Biggest positive from the summer: Shipping out more deadwood

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Anyone else over the moon with our transfers out this summer?

Only six players remain from the squad Fergie left. That squad, I think we all agree, was an absolute mess. Filled with average, at best, players.

LVG and Woody have done a tremendous job of shifting the deadwood, and this summer has seen them finish the job, more or less:

We have manged to get decent fees for the players also, considering the over-inflated wages they were on. Our wage bill has fell by probably 10% as well.

RVP - £4m
Nani - £6m?
Rafael - £2.5m
Hernandez - £8-12m?
Evans - £6m+2m add-ons
Falcao - Not signed, £300k p/w/ off the wage bill.

We also lost the two most talented players in the squad, but they didn't want to be here and we got good fees.

Well done to LVG for being ruthless, and to Woody for getting the deals sealed.

This was an important part in the process of rebuilding this squad. It will take at least another bumper spending spree next summer to really push on though.

C'est Moi Cantona

Only six players remain from the squad Fergie left. That squad, I think we all agree, was an absolute mess. Filled with average, at best, players.

LVG and Woody have done a tremendous job of shifting the deadwood, and this summer has seen them finish the job, more or less:

We have manged to get decent fees for the players also, considering the over-inflated wages they were on. Our wage bill has fell by probably 10% as well.

RVP - £4m
Nani - £6m?
Rafael - £2.5m
Hernandez - £8-12m?
Evans - £6m+2m add-ons

We also lost the two most talented players in the squad, but they didn't want to be here and we got good fees.

This was an important part in the process of rebuilding this squad. It will take at least another bumper spending spree next summer to really push on though.
Only if we get at least one more player in after Martial, if we don't then I'd happily still have RVP and Nani still with us.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
We've shipped out too much deadwood. Unless we buy 3-4 players before the deadline we really can't afford injuries this season.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I said before it was even happening that RVP a should not be sold so from that respect no I'm not over the moon however when we do eventually get the squad numbers up the squad as a whole will be a hell of a lot stronger yes

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I think the only one I'd keep from all the Van Gaal departures are RVP and Kagawa. That would have left us a little unbalanced but I wouldn't have kept Rooney.

Hernandez is better off elsewhere. Evans was given his chance last season but failed. Almost every departure is justifiably out. Even Januzaj, who was poor in the limited time he was given, but at least he's out on loan.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
I think the only one I'd keep from all the Van Gaal departures are RVP and Kagawa. That would have left us a little unbalanced but I wouldn't have kept Rooney.

Hernandez is better off elsewhere. Evans was given his chance last season but failed. Almost every departure is justifiably out. Even Januzaj, who was poor in the limited time he was given, but at least he's out on loan.
Van Persie as the main striker with Kagawa in the 10 role would have been our line up in 13/14 if Ferguson had stayed on in my opinion. Rooney would be long gone instead of on a £300,000 a week contract until 2019.

jem

I would've kept Nani and Rafael (as good cover,) and perhaps RVP. But don't really lose sleep over any of the departures.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Van Persie as the main striker with Kagawa in the 10 role would have been our line up in 13/14 if Ferguson had stayed on in my opinion. Rooney would be long gone instead of on a £300,000 a week contract until 2019.
Yeah, definitely. Fergie made those two signings, and created the hoopla over Rooney wanting to leave (plus leaving him out of the Madrid CL game) for a reason.

Shame he retired before he finished the job though.

manutddjw

No. It's the opposite because I think this is where we screwed up in the transfer market this summer.

We've been cursed at CB for years with ongoing injuries and even when having 5 CB's on our books we've had to resort to playing Carrick there on occasion. It's true Jonny Evans didn't live up to his early promise, but I'd much rather have him, a natural CB as an option than have to play Carrick there. Good fee for him though.

Rooney isn't the same as he was even a few years ago and we essentially are pinning our hopes on 2 talented, but young and in their first season in the PL player in Memphis and Martial. They were both great signings, but if we are going to have any success this season, they are going to have to deliver for us all season which is asking alot. It would be akin to not having Ronaldo, Rooney or Tevez in 2007 and hoping Nani could carry us that season. We should've kept at least one of RVP, Di Maria or Nani to help us through this season.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
And we would be worse off for it.

GeneralGattuso

Completely agree, but you missed out Cleverley. I could argue that Rafa should have been kept, instead of Valencia, but the rest I am happy to see moved on. All we need to do now is get rid of Rooney, Young and Valencia and replace them with quality players or young, talented backups.

A very close 2nd is that we now have a proper midfield, 3 or 4 players who are really worth having in that area - it's taken us over 5 years to do it but we finally have a central midfield worthy of the name.

marlowe78

No. It's the opposite because I think this is where we screwed up in the transfer market this summer.

We've been cursed at CB for years with ongoing injuries and even when having 5 CB's on our books we've had to resort to playing Carrick there on occasion. It's true Jonny Evans didn't live up to his early promise, but I'd much rather have him, a natural CB as an option than have to play Carrick there. Good fee for him though.
I'm still angry that the CB situation hasn't been dealt with and we seem to have forgotten about it. When preseason began, I think the general feeling was that Smalling is good enough as the regular RCB and we just needed a top level LCB to play alongside of him. We haven't signed one yet, I think largely due to LVG's obsession with having the 'proper foot.' So we're makeshifting Blind as a CB when he has no business in playing there and we also got rid of Evans and loaned Blackett. Injuries are the big issue here - Smalling and Jones are injury-prone and Rojo was already hurt a couple of times last season. If the problem crops up again, we might be stuck with Carrick-Blind, Blind-McNair, or some other ridiculous pairing in key games.

As I've said in other posts, I haven't disputed the players we've cut loose at all. LVG was absolutely correct in getting rid but between this and the loans, we are paper thin for four different competitions this year. Either this will work out brilliantly in the long run or it could blow up in our faces.

ghagua

Other than Rafael, i would have kept all the others until we had some replacements in for them. Even though Evans annoyed me, i would have still kept him above Rojo.

Blodssvik

Some intangibles are definitely lost with player turnover like this. We always had a team with Fergie, now I think we have a collection of players and a lesser man to bring it all together.

KingMinger22

Some intangibles are definitely lost with player turnover like this. We always had a team with Fergie, now I think we have a collection of players and a lesser man to bring it all together.
It's important that the players have talent. In fact, that is the most important factor by far. The players we sold and our old squad before LVG came was severely lacking in talent. It still is, but there has been a big improvement.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Very happy with what has been done, very displeased with what seems to be needed still in my mind.
We've gotten quality players, in positions that were needed. We've gotten top talents in both Depay and (if he signs, and rumors are true) Martial.
We still have Januzaj, despite him being out on loan (no buy clause as far as I've read).

I do feel uncomfortable with our CB options (Jones being injury prone, and we have McNair, Rojo, Blind and Smalling, out of which only Smalling inspires confidence, until we've seen Blind for longer, and Rojo gets a proper go at being Smallings partner).
I also feel like loaning out Januzaj is a bit of a mistake, especially when it is to a team he won't expect to play much more for than our own.

Depay, Martial, Mata, Young, Lingard & Pereira as wide options is good enough, but I think a lot of us feel like we're prone to very big issues of creating something if form drops or players gets injured. Keeping Januzaj would have given us more cover on the creative part (as Lingard, to me, feels more like a cogwheel-backup player)

We also seem a bit prone to setbacks up top with injury, but I'm guessing Van Gaal will see the versatility of his squad and have Fellaini, Rooney, Wilson (if not loaned out), Depay and Martial as good enough striker options. If I don't remember wrong, he has also used Young as a striker or at least something like it before.

On the goalkeeping situation I feel pretty ok.
Either we keep De Gea and he plays as #1, or we sign Navas who hopefully will be prefered before Romero and he (hopefully) settles in the premier league fast.
Would of course prefer De Gea to want to stay and sign a new contract, but that's not really an option it seems.

Rambling done. All just bullshit from a guy on morphine and benzo tonight. :lol:

askabob

Shipping out deadwood is only useful if you sign (better) replacements... which we haven't done in quite a few positions, namely striker and CB. So it's 1 step forward two steps back in that regard.

Red_toad

I'd say the addition of a top class right back & 2 quality centre midfielders are the biggest positive of the summer. Seems they get overlooked as happened earlier in the window & the dorys on here can only live in the here & now.

KingMinger22

I'd say the addition of a top class right back & 2 quality centre midfielders are the biggest positive of the summer. Seems they get overlooked as happened earlier in the window & the dorys on here can only live in the here & now.
Everyone is happy with those additions.

It's our attack and central defence, or lack of rather, that people are concerned by.

Our attacking options are, frankly, embarrassing for a club like United.

Red_toad

Everyone is happy with those additions.

It's our attack and central defence, or lack of rather, that people are concerned by.

Our attacking options are, frankly, embarrassing for a club like United.
Thread doesn't ask what the negatives were!

crossy1686

career ending
I'd rather we give out reserve players a chance than keep players like Hernandez and Nani. Moyes should have dealt with this two years ago.

RedRover

RVP - £4m
Nani - £6m?
Rafael - £2.5m
Hernandez - £8-12m?
Evans - £6m+2m add-ons

No quality cover at the back, out wide or upfront.

I'd have brought more in if I was moving this many out. This squad won't handle 50 plus games.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Biggest positive? The stadium wasn't blown up by ISIS?

RedRover

That's great. Maybe Schneiderlin will score 25 goals this year or Carrick will become the reincarnation of Bobby Moore.

Perhaps the "dorys" on here recognise that being strong in one area of the pitch while having gaping holes elsewhere is likely to cause problems over a seasons worth of football. Just a thought.

pacifictheme

I would have kept Rafael, Cleverley, Nani and RVP. We look very thin and inexperienced wuth too few leaders as well.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Rafael, Nani and Welbeck would have been useful to keep; Di Maria for another season too in a side with Depay could have been awesome. Everyone else rightfully gone, just wish Rooney had gone with them.

Red_Beans

Very happy with all the departures bar De Gea, but I don't blame the club or management for that. The rest needed to go, not good enough or didn't want to be here.

Very happy with all our signings, our first 11 is so much stronger now. I honestly believe we are one class attacking player away from having a very good team.

All the negativity around is getting old

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Here's the thing about the summer. Most of the deals we have done make sense. The Martial one is pretty crazy but I don't really feel qualified to say whether it is going to pay off or not, what is quite evident is there is a huge premium on the top talent and we are not alone in either having to leave it (like Arsenal) or bite (like City). BUT for all that I am not sure we are stronger. De Gea and Di Maria probably were our best players. If De Gea really is staying another year we need to get arms around him asap.

The reported fees for Nani and Hernandez seem poor to me. Di Maria, Rafael and RVP understandable, Evans a good deal. The deal for De Gea sounded ok too.

On the buying side I think all our ins bar possibly Martial look like great business. Martial may pay off too.

I strongly think we should be after Yarmolenko today. Very good player available for not much and could make a huge contribution.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
We can moan at LVG and I have but he's got balls. He said it would be this kind of a summer and he's meant it. Unless we meet the buy out clauses it's not going to be easy but hopefully we've 2/3 more deals to come. We really need a few more bodies not just for the squad but to excite people. That kind of energy can lift a team and though we've signed this kid for a lot of money - people don't know how to feel yet. A performance against Liverpool and it might be all different. It's going to be an interesting next few seasons and i'm sure it will be alright but we just risk leaving ourselves short.

United again!

We are floating around in the shallows with a mast and sails bobbing next to us, at least we sold all of the dead wood.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
it's beeen two years too late unfortunately and has set us back but this was needed. if we build from here, only buying players that will improve us and get us challenging for honours then we will be back at the top soon. look at the squad moyes inherited, compare it to the squads of city, chelsea, arsenal, even liverpool and we were miles behind in a lot of areas. we are a lot closer now, we're just a little light. i fully expect that to be sorted by this time next year.