Television Black Widow

Sylar

Some really tragic and sad news coming from Marvel tonight.

Scarlett Johansson aged another day today.

Will this tragedy ever end? :(
:lol:

Surely you get the snack for 1/10 the price at the store outside and sneak it in?

Or is that a Dutch thing:nervous:
I've done this forever especially when you have an unlimited card and watch so much

Don't have to really sneak it in though

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Some really tragic and sad news coming from Marvel tonight.

Scarlett Johansson aged another day today.

Will this tragedy ever end? :(
This reminds of when those leaked pics of her hit the internet and some people were saying she didn't look that hot. Crazy people.

choccy77

This reminds of when those leaked pics of her hit the internet and some people were saying she didn't look that hot. Crazy people.
Don't remember that, but I'm basically taking the Mickey out of everyone including myself on this thread.

I mean Scarlett .... who wouldn't want to take her on a night of bingo right?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
First time in theaters since seeing Joker in 2019? Nothing special but entertaining enough. More like an early days marvel movie.

I kinda forgot she was dead. I am guessing it was the whole soul stone stuff in endgame
feck completely forgot. Was wondering when she died after the credits.

el3mel

It's a serviceable movie. Quite enjoyable in fact. The action scenes were fun. Unfortunately the plot was dumb. The pheromonal lock thing has to be one of the dumbest ideas in MCU up till now. Was also really disappointed by the whole Taskmaster role in the movie. The last chase while the station was collapsing lost a lot of tension thanks to you knowing Natasha survives anyway.

But it's not shit. Just feels a little bit of a low quality movie in comparison to most other MCU stuff. Fun but dumb.

About 6 or 7/10 depending on you caring about the story or just in it for the action.

The post credit scene seems to tie in Falcon and The Winter Soldier show. Marvel seem to be moving in different directions with the multiverse on one side (Wanda, Loki and Doctor Strange) and this whole Madame Hydra, White Widow, US Agent and now Clint plot line.. Not sure how both plot lines will end up colliding or if they'll ever collide. The future seems more interesting than what's currently presented though.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Cinemas have a place, but not the clone models you see everywhere now.

When I was a kid, my mum worked for a cinema and the experience in those days was so different. It actually meant something, like it was a big deal and the films were also good.

Now it often feels like a lot of films are pushed out, solely to keep the massive cinema chains in business, not from ticket sales, but the crazy prices of all the food and drink they sell.

A lot of cinemas are a mess, often some have mice running rampant, leaking roofs bad sound and it's not even an intentional 4 or 5d movie !

Yes, some films are of course worth seeing on the cinema screens, but that's probably 20 to 30% at most per year maximum.
Cinemas used to mean something. It used to matter. Films were actually good back in the day.

Drifter

American
Better than I thought it would be. The subject was dark, but I can't help but feel that it was treated so casually. When Yelena was explaining what happened to them, something that most women dread, it was like oh well move on. Once again Marvel messed around with the main villain, they really weakened the character.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
That was better than I thought it would be I guess.

Ray Winstone chucking his hat in the ring for worst ever movie accent a clear highlight. It was so all over the place (Cockney, South African, Russian) that I like to think there were multiple takes with the Director asking him to "do it with a Russian twang this time" and Ray being completely confused at all the fuss like that scene in the Simpsons where Mr Burns is asking Don Mattingly to get his sideboards trimmed. Ultimately then they got to the editing suite and realised they had nothing with any continuity and just thought "feck it, nobody will care. Put in a scene with some awful cgi heads superimposed over historical photos to distract them."

choccy77

Various sources reporting this, inc Wall Street Journal

Scarlett Johansson, star of the latest Marvel movie “Black Widow,” filed a lawsuit Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court against Disney, alleging her contract was breached when the media giant released the film on its Disney+ streaming service at the same time as its theatrical debut.

Ms. Johansson said in the suit that her agreement with Disney’s Marvel Entertainment guaranteed an exclusive theatrical release, and her salary was based in large part on the box-office performance of the film.
“Disney intentionally induced Marvel’s breach of the agreement, without justification, in order to prevent Ms. Johansson from realizing the full benefit of her bargain with Marvel,” the suit said.

Disney couldn’t be reached immediately for comment.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Various sources reporting this, inc Wall Street Journal

Scarlett Johansson, star of the latest Marvel movie “Black Widow,” filed a lawsuit Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court against Disney, alleging her contract was breached when the media giant released the film on its Disney+ streaming service at the same time as its theatrical debut.

Ms. Johansson said in the suit that her agreement with Disney’s Marvel Entertainment guaranteed an exclusive theatrical release, and her salary was based in large part on the box-office performance of the film.
“Disney intentionally induced Marvel’s breach of the agreement, without justification, in order to prevent Ms. Johansson from realizing the full benefit of her bargain with Marvel,” the suit said.

Disney couldn’t be reached immediately for comment.
I think the same thing happened with Wonder Woman 1984 & Gal Gadot got an additional payment since it was a dual cinema & streaming release. Scarlett will probably get the same.

Sylar

Although its hard to sympathise with millionaires asking for more money, if her contract was breachedby a multi-billionaire company, then yeah, she should do it

BU tiI think she gets a pay off too

caid

Thought it was a bad movie but i enjoyed it despite that.
Just felt weird with scenes starting in a trailer, swapping to a guy stood in front of a really weak, dodgy green screen and back to the trailer with completely different lighting and what looked like a wig. The accents changing every 20 secs, none of the premises making any sense if thought about for more than 5 seconds, the ridiculous action scenes (they started strong, being somewhat grounded but completely jumped the shark around the point they flipped their car into a train station), it adding nothing to a fairly underwritten character (half her lines were recycled from previous movies). CGI was often weak
Florence Pugh and David Harbour were fun and their scenes were strong. The scene sitting at the kitchen table was great but beyond that you were looking at a few good lines dotted around a bad movie. They should have released it before endgame too, so i didnt have to figure out their stupid timeline, which is messy enough without prologues.
I kind of enjoyed it weirdly despite it being a bit rubbish. Maybe the stupid accents saved it a bit? I'd give it a 6/10 and say your not missing anything if you skip it but theres worse ways to spend an evening

Hamnat

She should easily get more money as long as its a reasonable ask. Pre Covid this would have been a billion dollar film or close to it, even Captain Marvel was. So there would have been an expectation of compensation based on that. But, post Covid nothing is making that much and this wouldn't have either even without the Disney+ same day.

Oldyella

Although its hard to sympathise with millionaires asking for more money, if her contract was breachedby a multi-billionaire company, then yeah, she should do it

BU tiI think she gets a pay off too
Would rather in her pocket than Disneys(its close though!)

Sylar

Would rather in her pocket than Disneys(its close though!)
Thinking about this, its not just about money but principle too.
ScarJo is obviously a top name and a rich rich lady. But if Disney get away with this on her (if they did say this is exclusive to cinema release + her performance is based on box office), then there is nothing stopping them from screwing over younger (less rich) actors, especially those who dont have the money to then sue and pursue it.

The movie was bad for sure, but movie quality doesnt come into consideration here. Marvel movies on general have been making 1billion. If you add in the pandemic you would think it would maybe make less, but add in D+ and it certainly makes less. According to Wiki its made 320m box office.
(And made 60million on D+ on the opening weekend)

Basically, just pay her (especially as most articles state ScarJo and her reps tried to contact Disney/Marvel and were blanked, so this was necessary)

0le

Whatever the outcome, their response seems childish:
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...sney-scarlett-johansson-lawsuit-b1893397.html
"There is no merit whatsoever to this filing. The lawsuit is especially sad and distressing in its callous disregard for the horrific and prolonged global effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. Disney has fully complied with Ms. Johansson’s contract and furthermore, the release of Black Widow on Disney+ with Premier Access has significantly enhanced her ability to earn additional compensation on top of the $20M she has received to date."
They have history for this as well with Robin Williams:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Williams#Voice_roles
Due to Disney breaking an agreement with Williams regarding the use of the Genie in the advertising for Aladdin, Williams refused to sign on for the direct-to-video sequel The Return of Jafar (1994), where the Genie was instead voiced by Dan Castellaneta. When Jeffrey Katzenberg was replaced by Joe Roth as Walt Disney Studios chairman, Roth organized a public apology to Williams.[96] Williams would, in turn, reprise the role in the second sequel Aladdin and the King of Thieves (1996).

ha_rooney

Using Covid as an excuse :lol:

I do wonder if Scarlett would’ve taken this action if she had a future with MCU. Irrespective, if they’ve breached the original terms because of Covid, at the very least they should have negotiated a change & given her something to recompense what she’s otherwise lost out.

Oldyella

ScarJo is obviously a top name and a rich rich lady. But if Disney get away with this on her (if they did say this is exclusive to cinema release + her performance is based on box office), then there is nothing stopping them from screwing over younger (less rich) actors, especially those who dont have the money to then sue and pursue it.

The movie was bad for sure, but movie quality doesnt come into consideration here. Marvel movies on general have been making 1billion. If you add in the pandemic you would think it would maybe make less, but add in D+ and it certainly makes less. According to Wiki its made 320m box office.

Basically, just pay her (especially as most articles state ScarJo and her reps tried to contact Disney/Marvel and were blanked, so this was necessary)
Yeah definitely this.

choccy77

According to a lot of sources, the outcome of this potential lawsuit, will have a big impact on the industry and the future on streaming rights etc

Sylar

I hope she wins. Blaming covid make sense, when youre not a multibillion dollar company

Its easy for Disney also to do this to a person who probably has no future with Marvel. They would never do this with Hemsworth or Holland? I know there were issues with Sony and Disney/Marvel but dont think it was around similar.

Sylar

Been out of it, but just read Emma Stone and Emily Blunt are pondering or may be joining this and suing as well for the Cruella and Jungle cruise movies.

ha_rooney

Been out of it, but just read Emma Stone and Emily Blunt are pondering or may be joining this and suing as well for the Cruella and Jungle cruise movies.
Apparently Feige is not happy with Disney’s statement on Scarlett & tried to get them to make things right with her before it got to litigation. Pixar people were also unhappy previously with Soul being released on Disney+ (for free as well). This looks like it’s going to get messy for Disney.

I doubt future films will be released on Premier Access. They’ll probably follow WB/Paramount’s plans to have a much shorter exclusive window for cinemas before making it available for streaming (30-45 days).

choccy77

It's exploded now.

Scarlett's Agent responds to Disney's statement.

I want to address the Walt Disney Company’s statement that was issued in response to the lawsuit filed against them yesterday by our client Scarlett Johansson. They have shamelessly and falsely accused Ms. Johansson of being insensitive to the global COVID pandemic, in an attempt to make her appear to be someone they and I know she isn’t.

Scarlett has been Disney’s partner on nine movies, which have earned Disney and its shareholders billions. The company included her salary in their press statement in an attempt to weaponize her success as an artist and businesswoman, as if that were something she should be ashamed of. Scarlett is extremely proud of the work that she, and all of the actors, writers, directors, producers, and the Marvel creative team have been a part of for well over a decade.

This suit was filed as a result of Disney’s decision to knowingly violate Scarlett’s contract. They have very deliberately moved the revenue stream and profits to the Disney+ side of the company, leaving artistic and financial partners out of their new equation. That’s it, pure and simple.

Disney’s direct attack on her character and all else they implied is beneath the company that many of us in the creative community have worked with successfully for decades.

choccy77

Apparently Feige is not happy with Disney’s statement on Scarlett & tried to get them to make things right with her before it got to litigation. Pixar people were also unhappy previously with Soul being released on Disney+ (for free as well). This looks like it’s going to get messy for Disney.

I doubt future films will be released on Premier Access. They’ll probably follow WB/Paramount’s plans to have a much shorter exclusive window for cinemas before making it available for streaming (30-45 days).
Issue is, these films were never designed to be released on Disney pre cinema release, hence the way the contracts are written re income revenues for the stars etc.

Disney breached SJ contract in order to release it via Disney and therefore limiting her earning potential as agreed within the contract.

They made no attempt to renegotiate prior or even had any continuity for it within the contract.

SJ will be the winner here im sure in court and I suspect Disney will settle this very quickly to save further damage.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Watched it last night would go as far as maybe 7/10. 6 at worst.

I quite liked the beginning and also the last 45 mins or so but most of what was inbetween was weak.

Thought the cast were good it was the story which meandered a bit too much at points.

Nowhere near Marvel's worst though and made me laugh a few times.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Saw this last night. Was pretty boring.

David Harbour as Red Guardian was great. Ray Winstone was awful. Couple of hammy accents as well (Melina and Winstone were the worst).

I thought Taskmaster was really poorly used. Interestingly, the actress that played Taskmaster was the Bond girl from Quantum of Solace.

Good that they gave Black Widow her own movie in the end though.