Biggest United transfer (foreigners and foreign clubs only)

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Veron I reckon. Despite Pogba breaking the World Transfer fee record I don't think he had the reputation that Veron acquired in Serie A when he moved to Utd. It might also have been that at that stage too we had never signed a big named South American player.

svn

Another vote for Veron. It was such a big transfer at the time, and completely unlike anything we'd done before.

KeanoMagicHat

Di Maria, he had just been man of the match in a Champions League final and very good in a World Cup. He was exceptional in the previous season and was probably top 10 players in the world at that point.

lysglimt

Scout
I would say Veron - without a doubt, as he was generally considered one of the worlds best players at the time - no one else was

Veron. Serie A had been the best league in the world for 15 years. It was thr first time a player in their prime left Serie A for the Premier League.

Barthez was very high profile when he signed too.

Recently Di Maria

Himannv

Kinda left field but wouldn't Teddy Sheringham be considered? England international and Spurs legend by this point
If we're including British players, then Denis Law from Torino would probably be one of our biggest. Signed for a British record transfer fee at the time (incidentally it also cost a British record fee when Torino signed him from City). He won the Ballon D'Or two years later.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Veron. Was so excited when he joined.

I never was that excited over the likes of Pogba and Di Maria

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I have to say Veron. I honestly thought we would walk the league with him. In the team. I was delighted when we got him. He was class before he came to us.
Had high hopes for Mkytharian but alas he didn't really work out either.