Big scorelines in women's football: a problem?

Denis79

My guess the biggest problem would be that it doesn't inspire young girls in the nations that are getting battered to take up the sport and as a result there is a lack of investment to nurture future women footballers?

Tacitus56AD

Supports
Bayern Munich
When we tore Barca a new one nobody complaint.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That's quite a blow to the potential market I'd say. But there you have your answer. It's new. Look at the historical men's international scorelines. England hammered Turkey 8-0 home and away in the early 80's.
Also, one reason why such high scorelines rarely happen anymore in the men's game, is because defensive organization has developed to a point where relatively effective systems can be implemented by anyone - including tiny states like Gibraltar or Andorra. That doesn't seem the case yet with women's football, both in the sense that it's often a little more open (though not always - see some teams at the Olympics this summer), and that women's football is so underdeveloped in some places that even implementing those systems appears to be beyond them as of yet.

Last edited:

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Also, one reason why such high scorelines rarely happen anymore in the men's game, is because defensive organization has developed to a point where relatively effective systems can be implemented by anyone - including tiny states like Gibraltar or Andorra. That doesn't seem the case yet with women's football, both in the sense that it's often a little more open (though not always - see some teams at the Olympics this summer), and that women's football is so underdeveloped in some place that even implementing those systems appears to be beyond them as of yet.
Exactly, that's all part of the overall growth that is yet to happen. Tactics and the size of the talent pool are just two of the threads of the many many the game needs to develop, but that's all logical with something new and comparatively quite small, especially on a professional basis. (Even without the conversation of the obstacles of institutional sexism which is more relevant in some regions than others.)

TheLiverBird

Mercy rule wouldn’t work imo

You can’t have nations flying around the globe for potentially 30 minutes of football. We scored 13 goals in the second half, what if that was the first half? Game over in a flash.

That would just be utterly ridiculous that such a situation could be a possibility, in that instance I’d rather they just played it out and smashed them 20-0.

I haven’t got a solution. But these score lines are a mockery of the sport. We all want goals but not to this scale, we want, well I want well earned goals, not goals for fun it’s like watching Fifa where you set it up as a 2 player match but you put the player 2 controller on the side basically playing against no one….whoopdy dooo

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Exactly, that's all part of the overall growth that is yet to happen. Tactics and the size of the talent pool are just two of the threads of the many many the game needs to develop, but that's all logical with something new and comparatively quite small, especially on a professional basis. (Even without the conversation of the obstacles of institutional sexism which is more relevant in some regions than others.)
Yeah, exactly. The Netherlands were playing Zambia at the Olympics and won 10-3. The thing is that Zambia have one true superstar (Barbra Banda - hence their goals), but part of the rest of the team were far far FAR below her level.

Banda's story is also very illustrative here: according to what I read, she used to have to leave the house in secret to go play football, since it was considered an inappropriate activity for girls. Now, however, she is a role model in Zambia where women's football is growing very quickly. So their next generation of players will likely be much better without the huge gaps in quality across the pitch - but while they're still in this state of transition, they're losing 10-3 to the Netherlands.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Yeah, exactly. The Netherlands were playing Zambia at the Olympics and won 10-3. The thing is that Zambia have one true superstar (Barbra Banda - hence their goals), but part of the rest of the team were far far FAR below her level.

Banda's story is also very illustrative here: according to what I read, she used to have to leave the house in secret to go play football, since it was considered an inappropriate activity for girls. Now, however, she is a role model in Zambia where women's football is growing very quickly. So their next generation of players will likely be much better without the huge gaps in quality across the pitch - but while they're still in this state of transition, they're losing 10-3 to the Netherlands.
Yeah, we're a long way from this being a simple issue of direct comparison.

Lecland07

Yep, exactly. Sport's only succeed when funding ultimately finds it's way in.

Women's football is new, most elite teams have only just started women's sides in the last few years. All the best women players are moving into media roles now (because the coaching doesn't pay well enough), which will raise awareness of the sport, which in turn will attract more young women (and men) to watch more often, which will ultimately increase sponsorship's and keep the best women coaches, or attract male coaches, in/to the sport. It's just super early right now.
I don't think women's football will grow that much. There is no room left in a season for more football.

The football market is already saturated: Premier League, Champions League, Europa League, FA Cup, League Cup, Vanarama Cup (or whatever it is called), Championship, League One, League Two, Conference Leagues, Community Shield, preseason friendlies, International qualifiers and friendlies, Nation's League, World Cup, Euros.

And all that is only taking into account what English clubs and the national team take part in.

Also, a lot of women are not really interested in watching the women's game. The reason? It is nowhere near as good. Most people want to watch the sport at its absolute peak, and that is the Premier League in England. There are enough games in the Premier League alone to fill the weekend.

SungSam7

Have the goal move around if you score more than 5
Nah, clearly the keeper didnt know where the goal was in the first place while it was static.

I say after 5 goals, while the team is celebrating, remove the current one with a smaller one till we get the size of the goals from that nike advert with Cantona and the ship.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
You think 10-0 is fair play?
Like when England's 200k a week players play the once a week San Marino gang? That's no less farcical than the game last night.
Show us your workings. I judge it to be only 50% as farcical.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I don't think women's football will grow that much. There is no room left in a season for more football.
It may have a finite amount of growth but we're not near that yet if youth participation is anything to go by. There's an explosion here at the junior level.

crossy1686

career ending

The football market is already saturated: Premier League, Champions League, Europa League, FA Cup, League Cup, Vanarama Cup (or whatever it is called), Championship, League One, League Two, Conference Leagues, Community Shield, preseason friendlies, International qualifiers and friendlies, Nation's League, World Cup, Euros.

And all that is only taking into account what English clubs and the national team take part in.

Also, a lot of women are not really interested in watching the women's game. The reason? It is nowhere near as good. Most people want to watch the sport at its absolute peak, and that is the Premier League in England. There are enough games in the Premier League alone to fill the weekend.
You're either speaking from your perspective or from what you feel your countries perspective on the sport is.

There's a whole gender of people who collectively, for once in their existence just became aware of a new career opportunity that has the potential to bring them fortune and fame. You and I may not have the time or will to watch more football, especially women's football but there's a bunch of women that will as time passes, not to mention the dads who take their daughters to training. As the women's game grows, people will make the choice to watch women over men, not everyone, but a certain percentage will.

I was born and lived in Salford for most of my life, I know how women's football has been and is viewed in the UK. I now live in Sweden and have done for 10 years, the view on women's football here could not be further away from UK's perspective in terms of participation or engagement. In short, it's fecking huge in Europe and the UK will get left behind on this until someone demands we stop losing to our rival countries.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't like to point people out spefically, but I watched the highlights and immediately noticed just how poor the goalkeeper was.

Some of the shot she let in were absolutely bread and butter for most male keepers. I'd argue even a 16 year old academy keeper would have saved at least half of those goals.

It's suprises me how bad some female goalkeepers are. I know height can be an issue but you'd think things like flexibility, agility etc would make them very able at shot stopping. This poor girl could barely catch the ball.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I really think it needs tiered qualifiers instead of copying the mens format, at least for now.

Basically have all the weakest teams play each other in groups, with 4 going into groups with the mid tier teams, then 4 coming out of that to play qualifiers vs the big teams. Giving teams games vs their own level. Kinda like the Nations League format.

Lets say 12 teams qualify.

Phase A - is the bottom 20 ranked of the 51 qualifiers. They play 4 groups of 5, so 4 games. Top from each group progress.
Phase B - is the 4 qualifiers from phase A plus the next 20 ranked teams. So 6 groups of 4. Top 4 qualify to go into a pot with the top 11.
Phase C - the 4 qualifiers from B plus top 11, so 15 teams. 3 groups of 5. Top 3 from each group go to the WC (9 auto) and 3 4th place go to playoffs.

Not exactly how it'd play out but a solution that creates competitive matches. Obviously a phase a team would play a lot of matches to qualify but honestly it'd only be 11 or 12.

Andrew7582

And a modern woman’s team could probably beat a men’s team from 30 years or so ago, that’s how far behind the woman’s game is in terms of development.
You think women's teams today could beat men's teams from the 90's??? :houllier: :lol:

We’ll never really know if this debate stacks up until all things are fair and equal and woman's team sport’s attract more young girls. In the UK (and some other countries) there’s always been a homosexual stigma attached to female team sports, which dissuades a lot of young girls, maybe the best, from signing up in the first place.

Imagine how small the pool of men’s talent would be if mostly just gay men signed up?

For me, it’s a bit lazy to just say women are physically inferior to men and that’s why these score lines happen, especially when there is so much disparity at every level, logistically and socially.
There is more than enough evidence from a wide variety of other sports, not just football, that women can't compete athletically with men. What you don't seem to understand is that sport at the elite level is decided by very fine margins, small details. Being at a signficant physical disadavantage in every position on the field is a pretty big deal.

crossy1686

career ending
You think women's teams today could beat men's teams from the 90's??? :houllier: :lol:

There is more than enough evidence from a wide variety of other sports, not just football, that women can't compete athletically with men. What you don't seem to understand is that sport at the elite level is decided by very fine margins, small details. Being at a signficant physical disadavantage in every position on the field is a pretty big deal.
I was thinking more inline with the 60's and 70's but I guess it's not 2001 anymore...

As I said to the previous poster, women's sports has been banned in most nations for 50 years or more. If this happened to the men's game we'd see similar results when comparing the two sports side by side in 50 years time so the argument doesn't hold up until both have equal funding and time invested.

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
I hope I am wrong but until what I see now women football is just not enjoyable.

With the current women's physicality the pitch is just too big for them. I see great pass lanes but then I realize the runner is not fast enough to catch the ball and the passer does not have the power to pass the ball.
I'm all with women can do anything, but also we need to say they don't need to do everything.

There are sports where women's team are more enjoyable or at least equally enjoyable to men's (e.g. Volleyball, Figure Skating), I'd rather want the world to invest more on these sports.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
Completely agree with Andrew7582. It's ridiculous to claim women could ever be as good as men in football. They are two different sports actually, and there are numerous examples of it. Gremio U-16 boys had beaten Brazilian women team 6:0. Sorry to break the illusions, but when differences are such, no amount of coaching will ever contribute enough to cut the difference down to acceptable level. Most of boys from Gremio U-16 will probably not play professional football, while Brazilian women team is one of the best in the world. Imagine what a top class side would be capable od doing against a women team.

I don't see how any comparisons with men football could actually help women game, because it will inevitably lead to pointing to results in which amateur sides had beaten women top teams resoundingly.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I was thinking more inline with the 60's and 70's but I guess it's not 2001 anymore...

As I said to the previous poster, women's sports has been banned in most nations for 50 years or more. If this happened to the men's game we'd see similar results when comparing the two sports side by side in 50 years time so the argument doesn't hold up until both have equal funding and time invested.
No chance.

Redlyn

I hope I am wrong but until what I see now women football is just not enjoyable.

With the current women's physicality the pitch is just too big for them. I see great pass lanes but then I realize the runner is not fast enough to catch the ball and the passer does not have the power to pass the ball.
I'm all with women can do anything, but also we need to say they don't need to do everything.

There are sports where women's team are more enjoyable or at least equally enjoyable to men's (e.g. Volleyball, Figure Skating), I'd rather want the world to invest more on these sports.
Just because it's not perfect doesn't mean it shouldn't be encouraged to reach its maximum potential. There are far more people interested and involved in women's football (even if you are not one of them) than figure skating. Simply because football is just a more popular sport. So they should invest there to make it better instead of only some niche discipline that interests far less people.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Newcastle Jets under 15 boys team beat the womens Aussie national team 7-0 recently

Not really relevant I suppose but an interesting stat
Yeah I call bullshit on this

Beagle

If these kinds of scores happen frequently, then it is a problem. It shows there's not enough teams out there that are competitive.

Along with the skill gap mentioned in this thread, I think there's an even bigger gap in the coaching department between men and women's football. In the men's game, we have coaches dedicating time and effort into every minute detail, and as a result, the men's game is evolving. I'm not sure that is the case with the women's game. I can't imagine a properly well drilled team with limited individuals getting beaten by 20 or 19 goals.

I guess the sport has to become more popular to attract better coaches who will invest their efforts to improve their teams and ultimately the standard of the sport itself through competition. But I have no idea how it can become more popular. If people don't enjoy watching it, the money will never be available to make big strides.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah I call bullshit on this
its not bullshit
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-Newcastle-Jets-15s-Rio-Olympics-warm-up.html
They were 3rd in the world at the time.

This one was less serious but u15s beat US womens national team and best in the world 5-2 as well but more of a kickabout than competitive match..
https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/ne...-the-u-s-womens-national-team-in-a-scrimmage/

AIK u17's beating Sweden women easy and playing with 10 to go easy on them.
https://www.thelocal.se/20130116/45646/

Its no slight on those teams, just genetics being genetics. They are great players and good teams for their level. There is no harm in that. Underfunded women vs kids being prepped for top level football with the boys likely all on the bigger side having went through puberty. You can be guaranteed at least outside of the US all those boys teams are better funded, coached and prepared than the womens teams, which is something that needs correcting and is slowly making in roads.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
its not bullshit
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-Newcastle-Jets-15s-Rio-Olympics-warm-up.html
They were 3rd in the world at the time.

This one was less serious but u15s beat US womens national team and best in the world 5-2 as well but more of a kickabout than competitive match..
https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/ne...-the-u-s-womens-national-team-in-a-scrimmage/

AIK u17's beating Sweden women easy and playing with 10 to go easy on them.
https://www.thelocal.se/20130116/45646/

Its no slight on those teams, just genetics being genetics. They are great players and good teams for their level. There is no harm in that. Underfunded women vs kids being prepped for top level football with the boys likely all on the bigger side having went through puberty. You can be guaranteed at least outside of the US all those boys teams are better funded, coached and prepared than the womens teams, which is something that needs correcting and is slowly making in roads.
That recently isn't far off us saying we won the league recently tbf.

padr81

Supports
Man City
That recently isn't far off us saying we won the league recently tbf.
Thats true, I think the Sweden on in particular is old but in the Aussie one it implies its fairly common, because the women can't really get competitive teams to play against. I'd imagine they've dish out a few hammerings too.

RUCK4444

Newcastle Jets under 15 boys team beat the womens Aussie national team 7-0 recently

Not really relevant I suppose but an interesting stat
I thought that was a joke until you posted the article.

I do find it a stretch that it would even be close should there have been the interest/development and money poured into it over the years, it’s just genetics, nothing to get angry about really, men have a biological advantage.

If we’re waiting for that to change then how long have we got? It will probably never even out through evolution, we’re likely to become extinct far quicker than that happening.

Extra funding and development that it’s lacked won’t really ever make up for the above, will it? I don’t think it’s the only driving factor at play either.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I thought that was a joke until you posted the article.

I do find it a stretch that it would even be close should there have been the interest/development and money poured into it over the years, it’s just genetics, nothing to get angry about really, men have a biological advantage.

If we’re waiting for that to change then how long have we got? It will probably never even out through evolution, we’re likely to become extinct far quicker than that happening.

Extra funding and development that it’s lacked won’t really ever make up for the above, will it? I don’t think it’s the only driving factor at play either.
Nothing will ever put both sexes (I prefer to use the term sex over gender in these discussions) on the same level, but I think that doesn't mean we can't get the womens game to a much higher standard and much better level by at least going someway to balance training, grass roots funding, coach distribution etc... In terms of performance, particularly athletic and physical its not something that can ever be solved, which is why many find the gender issue and in particular transgender women so divisive but thats a whole other can of worms. What we can do is get the womens game to a much higher technical level, and make it the best it can be without comparisons to the men.

The fact womens international teams sometimes struggle for basic facilities etc.. is a huge problem. Stuff like this getting sorted would be a huge step in the right direction... https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0404/865135-irelands-wnt-treated/

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
There has been absolutely massive growth and improvement in the womens game over the last 20 years and especially over the last 5 or so years. The womens game is is doing just fine, it will evolve and grow at its own pace and right now that pace is very quick. So many great things going on for womens football, a few challenges to overcome but overall its the fastest growing area in football. I think this current growth in womens football is the best thing to have happened to the game in my 60 years on the planet.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
And a modern woman’s team could probably beat a men’s team from 30 years or so ago, that’s how far behind the woman’s game is in terms of development.
No way

In the 90s we already had the likes of Desailly, Lizarazu,Davids, Deschamps,Overmars,Thuram,Rio,Ronaldo,Simeone,Cafu,Roberto Carlos, and many more very physical players.

Are you suggesting that a current woman footballer is physically stronger or faster than Jean Pierre-Papin,Cantona,Lilian Thuram, Roberto Carlos,Del Piero,Maldini,Baggio,etc ?

No way, 90s Football was already very fast and physical.

Plus I'm sure that even a current top female striker couldn't deal with Lilian Thuram in his 40s.

Last edited:

RUCK4444

Nothing will ever put both sexes (I prefer to use the term sex over gender in these discussions) on the same level, but I think that doesn't mean we can't get the womens game to a much higher standard and much better level by at least going someway to balance training, grass roots funding, coach distribution etc... In terms of performance, particularly athletic and physical its not something that can ever be solved, which is why many find the gender issue and in particular transgender women so divisive but thats a whole other can of worms. What we can do is get the womens game to a much higher technical level, and make it the best it can be without comparisons to the men.
Yeah I totally agree on what can be done to improve the game and should be done.

I feel there is a lot of improvement that can be made, the top level of women's football when you watch it should really be quite a bit better than it is. I'm sure it will continue to improve more quickly now it's getting more of the spotlight.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah I totally agree on what can be done to improve the game and should be done.

I feel there is a lot of improvement that can be made, the top level of women's football when you watch it should really be quite a bit better than it is. I'm sure it will continue to improve more quickly now it's getting more of the spotlight.
Hopefully Sky getting more involved finally is great for home nations players at least.

Bobski

I don't like to point people out spefically, but I watched the highlights and immediately noticed just how poor the goalkeeper was.

Some of the shot she let in were absolutely bread and butter for most male keepers. I'd argue even a 16 year old academy keeper would have saved at least half of those goals.

It's suprises me how bad some female goalkeepers are. I know height can be an issue but you'd think things like flexibility, agility etc would make them very able at shot stopping. This poor girl could barely catch the ball.
A 16 year old Academy keeper would be the GOAT keeper in the womans games, goalkeeper is the position where the difference in athleticism is most obvious, I think you could go as low as 13-14 years old and be fairly certain that the kid would be better than pretty much every adult keeper in the womans game.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
A 16 year old Academy keeper would be the GOAT keeper in the womans games, goalkeeper is the position where the difference in athleticism is most obvious, I think you could go as low as 13-14 years old and be fairly certain that the kid would be better than pretty much every adult keeper in the womans game.
yep whenever I watch women’s football it’s the clear weak area. some of the goals that go in you just think… how?

watch the england v latvia highlights and it’s like they’ve pulled in an amateur from the crowd

RUCK4444

yep whenever I watch women’s football it’s the clear weak area. some of the goals that go in you just think… how?

watch the england v latvia highlights and it’s like they’ve pulled in an amateur from the crowd
Yeah goalkeeper is a major area for improvement in the game. Definitely contributed massively to score lines like this 20-0

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
You're either speaking from your perspective or from what you feel your countries perspective on the sport is.

There's a whole gender of people who collectively, for once in their existence just became aware of a new career opportunity that has the potential to bring them fortune and fame. You and I may not have the time or will to watch more football, especially women's football but there's a bunch of women that will as time passes, not to mention the dads who take their daughters to training. As the women's game grows, people will make the choice to watch women over men, not everyone, but a certain percentage will.

I was born and lived in Salford for most of my life, I know how women's football has been and is viewed in the UK. I now live in Sweden and have done for 10 years, the view on women's football here could not be further away from UK's perspective in terms of participation or engagement. In short, it's fecking huge in Europe and the UK will get left behind on this until someone demands we stop losing to our rival countries.
That's true. There is a large demographic that doesn't care for men's football, or watched with their friends but isn't really into it. I'm probably talking mostly about girls and women here - and certainly you see many more girls watching women's football than men's football. So there is a big group there that is yet to be reached by football.

Also, as everyone keeps pointing out, the women's game is played differently from the men's game, and not just because not all countries and clubs are very advanced professionally as of yet. That might also attract people who are bored by certain elements of the men's game.

-- Don't forget to vote for this year's RedCafe Awards.

Last edited:

hobbers

Latvia are presumably all just part-time players? And obviously the total absence of any ability in the goalkeeper is an ever present theme.

Thought all the celebrating for the 5-20th goals was pretty cringeworthy.

crossy1686

career ending
No way

In the 90s we already had the likes of Desailly, Lizarazu,Davids, Deschamps,Overmars,Thuram,Rio,Ronaldo,Simeone,Cafu,Roberto Carlos, and many more very physical players.

Are you suggesting that a current woman footballer is physically stronger or faster than Jean Pierre-Papin,Cantona,Lilian Thuram, Roberto Carlos,Del Piero,Maldini,Baggio,etc ?

No way, 90s Football was already very fast and physical.

Plus I'm sure that even a current top female striker couldn't deal with Lilian Thuram in his 40s.
No, I'm not suggesting that, when I think 20 years ago, I still think it would be the 1980's. So when I said 30 years ago, what I really meant was around the 1970's.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
No, I'm not suggesting that, when I think 20 years ago, I still think it would be the 1980's. So when I said 30 years ago, what I really meant was around the 1970's.
So, what you are suggesting is that U-15/U-16 boy teams of today would beat great sides of the past? Because these teams regularly beat elite women teams.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
Do you not think that they would?
Are you really seriously suggesting that Newcastle Jets U-16 are better than Brazil of 70s? Come on people.

Unless you are suggesting the beating if they actually met today, with the Brazilians barely able to walk. In which case I agree :D