Other Bill Burr

Ladron de redcafe

He’s making a very simple point about pay being relative to appeal. If and when women’s sports attracts the same crowds (paying the same money for tickets) then it would obviously be unfair for them to not get paid the same as male athletes. Until then….

The notion that only men turn up to male sports and only women turn up to female sports is obviously stretching the truth for the sake of being funny. Although the general trend that much higher % of men invest time and money in supporting their favourite team is obviously true.
And that was the case with Ronda Rousey who deservedly got paid more than the men because she was a bigger draw when she was in the middle of her run.

cyberman

He’s making a very simple point about pay being relative to appeal. If and when women’s sports attracts the same crowds (paying the same money for tickets) then it would obviously be unfair for them to not get paid the same as male athletes. Until then….

The notion that only men turn up to male sports and only women turn up to female sports is obviously stretching the truth for the sake of being funny. Although the general trend that much higher % of men invest time and money in supporting their favourite team is obviously true.
Yeah but isn’t this about the womens American soccer dispute about getting paid less than men? He should really have referenced womens basketball as he does on his podcast since the women actually do bring in higher attendances than the men and this
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/07/10...world-cup-final-was-higher-than-the-mens.html
Maybe it’s more of a use soccer since it isn’t part of the big 4 in America angle to really ram home his joke but it’s the wrong choice imo.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah but isn’t this about the womens American soccer dispute about getting paid less than men? He should really have referenced womens basketball as he does on his podcast since the women actually do bring in higher attendances than the men and this
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/07/10...world-cup-final-was-higher-than-the-mens.html
Maybe it’s more of a use soccer since it isn’t part of the big 4 in America angle to really ram home his joke but it’s the wrong choice imo.
The bit that clip is taken from is about the woman’s basketball league. I don’t think soccer is on his radar.

Soccer got drawn into the discussion because some smart arse on Twitter thought the big attendances at a handful of women’s soccer matches made him look stupid.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I'd love to see the stadiums packed with the womens game on, 95% ladies supporting their chosen team, the way blokes do. That will be the biggest driver of investment in the game.

cyberman

The bit that clip is taken from is about the woman’s basketball league. I don’t think soccer is on his radar.

Soccer got drawn into the discussion because some smart arse on Twitter thought the big attendances at a handful of women’s soccer matches made him look stupid.
He is talking about nobody going to womens soccer games and not caring about it unless there’s more edited out?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
He is talking about nobody going to womens soccer games and not caring about it unless there’s more edited out?
I haven’t watched the clip. I watched the whole bit. Which is mainly about the basketball. I don’t remember him mentioning soccer. If he did it was in passing.

Anyway, we all know that the gate revenues from professional woman’s club football is a fraction of the men’s game. In America and everywhere else. I don’t see how female professional footballers can have the same earnings as men unless their club careers are equally as lucrative.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Personally I think everyone should get equal pay within any organisation, its the equitable thing to do and redresses historical exclusion, and injustices.

The markets however say they should be paid less.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
He's talking about sport in general rather than soccer and he then does go on to the WNBA:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Personally I think everyone should get equal pay within any organisation, its the equitable thing to do and redresses historical exclusion, and injustices.

The markets however say they should be paid less.
That’s the thing. Employees of the organisations that oversee mens and women’s football do get equal pay (based on merit rather than gender anyway).

But they’re different organisations. The men are employed by clubs that can afford to pay them a hell of a lot more than the clubs that employ the women. Because the ‘product’ the mens clubs produce is much more highly sought after. I presume there’s no barrier to a super talented female player turning out for a male team (on the same pay as her male team mates) although I could be wrong about that.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
That’s the thing. Employees of the organisations that oversee mens and women’s football do get equal pay (based on merit rather than gender anyway).

But they’re different organisations. The men are employed by clubs that can afford to pay them a hell of a lot more than the clubs that employ the women. Because the ‘product’ the mens clubs produce is much more highly sought after. I presume there’s no barrier to a super talented female player turning out for a male team (on the same pay as her male team mates) although I could be wrong about that.
Yeah, that's our system but I do enjoy watching more and more people complain about how unfair it is.

Also this conversation is not just about market feasibility. The men's game in the US was subsidised and financed while running at a loss for years though. It wasn't just left to the markets. If it was it would be dead.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

Not that it has any real bearing on what you're all discussing, but iirc mixed adult football is no bueno, even at local organised league level.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Not that it has any real bearing on what you're all discussing, but iirc mixed adult football is no bueno, even at local organised league level.
Yeah, as soon as I said that I remembered the way kids football works in Ireland. Girls can only play in boys teams up to a certain age. I think it might be 14? Presume the same in the UK.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Yeah, as soon as I said that I remembered the way kids football works in Ireland. Girls can only play in boys teams up to a certain age. I think it might be 14? Presume the same in the UK.
I actually think it's gone up here, but I'm not sure if it's at 16 or 18.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I actually think it's gone up here, but I'm not sure if it's at 16 or 18.
It’s a bit of a weird one. I’ve never really thought about why? Obviously good to have men excluded from women’s teams in interest of fairness but why is the opposite necessary? Safety, I guess? But any girl/woman who chooses to play in a boys/mens team know what they’re letting themselves in for.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
It’s a bit of a weird one. I’ve never really thought about why? Obviously good to have men excluded from women’s teams in interest of fairness but why is the opposite necessary? Safety, I guess? But any girl/woman who chooses to play in a boys/mens team know what they’re letting themselves in for.
Must be safety. I know in New Zealand junior rugby is done by weight and not age for safety.

I heard a vile comment at my nephew's under 11 game, when someone asked if it was mixed, 'yeah, lads and dykes' . 11 year olds. And of course I was the one asked to leave.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Must be safety. I know in New Zealand junior rugby is done by weight and not age for safety.

I heard a vile comment at my nephew's under 11 game, when someone asked if it was mixed, 'yeah, lads and dykes' . 11 year olds. And of course I was the one asked to leave.
Fecking hell. That’s disgraceful. Was this one of the local clubs in Sligo?

The club my lad plays for used to have a sprinkling of girls through the younger boys teams but they’ve got girls teams across all the age groups now, from U9 up. The girls who used to play with boys are by far their best players. But there’s obviously massive selection bias, so impossible to know how much their development was helped by playing in boys teams.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Fecking hell. That’s disgraceful. Was this one of the local clubs in Sligo?

The club my lad plays for used to have a sprinkling of girls through the younger boys teams but they’ve got girls teams across all the age groups now, from U9 up. The girls who used to play with boys are by far their best players. But there’s obviously massive selection bias, so impossible to know how much their development was helped by playing in boys teams.
No, it was a team from deepest Wicklow playing Blesssington. Yeah there is one girl on the nephew's team who is a ball playing centre half, she was ridiculous, at 11. Or are they allowed be year older?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
No, it was a team from deepest Wicklow playing Blesssington. Yeah there is one girl on the nephew's team who is a ball playing centre half, she was ridiculous, at 11. Or are they allowed be year older?
Ah. The Blessington facilities are great. Shame (some of) the parents are cnuts.

I can’t remember the rules tbh. I think they can mix it up until they’re 14? Could be wrong. Haven’t seen any girls in the boys teams we play against since about U12. But that’s the top division, which might be a factor.

My main memory of girls at the club playing against boys was at a summer blitz where an U12 American girl who was over for the summer was playing in defence sending boys (including my son) flying with flawless block tackles. The look on their faces…

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
“Hey buddy, you’re making a lot of racket out here aren’t you?” :lol:

fergieisold

I'd love to see the stadiums packed with the womens game on, 95% ladies supporting their chosen team, the way blokes do. That will be the biggest driver of investment in the game.
It would be great. But I don't see it happening. If women were into football on a larger scale I'm assuming they'd end up watching the better version of the game?

arnie_ni

Came to post the wnba joke been seen it's been discussed.

Pretty much nails it