Biggest managerial downgrades

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
RE: Mourinho -> Grant

You mean the same Grant who took Chelsea to UCL final and barely lost?
It is pretty much widely accepted (and I think even Kenyon/Gourley said it) that the core Chelsea players (Cech, Terry, Lampard, Ballack and Drogba) took it on themselves with Grant as a passenger/first team coach in name only.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Jupp Heynkes to Kovac at Bayern was a pretty bad one
Yeah, not in the same realm as SAF -> Moyes, but still dreadful.

Another one is Hamburg going from the great Ernst Happel to Josip Skoblar (who got sacked after 15 games) in 1987.

Cloud7

Three times in a row Champions League winning Zidane, to Lopetegui, surely has to have a place in here somewhere?

Last edited:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Three times in a row Champions League winning Zidane, to Benitez, surely has to have a place in here somewhere?
Haven’t you got that the wrong way round? Zidane came in and won 3 Champions League’s after Benitez was sacked.

Cloud7

Haven’t you got that the wrong way round? Zidane came in and won 3 Champions League’s after Benitez was sacked.
Ah yeah, I must have been thinking of Lopetegui. Sacked from the Spain job and it just continued to get worse from then on.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
How about the opposite?

Kovac to Flick seems night and day

manutddjw

Sir Alex to Moyes. Going from the greatest manager of all time to, well, David Moyes. It becomes even more illogical when you think that Harry Redknapp is a far more accomplished manager winning and the FA Cup, qualifying for the Champions League twice and making it to the last 16. All Moyes did was get top 4 once and stay at Everton.

PoTMS

When you consider how long his contract was as well , I think this might be correct
Who on earth thought giving him a SIX year contract would be a good idea? As if anyone would come in and try and poach him?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Steve McClaren after Sven Goran Eriksson. Sven was rated highly among European managers, maybe not the best but not far off elite. SM did well with Boro and as assistant to Fergie but wasn't close to Sven's level.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Jorge Jesus to Jose Peserio.

Was like watching your dog get hit by a car 3x in a row.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Jupp Heynkes to Kovac at Bayern was a pretty bad one
Tbf, he only played caretaker after we sacked Ancelotti.
However, as it turned out for us, Pep to Ancelotti and Ancelotti to Kovac both were downgrades, although neither of them as steep as Heynckes vs Kovac.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Roger Lemerre to Jacques Santini to Raymond Domenech

France managed to downgrade from 'great', to 'shit', to 'holy feck what is happening?!?!'

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Pep to Ancelotti was ugly as well at Bayern.
I think that was more a clash of approaches rather than a drop in quality. Ancelotti is very relaxed as a personality and after the focus of Guardiola’s years, I remember reading that players weren’t thrilled about the lack of intensity in training and match prep.

Quality wise though, Ancelotti is one of the games greatest with 3 CL’s to his name. Guardiola might never better that for all his plaudits.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Big Sam to Steve Kean. Pretty sure they were comfortable under Big Sam. Relegated with Steve Kean who went to manage in Malaysia afterwards

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I think that was more a clash of approaches rather than a drop in quality. Ancelotti is very relaxed as a personality and after the focus of Guardiola’s years, I remember reading that players weren’t thrilled about the lack of intensity in training and match prep.

Quality wise though, Ancelotti is one of the games greatest with 3 CL’s to his name. Guardiola might never better that for all his plaudits.
I am aware of what Ancelotti did 20 years ago but him taking over from Pep was shocking. I watch most Bayern games and it went from „let’s execute this plan“ to „here is the ball, dribble past your opponent“ within weeks.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I am aware of what Ancelotti did 20 years ago but him taking over from Pep was shocking. I watch most Bayern games and it went from „let’s execute this plan“ to „here is the ball, dribble past your opponent“ within weeks.
Ancelotti has won the CL more recently than Pep. Ok, Bayern didn’t take to his methods and it was a sloppy transition, but I don’t think, purely from a quality standpoint, that it was such a big downgrade.

He just wasn’t the right fit for the club at that time.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Ancelotti has won the CL more recently than Pep. Ok, Bayern didn’t take to his methods and it was a sloppy transition, but I don’t think, purely from a quality standpoint, that it was such a big downgrade.

He just wasn’t the right fit for the club at that time.
Let’s just agree to disagree.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

France managed to downgrade from 'great', to 'shit', to 'holy feck what is happening?!?!'
The situation in 2010 was fascinating. Very rare you see something like that at a major tournament :lol:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The situation in 2010 was fascinating. Very rare you see something like that at a major tournament :lol:
How about a coach that selects his players based on astrology? Or right after losing the world cup final going on his first interview to propose to his girlfriend. Domenech was just next level embarrassment. but nowhere near as much as the FFF deciding to keep him on for that long because Zidane and co got him to a WC final.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
True. I said it with an element of tongue in cheek. Spurs have sold their soul to the devil, much like we did. Maybe they will be happy enough with a trophy or two before the inevitable turbulence. Remains to be seen whether he can deliver that and equal or surpass Pochettino's achievements, however intangible they were.
There was zero sense in Spurs appointing Jose, literally none.

A club that are already stingy with wages and transfers appointing a manager who's very much short term based and often leaves clubs with huge rebuilding tasks when they have a stadium to pay off, it's going to be Mou's biggest meltdown yet, infact it was already heading that way before the suspension. He's likely going to be watching his old Classico foe, ex player and his United successor leaving him trailing in his wake in coming years, it's going to kill him.

They should have gone down the same route Arsenal did by appointing a young modern progressive coach who will patiently build and coach a new side to hopefully (for their sake) in time compete.

GenZRed

People knocking Roy Hodgson on here is unfair. He came into the Liverpool job a well-respected manage ron the continent. He managed Inter Milan for two seasons in the mid-190's and again as caretaker boss in 1999. He had managed at international level with Finland (I know but that's not the point) and had taken Fulham to the Europa league cup final in 2010 and in that season won the LMA Manager of the Year by a record margin.

He is a manager I respect greatly, although Euro 2016 was a shambles.

Robertd0803

Brian Kerr to Steve Staunton for Ireland. Bad to worse.

(Kerr was ok in fairness).

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Has anyone mentioned Fergie to Moyes yet?

Oh, everyone...oh, ok.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He had with him Steve Clarke, Hen Ten Cate and a squad of International captains in the peak of their powers, while he did do some decent things (basically stuck to Jose's core principle's but let the players express themselves a bit more) he would have been tragically out of his depth with any squad we've had from that moment on.
He did alright that season and actually at Portsmouth when they got to FA cup final and might've won if Boateng had scored the penalty at 0-0 (IIRC they pretty matched Chelsea in that game). West Ham got a little carried away though and he was awful, relegating a reasonably decent squad especially as mid season they signed likes of Demba Ba and Robbie Keane.

Anyway though it's not always just letting the team do what they want as Scolari reign was pretty bad and Chelsea were looking good to finish 6th or 7th when he was sacked.

Gazza

People knocking Roy Hodgson on here is unfair. He came into the Liverpool job a well-respected manage ron the continent. He managed Inter Milan for two seasons in the mid-190's and again as caretaker boss in 1999. He had managed at international level with Finland (I know but that's not the point) and had taken Fulham to the Europa league cup final in 2010 and in that season won the LMA Manager of the Year by a record margin.

He is a manager I respect greatly, although Euro 2016 was a shambles.
He was absolutely horrendous for Liverpool, so he suits the criteria pretty well tbf.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Congratulations to David Moyes for finally winning something, (this thread).

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Martin O'Neill to Houllier was a bit of a downgrade for us and started the decade long decline. Houllier not a bad manager but at time we appointed him in September 2010 he'd last managed at Lyon in 2007 and since then had been working part time as a scout for French FA so was in semi retirement.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

Roger Lemerre was not bad but I'd argue that the 98 team was coming to maturity and to an extent was running itself on Aimé Jacquet's principles, while becoming more expansive with the development of its attacking players. I think following Jacquet's departure, it was a slow decrescendo, with Domenech as the final piece.
How about a coach that selects his players based on astrology?
This is a bit of a myth. Domenech was a car crash but this was said more tongue in cheek, but was made out as if he selected his first XI based on the morning's horoscope. It was just a small piece of criteria that he used to understand his players' character.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Capello to Hodgson
Eriksson to McClaren was a far bigger downgrade especially considering England couldn't even qualify for a major tournament in the era when last 4 of CL regularly had three English teams in and there was a decent core of English players in those teams.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Roger Lemerre was not bad but I'd argue that the 98 team was coming to maturity and to an extent was running itself on Aimé Jacquet's principles, while becoming more expansive with the development of its attacking players. I think following Jacquet's departure, it was a slow decrescendo, with Domenech as the final piece.

This is a bit of a myth. Domenech was a car crash but this was said more tongue in cheek, but was made out as if he selected his first XI based on the morning's horoscope. It was just a small piece of criteria that he used to understand his players' character.
I have no problems with Lemerre, I used him as the standard in the comparison, the starting point to measure the downgrade which started with Santini, although I agree that while Lemerre did well, this was a team that didn't need much coaching prowess to win at that point.

And yeah, I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek myself, there's countless more valid reasons why Domenech was a train wreck. I think he's the only coach I've ever felt actual animosity towards in my entire life, felt like he hijacked the national team and no matter how bad it got, he was still in charge.

Needham

Great thread idea when I thought most of the good ones had been done. I'd say Arsenal fans must wonder about George Graham to Bruce Rioch.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Ottmar Hitzfeld - - > Jurgen Klinsmann

Ottmar won the BL and reached the semi final of the UEFA Cup, Klinsmann got sacked near the end after Bayern weren't anywhere near the top and got embarrassed first by Barcelona and then Woflsburg.

That did make way though for the return of Heynckes to management. Took over as a caretaker and then moved to Leverkusen for two seasons, then of course came back to Bayern.

Ottmar Hitzfeld to Nevio Scala to Michael Skibbe to Bernd Krauss

Matthias Sammer to Bert can Marwijk to Jürgen Röber to Thomas Doll

Thomas Tuchel to Peter Bosz to Peter Stöger

Dortmund sure knew how to continuously downgrade to the absolute bottom.