Other Bill Burr

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Is he ranting about cancel culture and how comedian's don't have a voice and what not which seems to prevalent in standup specials these days? If not, I'll definitely give this a go. His earlier specials are some of my favorites.
No

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Is he ranting about cancel culture and how comedian's don't have a voice and what not which seems to prevalent in standup specials these days? If not, I'll definitely give this a go. His earlier specials are some of my favorites.
Well, from Netflix’s own blurb:

Comedian Bill Burr sounds off on cancel culture, feminism, getting bad reviews from his wife and a life-changing epiphany during a fiery stand-up set.

Suv666

Comedian Bill Burr sounds off on cancel culture, feminism, getting bad reviews from his wife and a life-changing epiphany during a fiery stand-up set.
Ah man so sick of the cancel culture bashing standup genre. It was maybe funny in 2016 not anymore.
The old comedians have become fecking lazy and obsessed with internet culture.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Ah man so sick of the cancel culture bashing standup genre. It was maybe funny in 2016 not anymore.
In his last Netflix special (the last one I saw anyway, Paper Tigers) he touched on culture war stuff but in a very different way to the likes of Ricky Gervais. Was much less sympathetic to people who moan about it. Plus he was actually funny.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The man is acerbic. He obviously covers that shite. But he doesn’t bleat about it.

He’s spoken about the need to begin his special in a way that openly criticises both sides of everything, as he needs a unified audience and not a divided one. By the end, you realise that’s what he did.

However… if hearing some cheap shots at the start would make you turn it off, fast forward the first 15 minutes. Watch the rest, I promise you’ll return to listen to the shit you think you’re bored with. I say this as someone who’s also so far gone on that kind of shit.

It’s possibly his best special. Probably his second best as it has fewer belly laughs as some others. Without doubt his smartest piece of work.

He’s always tolerable as he’s not a grifter. He’s the best joke writer in comedy and the whole thing sees him look inward. He’s never trying to make the world shrink to fit his views, and directly addresses all the shit he Carrie’s around and how much he wants to change.

It’s really good. Some dickhead is going to complain about something after seeing it out of context soon, so watch it before other people make their minds up about it.

UnrelatedPsuedo

He’s talented enough to have those as topics, without seeing them as problems that need to be eradicated.

“When are you gonna start picking up your end of the couch” is a delicious punchline.

My girlfriend Laughed her ass off and she has zero time for most stand up comedy.

UnrelatedPsuedo

In his last Netflix special (the last one I saw anyway, Paper Tigers) he touched on culture war stuff but in a very different way to the likes of Ricky Gervais. Was much less sympathetic to people who moan about it. Plus he was actually funny.
Bill Burr is as good at comedy as Ricky Gervais thinks he is.

Paper Tiger was great. Live at Red Rocks is lots better.

Burr would be buried in the garden if he was anything other than a progressive, loving feminist. His wife is a force of nature. This special will probably be clipped up and misrepresented. He’s just a regular dude that knows his place in life.

Eriku

The man is acerbic. He obviously covers that shite. But he doesn’t bleat about it.

He’s spoken about the need to begin his special in a way that openly criticises both sides of everything, as he needs a unified audience and not a divided one. By the end, you realise that’s what he did.

However… if hearing some cheap shots at the start would make you turn it off, fast forward the first 15 minutes. Watch the rest, I promise you’ll return to listen to the shit you think you’re bored with. I say this as someone who’s also so far gone on that kind of shit.

It’s possibly his best special. Probably his second best as it has fewer belly laughs as some others. Without doubt his smartest piece of work.

He’s always tolerable as he’s not a grifter. He’s the best joke writer in comedy and the whole thing sees him look inward. He’s never trying to make the world shrink to fit his views, and directly addresses all the shit he Carrie’s around and how much he wants to change.

It’s really good. Some dickhead is going to complain about something after seeing it out of context soon, so watch it before other people make their minds up about it.
Seconded. I am sick of those kind of noises coming from huge names that constantly sell out. I also started going onstage myself in 2019, and believe me, you can still get away with horrendous shit if it’s funny. I was kinda worried when he started wading into that, but as you say it was a good way to show his lack of allegiance to either side of the spectrum, and the special was quality.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He’s talented enough to have those as topics, without seeing them as problems that need to be eradicated.

“When are you gonna start picking up your end of the couch” is a delicious punchline.

My girlfriend Laughed her ass off and she has zero time for most stand up comedy.
Touché, I’m glad to hear he’s moved beyond the tropes because he has without doubt been guilty of the tired nonsense in recent years and I say that as a big fan of some of his older stuff.

I saw him live in Manchester years ago and laughed so hard I ached.

Suv666

Yeah Bill Burr is actually funny unlike trans hating Gervais. Still feel like everything about cancel culture has been explored by Bill Burr himself and his contemporaries.

If he still manages to find novel and funny jokes about the topic then fair play.

Conor

He's one of the few properly funny guys that has managed to evolve past the whole cancel culture nonsense, and is open to accepting things he may have previously slated. Looking forward to watching it, although I didn't think his last special was very funny.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Yeah Bill Burr is actually funny unlike trans hating Gervais. Still feel like everything about cancel culture has been explored by Bill Burr himself and his contemporaries.

If he still manages to find novel and funny jokes about the topic then fair play.
His bit about Sean Connery and Coco Chanel is flawless. Well crafted. Jokes within jokes. Quite a long bit but has bags of punchlines, a few golden cheapies too.

cyberman

At the height of me too he went on a rant about cancel culture because his agent was found to contact victims and threaten their careers if they didn’t back off. I think he was acting for Louis CK.
It was a low point for Bill and his subsequent rant about backing the agent and there’s nothing anybody can do about it. Ever since then I’ve felt uneasy about Bill going down that avenue. It’s really down to stars like Bill who allowed woman to go through that imo.
And I’m a massive Bill fan

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Why is nobody talking about his new special? Cant believe I’m first. It’s probably his second best, and his best in over a decade.
Looking forward to watching it this weekend.

Which one do you consider to be his no.1 special? 'You people are all the same' is my favourite by a fair distance. His opening segment about guns is probably my favourite bit of his. The Arnie stuff is great too.

Rewatched it recently and it still holds up well, it's just a bit strange seeing him with all that hair now.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap

it’s not “ranting“ though. It’s well crafted jokes.

UnrelatedPsuedo

At the height of me too he went on a rant about cancel culture because his agent was found to contact victims and threaten their careers if they didn’t back off. I think he was acting for Louis CK.
It was a low point for Bill and his subsequent rant about backing the agent and there’s nothing anybody can do about it. Ever since then I’ve felt uneasy about Bill going down that avenue. It’s really down to stars like Bill who allowed woman to go through that imo.
And I’m a massive Bill fan
All good if we disagree, but Bills comments about his manager are admirable to me. I don’t remember your bolded happening. He said the below, verbatim, on his podcast which is still up

“I stand by my f—king manager. I’m never firing the guy,” Burr fumed. “I’ve been with this guy since 2006. Dave Becky is one of the great people I’ve met in this business. I wouldn’t be surprised if [the media goes] after Louis C.K.’s mailman saying, ‘If you’re delivering his mail you’re part of the problem.’”

I’m not trying to get you to agree with me btw. If you could ‘prove’ the bold, perhaps I move closer to your point of view. But it’s still pretty muddy. He’s not sticking up for someone that committed acts of sexual harassment. He’s sticking up for a guy that tried to protect a client. It’s still shitty (if true).

But ultimately…. I’d compare it to wanting the best criminal defence lawyer in the world working for me if I was accused of murder. The lawyer has a job to do. That he’d worked with murderers in the past would not bother me. I’m not going to jail. Get me Cochran and Caitlyn. [This is a thread about comedy. I should not need to point out the obvious joke]

UnrelatedPsuedo

Looking forward to watching it this weekend.

Which one do you consider to be his no.1 special? 'You people are all the same' is my favourite by a fair distance. His opening segment about guns is probably my favourite bit of his. The Arnie stuff is great too.

Rewatched it recently and it still holds up well, it's just a bit strange seeing him with all that hair now.
Same. I love it so much that I don’t want to say the new one is better. It probably is. It’s better written, has more jokes per minute, is smarter, has far more elegant tags…. But the angry ginger guy was raw and a little wild and unpredictable.

cyberman

All good if we disagree, but Bills comments about his manager are admirable to me. I don’t remember your bolded happening. He said the below, verbatim, on his podcast which is still up

“I stand by my f—king manager. I’m never firing the guy,” Burr fumed. “I’ve been with this guy since 2006. Dave Becky is one of the great people I’ve met in this business. I wouldn’t be surprised if [the media goes] after Louis C.K.’s mailman saying, ‘If you’re delivering his mail you’re part of the problem.’”

I’m not trying to get you to agree with me btw. If you could ‘prove’ the bold, perhaps I move closer to your point of view. But it’s still pretty muddy. He’s not sticking up for someone that committed acts of sexual harassment. He’s sticking up for a guy that tried to protect a client. It’s still shitty (if true).

But ultimately…. I’d compare it to wanting the best criminal defence lawyer in the world working for me if I was accused of murder. The lawyer has a job to do. That he’d worked with murderers in the past would not bother me. I’m not going to jail. Get me Cochran and Caitlyn. [This is a thread about comedy. I should not need to point out the obvious joke]
They also told the Times their managers were soon contacted by C.K.’s manager Dave Becky, who wanted the women to stop telling people what had happened with his client. Goodman and Wolov said they still worry about Becky, and in the 16 years since C.K. invited them to his hotel room, they have taken themselves out the running for multiple projects Becky — a prominent agent to stars like Kevin Hart and Amy Poehler — has been involved in.

That’s just the first result that came up. It’s not even what I read at the time that made me uneasy but it’s in the ballpark.
Trying to silence victims is a shitty thing to do. For Bill to stand by that is almost as low imo

Edit
https://deadline.com/2017/11/louis-...-scandal-what-i-did-was-wrong-1202207195/amp/

Even the agent admitted he was wrong, Bill just goes against public opinion every time and it seems like a character flaw. Still brilliant though

UnrelatedPsuedo

They also told the Times their managers were soon contacted by C.K.’s manager Dave Becky, who wanted the women to stop telling people what had happened with his client. Goodman and Wolov said they still worry about Becky, and in the 16 years since C.K. invited them to his hotel room, they have taken themselves out the running for multiple projects Becky — a prominent agent to stars like Kevin Hart and Amy Poehler — has been involved in.

That’s just the first result that came up. It’s not even what I read at the time that made me uneasy but it’s in the ballpark.
Trying to silence victims is a shitty thing to do. For Bill to stand by that is almost as low imo

Edit
https://deadline.com/2017/11/louis-...-scandal-what-i-did-was-wrong-1202207195/amp/

Even the agent admitted he was wrong, Bill just goes against public opinion every time and it seems like a character flaw. Still brilliant though
Yeah, fair go. It’s garbage. I wasn’t aware that the lines of sight were that clear. Thanks for sharing. I simply wouldn’t have been bothered.

I’m still going to be an asshat and say that the deeds/actions are nowhere near close enough for me to reconsider the art itself though. Defending someone that is arms length removed from a grotty person doing nasty shit is fair enough. You’re a better human than me.

Mike Smalling

Got through about 10 minutes of that. I don't know. I usually really like him, and have found him hilarious in his Late Night appearances, but this subject matter is just done to death. Came off very much like 'Old man yells at clouds'. Maybe I should try some of his earlier specials.

Red Stone

The worst thing about the new special is the audience. I've never been to Colorado, but the people there seem fecking insufferable, as evidenced by the fact that Lance Armstrong moved there.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Got through about 10 minutes of that. I don't know. I usually really like him, and have found him hilarious in his Late Night appearances, but this subject matter is just done to death. Came off very much like 'Old man yells at clouds'. Maybe I should try some of his earlier specials.

I said this earlier;

“However… if hearing some cheap shots at the start would make you turn it off, fast forward the first 15 minutes. Watch the rest, I promise you’ll return to listen to the shit you think you’re bored with. I say this as someone who’s also so far gone on that kind of shit”

I reckon that would have gone over better Live. So skip the first 17 minutes and 53 seconds (I just checked). I’d say the Special starts there. 1:04 minute running time after that.

Put faith in the fact that he’s a loving father and husband who gives his wife free reign to tear him to pieces on his podcast whenever she walks in the room. Assume that all jokes are jokes.

The Gervais, Rogans and hacky stand ups have kind of fcuked up comedy. There’s not a truly mean joke in this whole thing.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Would happily never sit through another minute of a comedian whining about cancel culture but tbf I saw someone else say the same as @UnrelatedPsuedo, that this special eases up after the first 20min.

AkaAkuma

I really enjoyed this latest special, it’s targets are mostly the differences between men and women, feminism and how dumb men can be.

the bits on married men and lesbians, happy gay couples had me laughing out loud.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It helps that Burr's stage persona is self-deprecating where Gervais' is smug. And his social commentary carries a lot less weight that someone like Chappelle's, whose more off-base stuff jars with me more because it's coming from the sort of comedian who makes specials like 8:46.

In terms of how tolerable this this type of comedy is, style matters a lot.

UnrelatedPsuedo

And his social commentary carries a lot less weight that someone like Chappelle's, whose more off-base stuff jars with me more because it's coming from the sort of comedian who makes specials like 8:46.
Agreed. Chapelle can Fcuk ALL THE WAY OFF asking people to listen to him bleat on about black lives and his royalties from ChapelleShow, while he decides to target a whole section of society. He’s a hypocrite.

He’s also the best stand up comedian on the planet and I respect him for that. There are funny black/Asian/gay/trans/whatever jokes. His bit about the car and the Alphabet people going somewhere = genius. But the other 50 are shit, and represent hate speech at this point. I booed him in Hammersmith, many others did too. Someone shouted ‘Say something funny’, which brought the house down.

Tyrion

It comes across as them just moaning about being criticised. Maher does it (though he's barely a comedian at this point) and Gervais is bad at it too. They're just being middle aged men whining.

Charlie Foley

About half an hour in right now. It’s decent but not his absolute best so far imo. He didn’t hang too long on the cancel culture stuff and it was better than most who do it for what it was.

crowd not great

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

He doesn’t go down the path about ranting about comedians not having a voice, or indulge in the worst excesses of the genre. But he also doesn’t have anything new to say about it. It’s not the overarching theme of the set though, just the first section, and it’s not painful to sit through like Gervais and co. Not his best but still pretty funny on the whole.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Wasnt it filmed in 2021 or late 2020

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The worst thing about the new special is the audience. I've never been to Colorado, but the people there seem fecking insufferable, as evidenced by the fact that Lance Armstrong moved there.
Reminds me of that time Burr came out and absolutely tore into a shitty audience for 30 minutes straight instead of doing his set :lol:

Wing Attack Plan R

He's funny but I find myself only being able to handle about 15 minutes of one of his stand-up performances before he just becomes tiresome. Listening to him gets exhausting, and I'm not sure the jokes that do land are a big enough counterbalance.