Big Man John Terry on MNF: What made Jose Mourinho so special?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Found it, not many changes though think I would have found a plc for Cantona.

Between the sticks, he's opted for United's current No.1 David De Gea. In front of a back four which contains Sky Sports duo Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher, as well as Rio Ferdinand and Patrice Evra.

In midfield, he's chosen Cristiano Ronaldo, Steven Gerrard, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs, with Wayne Rooney and Thierry Henry spearheading the attack.

http://www.sportbible.com/football/...xi-includes-eight-man-united-players-20171219
to be fair I think it was mostly picked based on player's he's actually faced a lot in his career, hence no Cantona, Shearer etc.

Red_Aaron

When you read what the likes of Rio had to say about Moyes, it's clear that regardless of any errors he did or didn't make, he didn't have a chance from the off as the players egos were just never going to listen to him. The most striking thing for me is there is no hint from Rio of accepting any blame himself for basically just deliberately being disruptive and toxic to his own manager. It takes a big character and a lot of self confidence/belief to stamp your authority on that kind of attitude.
whilst i don't disagree that the players could've supported Moyes more or at least had some more self awareness as to the role they played in his failure, i think Moyes problem was he immediately threw out all the backroom staff.

The original staff were people that Rio and all the other players trusted and who had proven their quality through the success, when Moyes throws them out in favour of his no-mark pals they're already on the backfoot and having to impress the squad from the very first session or risk losing their support right from the off. It was Moyes biggest error for me (in hindsight though)

BigTimeCharlie

Inter v Barca spring to mind?

A set of journey men v arguably the greatest team ever with gods gift as manager.

One match of many. How about Porto v Man Utd over 2 legs he outwitted a great manager, possibly the greatest. The players he had were lesser than our team back then too.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
whilst i don't disagree that the players could've supported Moyes more or at least had some more self awareness as to the role they played in his failure, i think Moyes problem was he immediately threw out all the backroom staff.

The original staff were people that Rio and all the other players trusted and who had proven their quality through the success, when Moyes throws them out in favour of his no-mark pals they're already on the backfoot and having to impress the squad from the very first session or risk losing their support right from the off. It was Moyes biggest error for me (in hindsight though)
Van Gaal did the same thing though and Mourinho brought in his own people too. I also doubt Pep didn't change things at City.

You also have to consider that the two most noted backroom staff at the time were Phelan and Muelensteen. Both of whom come across as massive idiots who thought they knew better than Moyes. You can't really manage and command respect form the players if your own staff are unwilling to listen to you.

Moyes just never really had the players respect from the start for me. I don't think it would have mattered who he did or didn't bring in. He just doesn't have the persona to pull it off at a top club. The likes of Jose and Pep are full of self confidence, confidence in their gameplan, etc...but also have authority to go with it. They say something and you can get on board with it. Moyes came out with things like "we'll try to make it difficult for them"...straight from the off he was giving out uncertainty.

LVG had the authority but not the direction or confidence. One minute he is saying "if the players do what I say we will win" the next he is moaning about how it's impossible until he has the right players.

LoneStar

Despite the recent criticism of his style (some from me too), there is no other manager I would trust to win us the title in the coming years. Point wise, we have been amazing this season. If he changes his tactics in the big matches and recruits properly in the summer, we could be challenging on all fronts, CL included.

Enigma_87

You know who
Good read that. Hope he keeps the intensity and passion. It's his driving force.

Smithy_123

I've heard similar things about Mourinho plenty of times. I'm more interested in why it all went wrong a couple of years ago.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best

A set of journey men v arguably the greatest team ever with gods gift as manager.

One match of many. How about Porto v Man Utd over 2 legs he outwitted a great manager, possibly the greatest. The players he had were lesser than our team back then too.
So you are saying he is infallible

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
Terry obviously has a bit of man crush for Mourinho but it's obvious that Mourinho's regime behind the scenes brought him a lot of success at every club he has managed.

salford_

Terry obviously has a bit of man crush for Mourinho but it's obvious that Mourinho's regime behind the scenes brought him a lot of success at every club he has managed.
Yeh, youre right. He has changed now though i think, more confrontational now. If anything, i think people/players find him more tiresome now. Explains a lot of the behind the scenes stuff which we heard of when he leaves teams

Womp

idiot
Yeh, youre right. He has changed now though i think, more confrontational now. If anything, i think people/players find him more tiresome now. Explains a lot of the behind the scenes stuff which we heard of when he leaves teams
I'd say he's lost some of his passion, but in regards to his methods etc. I don't think so. Terry himself said he was the same in his second Chelsea stint, I don't see him changing so drastically in two years.

salford_

I'd say he's lost some of his passion, but in regards to his methods etc. I don't think so. Terry himself said he was the same in his second Chelsea stint, I don't see him changing so drastically in two years.
I do believe he has lost some passion, in 10yrs time he will be retired, maybe sooner IMO.

Prime Mourinho was Porto, Chelsea 04-06 and Inter. That was him at his best, fresh and a machine who you'd put your mortgage on winning the title. It's the drama which started following him people got sick of. and i think players tire of it, too. If he can stop the hypocrisy and paranoia, i think he would win people over again

Jaybomb

Had to laugh at his non-Chelsea PL XI... seriously, Jamie Carragher? Talk about sucking up.

Clearly he didn’t want to name Neville without leaving Jamie out. And that is embarrassing cause Carragher wasn’t in the same league.

But then again, what do you expect from a classless wanker like JT. Even he knows the likes of Vidic, Stam, Campbell, Kompany and others shit on Carragher.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
Found it, not many changes though think I would have found a plc for Cantona.

Between the sticks, he's opted for United's current No.1 David De Gea. In front of a back four which contains Sky Sports duo Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher, as well as Rio Ferdinand and Patrice Evra.

In midfield, he's chosen Cristiano Ronaldo, Steven Gerrard, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs, with Wayne Rooney and Thierry Henry spearheading the attack.

http://www.sportbible.com/football/...xi-includes-eight-man-united-players-20171219
Nice!
I hate him less now.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Are you trying to say Lingard has been a stand out?
Your efforts to turn every thread into a Lingard hate thing is pretty embarrassing. Please stop it.

redIndianDevil

He just got lucky with an offside decision.

BigTimeCharlie

Don't really care what he did, my point is just that he didn't "outwit" SAF
He has constantly pissed on SAF's parade much to my unhappiness. In fact I struggle to remember the amount of wins we have actually had against Mourinho under a SAF lead team, if any.