"Big Dunc" - R.I.P.

TomClare

This morning marks the 49th Anniversary of the passing of "Big Dunc." To me he was my hero and my idol. Football, in my honest opinion, has never ever seen a player, in any position, with the talent that the "big fella" had. He was simply the best. R.I.P. Duncan - sleep on in peace.

Black Country Boy

Remembering the great players
Through the ages we have known
For all those that are honoured
One boy stands alone
Of whom throughout the country
All the people do say
How our game was depleted
When "Big Dunc" passed away.

So shy so retiring
A discerning smile that was grand
His great heart and young spirit
Beat warmth through the land
A great servant to United
To his Country a true Son
Of the game's finest player's
"Dunc" was second to none

In purpose so unsparing
And in playing no less
He reached for the heights
That he sought and professed
He relished the battle
And he fought the good fight
Football lost a great Champion
When he passed that sad night

We were never to know
He would be called laid to rest
God called for this young boy
Because he wanted the best
Dear "Dunc" left us suddenly
No goodbye no farewell
Now he lies in a churchyard
Beneath the toll of a bell

Indomitable, indefatigable,
Courageous beyond call
Now remembered in church glass
He kneels with the ball
We remember his lifespan
He gave us such pleasure such joy
A role model, a true legend
Was this Black Country Boy

Sleep on Dear "Dunc" in your peace
We remember you with pride
Your memory is cherished
Your Molly now there by your side
The years are swiftly passing
Time cannot mar nor destroy
The memory of a real Immortal
A true Black Country Boy!

Man Utd Mrs

We all love our MUM
Aye.....

He was a legend.
R.I.P. Big Duncan.

"Always in our thoughts
Forever in our hearts".

My husband was named after Duncan and my son has his name as his middle name.

Gabe

TomClare said:
This morning marks the 49th Anniversary of the passing of "Big Dunc." To me he was my hero and my idol. Football, in my honest opinion, has never ever seen a player, in any position, with the talent that the "big fella" had. He was simply the best. R.I.P. Duncan - sleep on in peace.
I never tire of hearing accounts of Duncan Edwards.

What sets him part from the likes of Pele, Bechenbauer, Cruyff, Best et al.

Tribec

After all the goings on last night, this anniversary will go unnoticed by most, but not those that are Red and White to the core.

Still regarded as one of the finest ever to play the game, stolen from us after only a few years. How many caps?, How many medals? How many awards? We can only guess what the final total would have been, but I think it's fair to say that Big Dunc, would be up there at the top of most of them. Thank you Dunc for what you gave us and the glimpse of footballing heaven.

RIP Dunc.

topper

Clown
For me he was the best player I've ever seen and that includes the likes of Pele, Maradonna and Best - it is impossible to imagine how much better he could have been if he had lived

RIP Big Dunc

kinkster

r.i.p

Unfortunately never privalaged to watch him play but both my father and grandfather were so ive heard countless times how great the man was and how much of a loss not only to manchester united he was but to footbal in general

redfan

It's not the colour of your shirt that counts, it'
topper said:
For me he was the best player I've ever seen and that includes the likes of Pele, Maradonna and Best - it is impossible to imagine how much better he could have been if he had lived

RIP Big Dunc
I don't know about you Topper but Duncans death was the most devastating blow of them all. Big Duncan was a superman, indestructable, his death after the impact of Munich could have been a lethal blow for the club but somehow it gave us strength, it galvanised the club and fans alike into what we now see at Old Trafford. Yes Duncan Edwards you are the rock, you and the other Babes who died, are the rock on which Manchester United was re-built.
R.I.P.

ukbob

Caf's Coolest Rag n Bone man
My first game I ever saw United live was Duncans last in England. A legend and whatever you read he was all of that and some.

topper

Clown
redfan said:
I don't know about you Topper but Duncans death was the most devastating blow of them all. Big Duncan was a superman, indestructable, his death after the impact of Munich could have been a lethal blow for the club but somehow it gave us strength, it galvanised the club and fans alike into what we now see at Old Trafford. Yes Duncan Edwards you are the rock, you and the other Babes who died, are the rock on which Manchester United was re-built.
R.I.P.

I think what made his death so impactful was that his strength kept him alive longer than we imagined and - I for sure - thought he'd survive. It made his death even more painful - almost like he died twice

TomClare

Duncan's injuries were so severe that it was amazing that he survived as long as he did. The fight that he put up to live was so brave. As we remember, the bulletins yo-yo'd so much in those 15 days after the crash, but we all had hope that he'd make it. We listened in to every bulletin on the old steam radio. To be honest, at that time, I don't think the majority of us realised just how badly injured he was. He was "Dunc" - "The Tank" - "The Big Fella" - he was indestructable. His kidneys were so badly damaged and his right leg was such a mess - it was said that had he survived, he would have more than likely have ived a life confined to a wheelchair. None of us that saw him would ever have liked to see that.

Duncan was such a lovely lad. A colossus on the field of play, but so quiet, shy and reserved off it. He just lived to play football - didn't matter at what level the game would be. He would run out from that old players tunnel and start taking giant leaps into the air as though he was heading an imaginary ball. He could never wait for the match to begin. Such energy, a terrific temprament, and skill beyond belief. He was the complete all round player.

People talk about "greats" and "legends" but you'll notice that most players put into this category are forwards. Duncan could play anywhere - and still be the most outstanding player on the pitch. He could play the deft short ball, the long raking ball, he had a terrific eye for openings and could play the "killer" ball that took defences out of the game. He could dribble like a winger, and I have never ever seen a player that was so effective driving forward with ball - his power was enormous and had to be seen to be believed. He was very powerful in the air and a tremenous header of the ball both in the defensive and attacking modes of the game. He had a lethal shot in either foot and read the game like a vetran. His anticipation was something else and he'd appear from nowhere defensively when the team were in trouble, and boy was he quick. His tackling had to be seen and his timing was so good - but to see a full blooded tackle from him was a joy. He lived his life the right way, looked after his body, and was just focused on football.

As Redfan said, his death was the hardest to take because he epitomised the spirit of Manchester United. I look back now with so much fondness at the memories of him. Seeing him pedal that old bike down Warwick Road and then freewheeling down to that old ticket office. He never refused the kids an autograph and would stand until he had signed every last bit of paper. No airs and graces about him, no ego of any kind. I often think about some of his performances for United and they make me glow even today. I remember particularly a 5th Round FA Cup tie against Everton at Old Trafford. It was a day when the ball just wouldn't go into the net for United, and Everton seemed to have an "india Rubber" man in their goal in Albert Dunlop. His performance that day was just short of phenomenal. But with almost three quarters of the game gone, the "big fella" picked up a loose ball in central midfield just inside his own half. He was off with it close to his feet and started driving towards the Scoreboard End. The roar that began to growl around Old Trafford started slowly and as he shrugged off a couple of would be tacklers, it heightened. We all knew exactly what was about to happen. He was some thirty or so yards out from goal when without breaking stride, he suddenly let fly with his left foot and the ball scorched along just above the surface of the turf. It was like a thunderbolt as it flew inside the upright of the goal - Dunlop never moved - he was beaten from the moment it left Dunc's foot. The roars that greeted that goal were deafening.

I could go on and on about the lad. Last May, I had Wilf McGuinness as my guest at our yearly dinner. We spent most of the evening talking about Duncan as Wilf was his understudy. We recalled so much, especially times at The Galleon Open Air swimming pool in Didsbury during the summer months. He'd be there with Tommy Taylor, David Pegg, Billy Whelan, Bobby Charlton, Wilf, Eddie Colman and they had time for everybody - especially us kids. Duncan had a thick Black Country brogue and his mates used to rib him about it. As the evening got late we both got more emotional. Wilf and I laughed about him, we shed a tear about him, but to be honest they were tears of joy. Duncan as I said was such a wonderful person as well as a great, great player. The word "legend" is bandied about too freely for me in this day and age - one thing though that is for certain; "Colossus", "Legend", "Great", "World Class" would all describe him adequately - but as anybody whoever saw him will tell you; he was all of those words and even more.

Julian Denny

Tom, have you seen the Villa v United 1957 FAC Final DVD which is available via Amazon UK. I've seen it once and put my comments on a separate thread a little while ago. Those coincided quite a bit with KF's views which I found interesting. If you've seen it I'd be very interested to know what you think. Edwards features for most of the game in the role of centre half.

TomClare

Julian Denny said:
Tom, have you seen the Villa v United 1957 FAC Final DVD which is available via Amazon UK. I've seen it once and put my comments on a separate thread a little while ago. Those coincided quite a bit with KF's views which I found interesting. If you've seen it I'd be very interested to know what you think. Edwards features for most of the game in the role of centre half.

Yes I have Julian. Although not one of the "Babes" better games, you couldn't help but see the talent that was in that team. They were on the receiving end of one of the most premeditated, precalculated, acts of violence on a football field that I have ever witnessed - and this just 6 minutes into the game. That it altered the shape of the team for the rest of that game is without doubt. I also believe that it actually led to the demise of Ray Wood as a top class goalkeeper. The following season he was never the same and Sir Matt went out and bought Harry Gregg in the December of that year. I don't think Ray Wood played First Division football again after that.

Duncan as you said, had to drop back to centre half and spent all but the last 10 minutes of that game in a purely defensive role - something that definitely restricted Unitted's attacking threat. But you could still see his power, his ability, and his exhuberance for the game. Interestingly, when you watch the McParland/Wood incident, it shows clearly one of the few times that I ever saw Duncan incensed on the field. He strides over to McParland and stands menacingly above him as he lay on the turf hands covering his face. Duncan obviously counted to ten before the red mist descended and thought better of it.

Jackie Blanchflower was outstanding that day and gave a performance that many a goalkeeper would have been proud of. Just a few years before he died, I was able to talk to him at a Dinner at Old Trafford about that day and he told me that he was just so nervous and frightened about letting the team down. His actual words were; "I was shitting myself!" Wonderful man, great player and one who suffered a lot of adversity after the tragedy, but still never lost his lovely sense of humour.

Both Byrne and Foulkes did well that day - two startling opposites. Big Bill, tough, uncompromising and never feared to put his foot in; Roger, just such a cultured player and a great leader as well as a sportsman to the end. He gave a captain's performance that day as he tried to inspire his young team around him. I'll never forget watching him as he rounded up the United players after the game was over, and led them in the applause for the Villa team as they went up to receive the FA Cup. It must have stuck in his craw to do it after the injustice that they had suffered. Great player, great man, great captain, and a leader unquestioned.

Eddie Colman's display gave you glimpses of just how talented he was. Some terrific little cameo's in that game and showed how well he could pass the ball. Bobby Charlton was just coming onto the scene and had made his debut that season. He made the Cup Final team because of injury to Dennis Viollet. But again, there was some wonderful cameo's of him and you could see the player that was to blossom later in his play. Tommy Taylor led the line with courage but in all honesty, he never got the service that his game required that day. He tried so hard and how he scored his goal I just don't know because he was going backwards when he headed the ball.

If there was a disappointment for me in that game, it was the fact that the two wingers, Johnny Berry and David Pegg, didn't function as effectively as they could have. They had so much ability and had laid on so many goals throughout that season. Wembley, and the reorganization of the team after the Wood incident seemed to affect them and as the game wore on they tired in my opinion.

The man of the match for United in this game for me, was Billy Whelan. His work rate and skill, was there in abundance for all to see. A tremendously gifted player, who if anything, suffered from an inferiority complex. His touch on the ball and his dribbling skills were so wonderful to watch. His record is astounding when you look at it - 79 League appearances at first team level and 43 goals scored - and this from a position that today would be termed midfield. Interesting to see that the triumverate of Whelan, Taylor, and Viollet, made a total of 504 League appearances between them and scored an incredible 314 goals(Taylor 166/112 and Viollet 259/159).

Sir Matt used to tell a tale about that Final. At half time, with the score still 0-0, he was considering sending Ray Wood back in goal. So he asked the physio, Ted Dalton, to take Wood outside of the stadium and throw some balls at him to see how his reactions were. They went outside onto a grassy patch and Dalton started throwing balls at Wood. Unfortunately, his vision was blurred and he hardly caught a one. Just down from where this was taking place, some young kids who had been playing football on the grass amongst themselves were watching with interest. As Dalton went to take ray back to the dressing room, one of the kids approached them and said; "Mister, you can come and play with me and my mates if you like." Just yards away, inside England's premier stadium, 100,000 people were waiting to see if Wood would return to the field of play in goal - and here he was being offered a kickabout on the grass outside!

I get emotional just watching that dvd because at least there is something there for people to see, even though, as I said, it was not one of their better performances. It's sad that some of their best performances - particularly the game against Bilbao at Maine Road (which I still consider to be the greatest game of football that I have ever seen) are not captured either on video or dvd.

For those interested, there is a dvd around entitled "And Then Came Munich" which shows some nice film of Duncan and is centred all around his life. A book also well worth reading is Bill Foulkes' biography "Manchester United and Beyond" which has some wonderful photographs in it of the "Babes".

I did read the book "The Lost Babes" but wasn't too happy with it. The writer embroidred quite a few things and definiately misinterpreted some of the things told to him by former players. I also find it sad that Harry Gregg still has a snipe at various people and find it uncalled for.

topper

Clown
TomClare said:
Yes I have Julian. Although not one of the "Babes" better games, you couldn't help but see the talent that was in that team. They were on the receiving end of one of the most premeditated, precalculated, acts of violence on a football field that I have ever witnessed - and this just 6 minutes into the game. That it altered the shape of the team for the rest of that game is without doubt. I also believe that it actually led to the demise of Ray Wood as a top class goalkeeper. The following season he was never the same and Sir Matt went out and bought Harry Gregg in the December of that year. I don't think Ray Wood played First Division football again after that.

Duncan as you said, had to drop back to centre half and spent all but the last 10 minutes of that game in a purely defensive role - something that definitely restricted Unitted's attacking threat. But you could still see his power, his ability, and his exhuberance for the game. Interestingly, when you watch the McParland/Wood incident, it shows clearly one of the few times that I ever saw Duncan incensed on the field. He strides over to McParland and stands menacingly above him as he lay on the turf hands covering his face. Duncan obviously counted to ten before the red mist descended and thought better of it.

Jackie Blanchflower was outstanding that day and gave a performance that many a goalkeeper would have been proud of. Just a few years before he died, I was able to talk to him at a Dinner at Old Trafford about that day and he told me that he was just so nervous and frightened about letting the team down. His actual words were; "I was shitting myself!" Wonderful man, great player and one who suffered a lot of adversity after the tragedy, but still never lost his lovely sense of humour.

Both Byrne and Foulkes did well that day - two startling opposites. Big Bill, tough, uncompromising and never feared to put his foot in; Roger, just such a cultured player and a great leader as well as a sportsman to the end. He gave a captain's performance that day as he tried to inspire his young team around him. I'll never forget watching him as he rounded up the United players after the game was over, and led them in the applause for the Villa team as they went up to receive the FA Cup. It must have stuck in his craw to do it after the injustice that they had suffered. Great player, great man, great captain, and a leader unquestioned.

Eddie Colman's display gave you glimpses of just how talented he was. Some terrific little cameo's in that game and showed how well he could pass the ball. Bobby Charlton was just coming onto the scene and had made his debut that season. He made the Cup Final team because of injury to Dennis Viollet. But again, there was some wonderful cameo's of him and you could see the player that was to blossom later in his play. Tommy Taylor led the line with courage but in all honesty, he never got the service that his game required that day. He tried so hard and how he scored his goal I just don't know because he was going backwards when he headed the ball.

If there was a disappointment for me in that game, it was the fact that the two wingers, Johnny Berry and David Pegg, didn't function as effectively as they could have. They had so much ability and had laid on so many goals throughout that season. Wembley, and the reorganization of the team after the Wood incident seemed to affect them and as the game wore on they tired in my opinion.

The man of the match for United in this game for me, was Billy Whelan. His work rate and skill, was there in abundance for all to see. A tremendously gifted player, who if anything, suffered from an inferiority complex. His touch on the ball and his dribbling skills were so wonderful to watch. His record is astounding when you look at it - 79 League appearances at first team level and 43 goals scored - and this from a position that today would be termed midfield. Interesting to see that the triumverate of Whelan, Taylor, and Viollet, made a total of 504 League appearances between them and scored an incredible 314 goals(Taylor 166/112 and Viollet 259/159).

Sir Matt used to tell a tale about that Final. At half time, with the score still 0-0, he was considering sending Ray Wood back in goal. So he asked the physio, Ted Dalton, to take Wood outside of the stadium and throw some balls at him to see how his reactions were. They went outside onto a grassy patch and Dalton started throwing balss at Wood. Unfortunately, his vision was blurred and he hardly caught a one. Just down from where this was taking place, some young kids who had been playing football on the grass amongst themselves were watching with interest. As Dalton went to take ray back to the dressing room, one of the kids approached them and said; "Mister, you can come and play with me and my mates if you like." Just yards away, inside England's premier stadium, 100,000 people were waiting to see if Wood would return to the field of play in goal - and here he was being offered a kickabout on the grass outside!

I get emotional just watching that dvd because at least there is something there for people to see, even though, as I said, it was not one of their better performances. It's sad that some of their best performances - particularly the game against Bilbao at Maine Road (which I still consider to be the greatest game of football that I have ever seen) are not captured either on video or dvd.

For those interested, there is a dvd around entitled "And Then Came Munich" which shows some nice film of Duncan and is centred all around his life. A book also well worth reading is Bill Foulkes' biography "Manchester United and Beyond" which has some wonderful photographs in it of the "Babes".

I did read the book "The Lost Babes" but wasn't too happy with it. The writer embroidred quite a few things and definiately misinterpreted some of the things told to him by former players. I also find it sad that Harry Gregg still has a snipe at various people and find it uncalled for.

I saw a couple of Gregg interviews on TV and yes he did have a gripe against people and sounds a very bitter man but in one or two instances he did have a point - particularly concerning the Club's treatment of the survivors in later months/years

Julian Denny

Wonderful summation Tom - thanks a lot. I agree with your comments on the game. I would add that you have to see it in the context of what the game was like in those days - after all it took place 50 years ago. That may not be easy for younger fans to appreciate, particularly as they have been brought up with the frenetic and precise game we are now used to. Having said that United in those days were a "modern" team in the way they played and the movement at times is terrific. Of course the game is far from a classic and Villa were very successful spoilers.

I agree you can see a lot of the talent for which these great players were famous for. How much better they would have got both individually and as a team we can only speculate on. I disagree slightly about Johnny Berry. Although generally well marshalled, he does show glimpses of his renowned elusive dribbling. I think when Wood came back on the right he was forced to move inside which didn't suit his game. David Pegg on the other hand does not have one of his better games. As I said in the other thread, he looked in this game quite similar in style to John Aston who of course was to have one most memorable evening eleven years later on the same pitch.

Roger Byrne was not only a great player but a great leader. As you say, what a wonderful gesture at the end to applaud Villa in the way they did. But that's what they were about - they were great sportsmen as well as being great players. There was a fantastic spirit in that team.

Billy Foulkes, well he was as tough as they come. A quality which was to stand United in very good stead in the aftermath of the tragic event just under nine months later

Agree about Bobby Charlton, aged 19 and Liam Whelan, aged 22. They both show more than just a glimpse of very special emerging talent. Tommy was the epitome, or proto type if you like, of the modern centre forward. Popping up on the right and the left and down the middle. No real service, as you say.
Eddie Colman also shows why he was rated so highly. Blanchflower does a wonderful job in goal and I was interested in your story about what he had to say about it. When Wood goes back in goal at the end, you do see a glimpse of what a very good footballing centre half he was.

I cannot add to your comments about Duncan except to say the enthusiasm with which he grabs that ball towards the end to take the corner from which TT scores says it all.

Great story about Wood and Dalton.

TomClare

topper said:
I saw a couple of Gregg interviews on TV and yes he did have a gripe against people and sounds a very bitter man but in one or two instances he did have a point - particularly concerning the Club's treatment of the survivors in later months/years
Topper, I understand his bitterness and probably what caused it. To listen to Harry, he'd have you think that he knew them boys all of his life. He didn't - he'd been at the club just seven weeks when the accident happened and had played with them in just 12/13 games. He was a tremendous 'keeper and when he signed, he must have been looking forward to playing in a team that would have surely won trophies galore. In the blink of an eye, it was all taken from him and that alone must have devastated him. But he's carried it with him all these years. His snipes at Bill Foulkes, Bobby Charlton, and even Wilf McGuinness are distasteful in my eyes.

The Club probably could have done more and I wouldn't disagree with that. However, they were different times and bear no relation to the modern day. They were bound by rules and they did restrict the Club in a lot of ways. They could only pay the families of those who perished, or the players that had their careers curtailed, a maximum of just around 9000 pounds from the Insurance. That was still a considerable sum back then. The players who survived were not entitled to any payments, not even from the Lord Mayor's Fund that was established immediately after the disaster. Even the families of the deceased were strangled by the Charity rules as any payments made, affected the Insurance payout. It was in reality a catch 22 situation.