Biggest game in club football...

Pughnichi

I got bored of el Classico when it became less about the football and rather who could spend most time rolling on the floor trying to con the ref.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Just over a year since this conversation and I thought I’d revisit. I still stand by my original proclamation that United/Liverpool has become the biggest game in club football. I don’t think Real/Barca has done anything since to make question them falling from top spot. A game which once boasted all the best players on the pitch at the same time now has a bunch of yesterday’s men in the main.

I think you could feel the hype building for at least two weeks towards the Liverpool/United game this week. If another team were top, I just don’t think it would be like this.

I expect this weekend’s game to set viewing records for this season.

RUCK4444

Just over a year since this conversation and I thought I’d revisit. I still stand by my original proclamation that United/Liverpool has become the biggest game in club football. I don’t think Real/Barca has done anything since to make question them falling from top spot. A game which once boasted all the best players on the pitch at the same time now has a bunch of yesterday’s men in the main.

I think you could feel the hype building for at least two weeks towards the Liverpool/United game this week. If another team were top, I just don’t think it would be like this.

I expect this weekend’s game to set viewing records for this season.
I agree. The PL is the most watched league in the world, generally seen as the best/most competitive and exciting league - these are the two most successful teams in that league and happen to be close enough geographically to be classed as a derby game whilst absolutely hating one another.

It has more bite to it than the El Classico in a better league.

saintquin

Supports
Southampton, Harlequins
I think all the "big derbies" are losing something nowadays.
With so many managers and players from all over the world involved in those games it seems to have diluted the excitement on the pitch!

Amir

I can see why people in England or United/Liverpool fans may see United-Liverpool as the biggest, but I think for the general population in the world it would easily be Real-Barca. It was always a big game, but in the last 15 years or so it evolved to a match that attracts massive attention from neutrals.

Robertd0803

City vs Liverpool is no way the biggest game. Theres not even much of a proper rivalry between them other than they are competing against each other. No history to the tie what so ever other than a few dodgy decisions in games here or there in the past 6 or 7 seasons which you could say for most combinations of teams at the top.

Madrid vs Barcelona would probably get my vote because its got the massive worldwide (and historical) appeal to it.

Threesus

I think it changes over the years. A decade ago, nobody would ever envision a game involving City or PSG to be big games, but here we are now. Our CL tie against Madrid in 2013 was billed as the tie that the world wanted to see.
Saying that ties involving Madrid, Bayern, Barcelona, Juventus and the like will always gather massive attention. I couldn't give you the biggest tie among all of them, though.

Threesus

I agree. The PL is the most watched league in the world, generally seen as the best/most competitive and exciting league - these are the two most successful teams in that league and happen to be close enough geographically to be classed as a derby game whilst absolutely hating one another.

It has more bite to it than the El Classico in a better league.
I think it is also that we have seen high profile players like figo move across from Barca to Real Madrid in the last 20 years. And before that Laudrup and Enrique. I don't think we can get a bang average player like shaqiri from liverpool. The same way we threatened to go to court to prevent Heinze from going to Liverpool. If I remember correctly, Liverpool offered to loan us players following Munich, but I believe we refused. The bitterness and animosity is simply on a different level.

This Sunday is going to be epic, one way or the other.

RUCK4444

I think it is also that we have seen high profile players like figo move across from Barca to Real Madrid in the last 20 years. And before that Laudrup and Enrique. I don't think we can get a bang average player like shaqiri from liverpool. The same way we threatened to go to court to prevent Heinze from going to Liverpool. If I remember correctly, Liverpool offered to loan us players following Munich, but I believe we refused. The bitterness and animosity is simply on a different level.

This Sunday is going to be epic, one way or the other.
Yeah exactly. It’s proper rivalry, people use the term ‘fierce rivalry’ for Derby’s etc but this one is proper fierce.

There’s no middle ground, just hatred. :devil:

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah exactly. It’s proper rivalry, people use the term ‘fierce rivalry’ for Derby’s etc but this one is proper fierce.

There’s no middle ground, just hatred. :devil:
There have been questions posed by Liverpool fans as to whether a banner for Marcus Rashford can be put on display on the Kop for this game. Basically to say "Hunger has no colours, Thank you Marcus". Hope this comes to fruition as there are a lot of more important things than football right now and this would at least acknowledge what he's done on a global scale

Last edited:

Bulldog United

I think all the "big derbies" are losing something nowadays.
With so many managers and players from all over the world involved in those games it seems to have diluted the excitement on the pitch!
The Old Farm Derby is still as fierce and passionate as it ever was. Worth a watch the next time Norwich face Ipswich.

RUCK4444

There have been questions posed by Liverpool fans as to whether a banner for Marcus Rushford can be put on display on the Kop for this game. Basically to say "Hunger has no colours, Thank you Marcus". Hope this comes to fruition as there are a lot of more important things than football right now and this would at least acknowledge what he's done on a global scale
That would be classy in fairness. It would more attention to his cause as well which is only a good thing.

More pressure he puts on the government and media attention he gets for it the better.

Like you say some things are more important.

GameOn

Aside from Barca-Real, I think Bayern-Real ("European Classico") and Liverpool-City (Klopp vs Pep) are the biggest games you can get.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
There have been questions posed by Liverpool fans as to whether a banner for Marcus Rushford can be put on display on the Kop for this game. Basically to say "Hunger has no colours, Thank you Marcus". Hope this comes to fruition as there are a lot of more important things than football right now and this would at least acknowledge what he's done on a global scale
:nono: He is not a kick and rush merchant

Davicho

Boca-River is bigger than any game between european clubs. Only Real Madrid-Barcelona could match it.

Zen86

Sounds far too classy for Liverpool fans, so it’s probably a load of bollocks.

GameOn

Boca-River is bigger than any game between european clubs. Only Real Madrid-Barcelona could match it.
In South America maybe, the rest of the world just doesn't care that much about anything else than their own domestic league and the big European competitions (CL and top 5 European leagues).

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
Probably Real Madrid Barcelona. At the end of the day Real Madrid is historically the best team in the world so it makes sense that it would involve them. You add in the fact that Messi/Ronaldo are seen as perhaps the 2 greatest of all time and they spent close to 10 years in the same league, you get the biggest fixture.

I think Liverpool Manchester United lost its appeal as the 2 teams almost never compete with each other for the title in recent times. That seems different this year.

Milan derby had also lost its glamour as its generally been 2 Europa League level teams playing each other.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'll never feel a footballing face off like I did our matches with Arsenal back when we were the two best teams in England.

Of course our rivalry with Liverpool is bigger. But those matches were footballing heaven for me. The hatred between the two sides, what was at stake, the two managers, and the lovely football. It was much more complete than the Barca vs Madrid games. For one, one team wasn't dominant as Barca usually was in those, and the football was well rounded rather than focus purely on two teams attacking weak defences.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
In terms of environment in the stadium, River - Boca probably outstands from the rest.

Eddy_JukeZ

La Liga as a whole hasn't had the neutrals attention since Ronaldo left, truth be told.
True and both Real/Barca have declined a lot in recent seasons.

Don't think the Pep-Jose Clasicos will be matched for a long time. They were must watch.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Bayern Real in CL are always eventful matches, going back to Juanito stamping on Matthaus face in the 1987 semi final. Real being CL's most succesful team and Bayern being their besta negra.

Bayern used to always spank Real Madrid until Pep arrived in Bayern and since then Real won all ties, despite much controversy.

Imo it would be the biggest game in European football had there been more rivalry/hate between the two teams, but for some reason it's not there. Even after the scandalous refereeing that put Real through, for some reason there was no emotion on Bayern's side. It seemed Barca were more upset at the referee than Bayern were.

Giggs86

1998-2005 United Arsenal
2005-2011 United Chelsea
2012-present United City
United Liverpool - timeless and the biggest one

Other than that nothing can match the Pep vs Jose Classicos. Pure edge on your seat shithousery all around, best entertainment in football.

Threesus

True and both Real/Barca have declined a lot in recent seasons.

Don't think the Pep-Jose Clasicos will be matched for a long time. They were must watch.
Yes. I think the players on both sides at that time genuinely hated each other, which lead to problems in the Spanish NT, if I remember correctly. And Ronaldo has many iconic moments in his career, but that calma celebration at the Camp Nou was in my opinion, his greatest moment. It signaled the end of probably the greatest club side ever. Was in junior high at that time and it was always funny to see the Ronaldo and Messi fanboys go at each other(they still do now, tbf). Probably the last time Jose was among the 3 best managers in the world as well.

saintquin

Supports
Southampton, Harlequins
United Liverpool. I suspect it's the most watched game on the planet.
I would say that's about right but, the media help by hyping this fixture up as much as they do.
I would guess that Man Utd and Liverpool are on tele more than any other two teams which helps getting those two clubs fans from all around the world.
Probably the two biggest supported clubs in England playing each other should get the biggest TV viewing.
As for the rest of the world, I don't know anybody who watches South American football and I think Barcelona must be losing TV fans the way they're going at the moment.