Big Sam to Everton

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It's not though, Moyes spectacularly failed at both United and Sunderland and made a mess of the Sociedad job to boot. Allardyce wasn't sacked by either Sunderland or Palace and doesn't look a broken man like Moyes. He's a much safer bet than Moyes post United and Sunderland.
Sam might be slightly better then Moyes, however they both failed miserably in numerous jobs. Yet they keep getting 2nd,3rd,4th chances with the occasional promotion (England for example or West Ham). Many keep mentioning how young managers are not getting a job due to foreign managers. However, no one seem to ask why clubs keep recycling the same local names instead of giving the younger crop a try. I mean, we all know that Big Sam or Moyes will never be anything more then average.

Jacko21

You can be a great coach and not be what United need.... Wenger, Ancelotti, Klopp are great coaches. Would i want them at United? No.
My point being, I take issue with the definition of great and it being attributed to someone like Sam Allardyce. He's a solid manager, not a great manager.

If he's great, then how do we define manager who have actually, you know, won something.

poleglass red

Everton need to stay in PL, simple as. They've a new owner who has shown he will spend the cash if needed, a new stadium on the way. Get Big Sam in, solidify pl status and maybe go after a Silva or whoever at the end of the season.

GBBQ

I'd have him over Moyes and Pardew for sure but after a season where they made a big statement in the transfer market, they are now hiring someone who can halt the slide rather than push on.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
He'll keep them up comfortably enough. Hopefully in due course he can produce a team that plays attractive football.

TheReligion

Abusive
People lauding Big Sam as a footballing great amaze me. It's as if Moyes' time at United has passed them by. Some managers are good at a set few things but not necessarily cut out to take a club to the next level. I think Sam knows his limitations hence him not keeping jobs for long. Helps keep that reputation as Houdini and makes him appealing when a team needs urgent stability/help.

I think he'll keep them out of trouble and upset a few of the big boys at Goodison but I'm positive it's not what Everton had in mind with the millionaire owner bankrolling things off the pitch. Not sure he gives you, or the club, an appealing brand of football.

Kapardin

Heh, just a year ago, they were harboring illusions of attracting Mourinho.:lol:

How the mighty have fallen. Oh well, atleast he will keep them up and I can fully focus on Moyes for laughs.

AndyJ1985

Are you a mediocre manager who has a string of sackings on your cv? Good news! Premier league clubs are lining up to hire you today! Apply now for obscene wages and a hefty payout if/when you get sacked again. Complimentary mouse mat and goodie bag included.

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
I expect come season's end the Everton fans will be a lot happier than the Baggies.

Don't think either manager will be there next season.

Kapardin

Kinda vindicates my claim that the 14 clubs below the top 6 are significantly weaker this season, barring Burnley and Watford.

Dinosaur or inept managers, so makes an already strong City team look practically invincible week in and week out. Though I don't class Sam as a bad manager, he's a steady old hand and much better than Moyes, Hodgson, Pardew and the rest.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Kinda vindicates my claim that the 14 clubs below the top 6 are significantly weaker this season, barring Burnley and Watford.

Dinosaur or inept managers, so makes an already strong City team look practically invincible week in and week out. Though I don't class Sam as a bad manager, he's a steady old hand and much better than Moyes, Hodgson, Pardew and the rest.
How does Big Sam being appointed vindicate that claim?

Chipper

Adulterer.
In what job has Allardyce "failed miserably"?
He's totally useless. Leaving every single club he's ever managed at in a better position than we took over is surely the definition of failure?

Blackpool finished 20th in the 3rd tier when he took over, they'd just finished 3rd when he left
Notts County were 22nd when he took over there, got relegated, came back up and were 2nd when he left
Bolton were 12th in the Championship when appointed, 5th in the Premier League when he left
Newcastle 13th in Premier League ---> 11th
Blackburn 19th ---> 13th
West Ham 20th and relegated ---> 12th
Sunderland 19th ---> 17th
Crystal Palace 17th ---> 14th

Last edited:

Brophs

The One and Only
I would assume that their plan is to get a better manager in the summer and just treat his payoff as some sort of survival bonus. I don't really get appointing him, though. With the squad they have and a couple of additions in Jan, they'll stay up no worries. Hiring Big Sam and allowing him to presumably spend money in the window, only to move him on months later and hope that the new guy fancies the signings, seems a bit daft to me. Obviously they're terrified of getting relegated, but Sam Allardyce isn't the only answer to the question of who'll stop you from going down. I would have thought they'd have figured that out in the almost 6 weeks they've been searching for a new manager.

Peanut Butter

Heh, just a year ago, they were harboring illusions of attracting Mourinho.:lol:

How the mighty have fallen. Oh well, atleast he will keep them up and I can fully focus on Moyes for laughs.
Everton haven't been 'mighty' since the 80s!

Crustanoid

It would be great if, when they ditch him in the summer after he saves them, they unveil Pulis as his replacement.

Sigma

In what job has Allardyce "failed miserably"?
He's totally useless. Leaving every single club he's ever managed at in a better position than we took over is surely the definition of failure?

Blackpool finished 20th in the 3rd tier when he took over, they'd just finished 3rd when he left
Notts County were 22nd when he took over there, got relegated, came back up and were 2nd when he left
Bolton were 12th in the Championship when appointed, 5th in the Premier League when he left
Newcastle 13th in Premier League ---> 11th
Blackburn 19th ---> 13th
West Ham 20th and relegated ---> 12th
Sunderland 19th ---> 17th
Crystal Palace 17th ---> 14th
Agreed. Good manager. Like Pulis, he only gets stick because of the style of his football. But it works, and that's what most people care about (especially the decision makers) care about.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
And after that? Everton will have a bunch of surplus players that their next manager will in all probability want rid of because they've hired someone whose style is totally at odds with Allardyce's.

It's not hipster to want football clubs to show a bit more foresight and adequately scout managers across Europe, that might, just might see them avoid fighting fires every 18 months.

Instead Everton are turning to a manager that has won precisely nothing and whose career has mostly resided at the wrong end of the table - there's a reason for that.

Allardyce will keep them up, he'll organise the defence and sign a striker in January. Beyond that, Everton will achieve little in the way of progress.
He's on an 18-month contract. Everton's goals have to be a bit more short-sighted than you are implying, they are in a real relegation battle this season. If they weren't, I would be saying go after a Marco Silva type as opposed to Big Sam, but if they go down it'll be disastrous and thus their focus at the moment should be staying up, which they have a good chance of doing with Allardyce as opposed to taking a riskier option right now.

Yes, in 18-months time the new manager will probably have a bunch of players on the transfer list and look to rebuild his own squad, but that would be the case now anyway. The only loser here is Everton as they're probably gonna spend money under Big Sam in the next 18-months only for a new manager to come in and gut the squad, but they have a lot of resources now and it'll be worth it if they can establish themselves as a top 8 side again.

Jacko21

Could've just kept Koeman and bought a striker in January - given that the latter is more integral to ensuring their survival.

Easy to forget Everton finished a comfortable 6th in the 16/17 season.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
SSN saying deal agreed and he'll be at the game later.

What do we make of that?

I'm surprised he's got another top job given the England fiasco but I guess Everton really are desperate at the moment. I think it's pretty sad for them as they have totally tried to reinvent the club's philosophy in recent times to one that actually plays football yet now it looks like they are sliding back to where they were trapped for so long in the bottom half.

Not sure Big Sam will stick around either.
Its a good short term appointment
He is an excellent and thoroughly underrated manager. Its just a pity old men like him have to be turned to again and again though. I don't get why Brutish clubs are so afraid of appointing younger managers with Fresh ideas from their own shores ..

devilish

When has he ever been sacked for valid reasons? Each sacking his garnered at club level has been thoroughly unwarranted.
SAF had top people breathing at his neck for years. He was never sacked. Same with Conte who had always been a big cry baby. If you're good enough then rest assured you keep your job. There's too much money involved in football to shoot down a winner.A winner might get unlucky with 1-2 clubs who are a bit cuckoo but lightening never strike regularly at the same spot.

Last edited:

devilish

Seriously, what were they expecting? Ancelotti? Tuchel?

Such a deluded bunch. They are arguably the worst team in the PL at the moment, not even Sean Dyche wanted to take them with a barge pole.
they can afford someone whose better than an overated dinosaur

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Right manager for the situation they're in but they should have hired him a few games ago rather than now.
Yeah they have definitely dropped a ball there, they have just made his job even harder, now he has less time to identify the problem's/solutions.

Overall i think he will be good for them. I bet he is gutted though, he finally gets a job at a 'big club' and he still finds himself in a relegation battle.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
He isn't poor though. Not even close
Pretty close. Career sub 40% wining percentage

He is essentially a band aid or stopgap measure to avoid relegation, that doesn't make him a good coach just a life preserver. Same coach who quit Palace because he wanted to travel & spend time with his family, now back with a multimillion pound contract (Earning more than both Simeone & Zizou). Not to mention all the corruption links that eventually saw him step down with England, after 1 game

There are 9 British coaches in the Premiership, only 1 (Howe) is under the age of 40 (Only 2 others are <50) and the proportion of young British coaches in the Championship is even worse - the same retreads are popping up over & over, I mean what exactly has Big Sam done to be considered by anyone as a good coach? Only in England does failure as a coach not make you unemployable, it actually seems to make you a candidate for the next vacancy

Toffee fans gotta be loving it

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
Somehow I think the Everton situation may be beyond even big Sam's talent for breathing life into near death squad!

Watching the body language of the players even when they were just coming out for the Europa League game, was remarkable, the sloping shoulders, the lack of eye contact with each other, staring at the ground, it was pitiful, like one of those scenes in the Roman Empire epic films, with the Christians being sent out to face the Lions!

Everton suddenly became a spending club with their new Iranian backer, but a bit like lottery winners, not use to having money to spend, they had a rush of blood to the head and bought what they thought was off the top shelf!
Hope they do manage to stay in the PL, they are a 'proper club with a good footballing history and some remarkable ex-players have graced the shirt.
Best of luck to big Sam and the 'toffee's, but they will need it!

Hansa

Good. He'll steer them to safety and make Moyes a few percent more likely to relegate West Ham.