"Blackface" Discussion

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
You have to be a special kind of dumb to think this is ok.

Jagga7

:lol: He must have thought it was great posting it on his twitter. What an absolute bellend.

Strachans Cigar

That sentence is amazing. I mean, Larry Bird was a basketball player and not a bad one.:lol:
Tbf, Griez has already stated he was paying homage to the Harlem Globetrotters. Not exactly known for their proliferation of white players.

Bwuk

All of this could have been avoided if he had simply put on the outfit and fake afro. Everyone would have known what his costume was.
Yes that's right. Don't say it, don't show it, just heavily imply it. That'll be ok right?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
White people love wearing our skin as if it’s a costume, then when we get upset they tell US that it’s not racist and we shouldn’t be offended.

Honestly I’m sick of it and some of these replies are disgusting.

And anyone who compares this to White Chicks isn’t even worth it.

ReallyUSA

Ok, thanks.

Just read about the blackface stuff, pretty grim. Not sure Griezmann knows about it, like i didn't either, he is just a big fan of basketball afaik. But yeah, not the wisest thing to do.
Yeah I am not going to jump out, and say the kid is racist. Just a real bonehead mistake, especially in the global game. I don't know him, I can only go off what I see on social, and it doesn't look like he hates black people. just a real bonehead move.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Tbf, Griez has already stated he was paying homage to the Harlem Globetrotters. Not exactly known for their proliferation of white players.
The Harlem Globetrotters have had white players. Plus once again he did not need to use blackface for people to get the costume.

Deleted member 101472

I was convinced that NBA stood for “now Brendan’s annoyed” after his 69 and out run with Celtic.

What an idiot though, the first page of this thread has enough correct answers as to the situation. Any further discussion will yield NOTHING.

SAFicus

There was plenty of White NBA All Stars in the 80s. And he could dress up like a black NBA player without resorting to blackface.
Because a white lad can never aspire to be like/ admire a black lad?

When are we going to reclaim our futures from the mistakes of our past? A past most of us weren't even adults in I might add.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
What a shite costume; the black paint is completely pointless; no one looks like that.

White people love wearing our skin as if it’s a costume, then when we get upset they tell US that it’s not racist and we shouldn’t be offended.

Who appointed you the grand elder of all black people?

cj_sparky

Shocking it would be like Kyle Walker going to a Christmas party as Mr's Doubtfire.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Because a white lad can never aspire to be like/ admire a black lad?

When are we going to reclaim our futures crom the mistakes of our past? A past most of us weren't even adults in I might add.
He can do that without blackface. That is the part that is offensive.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

The act of doing it with the knowledge of it's history makes it racist, blacking up without the knowledge of it just makes him thick as two blanks. I don't think AG really understood what he was doing, or rather didn't think through the connotations - he's not exactly known for his intellect. People are right to be offended by it, but I dont think it makes him racist.

lsd

The Oracle
How are people here so stupid, do you know the history of blackface and what it represents, stop acting like there is nothing wrong with this

They are just trolling looking for attention .Noone with any brains would think blackface isn't offensive.

Anyone who does would be busy on the daily mail comments page as it's got the Mail now

haram

Some of the posts in here...

Im surprised some of you have not heard of the term 'blackface' before.

It's wrong. He's not racist though, just stupid.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The act itself is offensive, but I highly doubt there was racial intent.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Nah, he is just thick & ignorant as feck but so is society at large... problem is he being some sort of role model but not his fault nuclear engineers making £3k/month instead of £300k

MoneyMay

No surprise that @MoneyMay has his knickers in a twist again over something as simple as a party costume.
Weak reply. Hey, good thing about the internet is you'll be humbled. I'll give you another L, but this time I'll educate you, too.

Essentially, in the early 19th century, Blackface was used in minstrel shows by white people to portray black "characters" (why hire black actors when you can use Blackface?). Performances were built on stereotypes. Stereotypes like the black man who always has his eyes on white women (buck for example). Everything was dumbed down... Black people were portrayed as hypersexual, aggressive, lazy, ignorant, and thieves. So no, comparing it to white chicks or whatever other nonsense is not the same thing, that's false equivalency. Which is why I came for your neck.

Blackface isn't just makeup or shoe polish; it isn't paying homage to your favourite athlete; it's a tool that was introduced to degrade and demean black people. If you feel indignant when Blackface is referred to as racist, then you have a lot of learning and growing up to do.

It doesn't matter what your intention is, when the thing you are doing is racist.

You should also read this (quote from the article below).

"The ability to be ignorant, to be unaware of the history and consequences of racial bigotry, to simply do as one pleases, is a quintessential element of privilege. The ability to disparage, to demonize, to ridicule, and to engage in racially hurtful practices from the comfort of one's segregated neighborhoods and racially homogeneous schools reflects both privilege and power. The ability to blame others for being oversensitive, for playing the race card, or for making much ado about nothing are privileges codified structurally and culturally."
And this.

You're welcome.

Gopher Brown

Because that is the important part of this story.
Well, surely we are only discussing it because a) he’s famous and b) we might sign him.

I’m sure loads of footballers do stuff like this every day but we never mention it on here.

Captain Obvious

To all the people on here surprised and wondering what the controversy is...

Blackface stands for more than just "dark face" to black people, its history is embedded in oppression and racism. Im not black and even i know that its offensive to BLACK people. Not whites. If youre not offended then youre probably not black

griezzman was wrong and very stupid. If you defend him or think its not as bad, go out to a black neighborhood and wear a NBA outfit + blackface and see what happens

JSArsenal

Yes that's right. Don't say it, don't show it, just heavily imply it. That'll be ok right?
I did not mean it like that. Griezmann's stated intention was to simply dress up as a Harlem Globetrotter. If that was the case then even the afro is unnecessary because I'm sure people would recognize the harlem globetrotters' uniform. However my point was that he didn't need to and should not have done blackface, a player's skin colour is not part of a "costume".

I'm sure he'll be given the benefit of the doubt though with people saying he either doesn't know about the history of blackface and its implications or just call him a kid who made a stupid mistake. The latter being the go to excuse/justification whenever something similar to this comes up, note I don't mean here I'm speaking generally.