Big moves for big players that turned out badly?

baskinginthesun

I would argue Woodgate and Owen to Madrid that turned out badly.

What about Hughes to Barcelona?

Alberto Aquilani to Liverpool has to be a pretty bad move as well.

Haddock

Drenthe and Van Der Vaart were hardly big moves. Drenthe went for 11m pounds and Van Der Vaart 13m. By constrast, Robinho went to City for 32m the following season.
Big moves for big players. It doesn't say big money.

Drenthe was the U21 championship's best player and Van der Vaart was a Dutch international coming off a few very impressive seasons with Hamburg. But somehow Robinho moving to Man City from the world's biggest football club is a big move?
On the other hand everyone laughed at Paulinho when he signed for Barca but if I recall correctly he actually did pretty well. What happened to him afterwards?
He went back to China.

Can add Van der Sar's move to Juventus which ended in failure. Nuri Sahin's transfer to Madrid was a disaster. A few years prior to that Christopher Metzelder who was a starter for Germany and Dortmund went to Madrid and bombed. There was a chap named Sebastian Diesler, incredibly highly rated midfielder who went to Bayern from Hertha Berlin and it all ended very badly.

SAFMUTD

Nope. Suarez and Ter Stegen are the last good signings we made, everyone since then has been a failure for a variety of reasons (injuries, confidence, team chemistry, general lack of talent).

The post right above mine (@SAFMUTD) has summarized our transfer business in these last few years nicely. Flop after flop after flop.
Arthur, De Jong, Umtitti, Lenglet sure have to be seen as good signings, I would go as critical as all signings have been failures.

Bobski

Maybe they aren't duds.

Maybe Barca's dressing room is cliquey and there are some toxic personalities there that don't like outsiders or newcomers.

Maybe there really are more than a club.
I get the feeling that Messi has little patience with those who go off message and try too much individual play. In hindsight Barca was a bad move for Dembele stylistically. I think he is a great talent, dynamic, two footed, capable of great imagination and creativity. He is erratic though, wastes a lot of ball trying outrageous things, hard to get away with that at Barca where give the ball to Messi is nearly always the correct choice.

If he returns fully from injury Utd should be looking at him as an alternative to Sancho, the PL could suit him better than Spain.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Mendieta is the first that came to mind for me. Was absolutely world class for Valencia even when playing out of position on the right wing. Completely lost his mojo in Italy and even back in Spain at Barca he was just a shell of himself. He was the heartbeat and best player in a great Valencia side. I remember when he left thinking that may be it for them but they actually won two leagues in the three years after he left.
Lovely player. His goal against Atlético Madrid is one of my favourite demonstrations of individual brilliance

Valencia were breathtaking at times, this game against Barcelona is a classic, not to mention the 6-0 demolition of Real Madrid .
As a fervent admirer of Valencia, I wasn't too pleased to see him leave. However, Pablo Aimar was a joy to watch, and to bring this back to Mendieta, what makes the comparison with Griezmann even more appropriate is the fact when Lazio made the acquisition he came the 6th most expensive signing in the world. Griezmann is currently the 5th most expensive signing.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

The last great talent Hungary produced, Lajos Detari moving for a world record fee of something like 6 or 7 million from Eintracht Frankfurt to Olympiakos in 1988. The deal turned out to be extremely shady and Olympiakos owner had to flee the country for it and other financial transgressions like bribing politicians.

While he didn't play badly there, coasting to over 30 goals in two seasons from attacking midfield, the fact he accepted a move to Greece in the first place showed Detari's lack of ambition and it wasn't much surprise when he resurfaced in Serie A way out of shape compared to what he had been like earlier in his career and didn't fulfil his potential.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Barthez to us.

Torres to Chelsea.

Hazard to Madrid (so far).

Robinho to City.

Kaka to Madrid.

Denilson to Betis (the most expensive player in 1998).

Didi to Madrid (maybe).

Robben to Madrid (35m in 2007 was a big fee).
Prosinečki to Madrid as well.

Stan Collymore sold by Liverpool to Aston Villa.

Last edited:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Denilson to Betis for £22m in 1998, world record fee at the time I think.

Woeful piece of business!

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
On the other hand everyone laughed at Paulinho when he signed for Barca but if I recall correctly he actually did pretty well. Is there any specific reason he went back after just a year?
Guangzhou offered 42 million for a 30 year old and we couldn't refuse that offer.

He scored some nice goals, and he was a meme, but his overall play was never good enough for Barca midfield standards.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
Torres to Chelsea. Shevchenko and Morata as well. So many Chelsea strikers not living up to it.

manutddjw

I never understood why Tottenham never got any flak for Erik Lamela. He was signed for a big fee by Tottenham standards and was also seen as a Bale replacement.

Had we signed him under similar circumstances he’d of been branded a flop after the first season and been subject of ridicule by every dickhead with a media badge.

thepolice123

Big moves for big players. It doesn't say big money.

Drenthe was the U21 championship's best player and Van der Vaart was a Dutch international coming off a few very impressive seasons with Hamburg. But somehow Robinho moving to Man City from the world's biggest football club is a big move?
I don't know what is your definition of a big move and a big player. But if we follow the OP of using Griezmann to Barcelona as an example, then Van der Vaart and Drenthe don't exactly tally.

I can give you Van Der Vaart but his stock had fallen quite considerably after spending 3 years at Hamburg. When he finally left Hamburg I think only Real were in it for him.

Drenthe was just overrated and hardly a big player.

Robinho was one of Real's best player and his transfer at that time was a big move and a statement by City. It was almost like PSG signing Neymar iirc.

RedDevilRoshi

Roberto Soldado to Spurs. Goal machine in Spain but just couldn’t cut it at Spurs.

Gazza

Controversial, but Alan Shearer to Newcastle was not a great move for one of this country's best ever strikers.

I know it was his hometown club and I am sure he feels a ton of pride for what he did there. But at the time of the move, Newcastle looked to be on the up and up, had just finished 2nd and it was a fair bet that they would continue to do well. I think he joined Newcastle with the perspective that this was his local club AND they'd be in a position to challenge for trophies. No way did he think he was jettisoning his chances of winning any more silverware.

Within a year, Arsenal had surpassed Newcastle as United's closest challengers and Shearer was playing with 40-year-old John Barnes, Stuart Pearce, Timuri Ketsbaia and the like. He scored loads of goals 1996-2004ish, but his time at Newcastle is otherwise forgettable for the larger football world.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I get the feeling that Messi has little patience with those who go off message and try too much individual play. In hindsight Barca was a bad move for Dembele stylistically. I think he is a great talent, dynamic, two footed, capable of great imagination and creativity. He is erratic though, wastes a lot of ball trying outrageous things, hard to get away with that at Barca where give the ball to Messi is nearly always the correct choice.

If he returns fully from injury Utd should be looking at him as an alternative to Sancho, the PL could suit him better than Spain.
Watched Dembele at Dortmund and he reminded me so much of Sterling at Liverpool and in his first 18 months at Man. City. Capable matchwinner but also equally as likely to fall over his own feet when through on goal.

Think he needs a manager like Pep Guardiola to really improve him in the final third but the raw talent is there.

Winrar

Guangzhou offered 42 million for a 30 year old and we couldn't refuse that offer.

He scored some nice goals, and he was a meme, but his overall play was never good enough for Barca midfield standards.
Oh ok, that makes sense.

Aidan Azar

Supports
Chelsea
Kepa. Has time on his side but in his short Chelsea career he has refused to be substituted under one manager and dropped for Willy under the other.
Kepa was never a big player, dont think most people had even heard of him until we signed him.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
According to Wiki, Felix only played about 20 games for Benfica before signing for Atletico. After barely half a season, I think you could follow football closely and still not know him.

I bet 99% of football fans would never have heard of Felix.

Dembele only played 32 games himself before Barcelona. A bit more time, but still nothing substantial.

Admittedly, you may have heard of them if you play a lot of Fifa.

Still, they are currently the worst signings in the history of football. Expectations were very high considering the price tags.
If you tuned in to the CL in them seasons then yes most people would know who they are.

Controversial, but Alan Shearer to Newcastle was not a great move for one of this country's best ever strikers.

I know it was his hometown club and I am sure he feels a ton of pride for what he did there. But at the time of the move, Newcastle looked to be on the up and up, had just finished 2nd and it was a fair bet that they would continue to do well. I think he joined Newcastle with the perspective that this was his local club AND they'd be in a position to challenge for trophies. No way did he think he was jettisoning his chances of winning any more silverware.

Within a year, Arsenal had surpassed Newcastle as United's closest challengers and Shearer was playing with 40-year-old John Barnes, Stuart Pearce, Timuri Ketsbaia and the like. He scored loads of goals 1996-2004ish, but his time at Newcastle is otherwise forgettable for the larger football world.
Shearer could have left Newcastle if he felt that way - he had won the PL, and evidently playing for his hometown club was more important to him that guaranteed trophies, that’s commendable and he’s an absolute Newcastle legend as a result, and one of their best ever players. In no way was his move there a failure.

Luke1995

He was so past it even at Madrid in his last seaons not to mention all the fat he gained
He wasn't really past it. His technique and footballing brain remained perfect. He just had lost speed.

For a while at Milan he looked good alongside Kaka, Pirlo and all these guys, then that disaster second big knee injury happened...

I'll always wonder what he could have achieved if he remained there for longer.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
He wasn't really past it. His technique and footballing brain remained perfect. He just had lost speed.

For a while at Milan he looked good alongside Kaka, Pirlo and all these guys, then that disaster second big knee injury happened...

And his body shape changed every time he came back from an injury

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Shocked Anderson and Hargreaves haven't been mentioned yet.

Hargreaves I'll give some credit to due to injuries but it was a big move as he was rated as one of England's best performing players at the time. Somebody mentioned Diesler above and he had similar issues for Bayern. Anderson was a prodigious talent who sadly couldn't keep out of the fridge.

Gazza

Shearer could have left Newcastle if he felt that way - he had won the PL, and evidently playing for his hometown club was more important to him that guaranteed trophies, that’s commendable and he’s an absolute Newcastle legend as a result, and one of their best ever players. In no way was his move there a failure.
Meh, I already prefaced my post with all that Local Hero stuff. What you said there doesn’t change anything - no way did he think Newcastle were gonna be so mediocre over his time there when he joined. In terms of a great player making full use of his abilities, then of course he failed to turn his goals into trophies, so yes, his move to Newcastle was not a great one for him in at least one major sense.

Gazza

I mean think about it, Alan Shearer played how many games in the Champions League for Newcastle? Six? Maybe ten? For one of the country’s best ever strikers? Yeah, Newcastle was a great move for him.

RUCK4444

I mean think about it, Alan Shearer played how many games in the Champions League for Newcastle? Six? Maybe ten? For one of the country’s best ever strikers? Yeah, Newcastle was a great move for him.
I agree, Newcastle was a feckin terrible decision for him to make.

I mean, I know he’s Geordie and they had a decent side at the time but feck me what a waste of a premier league career for that caliber of player.

I would put him down as a bottle job but his arrogant persona would suggest he’s not a bottler.
Maybe that arrogance made him think he could win trophies with Newcastle because he believed he was that good.

RUCK4444

Andy Carroll to Liverpool

Benteke to Liverpool

Roberto Aquilani (remember him!) to Liverpool

Joe Allen (Welsh Messi) to Liverpool

Ballotelli to Liverpool

Karius (Hero) to Liverpool

Redcy

I agree, Newcastle was a feckin terrible decision for him to make.

I mean, I know he’s Geordie and they had a decent side at the time but feck me what a waste of a premier league career for that caliber of player.

I would put him down as a bottle job but his arrogant persona would suggest he’s not a bottler.
Maybe that arrogance made him think he could win trophies with Newcastle because he believed he was that good.
This is what I think, I think he could come to Newcastle bang in 0.6-0.7 goals per game and turn them into champions. It really is boys comic stuff. Unfortunately it never materialised for him, and once he was there he could not leave. I can't say I blame him, if I had his ability right now, and United came in for me I would join them, even if I am not sure we can win CL. Was it a bad move? Only in hindsight really.

KetilOwren88

Jaap Stam to Lazio with a five months suspension springs to mind. Adrian Mutu’s Chelsea transfer was also a really bad one with the cocaine incident. Henry to Barcelona was never the same player. Same with Ronaldinho to Milan, even though both were good players still. Maybe a bit harsh on Henry who scored 26 goals and had 10 assists in his best season while winning loads of titles, but in a three year perspective he was never up to his Arsenal levels.

Last edited:

padzilla

Hipster
Another one which didn't turn out badly in terms of success there but was a waste of talent was Beckham going to LA Galaxy, it was the point where being a brand was more important than being a successful footballer. He was still at a level where he could have started regularly for some of the world's biggest clubs and continued to challenge for top honours.

padzilla

Hipster
To be fair, Newcastle had just finished runners-up in the PL and had broken the world transfer record to sign him so at the time he could have been excused for thinking they were the next big thing. It was really Keegan's penchant for quitting unexpectedly, a trait he repeated elsewhere, that cost them most as it was the first indication that decades of instability were around the corner.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Balotelli to Pool
Andy Carroll to Pool
Crouch to Pool

RVN to Real
Kaka to Real

There are clear patterns here.
Crouch really??
He was pretty good for them. Scored a hat trick vs Ars
and lets not forget the Scissor kick meme

thepolice123

He was 30 and essentially done. He was almost 100kg in his final seasons at Real and found it hard to shed the weight due to a combination of mental and physical issues. When Capello came, he got duly dropped for Ruud. His transfer to Milan wasn't exactly a big thing back then, he went for a meagre sum of 8m and people definitely wasn't expecting him to light up the Serie A again.