Big Man John Terry on MNF: What made Jose Mourinho so special?

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
Some nice snippets on how our leader opperates with his management skills.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/11176960/mnf-what-made-jose-so-special

John Terry gives a fascinating insight into Jose Mourinho's management style, and what made him so special at Chelsea.

Terry played under Mourinho during his two spells as Chelsea boss, winning three Premier League titles as the Blues began to dominate English football.

Speaking on Monday Night Football, former Chelsea defender revealed how Mourinho's coaching tactics, man management style and character helped make him so successful...

"He did everything"
He was the best manager, and the best coach as well. He did everything.

He was the first one to come and revolutionise it at Chelsea. He would be the first in, 8am, he'd be the one setting the cones out, and you'd come in as players and he'd be out there, if it was pouring with rain, getting his session organised.

"He'd go absolutely berserk"

He brought three young boys in as ball boys, every time the ball went out of play we had a ball back in instantly, and if that was a bad pass, or a bad roll from one of his staff, he would stop the session and go absolutely berserk at one of his staff.

And to a point, it was pretty embarrassing for them, but his standards were so high, and he demanded from everyone. The players, staff, people inside the medical team, everyone at the football club. He was on everything. His intensity and attention to detail was incredible.

"Footballs on the first session"
He 100 per cent changed the way I thought about football. In his first session, the lads came in and we thought: "Wow, that's a proper session."

It was pre-season, and the first thing he said was to get the balls out. And for our generation, it was unheard of to get footballs out in the first pre-season session.

He said you never see a pianist running around a piano, you see a pianist work on the piano. But we probably covered more distance with the ball than we would have done without it! Psychologically he had us.

"When I speak, you listen"
He was the same in the second spell. The intensity, his presence. You felt it there, if someone was messing about in the warm up, or kicking the ball when he was speaking, he'd say: "When I speak the ball stays still, you listen to me." He was the boss.

"He got the last bit out of everyone"
When Rafa [Benitez] was at Chelsea, he didn't play me, and Jose took over again. He got on the phone to me and said I'm his main man, work hard in the summer.

I remember being out for dinner with my wife and kids, I had a glass of wine, I got off the phone with him, and then I said no more wine, that's it, I'm training two or three times a day. He knew how to suck every last bit out of everyone.

SER19

Taking bets on when this thread descends into absolute chaos. I'm going with by post 28.

Some good stuff there, he's clearly a fantastic manager and among the worlds best. Would love to get at least two more seasons from him I'm sure he'd deliver a title in that time, more confidently than I could say about any potential replacement. Still, can't fully enjoy it as it's john terry talking :lol:

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
It is amazing that it was once customary for clubs to have training sessions that did not involve the ball.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Every manager that works in top level (I still consider a 19th placed team manager top level) would have their own sets of skills.

Discipline/attention to details/man management/time management/tactical skill/task delegation and all. I dont see anything special, these sorts of skills and traits are expected at top level, let alone if you manage top European Team. But how good they are at it is what separates them.

NiceGuyEddie

Makes me wonder how different Jose is today, love to know. Bet he's changed drastically.
Can see him mellowing a bit like SAF did, but can't see why he would change drastically? If anything, people get set in their ways, particularly if those ways are successful.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I was honestly expecting this to be about how Terry made Mourinho what he is.

binary bot
Some nice snippets on how our leader opperates with his management skills.

I remember being out for dinner with my wife and kids, I had a glass of wine, I got off the phone with him, and then I said no more wine, that's it, I'm training two or three times a day. He knew how to suck every last bit out of everyone.
People really over complicate management.

kps88

Makes me wonder how different Jose is today, love to know. Bet he's changed drastically.
Why? Terry mentioned he was the same in his second spell at Chelsea as well.

Crustanoid

So Terry’s endorsing Mourinho. The friend of my enemy is my enemy.....or something. Mourinho out!

Smores

Sounds about right, you can tell the players know that if they give everything then they'll gain Jose's respect. If not they'll be on the sidelines until they do.

BigTimeCharlie

The best and most accomplished manager in the world. He can beat any team at will, unless his players fail him. As a player you wont go onto the pitch in a more perfect frame of mind, the rest is up to the player.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I think the issues appear if the players think they’re too big to be told what to do.
Genuinely think this is one of the biggest things that separate the top managers from the average ones. Actually being able to command the respect of the players.

First thing Pep did at City was take anyone who wasn't up to standard fitness wise and not let them train with the main group. Straight away it tells the players who is going to be in charge if you want to feck about or not do what the manager expects. Sounds similar with Jose...and it'd have been a very brave player to not respect the likes of Sir Alex.

When you read what the likes of Rio had to say about Moyes, it's clear that regardless of any errors he did or didn't make, he didn't have a chance from the off as the players egos were just never going to listen to him. The most striking thing for me is there is no hint from Rio of accepting any blame himself for basically just deliberately being disruptive and toxic to his own manager. It takes a big character and a lot of self confidence/belief to stamp your authority on that kind of attitude.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Genuinely think this is one of the biggest things that separate the top managers from the average ones. Actually being able to command the respect of the players.

First thing Pep did at City was take anyone who wasn't up to standard fitness wise and not let them train with the main group. Straight away it tells the players who is going to be in charge if you want to feck about or not do what the manager expects. Sounds similar with Jose...and it'd have been a very brave player to not respect the likes of Sir Alex.

When you read what the likes of Rio had to say about Moyes, it's clear that regardless of any errors he did or didn't make, he didn't have a chance from the off as the players egos were just never going to listen to him. The most striking thing for me is there is no hint from Rio of accepting any blame himself for basically just deliberately being disruptive and toxic to his own manager. It takes a big character and a lot of self confidence/belief to stamp your authority on that kind of attitude.
It was weird listening to Rio as a pundit on the West Ham game last weekend. He was quite gushing about Moyes, as though the United episode never happened.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It was weird listening to Rio as a pundit on the West Ham game last weekend. He was quite gushing about Moyes, as though the United episode never happened.
That's the PFA/LMA mutual back slapping fraternity for you...
How many times have you ever heard a player or manager echoing the supporters, in calling someone crap..?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
No wonder he's miserable now. Years of sucking everything out of everyone must be exhausting.

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
"He did everything"
He was the best manager, and the best coach as well. He did everything.

He was the first one to come and revolutionise it at Chelsea. He would be the first in, 8am, he'd be the one setting the cones out, and you'd come in as players and he'd be out there, if it was pouring with rain, getting his session organised.

"He'd go absolutely berserk"

He brought three young boys in as ball boys, every time the ball went out of play we had a ball back in instantly, and if that was a bad pass, or a bad roll from one of his staff, he would stop the session and go absolutely berserk at one of his staff.

And to a point, it was pretty embarrassing for them, but his standards were so high, and he demanded from everyone. The players, staff, people inside the medical team, everyone at the football club. He was on everything. His intensity and attention to detail was incredible.

"Footballs on the first session"
He 100 per cent changed the way I thought about football. In his first session, the lads came in and we thought: "Wow, that's a proper session."

It was pre-season, and the first thing he said was to get the balls out. And for our generation, it was unheard of to get footballs out in the first pre-season session.

He said you never see a pianist running around a piano, you see a pianist work on the piano. But we probably covered more distance with the ball than we would have done without it! Psychologically he had us.

"When I speak, you listen"
He was the same in the second spell. The intensity, his presence. You felt it there, if someone was messing about in the warm up, or kicking the ball when he was speaking, he'd say: "When I speak the ball stays still, you listen to me." He was the boss.
Great find, as a Chelsea fan I only knew he had good attention to detail and a way of motivating them yet reading that you get great insight and see something more.

I thought one of the early criticisms at Utd was that he no longer took training sessions, is that still the case.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Nice to read. That's always been fairly apparent about Jose. He's a manager who works you hard but usually gets as much discipline and effort but out of you as possible. And obviously trains the team to be super effective in most areas.

This a bit off though.
The best and most accomplished manager in the world. He can beat any team at will, unless his players fail him. As a player you wont go onto the pitch in a more perfect frame of mind, the rest is up to the player.
So he can't beat any team at will then?

tomaldinho1

It is amazing that it was once customary for clubs to have training sessions that did not involve the ball.
Pre season used to just be cardio, lots of lots of cardio.

It's no wonder England has generally lagged behind technically

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Mourinho is a dinosaur manager that only focuses on defensive shape and doesn't coach with the ball??? Isn't that what the experts said on this forum???

izec

Mourinho is a dinosaur manager that only focuses on defensive shape and doesn't coach with the ball??? Isn't that what the experts said on this forum???
Yeah, hoofball. Whats the point in training with the ball when we hoof it around

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
Maybe, maybe not.

Drogba certainly improved under his tenure.

What's the theory on Linguard's recent improvement?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I saw it live. Terry comes across as a bellend (no surprises) and the fact that he refers to himself as "JT" makes it even worse, but he clearly has insane respect for Mourinho that he didn't for any other manager they discussed on the show.

He also quite surprisingly made a premier league all time XI of almost all Utd players (Chelsea players weren't allowed), to be fair to him.

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
I saw it live. Terry comes across as a bellend (no surprises) and the fact that he refers to himself as "JT" makes it even worse, but he clearly has insane respect for Mourinho that he didn't for any other manager they discussed on the show.

He also quite surprisingly made a premier league all time XI of almost all Utd players (Chelsea players weren't allowed), to be fair to him.
It would be good to see his UTD XI if you have a link.

izec

United fan, at least when he was younger

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Did he say anything interesting about what went wrong for Jose at Chelsea, especially in the second spell when the players seemed to down-tools so dramatically?

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
I
Found it, not many changes though think I would have found a plc for Cantona.

Between the sticks, he's opted for United's current No.1 David De Gea. In front of a back four which contains Sky Sports duo Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher, as well as Rio Ferdinand and Patrice Evra.

In midfield, he's chosen Cristiano Ronaldo, Steven Gerrard, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs, with Wayne Rooney and Thierry Henry spearheading the attack.

http://www.sportbible.com/football/...xi-includes-eight-man-united-players-20171219

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Maybe, maybe not.

Drogba certainly improved under his tenure.

What's the theory on Linguard's recent improvement?
Lingard has went from totally shite to still shite if that’s what you’re asking.

Womp

idiot
For me he recently looked quite useful in the position I would have expected Miki-T to play.
He's been playing extremely well, been one of, if not our best performer in more than a few games. Some people on here just refuse to give him any credit because they've already made their mind up on the player.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Great read. What most fascinates me about Mourinho is, when things go right for him, he can bring out amazing things from otherwise average players.

Almost all of Porto squad were at their peak only under him (basically everyone apart from Deco, Carvalho and Baía), and some players actually looked very mediocre after him.

Lets not forget that a guy called Diego Milito was, at some point, UEFA player of the year, and was seriously being discussed as a possible Balon d'or winner. He was a 31 year old player with an unremarkable career, only 4 goals in few appearances for his national team, and that only reached a big club for the first time (Inter) when he was already 30.

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
Great read. What most fascinates me about Mourinho is, when things go right for him, he can bring out amazing things from otherwise average players.

Almost all of Porto squad were at their peak only under him (basically everyone apart from Deco, Carvalho and Baía), and some players actually looked very mediocre after him.

Lets not forget that a guy called Diego Milito was, at some point, UEFA player of the year, and was seriously being discussed as a possible Balon d'or winner. He was a 31 year old player with an unremarkable career, only 4 goals in few appearances for his national team, and that only reached a big club for the first time (Inter) when he was already 30.
Good point re Millito or was it Rambo under cover ha!

Theonas

Scout

The brilliance of Mourinho at least in the first half of his career is exactly that. That spirit that teams sometimes can get when they are reduced to 10 men and they play out of their skin; resilient and would die for the cause, he somehow could bottle that spirit over 2 full seasons.