Big Ron signs Bryan Robson; 1981

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Ron Atkinson signs Bryan Robson for Manchester United in 1981. It was the first successful step the club took to get back to the glory days.

Though it would still be 10+ more years before Robson could get his hands on the League title trophy in 1992/3.

Last edited:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Ron Atkinson signs Bryan Robson for Manchester United in 1981. It was the first successful step the club took to get back to the glory days.

Though it would still be 10 more years before Robson could get his hands on the League title trophy in 1992.

Bryan Robson is my all time hero....but it was 1993 when we won the league and Robbo was more of a bit part by then than him being the first step back. Wasn’t Robson’s fault. He was good enough to play anywhere but he was hardly the first step back to glory

Gazza

Big Ron really well spoken with Des there. I wasn't born when he was our manager, I knew him as the co-commentator on ITV first off. Great video, thanks for sharing!

lysglimt

Scout
The perhaps best United-player during my time as a United-fan. He was the best player in England for 4-5 years in the 80s, and miles better than any other player we had in that period. He could do everything - he was the leader, he was the goalscorer, he could tackle, he could shoot….he had it all.

Bryan Robson is my all time hero....but it was 1993 when we won the league and Robbo was more of a bit part by then than him being the first step back. Wasn’t Robson’s fault. He was good enough to play anywhere but he was hardly the first step back to glory
After the horrific 70’s, including a relegation and just one trophy, his signing absolutely was the first step back:

1983- FA Cup Winners
1984 - Cup Winners Cup Semi final
1985 - FA Cup Winners
1990 - FA Cup Winners
1991 - Cup Winners Cup Winners

Plenty of 2nd and 3rd placed finishes too.

All steps in the right direction after the 70’s

Tribec

Poor reporting by the ITN news crew for the first part of the clip. Yes, we paid WBA close to if not £2m, but that was for both Robson and Moses. No mention what so ever of Remi in any of the interviews which is sad considering that he in his own right was a very good player, who similarly to Owen Hargreaves more recently put in very good performances for the team when fit, but injuries curtailed what could have been a great United career and career in general.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I like this "it's not even a gamble" phrase. Nice video.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
After the horrific 70’s, including a relegation and just one trophy, his signing absolutely was the first step back:

1983- FA Cup Winners
1985 - FA Cup Winners
1990 - FA Cup Winners

Plenty of 2nd and 3rd placed finishes too.

All steps in the right direction after the 70’s
It should have been, it’s criminal with the players we had then that we were as inconsistent and mediocre as we were. Only one half of one season did we look like challenging. We finished 2nd in 88 I think....were never in the race for the title though. I don’t blame Robbo, he was a god. But for me Alex Ferguson was the first step back. 12 years is too long in football to be considered a step back. I’d say the Doc and some of the signings then were the steps out of the 70s. Robson was a missed opportunity with a world class player. A few cup wins is ok, but with players like Robson,Hughes,whiteside and McGrath, that’s four world class players just there.

Champagne Football

I remember being 5 years old, the English league was on free TV in those days. I asked my dad who's playing and which team does he support. He said Man Utd are playing, and they are my team even though they're not great these days, they've got this new guy called Robson and he's unbelievable and Man Utd are improving. So from that day I was a Man Utd fan and Robbo was the first player I ever knew of.

Web of Bissaka

1983- FA Cup Winners
1985 - FA Cup Winners
1990 - FA Cup Winners
League positions

With Robbo
81/82 -- 3rd
82/83 -- 3rd
83/84 -- 4th
84/85 -- 4th
85/86 -- 4th

86/87 -- 11th
87/88 -- 2nd
88/89 -- 11th
89/90 -- 13th

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Great player.Unfortunately our squad wasn't deep enough for most of Bryan's career to win the title.Our first 11 was good enough but not the squad.

TheReligion

Abusive

Though it would still be 10+ more years before Robson could get his hands on the League title trophy in 1992/3.

Lovely find mate. Thanks for posting.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I remember being 5 years old, the English league was on free TV in those days. I asked my dad who's playing and which team does he support. He said Man Utd are playing, and they are my team even though they're not great these days, they've got this new guy called Robson and he's unbelievable and Man Utd are improving. So from that day I was a Man Utd fan and Robbo was the first player I ever knew of.
Thats an almost identical story to how I started supported United!!!

I liked my local club Arsenal and was also a glory hunter following Ipswich Town (:lol:) until my dad made me change my mind around the same time as you!

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
"Atkinson wore the anxious look of a man about to spend upwards of £2m buying...another man."

I'm not sure why but that bit at the beginning tickled me. Great vid.

Tel074

My hero as a kid and what a player . Just a pity he wasn't a few years younger when Ferguson started winning trophies . He was unbelievable that night against Barcelona in the Cup Winners Cup final

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
League positions

With Robbo
81/82 -- 3rd
82/83 -- 3rd
83/84 -- 4th
84/85 -- 4th
85/86 -- 4th

86/87 -- 11th
87/88 -- 2nd
88/89 -- 11th
89/90 -- 13th
A bit before my time, but what the heck happened to finish 2nd in between two 11ths!?

Josh 76

Kind of agree.
Growing up in the 80s was a nightmare being a Utd fan. A couple of FA cup wins in 10 years wasn't good enough. We had a better spell under LVG and Mourhino with 3 trophies in 2 years.

black country red

Started watching united about 1974 more regularly about 77 onwards seen some good times and bad good players great players and some poor players but Bryan Robson is head and shoulders the best player I Have ever seen in a united shirt probably post Munich the most complete footballer we have had a total legend of a man

Skills

Snitch
You always have to wonder had we given Big Ron more time, we might've had a manager for 30+ years

Unitedlife

Started watching united about 1974 more regularly about 77 onwards seen some good times and bad good players great players and some poor players but Bryan Robson is head and shoulders the best player I Have ever seen in a united shirt probably post Munich the most complete footballer we have had a total legend of a man
Echo your sentiments exactly.

Started watched United from 1982 and by far he would be the first player on my team sheet from 1982-2020. You can ask Maradona how good he was.

Don't Kill Bill

Amazing to have the career he had with us after he broke his leg twice playing for West Brom.

Falcow

Gazza said he was the only man he knew who could drink 16 pints the night before a game and still put in a MOM performance. Complete legend is Robbo.