Bitter spat between Man United technical director Darren Fletcher and angry fan at Old Trafford - with Scott McTominay also involved

ti vu

Urgh, how many times can people misattribute a quote. RR does know why he's on the bench, and values him being there - when we lost McKenna, Carrick and that other coach there were few coaches that had a link with the players. He said more he didn't know the scope of his responsibilities beyond assisting him in coaching - that's another issue in and of itself. BUT 1, in Germany technical directors commonly sit on the bench and two, if someone's job is to oversee the pathways between academy to first team, him having an intimate knowledge of the first team is more than fine.
I was not serious, but you just open a can of worm. Why didn't Fletch sit on the bench until after Ole, Carrick, McKenna left? He had been our technical director for a while at that point. Will he continue to stay on the bench after this stint as technical director, or this stint is a moot point?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
If anyone bothered to read the report the fan said he wasn't even saying anything to Fletcher, he was bemoaning the general lack of desire from the players and Fletcher seemingly took offense and yelled back, to which the fan then yelled back that none of you care and clearly you don't put in the effort. The fan is 100% correct if you read the article, they need telling and quite frankly the fact that Darren Fletcher is sat on the bench as a Technical Director is an absolute joke and a ridiculous nepotism appointment, him and Scott McTominay can both sod off as far as i'm concerned as the club is an absolute state and both are vastly underqualified and cannot back up their mouth with their ability
The ironic thing about your statement here is that Fletcher is inherently a lot more qualified than the fan to comment on what the club needs/doesn't need,

But of course fans entitlement grow the more the discourse grows, and it inevitably ends up with a toxic atmosphere, just like Arsenal has been up until the middle of this season.

Fans are fickle.

Deery

Dreary
Maybe he was hurling vile abuse all game? You know - like a personified version of this place.
And maybe he wasn’t.
I didn't, it's not worth the time of day. Both the fan and Fletcher are well within their rights to voice their opinions. Not everything has to be a massive deal just because someone is employed at the club.
Not when you’re representing the club you shouldn’t, wouldn’t have happened in the past and doesn’t happen at other clubs, I think it unprofessional and we should be above that being one of the biggest clubs in the world, just my opinion.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
“Who the f are you?” A paying fan, one of millions without whom a rotational player like you who realistically only had around 2 truly top seasons would be absolutely nothing without their contributions to your wages.

Anyway, what is a technical director doing next to Rangnick? Is he Ralf’s boss or the 2nd in command? What’s Chris Armas then? An absolute shambles, we don’t even have hierarchical order at the top, and people expect us to challenge for the title. Imagine him sat next to EtH and RvP next season…
Calm down son, he didn't say anything wrong form the looks of the video. And Fletcher was a great servant for us for more than just 2 seasons. Give your head a wobble.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Calm down son, he didn't say anything wrong form the looks of the video. And Fletcher was a great servant for us for more than just 2 seasons. Give your head a wobble.
It's not going to help the memory issues.

crossy1686

career ending
Not when you’re representing the club you shouldn’t, wouldn’t have happened in the past and doesn’t happen at other clubs, I think it unprofessional and we should be above that being one of the biggest clubs in the world, just my opinion.
It's nothing. People want footballers to have more personality then want them fired when they react emotionally to something that's annoyed them. The fan paid his money, he is entitled to his opinion to a degree, but at the same time don't be surprised if someone disagree's with said opinion, especially those who's work you are essentially criticising.

If Fletch would have got up and hit the guy then you'd have a point, but disagreements and arguments are perfectly fine in sport.

JPRouve

Scout
It's nothing. People want footballers to have more personality then want them fired when they react emotionally to something that's annoyed them. The fan paid his money, he is entitled to his opinion to a degree, but at the same time don't be surprised if someone disagree's with said opinion, especially those who's work you are essentially criticising.

If Fletch would have got up and hit the guy then you'd have a point, but disagreements and arguments are perfectly fine in sport.
And that's why I had no issue with Rashford a few weeks ago. Fans can criticize players to their faces but players don't have to stay silent, as long as no one goes too far.

Deery

Dreary

He’s not a footballer though, he’s a technical director and should be showing more professionalism and restraint. If this is the way those higher up are behaving then it will only trickle down to the players as well.

JPRouve

Scout
He’s not a footballer though, he’s a technical director and should be showing more professionalism and restraint. If this is the way those higher up are behaving then it will only trickle down to the players as well.
To be fair it would be nice if it trickled down. A bunch of scrappy players would be a sight to behold. Imagine a team of technically gifted Simeones or Keanes.

crossy1686

career ending
And the players are well within their rights to be frustrated with people giving them shit also. I'd prefer them to give it back, at least that shows they care. Worse case scenario is they don't retaliate, take their money and keep turning up happy with that cycle.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Fletcher is assisting Rangnick because we lost Carrick and McKenna. You lot need to start paying more attention.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
What are you talking about? What proof have you that he cannot do his job about looking after the youth pathway?
What proof have you got that he can do his job? I think that would be a more useful question. Ole sacked in November, and the “Technical Director” and “Football Director” write the season off and are still going through “rounds of interviews”. There’s no direct evidence that Fletcher is bad at his job, but there’s nothing that says he’s good either, is there? And he’s definitely under-qualified. Maybe he’s amazing, but something will need to show soon.

Deery

Dreary
To be fair it would be nice if it trickled down. A bunch of scrappy players would be a sight to behold. Imagine a team of technically gifted Simeones or Keanes.
I don’t think unprofessionalism in this team would benefit anyone. Keane was fiery on the pitch but also Man Utd captain and held the club in high regard, different to showing fans contempt.
And the players are well within their rights to be frustrated with people giving them shit also. I'd prefer them to give it back, at least that shows they care. Worse case scenario is they don't retaliate, take their money and keep turning up happy with that cycle.
Well I disagree this isn’t some kick around down the park, this is multimillion pound business and there should be a certain level of professionalism.

Denis79

Fan is rightfully showing his frustration and Fletcher is being a good buddy defending his friends.

L1nk

The ironic thing about your statement here is that Fletcher is inherently a lot more qualified than the fan to comment on what the club needs/doesn't need,

But of course fans entitlement grow the more the discourse grows, and it inevitably ends up with a toxic atmosphere, just like Arsenal has been up until the middle of this season.

Fans are fickle.
Is it fan entitlement, or is it fans who pay hard earned money to watch this absolute shower show up on the pitch and clearly not give a toss about how they perform, no desire, no energy, no fight. Of course if you are paying to go watch them constantly you are going to get frustrated, are fans supposed to stay quiet and say nothing rather than voice their discontent? As I said and the article says, he didn't aim anything at Fletcher but rather was bemoaning the situation as a whole, it was Fletcher that turned around and decided to engage, is the fan supposed to sit back and shrink like a church mouse because Fletcher says so?

Zoo

That fan is an idiot doing a follow-up exclusive with Luckhurst afterwards. Got no time for that.

JPRouve

Scout
Why do people always assume that the money spent by fans was hardly earned?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Fans are fickle.
The same dof that sanction 400m on dross?

macheda14

I was not serious, but you just open a can of worm. Why didn't Fletch sit on the bench until after Ole, Carrick, McKenna left? He had been our technical director for a while at that point. Will he continue to stay on the bench after this stint as technical director, or this stint is a moot point?
‘when we lost McKenna, Carrick and that other coach there were few coaches that had a link with the players.’

Moriarty

i really can’t get my head around why the fans abuse have now turned their heads to Fletcher.
I imagine it must be upsetting for Fletcher to see some of the half-hearted performances some of the current players are putting in. Fletcher may not have been the most gifted player for us, but he gave his all for the shirt when he did play and didn't saunter around the pitch like he was playing in a testimonial.

Deery

Dreary
Is it fan entitlement, or is it fans who pay hard earned money to watch this absolute shower show up on the pitch and clearly not give a toss about how they perform, no desire, no energy, no fight. Of course if you are paying to go watch them constantly you are going to get frustrated, are fans supposed to stay quiet and say nothing rather than voice their discontent? As I said and the article says, he didn't aim anything at Fletcher but rather was bemoaning the situation as a whole, it was Fletcher that turned around and decided to engage, is the fan supposed to sit back and shrink like a church mouse because Fletcher says so?
Exactly it’s part of the supporter experience to get caught up in the moment and the emotion. It’s basically what the club are selling, you can’t have a technical director turn round and tell them to shut the feck up or whatever, it’s ludicrous.

Green_Red

I like the way McTominay side stepped the criticism and then hid from criticism, he's consistent if nothing else.

ti vu

‘when we lost McKenna, Carrick and that other coach there were few coaches that had a link with the players.’
Didn't answer the question I posed about technical director role.

Fletch didn't do it previous as technical director in other leagues. So now with the circumstance, he's doing it as a coach (?), after he clarified his responsibility is overseeing pathway for academy to first team. As a coach he's under qualified, and with limited coaching experience; which seems like he's here because he knows the club and the players more than anything else. Remember that Mike Phelan is still around.

Will he play his technical director role on the bench like his peers in other league after this stint, or your initial post is gonna be shown as convenient comparison?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
What proof have you got that he can do his job? I think that would be a more useful question. Ole sacked in November, and the “Technical Director” and “Football Director” write the season off and are still going through “rounds of interviews”. There’s no direct evidence that Fletcher is bad at his job, but there’s nothing that says he’s good either, is there? And he’s definitely under-qualified. Maybe he’s amazing, but something will need to show soon.
If he’s under qualified then there’s lots of under qualified technical directors across Europe. Anyway in my opinion he’s only a technical director in name, not by actual role. His role is the youth pathway, such as elanga getting a chance, and since he was asked to help he’s also doing coaching. It’s not rocket science, I don’t know why some of you are making it into a big deal. It just screams that yous don’t know what yous are commenting on

Red00012

That fan is an idiot doing a follow-up exclusive with Luckhurst afterwards. Got no time for that.
He’s probably facing a ban so I presume he wanted his side of the story to be told

macheda14

Fletch didn't do it previous as technical director in other leagues. So now with the circumstance, he's doing it as a coach (?), after he clarified his responsibility is overseeing pathway for academy to first team. As a coach he's under qualified, and with limited coaching experience; which seems like he's here because he knows the club and the players more than anything else.

Will he play his technical director role on the bench like his peers in other league after this stint, or your initial post is gonna be shown as convenient comparison?
I mean under Ole he was around, mostly in the stands, but also sometimes on the bench, but he was very much a presence on the training ground. However, he's now stepped up to take a more prominent position in the coaching staff due to the vacuum left by Carrick, McKennea etc as suggested by Rangnick. It remains to be seen if he'll continue be as present on the bench, but currently we can go by what has been said by Rangnick and reported by I think Andy Mitten in the Talk of The Devils podcast towards the beginning of Rangnick's stint.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Fletch didn't do it previous as technical director in other leagues. So now with the circumstance, he's doing it as a coach (?), after he clarified his responsibility is overseeing pathway for academy to first team. As a coach he's under qualified, and with limited coaching experience; which seems like he's here because he knows the club and the players more than anything else.

Did zidane work as a technical director before? Did the guy at Munich? No
There are plenty of examples
Fletcher coached the u16 and was praised for his work there, he is still working on some of his badges.
the coaching he is doing allows him to do his badges whilst also helps out the temp manager who only has2 coaches.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I've sat in seats immediately behind the coaches and players. It's nothing new the coaches getting advice (I'm being polite) from those nearby. This time Fletcher lost his temper. He should in all reality not be getting involved with fans who are venting frustration. It only became news due to Fletcher responding.

ti vu

Fletcher coached the u16 and was praised for his work there, he is still working on some of his badges.
the coaching he is doing allows him to do his badges whilst also helps out the temp manager who only has2 coaches.
Why our Zidane, Pep version in Ole was so underwhelming?

Convenient comparison while ignoring the key difference that our structure/ building progress is not comparable ( RR said so)

Who else left with Ole, Carrick and McKenna because the number doesn't make sense if 3 out 3 in? Ole didn't really brought his coaching team from Norway, nor they mass exodus when he left us. Phelan is still here doing whatever he does.

How many coaches jump from U16 only a short period, straight to first team?

PoTMS

All those other clubs have systems in place where it works. Our club, on the other hand, is a complete shambles. We can't afford for our technical director to be learning on the job too.