Billy No Mates Draft

Physiocrat

Has No Mates

OP shameless based upon Gio's Sheep Draft OP. Also props to Gio to an excellently run Sheep draft.

Rules

• The draft will be all-time (any player ever is eligible) snake style.
  • Snake -Style: The teams will be put in a random order then the first on the list gets first pick going down to 16 but then drafter 16 gets two picks then drafter 15 picks working back up the snake until we've finished all the squads.
  • Initial squads will be formed of 12 players
  • The only limitation is that none of the starting 11 can ever have played with each other at club or international level (the sub however can have played with one of the other starting 11 but can only be used as a sub if he replaces the player he played with, and obviously never played with anyone else).

'Played together at club level' will be defined as sharing at least one season with another player at the same club; if they did not move prior to the start of the league season e.g 15/16, they will have shared the season 14/15 as well as 15/16. They do not need to have been on the same pitch at the same time.

'Played together at international level' will be defined as being in the same squad for a major tournament; again they need not have been on the pitch at the same time nor on the pitch at all. If they played together but were not in any of the competitions below they can both be picked and be played together in the same draft side.

Major Tournaments include only the following:

The World Cup (1930-2014)

The Euros (1960-2012)

Copa America (1916-2015)

African Cup of Nations (1957-2015)

The Asian Cup (1956-2015)

The OFC (1973-2012)
  • The competition format will be straight knockout. Players will be judged on their prime as per the usual fare.
  • No naming or hinting of unpicked players. Managers and any assistant(s) can vote in any game bar their own. No semi-finalists can vote in the semi-finals.
  • Submissions for match thread OPs should not exceed 1 post. Your players (and voters) will switch off if you can't get your team-talk across in less than 1 post.

Deadlines

8 hours starting on Monday 25th January 1700 GMT.

Please post the players name and a picture when submitting. Then tag the next drafter and post the updated squad list.

No changing of picks once submitted. If a player pick is invalid (picking a player who has played with two or more of the other players already drafted) then the drafter can re-pick asap however the deadline operations will continue to be the same. e.g. If the drafter doesn't realise his pick is ineligible until coming back online after 6 hrs the picks made after his invalid one are legit; obviously, courtesy to point this out to the drafter asap is encouraged.

Scoring System

A modified scoring system will be in play. Voters will have 12 scorelines to choose from. Whichever manager has the most votes for scorelines in their favour is the winner. Should there be a draw, the scorelines will be tallied up to find a winner. So, in order of priority:

1. Who has the most votes (regardless of scorelines) in his favour?
2. Who has the best "goal difference" based on the scorelines people have voted for?

1-0 --- 2 votes
2-1 --- 1 vote
2-0 --- 0 votes
3-0 --- 0 votes
3-1 --- 0 votes
3-2 --- 1 votes
2-3 --- 2 votes
1-3 --- 0 votes
0-3 --- 1 vote
1-2 --- 1 vote
0-2 --- 0 votes
0-1 --- 0 votes

Four votes say A wins, four say B wins. Draw. But:

Goal difference:
A: 7-3
B: 11-5

B wins on "goal difference".

It may still be vulnerable to outlier votes and the like, but it's less random than penalties.

Summed up: Format remains essentially the same - but the scorelines add a bit of flavour, and can be used to determine the winner in the case of a draw.

In the unlikely event of penalties, a group of neutrals (any volunteers?) will group the goalkeepers into three tiers and award a sliding handicap on that basis. Minutiae to be confirmed.

Reinforcements

After the first round and quarter finals a maximum of two players can be drafted. After the semi-final only one can be drafted.

All players from the defeated squads are eligible for drafting.

The drafting for the quarters will be in reverse snake order - the 1st drafter will pick last and the 16th will go first.

Reinforcements for the semis and final will be Lamb style.

Deadlines-

Pick 1 - 24 hours (after the final game of the round is concluded)
Pick 2 - 12 hours
Pick 3 - 12 hours

No changing of picks once submitted.

Let's say A, B, C, D and E are playing the draft.

All 5 managers PM me their picks as follows (cricket examples):

Pick 1 :

A : Shane Warne
B : Shane Warne
C : Don Bradman
D : Viv Richards
E : Malcolm Marshall

According to the rules, A and B don't get any players and their picks fail. C, D and E successfully sign their players. So, at the end of the deadline someone will post something like this :

Results of Round 1, Pick 1 :

A : Fail
B : Fail
C : Don Bradman

D : Viv Richards
E : Malcolm Marshall

Important : successfully drafted players will be announced after each drafting round unlike Sheep Drafting. So the managers going into the second/third attempt will know which players have been picked. Now, A and B have to submit again for the same criteria as their second attempt etc. Shane Warne though will still be eligible for picking in round 2 and 3 of reinforcement drafting; he is only blocked in the round where more than one drafter picks him.

The purpose of this system is to avoid the occasional advantage to the drafter with the first pick for reinforcements, normally where there is one stand out player and whoever goes first picks him. Reinforcement drafting after quarters will be double pick rounds. If you're successful with one but fail with the other, then you just pick a single player in the next drafting reinforcement round.

Drafting Order

1. joga bonito
  2. Sjor Bepo/Viva Januzaj
  3. harms
  4. mazhar13
  5. Tuppet
  6. Physiocrat
  7. The Stain
  8. Balu/crappy
  9. Stobzilla
  10. RedTiger/Marty1968
  11. diarm
  12. Gio
  13. Aldo
  14. EAP/Pat/Skizzo
  15. Enigma_87/MJJ
  16. Invictus/ Theon

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Calling all drafters please let me know whether you have AMs and I'll update the OP.

@Skizzo
@Theon
@Snow
@VivaJanuzaj

Could any of you please do the draw and post the image then we can get the ball rolling? Random.org seems to the be site of choice for this.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
feck the draw, let's take the order above.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
List Randomizer
There were 16 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

1. 10) joga bonito
  2. 7) Sjor Bepo
  3. 5) harms
  4. 12) mazhar13
  5. 6) Tuppet
  6. 13) Physiocrat
  7. 11) The Stain
  8. 1) Balu
  9. 8) Stobzilla
  10. 14) RedTiger
  11. 9) diarm
  12. 15) Gio
  13. 3) Aldo
  14. 4) EAP
  15. 16) Enigma_87
  16. 2) Invictus
Timestamp: 2016-01-24 16:50:07 UTC, IP: 109.149.41.160

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
List Randomizer

1. 10) joga bonito
  2. 7) Sjor Bepo
  3. 5) harms
  4. 12) mazhar13
  5. 6) Tuppet
  6. 13) Physiocrat
  7. 11) The Stain
  8. 1) Balu
  9. 8) Stobzilla
  10. 14) RedTiger
  11. 9) diarm
  12. 15) Gio
  13. 3) Aldo
  14. 4) EAP
  15. 16) Enigma_87
  16. 2) Invictus
Well done @Stobzilla , well done. :mad:

The Drafting Order

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
The Drafting Order

1. joga bonito
  2. Sjor Bepo/Viva Januzaj
  3. harms
  4. mazhar13
  5. Tuppet
  6. Physiocrat
  7. The Stain
  8. Balu/Crappy
  9. Stobzilla
  10. RedTiger/Marty1968
  11. diarm
  12. Gio
  13. Aldo
  14. EAP/Pat/Skizzo
  15. Enigma_87/ MJJ
  16. Invictus/ Theon

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
List Randomizer

1. 10) joga bonito
  2. 7) Sjor Bepo
  3. 5) harms
  4. 12) mazhar13
  5. 6) Tuppet
  6. 13) Physiocrat
  7. 11) The Stain
  8. 1) Balu
  9. 8) Stobzilla
  10. 14) RedTiger
  11. 9) diarm
  12. 15) Gio
  13. 3) Aldo
  14. 4) EAP
  15. 16) Enigma_87
  16. 2) Invictus

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Anyone interested to co-manage with me?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
The purpose of this system is to avoid the occasional massive advantage to the drafter with the first pick for reinforcements.
Come on, The #1 draft pick has a massive advantage to start with. Bottom orders can even that up only by getting starting picks in reinforcements and you eliminate that? How's that fair? Not at all!

Don't really get the 'massive advantage' gotten by 1st in reinforcement that being 1st in original draft does not get.

At least start the lamb style from Semis, giving both ends a first pick.

diarm

I have never seen @Joga Bonito draft a bad side. Giving that fecker first pick is like giving a shark a torpedo.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Just 2 questions regarding the rules @Physiocrat

1. Reinforcements:
Wouldn't it be a bit fairer to go to the lamb style reinforcements after the quarterfinals? To balance the advantage of picking first now, there should be at least one round that starts in the opposite direction in my opinion

2. Voting
Has the new voting system really been a success? I didn't follow the last draft closely enough to tell, but I think it sucked and the original one was better. But that's just my opinion, I'm happy if I'm on my own with that and play with the rules in the op.

Enigma_87

You know who
Just 2 questions regarding the rules @Physiocrat

1. Reinforcements:
Wouldn't it be a bit fairer to go to the lamb style reinforcements after the quarterfinals? To balance the advantage of picking first now, there should be at least one round that starts in the opposite direction in my opinion

2. Voting
Has the new voting system really been a success? I didn't follow the last draft closely enough to tell, but I think it sucked and the original one was better. But that's just my opinion, I'm happy if I'm on my own with that and play with the rules in the op.
Yeah I think point 1 makes sense as that would even up a bit the draw.

as for 2 I think the new voting system is a bit better. There was quite a few penalties in previous draft which IMO were a bit boring and all luck..