Biggest managerial downgrades

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Saw this on Twitter and thought it'd be a fun thread. As an example to start I think that United going from Sir Alex Ferguson to David Moyes was a massive downgrade.

Another example would be Liverpool going from Benitez to Hodgson, or Chelsea going from Mourinho to Grant.

Any more?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Ancelotti to De Matteo count or is that more of a caretaker position?

Crustanoid

When Jose left Inter after winning the treble they hired the fat imbecilic waiter with the reverse Midas touch and were 8th in Serie A by Xmas

crossy1686

career ending
Benitez => Bruce (Newcastle)
Spalletti => Gattuso (Milan)
Fergie => Moyes (United)
Benitez => Hodgson (Liverpool)
Mourinho=> Grant (Chelsea)
Redknapp => Adams (Portsmouth)
Guidolin => Bob Bradly (Swansea)
Allardyce => Steve Keane (Blackburn)
Keegan => Kinnear (Newcastle)
Nuno Espirito Santo => Gary Neville (Valencia)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
When Jose left Inter after winning the treble they hired the fat imbecilic waiter with the reverse Midas touch and were 8th in Serie A by Xmas
Davide Moisio?

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Benitez => Bruce (Newcastle)
For any good club, it's a downgrade, but dont think its a massive downgrade for a club whose objective has been to avoid relegation in the past 3 seasons. If anything, Benitez can't play the football he wants with that set of players, whereas Bruce plays kind of football suited to such teams - which is why they've arguably been doing better than the previous 2 seasons in terms of results

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Vicente Del Bosque...... to....... Quieroz/Camacho/Remon/Luxemburgo in quick succession. Disastrous.
Johan Cryuff.... to...... Carles Rexach
Sir Alex Ferguson....... to...... David Moyes

Biggest ones I can think of in terms of quality and success gap.

Hoboman

Heynckes to Kovac
Jardim to Henry
Allardyce to Lee

Last edited:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Saw this on Twitter and thought it'd be a fun thread. As an example to start I think that United going from Sir Alex Ferguson to David Moyes was a massive downgrade.

Another example would be Liverpool going from Benitez to Hodgson, or Chelsea going from Mourinho to Grant.

Any more?
Grant's Chelsea pushed us all the way both domestically and in Europe, harsh mentioning him as he did a good job as an interim manager no one had ever heard of before

Obviously it's us going from Fergie the best of all time to Moyes but then you knew that when you started this thread ;) :(

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
RE: Mourinho -> Grant

You mean the same Grant who took Chelsea to UCL final and barely lost?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Jose Mourinho > Ole Gunnar Solskjær

The two aren't in the same universe when it comes to managerial accomplishments. And to be fair, I go to enormous lengths to defend Ole here, but since the thread is about downgrades, until Ole wins something, this is a pretty big downgrade.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

To be fair, I think it's pretty clear from this and the Di Matteo situation that that Chelsea side managed themselves.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

He had with him Steve Clarke, Hen Ten Cate and a squad of International captains in the peak of their powers, while he did do some decent things (basically stuck to Jose's core principle's but let the players express themselves a bit more) he would have been tragically out of his depth with any squad we've had from that moment on.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

The two aren't in the same universe when it comes to managerial accomplishments. And to be fair, I go to enormous lengths to defend Ole here, but since the thread is about downgrades, until Ole wins something, this is a pretty big downgrade.
I don't think it's anywhere near the biggest downgrade when you factor in Jose's level of 2018 instead of his past.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
SAF to Golem hands down is the absolute worst decision. In all of football history.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Whoever comes in after Ancelotti for us probably.

Silva -> Ancelotti is probably in with a shout of the best manager glow up

Red00012

Ole’s at the wheel man

Remember the geese

Pochettino won feck all ?
True. I said it with an element of tongue in cheek. Spurs have sold their soul to the devil, much like we did. Maybe they will be happy enough with a trophy or two before the inevitable turbulence. Remains to be seen whether he can deliver that and equal or surpass Pochettino's achievements, however intangible they were.

RedRob

"I believe. I believe there will be more. T
France national team in 2004?
Santini (holds the record for highest % wins) to Domenech (lowest since Houllier in 1992/93).
Domenech may have got them to a World Cup final, but even he could only do so much to screw up a squad containing Henry, Zidane, Vieira, Makelele, Ribery, Sagnol, Abidal, Trezeguet, ...

Robbo 7

Busby >> McGuinness

I'm nowhere near old enough to remember but just going off his record - played 23, won 5, drew 9, lost 9. At least Moyes won 27 out of 52.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Jupp Heynkes to Kovac at Bayern was a pretty bad one