Television Black Widow

choccy77

I think long term we’ll see more movies streaming at home for a premium fee at the same time as theatrical release. For example some of the less desirable Marvek properties which still benefit from general association with the brand. I paid $30 for premier access to Black Widow so myself my daughter and my stepson could watch it but had it not been available through streaming, it’s not a title I ever would have bothered going to the cinema to see. I’d have waited for it to come out on VOD for about $6. The more anticipated upcoming titles like Thor: Love and Thunder, I’ll certainly go to the cinema for. I do feel like it’s a whole additional market that can help generate better returns for less anticipated films.

I know many filmmakers are upset about some platforms decision to stream so much this year, but I’m loving it. Can’t wait for Dune. I know the director said it’s meant to be viewed at the theatre but I love the privacy and comfort of home viewing. Especially as I have the set up to mimic a cinema viewing. I think charging a premium for that will have legs.
To be honest, Cinemas now to me are not a must. I have a 50inch 4k TV and can relax and chill with ease.

Maybe the odd film is worth it, but otherwise it's not a big deal.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
To be honest, Cinemas now to me are not a must. I have a 50inch 4k TV and can relax and chill with ease.

Maybe the odd film is worth it, but otherwise it's not a big deal.
I agree. I moved into a rather spacious loft this last year and put in an 85” QLED 4K Samsung with full premium Klipsch sound. I honestly feel better here than I do at the movies. Only downside is the aspect ratio meaning you get the black bars top and bottom for most films not adapted for TV, but if the screen is large enough even that isn’t an issue. I nearly went for OLED, which is spectacular, but the cost of $5/$6k for a comparable screen size was just too much to justify the difference.

When I go to the movies these days I typically either go weeks after initial release and/or to a midnight showing so I largely have the theatre to myself. I’ve never been a fan of a packed movie theatre. I’ve had so many films ruined by people laughing at the wrong times.

Oldyella

I agree. I moved into a rather spacious loft this last year and put in an 85” QLED 4K Samsung with full premium Klipsch sound. I honestly feel better here than I do at the movies. Only downside is the aspect ratio meaning you get the black bars top and bottom for most films not adapted for TV, but if the screen is large enough even that isn’t an issue. I nearly went for OLED, which is spectacular, but the cost of $5/$6k for a comparable screen size was just too much to justify the difference.

When I go to the movies these days I typically either go weeks after initial release and/or to a midnight showing so I largely have the theatre to myself. I’ve never been a fan of a packed movie theatre. I’ve had so many films ruined by people laughing at the wrong times.
A packed theatre is really hit or miss to me. I have had some incredible experiences in packed theaters. But have also had some films ruined for the same reason.

choccy77

A packed theatre is really hit or miss to me. I have had some incredible experiences in packed theaters. But have also had some films ruined for the same reason.
The moment someone cheered for Ray and Kylo kissing did it for me.

Never taking my dad again :rolleyes:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
That’s a fairer interpretation of packed theatres than my post. I enjoyed watching some films in a packed theatre tbf. But by and large it’s not my first choice.

:lol: FFS

Sylar

:lol:

Agree with this
Hate people who go on the phone too

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I love a packed teatre. It's hilarious during fight scenes. The best packed teatre moment for me was during one of the Twilight movies when everyone was dying. People were having mental breakdowns because they thought Edward was dying. I read the books so I knew exactly what was happening. I was collapsed on the floor laughing my head off while the lady next to me was literally bawling :lol:

Sylar

I love a packed teatre. It's hilarious during fight scenes. The best packed teatre moment for me was during one of the Twilight movies when everyone was dying. People were having mental breakdowns because they thought Edward was dying. I read the books so I knew exactly what was happening. I was collapsed on the floor laughing my head off while the lady next to me was literally bawling :lol:
When kids (and some adults) were crying after seeing the events of Avengers IW snap

Beautiful

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I remember going to see Return of the Jedi in the cinema (yes I am that old!) in Botswana. Every time a storm trooper was shot people clapped and cheered and when the Death Star blew up, the whole cinema erupted with people jumping up and down and cheering as though England had just scored! Best cinema moment ever, I loved it.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
This was bang average.

I think it would have worked better as one of the Disney + mini series.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
For all those saying they prefer watching at home, just remember that this is the route that will ultimately kill blockbuster movies.

Within an hour of black widow releasing on Disney + there were full HD and 4K rips on the torrent sites rather than the shitty cams you get with cinema only releases.

Studios are going to hemorrhage money and the days of $300 million blockbusters will be gone.

Sweet Square

For all those saying they prefer watching at home, just remember that this is the route that will ultimately kill blockbuster movies.

Within an hour of black widow releasing on Disney + there were full HD and 4K rips on the torrent sites rather than the shitty cams you get with cinema only releases.

Studios are going to hemorrhage money and the days of $300 million blockbusters will be gone.
:drool:

decorativeed

Maybe, and obviously only a cad and a scoundrel would download those copies rather than forking over their hard-earned to the multi-billion dollar conglomerates, but I can hardly see any difference between the production values of a big-screen 'blockbuster' like BW and the likes of Mandalorian, which was never considered for a cinema release. I'm not sure what the impact will be, but I am sure I'd be satisfied to watch slightly cheaper productions in the comfort of my home rather than with a bunch of noisy twats looking at their phones every 2 minutes.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

I don’t think it will kill the blockbuster movies, there will still be plenty who choose to view films in the cinema just for that experience & films like MCU will still be big budget movies.

Personally I like having the option of getting a new release at home on the same day for additional cost. Alternatively, I think they’ll reduce the gap between cinema only release & then home release. Pretty sure WB are going to release films to stream after 30 days in the cinema from 2022.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )

Movies don't feel the same for me when I watch it at home. It doesn't feel that special or exciting. I love the whole experience of going to the movies. I love going there, getting my snack, the trailers etc

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Think I'll need a break from Marvel after Loki.

This was a bit like TeneT. One watch is almost too much. Full time cast of Jeremy Renner could be superb for both characters. Forced fillers are never great in form of a movie.

choccy77

I'd rather watch at home a well thought out movie full of suspense and logic than a massive cluster of explosions for 90 minutes that requires little effort on the part of the writers and directors, which has become the norm for last 20 or so years

choccy77

Movies don't feel the same for me when I watch it at home. It doesn't feel that special or exciting. I love the whole experience of going to the movies. I love going there, getting my snack, the trailers etc
Cinemas have a place, but not the clone models you see everywhere now.

When I was a kid, my mum worked for a cinema and the experience in those days was so different. It actually meant something, like it was a big deal and the films were also good.

Now it often feels like a lot of films are pushed out, solely to keep the massive cinema chains in business, not from ticket sales, but the crazy prices of all the food and drink they sell.

A lot of cinemas are a mess, often some have mice running rampant, leaking roofs bad sound and it's not even an intentional 4 or 5d movie !

Yes, some films are of course worth seeing on the cinema screens, but that's probably 20 to 30% at most per year maximum.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )

When I was a kid, my mum worked for a cinema and the experience in those days was so different. It actually meant something, like it was a big deal and the films were also good.

Now it often feels like a lot of films are pushed out, solely to keep the massive cinema chains in business, not from ticket sales, but the crazy prices of all the food and drink they sell.

A lot of cinemas are a mess, often some have mice running rampant, leaking roofs bad sound and it's not even an intentional 4 or 5d movie !

Yes, some films are of course worth seeing on the cinema screens, but that's probably 20 to 30% at most per year maximum.
The cinemas I go to are very nice and I only go to select movies. The next one I'll go see is Suicide Squad. The theatre closest to me is an Imax theatre and it has reclining seats. I get the tickets from Costco for half the price I would pay at the movies.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
The film was a letdown, same with the Loki series and the FAWS series. The only decent MCU series was WandaVision and I didnt expect that to be any good so was pleasantly surprised.

AaronRedDevil

The cinemas I go to are very nice and I only go to select movies. The next one I'll go see is Suicide Squad. The theatre closest to me is an Imax theatre and it has reclining seats. I get the tickets from Costco for half the price I would pay at the movies.

I want to die there. Not some shitty theatre where I am.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

To be fair back in those days seeing movies in the cinema is a different level of enjoyment.

We dont have much options back then. It's the cinema or wait a long time for dvd release.

I think internet and the ease or pirating and legal stream made the whole movie going experience being taken for granted.

These and probably the advancement of film making technology. We've seen many good movies technically made nothing impresses us anymore.

I still remember seeing the first lord of the ring and said to myself that's actually very cool. Now I'd even forget the avengers 1 week after seeing it.

choccy77

$100m in 6 days at US box office. A pandemic record.

Not bad, for an old, knackered out, past it actor with a kid huh :lol:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Loki cost $150m. I think the industry will be just fine.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

I see your recliner and raise you a properly comfy couch with footrests and table service. £5 a ticket Mon-Thursday. £10 Fri-Sunday.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I see your recliner and raise you a properly comfy couch with footrests and table service. £5 a ticket Mon-Thursday. £10 Fri-Sunday.

Well check you out. This is nice but I'd be worried about how they clean that upholstery. Leather is easier to clean. Can't really beat the price for those tickets.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Surely you get the snack for 1/10 the price at the store outside and sneak it in?

Or is that a Dutch thing:nervous:

choccy77

Some really tragic and sad news coming from Marvel tonight.

Scarlett Johansson aged another day today.

Will this tragedy ever end? :(