Biggest game in club football...

RoyH1

People are missing a bit the point about Real and Barsa. It's about a whole lot more than just football. It's almost a substitute for civil war considering the history and politics of Spain. The one chance Catalonia gets to get one up on the Spanish establishment. The stakes feel ridiculously high, specially considering the current situation with almost permanent protests on the streets of Barcelona.

Celtic vs Rangers has some of the same feeling I suppose, but the relative decline of Scottish clubs has made it loose some of its luster.

River vs Boca is an absolutely mental game. The way both fanbases despise each other while sharing the same city is crazy and the atmosphere in their stadiums is amazing. The whole place seems like it's shaking.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool vs City is not even close to the top - it's just a regular game with added importance because we happen to be contenders at the same time. When them or us are not title contenders anymore in the future, it's just a regular game against a fellow top 6 team. It'll never come close either unless we fight out an epic battle amongst the two of us over the next decade or so, which I can't see happening given the competitiveness of the Premier League.

The two fixtures I check at the start of the season are vs United and vs Everton. Barca-Real and Liverpool-United are the two biggest (European) club games in football for me.

TsuWave

Far from “biggest”, but North London Derby has been the best for some years now

MikeeMike

For me was always Utd v Liverpool then Utd v Leeds.
Hostile wise maybe Partizan v Red Star Belgrade.
viewers probably RM v Barca

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
United vs Scousepool all day long.

It's not about where we are now in terms of competing. It's about how close we are as rivals from the start.

That's why most in here would rather citeh won another league title this season than liverpool as we don't want the Scousers getting closer to our 20 titles.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
United vs Scousepool all day long.

It's not about where we are now in terms of competing. It's about how close we are as rivals from the start.

That's why most in here would rather citeh won another league title this season than liverpool as we don't want the Scousers getting closer to our 20 titles.
It's a race few other than United/Liverpool fans care about. Casuals and neutrals aren't watching United/Liverpool the way they are tuning in for El Clasico or Inter vs Juventus today.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
It's a race few other than United/Liverpool fans care about. Casuals and neutrals aren't watching United/Liverpool the way they are tuning in for El Clasico or Inter vs Juventus today.
I've lived in Amsterdam, the Hague and Barcelona and it was shown everywhere as a big game then.

I now live in Lima and it is still a massive game for the neutral. Maybe not as big as el classico over here but then this is a Spanish speaking country.

But I'm sure more people in china tune in than all of Latin America put together.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I've lived in Amsterdam, the Hague and Barcelona and it was shown everywhere as a big game then.

I now live in Lima and it is still a massive game for the neutral. Maybe not as big as el classico over here but then this is a Spanish speaking country.

But I'm sure more people in china tune in than all of Latin America put together.
Interesting, even in our current state?

It would be great to see numbers (TV showings, social media engagements, and so on)

BusterGonads

Supports
Liverpool
Yep, Liverpool - Utd for me too. It's the biggest but biggest isn't always the most interesting. Pool-City is far more exciting these days. There's a lot more on the line in these games, quality footy, no room for error, drama, needle...like what Utd-Pool used to be

John_Dooh

Supports
Liverpool
If United and Liverpool were playing a 6 pointer for the league these days, it would be a record breaker. City has no where near the pull of utd, but they are top dogs and we are the challengers in this golden era of the EPL, atm.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Sorry to piss on your bonfire man, but as if anyone gives a shit about this on a global scale. Fairly damn certain that 10th place United vs Liverpool had about 100 times the viewers.
:lol: :D

It doesn't matter how bad we are, or how bad they are, for a United and Liverpool fan, the biggest game has been, is, and will always be the North-West Derby. Too much history.

For everybody else - El Classico was the biggest game around way before Ronaldo went to RM and will continue to be even after Messi lives.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Boca-River
Inter-Milan
Barca-Real
Lpool-Utd

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
Liverpool v United is still a bigger game for the neutral than city v Liverpool.
Celtic and rangers play each other almost every week so it seems must take the edge of the derby when they meet so many times

AlwaysRed66

Not sure about the biggest game, but Man Utd & Real Madrid are the biggest clubs. Unfortunately, we haven't played as one since SAF went.

bp19992

Sorry to say that to you in this forum, but these days no single game including United would be considered the standout fixture at all internationally.

El Clasico is still the standout fixture, probably followed by City vs Pool and maybe Bayern vs BVB (Der Klassiker) on its day.
Fellow German here and I think you're deluded if you believe that Bayern-BVB has a similar standing to United-Liverpool. I've lived in both countries and that's just my input.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’m sure El Clasico isn’t doing the same numbers anymore. It’s not even broadcast in the UK, and all the stars people tuned in to see are literally all in their 30s now.

Inter v Juve is one to watch if they can sustain their rivalry, as it will be by far the standout game in Italy and both teams have genuine star players. I doubt it comes close to United Liverpool in terms of numbers though.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Fellow German here and I think you're deluded if you believe that Bayern-BVB has a similar standing to United-Liverpool. I've lived in both countries and that's just my input.
It certainly is one of the biggest games of this decade. Especially when Klopp was still around.

PoTMS

It certainly is one of the biggest games of this decade. Especially when Klopp was still around.
The UCL final aside, it's not even close to United-Liverpool. In fact, the Manchester Derby even eclipses that.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think it's completely down to recency, at least if you look at global interest. The Clasico is still the biggest game, simply because Barca and Real are still considered to be among the 4-5 best teams in the world and their trophy cabinets in the last 10 years or so supports that claim. However, you immediately see global interest in this match go down if the quality of the teams suffers, e.g. by losing Cristiano or Barca not being as good as they used to be.

So I'd say the second place belongs to Liverpool vs City and after that it is very hard to tell. Probably CL matches between two big teams, like PSG vs Barca or Juve vs Real.

It's quite disappointing that United isn't really competitive right now because with the quality of the current Liverpool side, this match would have the potential to rival the Clasico.

MrVolley

1. City
2. Liverpool

1. City
2. United

1. Chelsea
2. Spurs

1. Leicester
2. Arsenal

1. Chelsea
2. City

City and Liverpool have had one fecking season of being direct competitors at the top of the table since 2014/15!!

The Premier League is getting bigger all the time, so there's always going to be a recency bias as to which matches draw in the biggest numbers. That's a given.

The idea that City/Liverpool is a 'big' rivalry is laughable. It just happens to have been an interesting 6 pointer for the last 18 months or so.
Nowhere did the original poster never mentioned premier league rivalry.

The fact is the City and Liverpool have had some huge and intense games over the past few years and the fact that they've both the 2 best managers in the world and go toe to toe, is what makes this THE biggesy current rivalry (along with El Classico).

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool v Utd will always be bigger than Liverpool v City. Right now, we're fighting for titles so the current matches are probably more intriguing but it's no different to Utd v Arsenal back in the late 90s/early 2000's. The matches might mean a bit more at times in regards to league positions but no match will ever be bigger than Liverpool v Utd

Last edited:

bp19992

Agree, but historically it's not comparable. It's more like United-Arsenal back in the days when both were the best sides. Even Dortmund-Schalke is a bigger match imo.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
United vs Liverpool is still the biggest club game in terms of viewing figures worldwide.
What's this based on?
It's not even the most watched game in England (last year that was city-pool on Sky and Pool- Arsenal on BT).

Lots of people confusing most historic/favourite with most watched.

They're different questions obviously, and utd-pool is definitely in contention tot be the biggest in regards to history/rivalry/intensity.

Dante

Average bang
Nowhere did the original poster never mentioned premier league rivalry.

The fact is the City and Liverpool have had some huge and intense games over the past few years and the fact that they've both the 2 best managers in the world and go toe to toe, is what makes this THE biggesy current rivalry (along with El Classico).
In 2018/19, yes.

But in 2017/18, when Liverpool were 4th, their games with City weren't that big. United were 2nd, so understandably the matches between Mourinho and Guardiola were bigger as those two were the best managers in the world.

In 2016/17, Conte and Pochettino finished ahead of Pep and Klopp. The latter two weren't considered top of the tree any more.

In other words, the "phenomenon" of Liverpool-City being a match between undisputed big hitters only started 18 months ago.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Inter-Juve also going to become a global rivalry again with almost equal wealth (china’s suning vs eu-us fca), organisation (inter copycatting juve’s model to scale up as quickly as possible) and football strength (conte doing wonders and nearly filling the gap in his year 1 already, like dortmund did in the mid 90s by hiring many juve rejects and winning the cl against them in 1997).

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Inter-Juve also going to become a global rivalry again with almost equal wealth (china’s suning vs eu-us fca), organisation (inter copycatting juve’s model to scale up as quickly as possible) and football strength (conte doing wonders and nearly filling the gap in his year 1 already, like dortmund did in the mid 90s by hiring many juve rejects and winning the cl against them in 1997).
I think that one has great potential to be huge, which would be great for Italian football.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I'd have to say Barcelona and Real Madrid although I'm not particularly interested in it.

I've got that fixture to thank for me dumping Sky Sports a few years back. They played each other and it was extremely bad. Sky were saying how great it was and I had a big epiphany about just how much rubbish they talk and how they hype everything up beyond what it really is. Ended up getting rid and I've barely watched any Spanish football since as I didn't have the right channel and didn't care enough to find streams. I don't think it's on Sky anymore now anyway? I have watched a little Spanish football just recently as I've had a few bets on so watched on the bookies' site, not this fixture though as of yet. Espanyol v Betis was good last weekend which was one I caught.

Last edited:

simplyared

The "old firm" Celtic v Rangers still gives you that little extra. Every single player totally comitted to the cause. No theatre antics or whingeing. A good honest battle!

KarlHeinzRiedle13

Supports
LFC
In 2018/19, yes.

But in 2017/18, when Liverpool were 4th, their games with City weren't that big. United were 2nd, so understandably the matches between Mourinho and Guardiola were bigger as those two were the best managers in the world.
2017/18 is actually when the ‘rivalry’ started, the Champions League Games were huge, the 4-3 match in the league was big aswell as it ended their unbeaten run in mid January

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool united still the biggest in England. It doesn’t seem as big though when Liverpool are good and united are struggling. It was bigger when Liverpool were struggling and united were on top though.

VanKenny

Early 2010's clasico was something else. Guardiola vs Mourinho, Messi vs Ronaldo, Barcelona vs Madrid. It was the entire world cup winning squad from Spain divided between the two teams plus a bunch of international superstars. Two clash of styles who were the complete opposite of each other, but equally masters at it. On top of that, it had arguably the greatest of all time playing at his best (Messi if it isnt obvious enough).

Dont see how it gets better than that. I remember that time when the played each other like 4 times in 3 weeks or something like that, the CL semis, the league game and the copa del rey final. That was a good month for football.

Son

1. Barcelona v Real
2. Boca v River
3. United v Real (Europe’s money match)

Without a doubt me as a United fan looks forward to facing Real more than any other club. They always beat us so would be incredible to best them once. I loath and respect Real in equal measure for me that makes them our most feared opponents through the years.

Son

1. Barcelona v Real
2. Boca v River
3. United v Real (Europe’s money match)

Without a doubt me as a United fan looks forward to facing Real more than any other club. They always beat us so would be incredible to best them once. I loath and respect Real in equal measure for me that makes them our most feared opponents through the years.