasM said:
well, dutch tv has reported that van bommel has reached an agreement with barca..
then we are fecked?a possible solution right in front of us without forking out a cent,surely worth a gamble

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
o`shea,kleberson and miller wont bring in that much money, they have been injured\put in pathetic performances\not even in the bench and not even performed well on the reserves team.
keep in mind that miller came on a freebee as well.

silvestre and saha could bring in a lump of money, though i guess we will just have to cut our losses and expect atleast 50% less for saha than we paid.
giggs wont bring in that much money either, not many years left.

though when you add it up.
o`shea,kleberson,miller and phil neville (oh yeah..) could bring in about £5mill, maybe more.

silvestre and saha could bring in (i guess £5mill for saha and perhaps £4-5 for silly) £9-10mill, that would leave us with £15mill to bring in new players.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Sell:

Silvestre (£7-8m)
Scholes (£8m) :(
Fortune (£3m)
Phil (£3m) or O'Shea (£4m)
Miller (£1m)
Carroll (free)
Ricardo (free)

Buy:

Gattuso (£15m)
Aimar (£10m)
A keeper (£5-10m)

If we have to let either Smith or Saha go to get the keeper, so be it. Perhaps even Ruud could be sold if we have definite plans on what needs to be done and need that money (definitely last resort though).

With quite a few of our squad players being sold, this means that our youngsters will be required to step up to provide cover more often. This means more games for the likes of Spector and Jones.

---------------Ruud-----------
--Aimar----Rooney-----Ronaldo-
-------Keane-----Gattuso------
-Heinze---Wes-----Rio----Gaz--
---------------GK-------------

And then the following season we'd have to look for a Pirlo/Alonso kind of player to replace Keane. A deep-lying playmaker that can do quite a bit of defensive work. I doubt whether Fletch will ever be good enough to take that role in the first team unfortunately. Perhaps Baraja could be a good short-term answer, with the Jedi taking over as he gets more experienced.

manusteve

1) A keeper

2) A central midfielder (holding)

We must find cash to acquire these, whether thru sales or internal funds.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
we already showed this season that we can play fantastic football, it's more a problem of finding that form again instead of buying 10 new players

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Well, they're not exactly huge changes. Scholes is the only big-name player that I'm proposing to be sold (and I hate doing that as he's perhaps my favourite player). Silvestre is looking more and more likely to leave IMO.

And the two that I'm saying should come in are a player who is unhappy at Valencia (hence why Aimar should go cheap when considering his talent) and a player who has often been said to want to come back to the UK because of his Scottish girlfriend. If Gattuso doesn't want to come (or Milan refuse to sell him), move onto someone else. Perhaps buy the deep-lying playmaker (Baraja, etc) this season and go for the pure defensive midfielder the following season when Keano retires. Davids on loan could definitely be an option.

If we were smart I think we could easily make those transfers. The reason I doubt it'll happen is that I simply don't trust our management in the transfer market. :houllier:

manusteve

Michel04 said:
we already showed this season that we can play fantastic football, it's more a problem of finding that form again instead of buying 10 new players
Don't need TEN new players, just a keeper and a Keane replacement.

And then, yes, I agree about playing well consistently.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
manusteve said:
Don't need TEN new players, just a keeper and a Keane replacement.

And then, yes, I agree about playing well consistently.
agree about the keeper, but i doubt we will get a player who's really that good to keep roy out of the starting XI. and it looks like sir alex wont do that, anyway.
i think we are right now in a period where we just have to wait, at least another season, until the young players are ready and can take over, until the team re-finds their form again, until everything is settled

redmanc

Sell Saha, dont buy a replacement as the legend is due to return and providing he can get up to fitness and make a full recovery he could be the key to our goal scoring issue (wishfull thinking but no harm in thinking positive), take the money from Saha and put it to whatever we have for transfers and go for a CM, for me the keeper isnt such a major issue as is the midfield.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
In the past we always had world-class players (Hughes, Cantona, Keano etc etc) who backed the less talented players that compensated their ‘lack’ with passion, desire and commitment. Unfortunately that time is over. In today’s football you need either loads of luck (ie Porto and Monaco last year or Liverpool this year) or else a strong 25 men team made up of players whom you can rely on and whom you know that they rarely make mistakes. I mean, just look at our past CL campaigns since 1999. This year it was Carroll’s mistake, seasons before it was Wes, Phil, Howard, Mickey etc etc etc. With due respect to these players who had always given us their 101% but we cannot keep on relying on players who regularly make silly mistakes when put under pressure. I mean, we are talking about the CL here, playing against teams like Chelsea, Juventus, Milan of course you would be put under pressure.

If we want to compete than we have to have a balanced and consistent first team backed by consistent players who wont let you down. If we don’t have that then we can only rely on one thing. LUCK.

manusteve

Michel04 said:
agree about the keeper, but i doubt we will get a player who's really that good to keep roy out of the starting XI. and it looks like sir alex wont do that, anyway.
i think we are right now in a period where we just have to wait, at least another season, until the young players are ready and can take over, until the team re-finds their form again, until everything is settled
Ok fine, but keep playing the Keane-Scholes partnership again next season and we'll be right up there challenging for the FA Cup and the League Cup.

People keep going on about commitment and digging-in until things improve. We did this during our long unbeaten run, but if your team is not good enough, and you have no youngsters good enough to come thru, then isn't it obvious we need to sign a central midfielder?

kanchelskis14

redmanc said:
Sell Saha, dont buy a replacement as the legend is due to return and providing he can get up to fitness and make a full recovery he could be the key to our goal scoring issue (wishfull thinking but no harm in thinking positive), take the money from Saha and put it to whatever we have for transfers and go for a CM, for me the keeper isnt such a major issue as is the midfield.
Saha is a better striker than Smith. Keep Saha fit and the choice is easy for me. Plus he gives us pace.

nickm

The problem is our reserves, not the first teamers. The results this season show we've lost when we've been forced to reply on the backups.

Clear out the reserves, bring in some talent that is good enough to force some of the established first-teamers onto the bench, and the squad quality automatically improves.

ie I'd rather have A New Signing potentially putting Keane onto the bench, than Keane putting Djemba onto the bench. If you get my drift.

soccerbest

kanchelskis14 said:
Saha is a better striker than Smith. Keep Saha fit and the choice is easy for me. Plus he gives us pace.
So does Bellion too.

Saha goal-scoring record has been poor also and his injury records. :tard:

kanchelskis14

soccerbest said:
So does Bellion too.

Saha goal-scoring record has been poor also and his injury records. :tard:
Your the fecking retard. At least Saha has injuries to cite as a reason for scoring only twice, Smith has about 6 if i'm not mistaken and looks like getting sent off every time he plays for needless and reckless tackles. Saha showed what he is capable of last season, scoring 20 league goals. Smith has never shown such form in his career.

uranushk1

I'd Bellion if I said I were an optimist
One new keeper. Clear some dead woods. Bring in a few youngsters. I think that's what we can do in this summer in terms of personnel.

In terms of tactic, I think we need new formation and be more aggressive in attack. Stick with the same team as much as possible and attack with pace and creativity.

That's what should be done. And I see next season as the final chance for Fergie and some of the 1st teamers we currently have.

beergod

get a real defensive midfielder to shield the back four
move heinze to cb (obviously not a left back, doesn't have the positioning or the crossing)
offload silvestre (i'm fed up with his lapses of concentration)
if we can get some cover for the wing on the cheap do it, if not hope richardson and the like can come good.
keep saha healthy
clear out the reserves, we have too many that have overlapping roles (fortune, p. neville, and o'shea are all used for the same positions)

Shaft

Davo said:
You should try Heinze at CB

I've been saying this for ages....and I'm always right
heinze is good where he is.. leave him there...

get a new CB... Lucio?

pjaya

no need to buy any players imo, promote the youngsters and i wouldn't mind getting empty for a few years,

give them a few years when the youngster come to age, then we will win again.

Alilaw

If money's a problem, which apparently it is, then whack Steele, Pique, Spector, Eagles, Jones and Rossi in the first team squad. They might not be world beaters, but they'll at least be on a par with some of our 'squad' players who are at their peak and therefore unlikely to get better, and eating up a chunk of cash with their wages. This move would enable us to ship out a fair few faces (Neville, O'Shea maybe, Kleberson, Bellion, Silvestre perhaps) and maybe cobble together enough to make one or two quality, considered signings.